Steelers’ latest statement on Ryan Shazier sounds less optimistic

Getty Images

A few hours after Monday night’s game ended, the Steelers issued a statement that gave some reason for optimism on the condition of their hospitalized linebacker, Ryan Shazier. The statement the Steelers issued on Tuesday afternoon sounded less optimistic.

In the overnight statement, the Steelers said that Shazier “continues to improve” and that there were “hopes of returning to Pittsburgh on Tuesday.”

The statement the Steelers released on Tuesday afternoon said nothing about Shazier improving but did confirm that he will not be able to leave the Cincinnati hospital for at least another day.

The Steelers have not said anything about whether Shazier can move his legs, or whether they expect him to make a full recovery. The team knows fans are concerned about Shazier and would presumably provide such information if they could.

The only good news the Steelers have provided is that Shazier is receiving excellent care, overseen by both the director of neurotrauma at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and the chief of neurosurgery at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. Millions of NFL fans are appreciative of the care Shazier is getting, and hoping for the best.

65 responses to “Steelers’ latest statement on Ryan Shazier sounds less optimistic

1. Hmm. I wonder what they are afraid to communicate about this progress?

Terrible stuff. No team or fans should have to go through this, but it’s unfortunate.

See what you tackle, folks. It’s really imperative that these guys never lose their fundamentals and are coached the right way, Pop Warner, all the way into the pros.

I don’t understand why guys lower the heads like that.

2. Tylaw, its instinct just like blinking… im with you i turned on the game and that was the first thing i saw, him laying there.
    hoping for the best for his future

3. Misleading. Other reports suggest he has a spinal concussion…a common injury that begins to resolve within 24-48 hours (although recovery can take much longer).

It was a scary play and definitely hoping for a full recovery…football or not.

4. ilovefootball25 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 4:56 pm
    People asking when he’s going to return to the team..that’s the last thing on anyone’s mind.

3 0 Rate This

————————

I would venture to guess, Shazier will be out for a while, if not the rest of the year, just as a precaution.

If he needs to stay there and can’t rehab back home, that is certainly concerning.

5. Have to hope for the best starting with him being able to walk again. He can worry about if or when he gets back on the field later

Hope he has a full recovery

6. If it is anything to do with his spinal cord he is most likely done playing for good. Hope he gets well.

7. He is one helluva player and I hope he makes a full recovery, it’s got to be one of the worst feelings in the world for any player in this league to even think that something like this will happen. I’m sure all true fans wish him a speedy recover but short of that a gradual continuation of improvement for this young man, should happen for his sake. Luck be with you Mr. Shazier!!!

8. The fact he has some mobility, as reported, is a very positive sign. It can take several days for a full range of motion to come back. The fact it hasn’t happened already means he likely has a spinal contusion and not a concussion. Wha is clear is he does not have a “complete spinal injury”.if that was the case he’d be paralyzed with no range of motion (or extremely limited).

This does not mean he will play this year. Or ever again. But he is likely on iOS way to being able to walk and enjoy a normal life. He jus may not play professional football again.

But it’s way too early to tell, one way or another. They can’t, and won’t, say anything because there isn’t anything to say. He’s still recovering.

9. delaney smith says:
    December 5, 2017 at 5:01 pm
    hoping for the best for his future

2 0 Rate This

—————–

I don’t know, man…He led with his head. From a fundamental standpoint, he should have been looking at the guy’s mid-section, head off to the side, and then wrap up.

That’s how it should have been done. It has very, very little to do with what you just said. He’s the attacker there, making the tackle. It’s not like he was blindsided.

10. I honestly can’t imagine how football is still going to be around in 20-30 years with the way injury awareness is climbing. Head trauma, spine injuries, to say nothing of the musculoskeletal injuries. Said to say, but I can’t see this path continuing.

11. That was one of the tougher things to watch… Back grab/limp legs/realization/panic. The announcers didn’t mention what it looked to be before they cut away to commercials, but anyone watching knew exactly what they just witnessed…

That’s nerve damage. That’s career-ending.

12. Its a shame. You need to teach these guys to not lead with the crown of their helmet. Steelers do this constantly on both offense and defense because that is what Tomlin teaches them to do. It is old school approach. These guys are too big and fast to do that now. I am not surprised someone got seriously injured.

