New contract for Roger Goodell has been signed

Getty Images

The Commissioner finally has a new contract.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL’s Compensation Committee has informed all owners that a new contract for Commissioner Roger Goodell has been executed.

The memorandum to all owners explains that a “binding contract extension has been signed by the Commissioner and by Arthur Blank, on behalf of the League entities.” The memo also cites the existence of a “nearly unanimous consensus” among the owners in favor of finalizing the extension now.

The Compensation Committee received unanimous authorization from the owners in May 2017 to execute the contract. Since then, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been working to delay and/or derail the process. He had four or five other owners on his side, at most. Ultimately, it wasn’t enough to keep the contract from being executed.

142 responses to “New contract for Roger Goodell has been signed

1. New contract for Roger Goodell has been signed
    ==================================
    Well that’s unfortunate

2. As much as I dislike Goodell, does give me a bit of a chuckle knowing how ticked off this has to have made Jerrah.

3. This is a sad day for football. I still have no idea what good he has brought to the NFL, other than taking punches for the owners. The NFL grew over the last decade in spite of Goodell, not because of him. But at least he is consistent as he sure knows how to screw things up whenever there is adversity. Some of that is now starting to stick and I think the owners will eventually regret this move.

4. Betting Jones releases a statement saying this is exactly what he wanted a contract that all the owners could agree on not just the compensation committee . It’s called the Trump spin make a promise , fail then lie and say that’s what they wanted all along .

5. Somewhere Jerry Jones is throwing a red flag (and a fit as well). If a wedding cake dispute makes it to the Supreme Court, ol’ Jerruh and his ultimate lawsuit has a chance, too!

6. And I will now cancel my NFL ticket for next year. Not a threat, just had enough of what was once a great league. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I just don’t enjoy it nearly as much as I used to. Kinda sad, really.

7. Amazing how much money this idiot makes and how every fan thinks he’s ruining the game! Does the NFL care about the fans? I can’t think of one good thing he has done

8. Turns out Jerry Jones was wrong again. Did anyone really think Jerry was in charge except Jerry? He sure does love his press conferences though so I’m sure he’ll have another one tonight where he will explain how he is the victim in all this.

9. I enjoy making fun of Jerrah as much as anyone, but his Football Life show did a good job of walking through his history actually playing the sport and his passion for his team and legacy. By contrast Goodell’s will be a “Football” Life episode of nothing but empty stadiums and teams piling into moving vans.

10. Ratings are down, the league has its worst public image in my lifetime, and every single disciplinary ruling of note is bungled, creating media firestorms that result in immense public backlash.

Sounds like grounds for a new contract to me!

11. Frum Slum says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:36 pm
    Did he get his lifetime private plane?

it was access to a private plane service that the NFL has a contract with. He would pay for all of his usage of that service. It would just allow him to leverage the NFL’s volume discount.

12. Not a fan of Roger, but the fact that they did this the day after that whiny manchild Jerry said there wasn’t going to be an extension makes me laugh even harder.

13. Is there anyone out there that likes and respects Roger Goodell and thinks he is deserving of ANY new deal let alone a gigantic monstrosity of a deal like this one?

I am having a hard time seeing who is supporting this deal. The owners probably just want continuity despite a massive weight of issues hanging heavy over the NFL with no end in sight.

This is a mistake for the NFL. Of all the leagues, the NFL was ripe for a fresh face. By all accounts the NBA’s transition to Adam Silver was nearly flawless. Sticking with Goodell seems like a step back for the NFL, yet another step back (how many of those can a league take?).

14. Ruha Nuggetcrusher says: December 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Yet more proof that being rich does not equal being smart or good at your job.
    ===============================================

Exactly. The prime example is the top guy in the White House

15. Wow! This should get interesting. Arthur Blank and the compensation committee obviously were mad at Jerry and they were going to sign a contract just to spite Jerry – even if it was the worst contract in history. I am fed up with the NFL and its antics. Every week I am getting closer to pulling the plug on them.

16. Why hire Goodell to be a clown for 50 million I can give out uneven and erratic punishment for 49million? Heck I’ll do it for 45 mil and call it even.

17. No player is above the “shield”… neither is an owner. Jerry tried in vain to derail the inevitable. The owners actually like Goodell representing the league.

18. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. Also, league ratings have fallen much less than all other TV programming across the board. The cash cow ain’t dead yet.

19. rainsarge says:
    December 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm

———————

I know people love to troll but please come up with something that hasn’t been debunked. He did not ask for 50 mill/yr, nor was the committee thinking of giving him 50 mill/yr. He did not ask for a private jet and he did not ask to be commissioner for life.

