Josh McDaniels on spat with Tom Brady: We moved on quickly

Getty Images

During Sunday’s win over the Bills, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said something to quarterback Tom Brady (hopefully, “Nice throw, pretty boy”), and Brady didn’t like it. In fact, Brady blew a gasket, shouting “f–k you” to McDaniels and other assorted insults and/or profanities. (It’s believed that McDaniels reminded Brady that the receiver to whom Brady failed to accurately deliver the football was wide open, which is sort of like saying, “Nice throw, pretty boy.”)

In his weekly meeting with the media, McDaniels was asked about the heated exchange.

“It’s a very competitive game and emotional game and things like that can happen,” McDaniels said. “Being in the game a long time, and understanding that Tommy’s a very emotional person and emotional player; it’s part of what makes him great. You understand that those things happen, and it’s never personal. You move on quickly from it, and we did and we have. I love Tom and all those things he stands for and all the things he does for our team. That’s just a situation where you understand it and move on quickly from it and you focus on your job.”

“I’m not even thinking about lines or what have you,” McDaniels said. “I just know we’re all trying to win the game and sometimes things like that happen and you move on from them. You try to win the game and be a professional. That’s all I know and that’s what we did and that’s what we’ve done and we’re focused on getting ready for the Dolphins now.”

The truth is that Brady has the political capital accumulated to get away with shouting at one of his supervisors. Other players don’t, and for them the spat wouldn’t have been brushed off so nonchalantly.

38 responses to “Josh McDaniels on spat with Tom Brady: We moved on quickly

1. I’d say Brady has a lot more political capital than McDaniels does. I think if my meal ticket missed an open receiver, I’d probably just keep my mouth shut and assume that he was aware of it.

2. No news here, move on. Long time player who has done it all and has the respect of his coaches who also has a long time relationship with the coach. It happens. The alternative is the Jay Cutler “I don’t care” approach. No thanks.

3. I read McDaniel’s lips

“It’s a lot harder to throw a legally inflated football”

Not really, 54 TD’s and 6 INTS would suggest otherwise.

4. Waiting for the comments about how this is somehow a “double standard” as they compare Tom Brady to players that have accomplished very little…

5. This is why Brady is the GOAT. Dude is 40 years old , 5 superbowl wins , mid-season game , mid-game during a route of a lowly team and he’s screaming at his OC on the sideline. This kind of fire is what scouts should be looking for , not “arm talent” or whatever cute words scouts use to botch QB prognostication.

6. Sure Brady is arguably the greatest to ever play but does that someone how admonish him from a coach making remarks in fear of hurting his poor little feelings?

7. …It’s believed that McDaniels reminded Brady that the receiver to whom Brady failed to accurately deliver the football was wide open, which is sort of like saying, “Nice throw, pretty boy….
    ——————————————

It was Phillip Dorsett who was wide open, and Brady was apparently going to Cooks (not a good throw). My guess is McDaniels said something like ‘Didn’t you see Dorsett?’

I don’t think Brady likes that second guessing, and I think he has earned that right.

8. “Sure Brady is arguably the greatest to ever play but does that someone how admonish him from a coach making remarks in fear of hurting his poor little feelings?”

Pretty sure he was mad at himself more than the coach.

9. luckyforus says:
    December 5, 2017 at 1:59 pm
    I read McDaniel’s lips

“It’s a lot harder to throw a legally inflated football”
    —-
    Why would McDaniels be giving advice to Andrew Luck? 🙂

10. If Cam Newton does that, everyone is up in arms, and he’s “immature,” etc. But Tom Brady does it, and people say, “This is why Brady is the GOAT.”

I agree that Brady is probably the GOAT, but this is still a massive double-standard.

11. .
    Why is the quote “Nice throw, pretty boy” referenced twice in the post? McDaniels never said that. He used the term “wide open” to (rightfully) indicate to Brady that he threw into coverage when others were, in fact, wide open. It was very likely that Brady was aware of the situation before McDaniels spoke.

