Everson Griffen on stopping Cam Newton: “You keep on hitting him”

Getty Images

The Vikings know what Cam Newton is capable of. They also know what he’s susceptible to.

So as they plan for Sunday’s game against the former MVP, they’re going to rely on a simple, yet elegant plan.

Well, you just hit him,” Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen said, via John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “You keep on hitting him. He’s a big guy.”

The last two times they’ve seen the Panthers’ quarterback, it’s been a valid plan. In beating the Panthers twice, the Vikings have sacked him 12 times and picked him off four times. If they can continue to do that, they take another step toward home field advantage in the NFC playoffs.

Toward that end, they want to discourage Newton from asserting himself as a runner. That’s been more of a part of the Panthers attack lately, and the Vikings are aware of that.

“You’ve got to hit him like he’s a running back,” Griffen said of Newton when he’s out of the pocket. “Don’t hit him like he’s a quarterback because he’s not protected then. No cheap shots, you just hit him like he’s a running back. You just hit him.”

Of course, the Vikings are qualified to do just that. They’re second in the league in total defense, and keeping plenty of quarterbacks in check. And they know it works, based on recent experience.

38 responses to “Everson Griffen on stopping Cam Newton: “You keep on hitting him”

1. I want Vikings to have home field, because I want my saints to play in a dome, going to philly in January will be tough for a southern dome team. The last time it snowed in New Orleans, well you have to go to the mall for that.

2. Cam is a phenomenal athlete…..but he does have some quit in him. When things aren’t flowing his way, he pouts and it affects his play. So while a great athlete, he’s not a great player.

3. I have been a fan of this squad for 40+ years, this is the best D I can remember. Most complete top to bottom, with some high end talent. Even though the rules have changed they still hit hard, and seemingly with in the rules of the game.

They have had success the last couple meetings keeping Cam in pocket early and making him beat them with his arm then punishing him as the game went on. Should be a fun game on Sunday!

4. They beat the Panthers twice before with a D not even close to this years D. I expect a Vikes win.

5. What they should do is hire a bunch of bench vendors to stroll the sidelines with garish hats and silly looking bow ties… Cam Newton would be constantly distracted looking at that tasteless garbage to add to his impressive collection.

6. trophylessvikings says:
    December 7, 2017 at 9:54 am

As a Packer fan, (pretending to be a Viking fan, while still living in my mom’s basement), I worry about the Panthers. I think our Def is overrated and will be exposed soon. Skol

///////////////

Fixed that for ya. #Cleveland rolls this weekend!

7. winningisabrees says:
    ——————————
    Yup, playing in MN worked out so well for the Saints already this year. Before you claim “it was a different team then”… just look at the games where your defense “showed up”. Trubisky, Stanton, Hundley, Petterman, Fitzpatrick, Cutler. Now, look at the teams they played with healthy QB’s – those were an easy 350+ passing yards and 30+ points for those QB’s.

8. when you are a top team, everyone gets up to play you. Look at the hurting the Seahawks put on Philadelphia. Zimmer has done a good job of keeping them focussed and he needs to. As soon as they start believing all the press clippings they are in trouble. As a fan, I don’t think this will happen, but as a Vikings fan, I am a little nervous.

9. “Well, you just hit him… you keep on hitting him. He’s a big guy.”
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Easy for him to say.

If “my team” legally hits they get about 70 yards per game worth of bogus penalties.

10. Cam can definitely be taken out of his mental game. He’ll sulk. He’ll stand up in slow-motion. He’ll walk gingerly to the line of scrimmage. He’ll slump his shoulders. Baby Huey.

11. I don’t have a dog in the fight but I don’t think all the Intel Greg Olsen got from being in the Fox booth for the Vikes-Rams game is going to give Carolina any advantage. Vikes take this game.

12. I’ve come to expect the Vikings to win every game, but this will be a tougher one than most of my fellow Viking fans expect. The Panthers need it more, they’re playing at home, they have the ability to play really well at times, and it’s tough to play three road games in a row. The Gopher basketball team just got beat up at Nebraska and nobody saw that coming.

13. I feel like hitting the QB often is every defensive linemans goal each game. Averaging 6 sacks a game against any QB is going to lead to a bad game for that QB.

14. trophylessvikings says:
    December 7, 2017 at 9:54 am
    As a Viking fan, I worry about the Panthers. I think our Def is overrated and will be exposed soon. Skol

***

You know who I think is underrated as a defense? Tampa Bay. They held a QB to 84 yds passing. Now that’s dominant!

15. In Teddy We Trust says:
    December 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm

***

I’m more worried the 2017 bengals games is going to be like the 2016 Colts game.

16. If the Vikes get the good Cam this game will be tough. I’m more worried about the Panthers D. This game is not a lay-up.

17. 13worldchampioinships says:
    December 7, 2017 at 2:02 pm

________

I hope you’re not serious. Do you not see any difference between last year’s team and this year’s team? No way they have a letdown at home against a below average team.

18. After watching Matt Kalil’s impersonation of a human turnstile for the last few years in Minnesota, I’m somewhat anxious to see Griffen and/or Hunter go up against him on Sunday.

19. whatjusthapped says:
    December 7, 2017 at 3:52 pm
    If there are no cheap shots, can we assume Anthony Barr will be on the bench?
    ————————————

We have our back and forth with you and you’re a stand up guy hanging around after your brethren have disappeared. You also seem to be fairly knowledgeable about the game and defend your team pretty well. I hope it’s just trolling when you spit out junk like that. But if you honestly think Barr’s hit was cheap and/or he is a cheap player maybe you aren’t very smart.

20. The real Packers fans are still around. …and we are all in agreement that Barr’s hit was indeed cheap. Read: unnecessary. So, enjoy the ride this season…your guys are playing well.

21. No one noticed but the Vikings were very close to blocking 2-3 of the field goal kicks vs Atlanta. Look for the Vikings Special Team to score or set up 2 TD and for the D to get a TD of of Cam oh and the offense will score 2 TD’s too. final Vikings 38 – Panther 10

Oh and Cleveland beats the packers for their only win of the season.
    The Eagles also lose this week before they go 3-0.

Rogers does start the last 3 games and the Packers still go 0-3