20. The prime example is the top guy in the White House
    ==============================
    He was rich way before he entered the White House

21. dickshotdogs says:

December 6, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I did that this year. I couldn’t get enough football in years past, I’d watch all day Sunday and then Monday night but my interest has dwindled from year to year and I’ve gotten to the point where it just isn’t worth the money

22. Roger will go down as the guy who killed the NFL. He is in it for himself. I stopped watching last year. Got better things to do. Bye bye NFL!

23. wib22 says:
    December 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Lets wait for the pats fans reaction
    ____________________________________________

Wait…what? I thought you were back to pretending to be one of them again today?
    It’s unfortunate we will not know the details of his contract and whether Jones’ tantrum was little more than leverage. Although it’s a safe bet if he doesn’t leak the terms that’s exactly what it was. Guessing the incentives made it in and the severance is not what it would have been prior to this year.

24. jerrod777 says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:59 pm

—————————–

How do you know it’s the worst contract in history? Jerry voted to give the committee the power in the first place, if he had 23 other owners on his side the committee couldn’t have made the deal.

Leave or don’t leave, just stop threatening to do it.

25. granadafan says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Ruha Nuggetcrusher says: December 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm

Yet more proof that being rich does not equal being smart or good at your job.
    ===============================================

Exactly. The prime example is the top guy in the White House
    _______________________

26. granadafan says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Yet more proof that being rich does not equal being smart or good at your job.
    ===============================================

Exactly. The prime example is the top guy in the White House
    ____________________________________________________________

There always have to be some richard that introduces politics. Heads up massengill, we don’t show up on political boards talking football. How about you return the favor?

27. I just dont get the urgency to do this. Goodell wasnt going anywhere and there was no other league out there trying to steal him away. Jerry was doing the right thing for the wrong reason (the Elliott suspension) and was trying to hold this up. The rest of the league will soon find out what the Saints, Patriots and Cowboys have found out. This commissioner will take way your most important pieces at the drop of a hat and without any credible evidence to do so.

Jerry may be bad at a lot of things with regards to putting a team on the field, but when it comes to money and business…..you wont find a better owner, these other owners will wish they had listened to him when they had the chance.

28. In honor of his new $50 million dollar contract, I am taking my last $20 bill and picking up the first pile of dog crap I find.

Just so I can feel the NFL’s opinion of money.

29. Timing is everything. Just opened my cable bill and it included a notice for the January 1, 2018 rate increase. The item on the bill with the largest increase? Regional sports fee!!! I guess I’m playing for Rogers new contract. How disgusting.

30. As I’ve said in these forums before: Goodell is a PR nightmare, but the owners don’t care. The majority of NFL revenue comes from the tv contracts. Roger is money in the bank when making those deals and rumor has it the network execs love him. His disciplinary powers will be severely limited in the next CBA, meaning he won’t be publicly screwing up as much going forward.

31. Looks like the NFL has managed to double-down on stupid. Jones should sell while his franchise still has value.

32. Have to wonder who will be the next team Goodell places in
    his crosshairs, in order to dispense his own form of
    misguided, unqualified (in-)justice.

The Saints, Pats, Steelers and a few other teams to a lesser extent
    have already felt the wrath of Roger.

33. Clear proof that the NFL is insane. I predict it will no longer exist in any meaningful way within the next 5- 10 years. The globalist cartel has succeeded in shredding the NFL to pieces.

34. Outside of your derangement, all the OBJECTIVE criteria point to him doing a stellar job and certainly much better than his predecessor. Unemployment at multi-decade lows, Stock Market all-time highs, wage growth on low end for first time in a decade after stemming the tide of illegals, and win after win with the appointment of an SC judge and more judges on track in the Federal Level than at any time in 40 years.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Try being objective yourself. These things don’t turn on a dime. You think the current economic position was a flipped switch last November?

It’s the same with the NFL today. No one thing on one day is causing the downturn. It’s changes over months and years.

35. “The dude simply is not worth what they pay him.”

Of course, he is. His job isn’t to make you happy. His job is to make the owners even more wealthy. And he does that very, very well. Worth every penny.

36. This is great news for football fans across the globe. NFL football has always been good, but I’ve never enjoyed it as much as I have since Goodell has run the league. The improvements to officiating have been huge and they keep improving the replay system. The bottom line is the bottom line, and it’s never been bigger for the owners. They’re raking in record amounts, and the player’s share is bigger than ever. The product on the field is also better than ever with the rules changes that allow a more wide open passing game. They’re still striving for perfection, and there’s still a long way to go, but as a lifelong football fan, I owe a debt of gratitude to Mr. Goodell. I’m happy to hear he’s going to be around a while longer. Thanks Roger!

37. All these doomsday sayers. Look, Goodell has delivered exponentially for the owners and in the end that’s what this is all about. Further, legal challenges to aspects of the CBA – negotiated through collective bargaining – have bene upheld. Finally, the owners gave the competition committee the authority to do the agreement and they have done so.