13. The only news that he has some mobility–which I pray is accurate–came in a tweet from Steeler DB Mike Mitchell, after he’d talked with Shazier last night. Mitchell shouldn’t have said anything publicly because the situation is extremely fluid at this point–that, and concern for Shazier’s medical privacy, is why neither the doctors nor the team have officially released anymore information. When there’s something meaningful to tell and Shazier is ready for it to be shared, the team/doctors will release it. In the meantime, all we can do is send prayers and well wishes for his recovery.

14. Injuries that cause paralysis, even temporarily, don’t commonly heal in a few hours. The fact that he is being kept in Cincinnati without a firm release date tells me that the swelling continues and they have not yet determined what long term damage exists, if any. Hopefully he’ll make a full recovery but I’m guessing at this point, playing football is the last thing on his mind.

15. They need to just take their time with this whole thing. There is no rush. I hope they err on the side of caution. Just because someone said yesterday that he will be going home today doesn’t mean it’s bad that he’s not going home today. People are just so wrapped up in getting information right this second. Let the experts do their jobs and hopefully we will be hearing good news soon.

16. How in the world can anyone wishing this young man good luck and a speedy and full recovery get a “thumbs down” for that?? Are you people hoping he doesn’t recover?? Seriously??

17. Browns fan here, and I too wish him the best. Full Disclosure – also an Ohio State Fan.

I’m really not sure who in this world gives a thumbs down to someone wishing him a full recovery. I feel bad for you. You must have a pretty sad life.

18. To those that piss and moan about why these guys hold out, and fight for every penny they can make, or complain about how overpaid athletes are;

I present you with exhibit A.

19. Immediately what I worried about last night and today was in all the press releases etc. , there was no mention of use of all of his extremities. All the best to you Mr. Shazier for a full recovery.

20. Hope its just a stinger of sorts and that he heals up and can play again soon. But the spine is nothing that heals quick. I’ve had three “minor” spine injuries. One of which will never heal. Another of which occured in a similar manor as his occured. Mine resulted in three vertabrae with compression fractures, two disc protrusions, and some dislocated ribs near the spine area. I’m no athlete in my prime, but that one took me over year to recover. Anyway – hoping for the best.

21. Hoping he can live a pain free life, where he has complete mobility. Playing again is beyond a bonus, if it’s a bonus he wants.

I spent the better part of the first 2 years of my life in the Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh. I owe them my life.

All the respect in the world to Ryan Shazier, his family, friends, fans and my family’s beloved Pittsburgh. Hoping for the best.

22. I don’t get the “lead with your head” comments. Maybe he does that in other cases, but this was a case of a guy running with the football, shadier lowering himself, and exploding into the ball carrier to make the tackle. It isn’t a neck injury from leading with the head. The injury was closer to his hips than his head. He hit him with his shoulder, not his head, and it bent him awkward and he was injured. What am I missing?

This play had nothing but shoulder to chest contact and people are complaining about leading with your head. Juju goes crown of the helmet into burdocks face and people say it was clearly leading with his shoulder. I don’t get it

23. I hope he recovers completely. If doctors want to protect his privacy throughout his convalescence it’s fine with me.

24. This could have happened to the Bengals running back he speared in the facemask during that Antonio Brown knockout playoff game. I feel sorry for him and his family. But he’s been leading with his head since he’s been in the league. Tomlin didn’t correct it, and ultimately the responsibility is on him. He can slam his fist against his chest all he likes, but Tomlin isn’t a leader and he failed Shazier.

25. The latest from the Dr’s does not sound good for any movement below his waste.

Ryan was known to use the crown of his helmet (if you ever watched him play)…he had to been told 100 times watching film the risks of doing that.

26. justkeepinitclassy says:
    December 5, 2017 at 5:16 pm

That’s nerve damage. That’s career-ending.

——-

Cmon man….let’s let the doctors do their work hope for the best and see how this plays out before jumping to any conclusions

This guy’s health and well-being are on the line here. Let’s try and remain positive

27. I think it was a Steeler broadcaster who tweeted something to the effect that this was the same injury that Tommie Maddox had, and that he only missed one game. I hope that’s true. I have no idea if it is. Even if true, it was a terribly irresponsible thing to post when the facts are evidently not known and won’t be known for some time.