The incident is way overblown. It was just two high energy, highly competitive guys in the heat of battle, trying to win a game. It’s commonplace in the NFL. Nothing to see here.

12. “But is it the job of a player to blow up on his coach? McDaniels was asked whether a “thin line” exists between emotion and petulance.”

No it’s not a fine line at all. Petulance is the guy that turtles in the corner when his feelings are hurt or complains about every little thing. We’ve had plenty in this town over the years, Pedro, Manny, even Moss at the end. Tom ain’t one of ’em

13. terripet says:
    December 5, 2017 at 2:29 pm
    Josh is last year he will end up in Ny or Cincinnati

2 6 Rate This

—————

Definitely not NY. McDaniels knows what Mara has been involved with in regards to the cheating with Goodell.

They aren’t dumb.

14. schmitty2 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 2:18 pm

4 24 Rate This
    whywerule says:
    December 5, 2017 at 2:25 pm
    ——————————————

9 2 Rate This

————————

Diehard fan for 36 years, season tickets in my family since ’78:

Love Brady, but HATE when he does that. It’s a terrible look, passion or not.

I can see a quick little anger/reaction thingy, but to stand over him berating him for an extended period is a bad a look, along with McDaniels not telling him to shut up and sit down like O’Brien did in December of 2011 in DC.

Brady is not infallible. He missed a lot of open guys in 2013 too, when he had new WRs to break in.

Tom needs to open up that Circle of Trust more like Jack in Meet the Parents.

15. “stuff” happens. Remember that saying form the 70’s?

Not everything needs to be tuned into a feel good Hallmark movie. Not everything has to be explained.

16. Well, it worked. They started scoring afterwards, while holding the Bills in the second half to — consulting calculator here — zero points.

17. I did not see the confrontation, but if McDaniels really said something along the lines of a receiver being wide open he probably should have kept his moth shut. I’m sure TAB knew and was mad at himself. Probably does not need anyone rubbing salt in the wound.

18. Great news. Without McDaniels or any other Patriots OC, Brady would be lost. Brady is not like Manning who was his own offensive coordinator on the field sometimes to a fault.

19. In Teddy We Trust says:
    December 5, 2017 at 1:57 pm

———————————————————————-
    Exactly. The guy’s done jack all without TB12 as is his QB.

20. Ya tom is probably on the chopping block. He is way to old to trade now so the Pats are in a real pickle. Unless they get rid of the coach? Oh My!

Hey winning solves everything. The Steelers looked headed to a collision with the Pats and wow, dont know if the Pats can get by them, with the receivers they have. Very interesting game ahead.

21. Great news. Without McDaniels or any other Patriots OC, Brady would be lost. Brady is not like Manning who was his own offensive coordinator on the field sometimes to a fault.

——

I don’t know what justifies your speculation that Brady would be lost, but at least you indirectly acknowledge that playing as a team is more successful than making it all about 1 guy.

22. revelation123 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 4:05 pm
    Tom Brady is the most overrated QB I’ve ever seen.

4 3 Rate This

———————-

Yes and Bobby Orr or Michael Jordan were also really overrated.

My goodness, you people are mentally ill. I mean, a sports franchise had made 95% of its league customer base, absolutely bats*t crazy.

23. damnsureis says:
    December 5, 2017 at 3:32 pm
    Where is that ball coming from in the picture?
    ————————————————–
    Gisele was not pleased…

24. tylawspick6
    It takes a great team to win a Super Bowl, not a great QB.

What’s crazy is acting like the result of an entire season is due to 1 single player on a team. That’s golf, not football. In football, the contributions of the entire team matters. Including the Coaching and GM staff. Brady is great, but gets highly overrated due to how many people treat this game like the game of golf, rather than the game of football.

As the man we name the Super Bowl Trophy after pointed out:

“The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.”

– Vince Lombardi

25. So you don’t like his sideline demeanor? That’s what you want to criticize? OK – I’ll take that along with 5 SB wins.