The NFL is not going to whither away. Yes, it needs to rethink its media presence as they are at a point of media saturation. They probably should think about scaling back broadcasts – eliminating Th night games – and they also need to rethink their blackout rules and lower the cost for online access similar to what MLB does for all of its games. It also needs to leverage its power with the networks to reduce the oversaturation of programming, especially for pre and post game shows.

They also need to look at the issue with appropriate refereeing given variances of late.’

They probably ought to make their policies and procedures regarding investigations for potential suspensions, fines etc., more in line with law enforcement even though the burden of proof is quite different. Doing so might reduce some of the negative reactions to what they have done.

But overall, the game is not going anywhere.

38. Cancelled Sunday Ticket & NFL Replay when the Pats were railroaded in 15……

If RedZone wasn’t included wouldn’t pay for it either……

You still can’t ignore his value to the owners as the ultimate fall guy for all his BS maneuvers…… If any of the owners didn’t ultimately approve of everything Little Roggy did he’d already be gone…… Wake up people

39. Time to stop spending money on anything NFL related if this is what the owners believe to be wise spending of our hard earned dollars.

The only conceivable reason for the owners to want to extend Goodell is that he must know enough about the NFL’s concussion maneuvering for the owners to want to keep him happy. Control the CTE research, negotiate down the concussion settlement, payoff the master spin doctor, and then embark on a new marketing campaign targeting high school teams and kids.

This is what is called “integrity of the game” under Roger Goodell.

40. eagleswin says:
    December 6, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Leave or don’t leave, just stop threatening to do it.
    —–
    I don’t know if the contract itself is the worst in history, but I do know that extending a contract to an unpopular commissioner while the Titanic is sinking is possibly the worst contract ever. Look around – here and elsewhere. People are fed up with Roger Goodell’s leadership. The buck stops with him and if the NFL is sinking, then he is accountable. You don’t give a contract extension to a coach that is failing. Why do the same for a commissioner that is failing. even if six months ago things looked better?

You want people to put actions to leaving, well it is happening. Maybe not all at once. I have already begun the decline of watching less and less football. I have stopped buying their merchandise, or paying for their product. I was hoping that maybe somebody (owners?) would have enough sense to right the ship. But, apparently they don’t.

41. lanman11 says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:41 pm
    We’re all doomed….

———————-
    No we aren’t. There will be all kinds of life after football.

42. Other outlets are reporting the deal maxes out at $40M per and is 90% incentive driven. Jerry’s tantrum and Kraft’s penchant for incentive based negotiating seems to have worked out in terms of keeping the cost in line. Of course $40 is too much from where most of us sit

43. firecracker87 says:
    December 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Guarantee you Goodell has pictures of each owner.

——————

Maybe each owner has pictures of Roger Goodell, if you know what I mean

44. NFL ratings are down the tubes… its a perfect time to give the commissioner a huge raise and a private jet and healthcare for life.

45. dickshotdogs says:
    December 6, 2017 at 3:35 pm
    ____________________________________

Could not agree with you more. It will not be long until the NBA, MLB and NHL over take them popularity.

46. Every troll in here (including myself) could do the same job at a fraction of the price. But don’t act like you’re not going to watch the NFL. You’ll talk a big game online, but you’re watching.

47. Un believable! I hate everything this guy has brought to the NFL. Endless replays, London games, Thursday games, endless misuse of the disciplinary system …….

48. Been a huge fan all of my life. I’m 48 years old and am truly done. I’ve been a season ticket holder for way too long and the NFL has given me more than enough reasons to finally bail. For me the race bickering, politics and injuries have made it unwatchable. The QB position is too important now and if you don’t have a great one or he gets injured your team has no chance. It seems by mid season many teams are losing half their starters. To be honest, it’s actually a relief. The NHL is a better league anyway and it doesn’t hijack my Sundays.

49. ESPN is reporting that this deal could be worth up to 200MIL. Bob Kraft of all people rubber stamped this contract. As for the people that say The fans will still be watching all of the big games I say speak for yourself. Some people have lives beyond the NFL. I for one have been off the NFL with the exception of routing for my team all year and I’m not alone. That’s the reason for the ratings drop. Everything the NFL does angers a good portion of the fan base and this contract is no exception.

