Aaron Rodgers is cleared to play

Getty Images

He’s back. Almost.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been cleared to play. The quarterback posted the news on social media.

His return, on Sunday against the Panthers, will come nine weeks after he suffered a broken collarbone against the Vikings. It required 13 screws and a couple of plates to hold it in place.

“I’m happy to say I’ve been medically cleared to return,” Rodgers said.

The 7-6 Packers need help to make it to the playoffs. But with Rodgers present the Packers likely will be helping themselves, considerably.

“If Aaron didn’t get hurt we’d only have one loss right now, maybe two — and that’s stretching it with ‘maybe,'” Packers defensive lineman Mike Daniels recently said on PFT Live.

126 responses to “Aaron Rodgers is cleared to play

1. I realize this is “newsworthy”, but anyone who actually thought Rodgers would NOT get cleared, has not been watching NFL games lately!

To watch Texans QB, Tom Savage get hit in the head, suffer a seizure on the field and stay in the game, was ridiculous! And a clear indication that NFL coaches, officials and gatekeepers don’t give a damn about player safety!

Vikings will be ready in two weeks…that is, if Green Bay has anything to play for by then

2. Besides my Saints, my two favorite teams this weekend are the Packers and Buccaneers! Unlike some other teams, we control our own destiny. But a little breathing room doesn’t hurt.

3. Getting to the playoffs remains a “maybe” proposition for the Packers. If they get there, however, a Super Bowl berth is stronger than that.
    —————-
    really? with that defense? hahahahahahahahahahaha

4. Oh great, now we have to hear from the Viking fans about how they can’t wait till Minny takes him out a second time in two weeks. Save your breath, we’re already used to your Neanderthal way of thinking.

5. Too bad he doesn’t play defense. That is hurting us more than our backup QB play. They will have to win out to make the playoffs and even if they do I do not see them beating either the Saints or Rams on the road.

6. And a collective crapping of the pants of all the non worthy Superbowl NFC teams.

Oh wait almost forgot SKOL!!! Case Keenum yeah right!!

7. Obviously its a long shot – have to defeat three very good football teams AND have a few other things go our way but this really is an exciting season. Thank you Brett Hundley – job well done. Overtime is Hundley time!!!

8. I think he is coming back too soon, assuming he plays this week.

We will see.

Another great story line in the NFC!

9. Honestly, Rodgers should probably still win MVP. He had them at one loss and they collapsed without him. The only person i could say has that effect right now is wilson, because that team would be a dumpster fire if he went out now.

10. Not sure if we will make the playoffs, but at least these next few games will be more enjoyable. Hope it’s not too soon.

11. That Packer offensive line better improve quickly or Peppers, Kuechly, Davis and company are going to have a field day pounding Rodgers all day on Sunday. Remember that Romo broke his collarbone in 2015 and came back before he was fully healed. The Panthers sacked him the next game reinjuring his shoulder, ending his season and ultimately his career. If history repeats itself, we might see Rodgers in the broadcast booth as early as next year.

12. Packer’s chances for the 2017 version of “run of table” just increased exponentially. Will still be a tall order to make the playoffs, but with this medical clearing, hope returns! Go Pack!

13. Daniels is a clown. The defense is complete garbage – Secondary, D-line, and LB’s, and the receivers have shown that they’re not actually good at getting open. The key to the WHOLE OFFENSE’S SUCCESS lies on aaron rodger’s ability to make something out of nothing. The guy should have had 3 or 4 super bowl wins by now, but Ted and McCarthy have whizzed away his prime by their bonehead decisions and ineptitude. If I were a Packers fan, I’d be furious.

14. Good. Roll him out there. The Pack did better than expected in chipping away to reach 7-6. Beat Carolina and host the Vikings on Dec 23 with everything on the line. Bring it!!!

15. Suit up then… You only have the Panthers and Vikings defenses back to back. I’m sure both defenses will promise not to legally tackle you to the ground during the game of professional TACKLE football the rest of the guys will be playing. So you won’t get broken again.

PS
    I hope you practiced falling to the ground in your time off, because THAT’S what broke you, your awkward fall, not the legal hit you received!