28. The latest report didn’t sound too much different than the original. I think the original message we were all waiting to hear was whether or not he had any feeling or movement in his legs. We were reassured that his condition was improving. From this point forward, I think the responsible thing to do is wait to hear what the doctor says.

29. As a Bengal fan i wish him the best.You never want to see something like that happen.
    It made me think back to David Pollock.Hopefully Shazier can make a full recovery and play again but most importantly i hope he can at least recover and enjoy his life.

30. thommillermd says:

December 5, 2017 at 5:15 pm

******************************************
    I thought the same thing 30 years ago about boxing, where the object is to knock a guy out. Not only is boxing still around, but they have all these other fighting deals going on. Several auto racers have died since I started watching auto racing, yet they’re still racing. In fact, the sport seems more popular than ever. People get killed every day on the highways driving to work. We’re building more and more roads every day, and I don’t see a lot of people choosing homelessness over working. Sorry. Football isn’t going anywhere. My guess is the sport will continue to gain popularity, and continue it’s global expansion.

31. 80% of my comments get censored (I’m taking a cyber knee to raise awareness for the censoring of comments) says:
    December 5, 2017 at 5:52 pm
    ————————-
    Lets take the accusatory aspect off of it and allow that at game speed he just wound up going in that way regardless of intention, which does happen. There was an article here yesterday saying the way he went in transmitted the entire impact down his spinal column. This is why they have rules against spearing, its to protect the spearer more than the recipient. If this was an allowed and common move we would be seeing a lot if such injuries. But even with the rules things happen at gamespeed that are not intentional (and this did look unintentional) and it can result in cases like this. There is no one to blame but the situation still sucks.

God I hope he pulls out of this. I would like to see him fully resume his career but Ill settle for being able to run around the yard with his kids.

32. December 5, 2017 at 5:32 pm

I present you with exhibit
    *******************************************************************************
    I pray for his recovery. A lot of occupations are hazardous and they don’t get paid or hold out for millions.

33. FatBaba says:

Really? That’s your contribution? I guess you are a fly on the wall in the locker room or have good friends inside the organization to gather all these facts. When you speak do you have a problem with flies hovering around your head and trying to fly into your mouth?

34. zinnsand21 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 7:01 pm
    I am partially paralyzed. Not from a spinal injury but from a brain injury. I hope he makes a complete recovery. Paralysis is hell..

7 1 Rate This

———–

What kind of imbecilic low-life down-voted this guy’s post?

35. OK GUYS, let this NFL (all teams in cases like this) fan girl be mushy without down arrows pls. Ryan sending you so much support and love and hopes for a full recovery. I will be holding you close in thought and heart.

36. Why move him to another hospital if you don’t have to for anything outside of better care?

Prayers with him and family.

37. joedskins1959 says:

I present you with exhibit
    *******************************************************************************

==========================================================================

These players have conditioned and trained, developing unique skills that only a handful of people in the nation possess and enabling them to play a sport that generates billions of dollars in revenues. Since the sport cannot exist without them, they are paid a percentage of those revenues. It’s a TRUE free-market economy. When they hold out, it is usually because their actual contribution to the bottom line exceeds the worth of their rookie contract. Interesting, though, that the people who most claim to believe in the free market are the ones who most often criticize the fact that professional athletes benefit from it.

38. Fans are concerned about Ryan Shazier? Bengals fans are also concerned about Ryan Shazier. He was an amazing Buckeye, and the moment he went down, we all were concerned. good luck Ryan

39. aarons444 says:
    December 5, 2017 at 5:32 pm
    I present you with exhibit A.
    ——————————————————————————————————–
    While you hold a valid point, this instance is not the one to use as your argument. Shazier used improper technic, got himself hurt. Don’t get me wrong, I wish him a full recovery but there comes a point and time when you have to admit fault.

40. To everyone saying Shazier is done playing for good or may never walk again, I get it, you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Let’s let the doctors and trainers make these decisions. Other players have had similar injuries and returned to the field, while some have had the same injury and never played another down. The armchair QBs have become armchair neurosurgeons!