50. People don’t understand the businessman’s angle. The business man’s super bowl. Goodell makes the NFL more money. The owners own for more money. Half of these guys only care about Super Bowls because of the increased revenue. We, the fans, are the chumps. This is just a microcosm of the American capitalist structure. You are either buying and selling or just buying. We are all buyers. We buy the race stuff, we buy the politics stuff, we buy the media stuff, we buy the patriotism stuff, we buy the cheap American and Chinese products…we buy everything. Meanwhile they continually throw it in our faces, because guess what, we aren’t going anywhere. We’ll just keep buying and keep complaining, and the rich get richer and the wealthy get wealthier. Remember when dutch company InBev bought Budweiser. Everybody was going to stop drinking. Nope. Didn’t happen.

Well folks. This buds for you.

I’m off my soapbox.

51. It is amazing how some people have no perception of anything outside of their little bubble.

98% of NFL fans could not care less about who the commissioner is. That same 98% also don’t care about kneeling, guys getting knocked out, or the other subjects the bubble people lose their minds about here. That 98% does care about, believe it or not, watching the action on the field.

52. Just like Mort, JJ embellished the truth.

NFL: Roger Goodell’s long-awaited contract has been signed. His 5-year, $200 million deal is largely tied to hitting financial benchmarks for the league.

53. If it wasn’t for that fat little turd in N.Korea he would be the most hated man.The NFL will be in the gone in 10yrs. Bob Kraft & Jerry Jones should give him a big sloppy kiss. Unbelievable !!

54. This news is way better than seeing the Dallas Cowpies lose – now we get to imagine Jerrah soiling his Depends.

55. I checked out from the NFL a while ago. Sons are 7 and 9 and they are more focused college football these days. They have no idea who this clown is, they’re just more interested in what their friends are into and evidently the trend is not the NFL. This is contrary to my up-bring where the NFL cam first. My how things have changed. Money is up but the league is trending down. NFL = sell, NCAAF = Buy. NFL owners are out of touch with reality, with the exception of the owner most closely resembling tales from the crypt.

56. baseballiseasymoney says:
    December 6, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Well folks. This buds for you.

I’m off my soapbox.
    —–
    Somebody gets it. We’re simply SHEEP!

57. Private jet for life & can fly anywhere plus medical for the whole family. Hahahahaha.. Goodell toasted a glass of champagne in honor to Jerry Jones tonight.. Thanks for that vote of confidence in May..

58. baseballiseasymoney says:
    December 6, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Well folks. This buds for you.

I’m off my soapbox.

——————————————————————————————

Well Played!

59. Only the owners know what really happened. Reporters are only guessing and claiming sources. The only people who know what really happened are the owners of the NFL teams.

60. The NFL is in a serious decline. There are millions of former fans who are currently disinterested or not watching the games due to all of the political aspects. I believe this is in a large part due to an incompetent commissioner and owners who don’t see what is happening with the league. There will always be a fan base for the NFL but it will never be what it was. With effective leadership there might have been a chance.

61. baseballiseasymoney says: December 6, 2017 at 6:05 pm
    Well folks. This buds for you.
    I’m off my soapbox.
    ——
    I’m a businessman.
    Budweiser didn’t have kneeling employees…
    Capitalism requires customers, you don’t make more/any money when they’re pissed off..
    Most business decisions made because people vote with their wallet..
    Owners (Blank) betting they can weather any storm. Time will tell..
    There’s a lot of things to do, places to go, and spend money on Sundays..
    The NFL may be selling, but after 40 years, I won’t be buying..

62. Suck it haters (Patriots fan) Roger is going nowhere. You think the NFL and it’s owners really care about you? As long as you keep buying tickets, merchandise and watching the games. He’s there to stay. Keep thinking the owners are on your side, keep thinking the owners care about you. Ya’ll are sheep.

63. superpatriotsfan says:
    December 6, 2017 at 10:33 pm
    =================
    What’s funny is that you think this a Patriots fans problem. It never has been and never will be.

64. The NFL is dying. It is no longer the game it was even 10 years ago. And with Goodell, it is become now the PC league in many respects. The powerful quasi-judicial entity at the top has become untenable, and will not stand with the public. The tolerance of the league with regards to disrespect of the Flag, and the National Anthem is certainly the beginning of the end. Even that notwithstanding, viewing the game has become too onerous for the average once-fan. 3 1/2 games are now the minimum – to complete ONE HOUR of actual playing time. More than 3 1/2 hours in many cases. For myself, I’ve not watched an unrecorded game in a quite a long time, as I cannot stand the incredible number of commercials that are required to support the leagues out-go – mostly to players of a game. It is collapsing for many reasons, and it won’t be with us in it’s present form all that much longer. I’ve watched the NFL since before the merger of the NFL/AFL – most of my life, and have loved the game. But, it has in its present form become a game that is too politicized, and like Hollywood, not longer that interesting.

65. At the end of the day… Goodell is making the owners money hand over fist… when that stops happening, He’s gone.

Everything else is just window dressing.
    Poor Jerrah realized that all his money and bluster means squat… hard lesson indeed.