16. After they lose at Carolina this week and are eliminated from playoff contention, will Rodgers finish the season? (He was only going to come back if it made sense.)

17. GOAT makes them the favorites IF they can win this week. If they win at CAR, anything is possible as Rodgers gets back in the groove.

Time for Vikings fans to get out the Depends.

18. Everybody quiet. He’s about to unveil his return. Are all the cameras on? Check Instagram post with cryptic message, check. What would the NFL do without it’s #1 diva. The drama queen himself, Erin Rodgers.

19. I am crying. Not like sobbing but I have tears in my eyes because we are so lucky to be part of the greatest holiday comeback story ever. He’s back. And our good vibes helped him heal. Congrats to the best fans in football

#AaronGotBetterToday

20. “If Aaron didn’t get hurt we’d only have one loss right now, maybe two — and that’s stretching it with ‘maybe,'”

Well then, I guess I dunno what “stretching it” means any more…because I watched a Jay Cutler team beat a Tom Brady team just the other night.

21. Like it or not, its a massive boost to the entire GB unit. If AR plays they have a chance, I don’t care who they play.

It could be unlikely, but its entirely possible given the Panther and Seahawks schedules.

22. I’m torn between wanting to see him play again and wishing he’d sit out for safety because our D won’t support a Super Bowl run. Watching Hundley slowly but surely develop has been entertaining too.

23. Glad Rodgers has been cleared to play. However, his absence absolutely demonstrated that the Packers do not have the necessary supporting cast around him right now to be considered a Super Bowl contender. Everyone loves to reference 2010 when the Packers won it all. This is more like 2013, where they managed a playoff birth, and didn’t get past round one.

24. GB has been in the playoffs for the last two weeks. Need to “run the table” to make the official playoffs.

Welcome back Aaron!

25. “I’m happy to say I’ve been medically cleared to return,” Rodgers said.

Ever the drama queen, no comment about playing on Sunday.

Yawn…..

26. As I’ve said before, I wish someone would step in and save Aaron from himself.
    I believe he should still sit out the rest of the season.
    I’ll take his long term health over their slim chance to make the playoffs.
    Especially when you factor in that their defense, due to injuries and overall talent, simply isn’t of Championship caliber yet.

27. packer fans acting like the Vikings will be afraid to face Rodgers in GB.The Vikings have beaten Rodgers and the pack 3 out of the last 4 games. Rodgers better look out for Kendricks or Smith next game.Actually more than just those two but I don’t feel like typing anymore names.Panthers win this week and maybe he sits the rest of the year.

28. I love how people cheer for injuries to the other team’s players. Sad. I’m no eagles fan but hated to see Wentz get hurt. I’m a Packers fan and cannot stand the Vikings but feel bad for what happened to Teddy. Like the. Packers or not, Rodgers is a star and I’d rather watch the best play.

29. The guy has not played in 3 months and he’s going to come back just rip it up? Ok. We Vikings love it. It’ll pu ruin the franchise if he gets hurt again. Dead dream trying to stay alive.

30. Panthers defense licking their chops
    ==============================
    With Rodgers the Pack are a better team than the Panthers

31. bigdaddyrockytop says:

December 13, 2017 at 5:37 am

A huge NOOOOOOO!! was heard in Minneapolis over night.

———————-

lol. Us Vikings fans could care less. We have 10 wins this year by playing good defense and offense and just one win from locking up a playoff ticket. We have faced way better offensive unit’s this year and have shut them down. The Rams are the #1 offense and they scored 7 points, the Falcons (A team you always lose to)we limited to 9 points. Yes Rodgers is very good, but so is our #5 ranked defense and our #5 ranked offense.

This Vikings team can actually score this year. Adam Theilen is having a great year. Sure you may beat us a Green Bay field with your officials trying to protect Aaron, but chances are the Packers will be playing the Vikings again in the playoffs at US Bank. Rodgers is great and we have a lot of respect for him, but we do not fear the rest of your team at all.

32. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    December 13, 2017 at 12:26 am

/////////////

Snicker

33. A few things….

No fans of the Vikings, nor the team itself is worried about AR coming back. They have won 3 of the last 4 against this team, with and without AR.

AR has not played in 9 weeks. I don’t know why anyone would think he is just going to settle in and be otherworldly after that much time off.

The 1st hit by the Panthers is going to be interesting. Anyone would be jumpy and tentative about that 1st hit, and trust me the Panthers ARE going to hit him…ALOT. Case was sacked 6 times and took a lot more hits than that.

My best guess is AR inspires them for a quarter or so, but thee more talented Panthers pull away gradually.

29-13 Panthers is the predicted score I have seen from a Vegas casino. That sounds about right

34. can you imagine what would happen if they let Aaron play and he gets hurt which effects the rest of his career? Do you know how incompetent McCarthy would look? He would never be forgiven by packers fans. Just because the NFC is sans wentz and people think Keenum is not legit still doesn’t erase the fact that the panther, Eagles and Vikings all lose among some of the best defenses in the league. Sit this one out, it’s not worth it.

35. YAWN…..so the DIVA Bowl is on! Cam & Aaron…the two biggest self-absorbed, me guys in the league. Must (not) watch TV…..

Big question is, will #12 play out the season after they lose this game? Me thinks not….

36. LOL. All that will matter, is the Vikings doing their inevitable playoff exit, while someone else, wins the Super Bowl in their sand crawler stadium. Trust me … Packer fans will be fine with this.

37. thetundraturf says:
    December 12, 2017 at 11:46 pm
    If I were a Packers fan, I’d be furious.

—————————————————————–

If you were a Packers fan over the past 24 years, you would have enjoyed 12 NFC North titles, 19 playoff appearances and 2 superbowl victories. In other words, you’d be a happy football fan – instead of – well, you know…

38. Unless he can also play CB I don’t think it will make much difference. GB is in the same position as last season. Their DBs are decimated. 3 of the top 4 CB are hurt (2 on IR). 1 starting S is on IR.

They can win some games, maybe. But they can’t win them all. Not with a defensive backfield that will have to play UDFAs with almost no experience. They will run into an ATL or some other team that has a good passing game and that will be that.

They won’t be lucky enough to face Eli Manning and Dak Prescott if they make the playoffs. And I don’t think they will make the playoffs. Winning in Carolina will be a miracle. Beating MN would be more reasonable but then also beating Stafford is too much to ask I think.

But they got a shot.

And I’m a GB fan.

39. Green Bay basically is asking Rodgers to go to Carolina and put up 35 points on a top 5 defense — after sitting out two-plus months. They’ll need 35 because the Panthers won’t have any trouble moving the ball on that sad-sack defense.

40. schmokes says:

December 13, 2017 at 6:54 am

The comments here tell the full story of how scared the rest of the NFL is (specifically Vikings fans)

—————

Why would Vikings fans be scared? We are 10-3. We play the Bengals this week which should certainly be a win. We have beaten the Packers 3 out of the last 4 times with or without Rodgers. We beat Atlanta 14-9, a team the Packers can’t even beat with Rodgers. We get that Rodgers is great, and obviously a challenge, but the rest of your team is just not good. Yes we have Case who is average in comparison’s but if you look at his stats, he is actually #2 in QBR this year (only to Brady). There is absolutely nothing Vikings fans are scared of except for our Offensive Line banged up. It’s a great story he is back, and very few Vikings fans wanted him to be hurt in the first place. Even when healthy Rodgers has struggled against good defenses including the Vikings, and Panthers in past years. DO they have a chance, of course they do, but they also have a great chance of not making the playoffs. The Vikings have defeated the Rams, Falcons, Saints who I consider all better teams with Rodgers even. Rodgers can’t do everything including play defense.

41. I love all the online doctors that think that Rodgers playing again jeopardizes his entire career. I guess they didn’t listen to Dr. David Chao last night who clarified that there is no long term threat to Rodgers by playing this week. If he re-breaks it, he’s still back to start next season. Literally no chance of the collarbone ending his career. Romo didn’t retire based on a broken collarbone. It was a combination of his back and getting beat out by Prescott.

42. Looks like w’ere trying to showcas rogers to boost trade-vaue in the off-season. I’ve seen enough from Huntley too say he’s the QB of the future. Rogers is damaged-goods. Let’s make it happen boy’s! Go pack

43. Too bad. Now we don’t have an excuse if we don’t make the playoffs.
    ——
    Not looking for excuses but this is the second time I’ve seen someone make this dumb post. Rodgers didn’t miss 8 games? He could come back, play excellent, win all three games and we could still easily miss the playoffs. Sometimes it’s best if you Viking fans just don’t say anything at all.

44. Lots of Vikings’ fans seem really nervous about this. I guess Aaron Rodgers is like the boogey-man to many of them. Nonetheless, the chances of the Packers making the playoffs at this point are minuscule even with Rodgers. But that doesn’t change the fact that the Vikings are perennial playoff chokers.

45. skolgivesyoumouthcancer says:
    December 12, 2017 at 10:52 pm
    Great to hear. The NFL is better with a healthy ARod and when the Packers are (potentially) a playoff team.

Now, cue all those haters…..

————

Great username. LoL

46. The sad truth, the Vikings are real contenders now and aren’t going away anytime soon as long as Spielman is around. The Packers are slightly above avg with Rogers as long as TT is still around.one team acquires talent, the other players.

47. I just hope officials call a fair games when my Viking go to Green Bay. I could see them calling a bogus game to “Protect Rodgers”, If he needs protection he shouldn’t be playing. Period. He already gets many benefits from the officials on PI calls, and other items, but if he gets more “special treatment” to protect him from Anthony Barr, that is pathetic. If the Vikings lose, and it’s a fairly called game I can live with that. The Vikings in all likelihood should win, this weekend, and against Chicago, and will most likely have the Second Seed regardless of what happens in Green Bay.

48. can you imagine what would happen if they let Aaron play and he gets hurt which effects the rest of his career?
    ======

I’m not merely expecting it, I think its a certainty.

49. The coaching staff bl@ws go@ts and will self destruct in January… AGAIN!… even if by some miracle they mangaged to even MAKE the Playoffs to begin with.

99.9% Risk

0.1% Reward

50. kcarpenter1245 says:
    December 12, 2017 at 10:59 pm
    Lol @ Vikings fans. Their worst nightmare has come true. If the Packers make the playoffs this will solidify the legitimacy of Rodgers’ greatness.
    ///////////
    I have no idea why several of you have posted this. The Vikings are not concerned with the Packers, save for when they play them in week 16. The Vikings are concerned with the Bengals this week, concerned with securing the division, and possibly getting a bye. It’s highly unlikely the Vikings end up playing the Packers in the playoffs, even if they make the playoffs. And, Rodgers greatness has never been in doubt. He is great. It’s your team as a whole that is below average.

51. nhpats says:
    December 13, 2017 at 10:08 am
    ———————————

Nervous about the Packers with Rodgers? Laughable. Nervous about the officials calling a fair game in Lambeau you are damn right!! The way they protect that whimp when he’s healthy I can’t imagine what will happen now that he isn’t fully heeled. You Panther fans better be prepared to not get one holding call if he plays.

52. I just hope officials call a fair games when my Viking go to Green Bay. I could see them calling a bogus game to “Protect Rodgers”, If he needs protection he shouldn’t be playing. Period. He already gets many benefits from the officials on PI calls, and other items, but if he gets more “special treatment” to protect him from Anthony Barr, that is pathetic.
    ======

Where do you guys come up with this bunk?

The Packers haven’t protected Rodgers very well over the course of his career.

MOST sacked QB twice (2009, 2012) 2nd most sacks in 2015, this season he was on pace for a career high at 9% of his dropbacks.

#Mythbuster

53. billtetley53 says:
    December 13, 2017 at 10:05 am
    So, by Stellar’s rules packers fans….You have AR back, if they don’t win it all, it’s a choke right? No excuses now, your team is back……don’t choke!
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Nice try. It’s just like a Viking troll to avoid taking responsibility for his own actions. The postseason choking “rules” are the exclusive domain of Viking trolls, nobody else.

I find it more than humorous that you’re already conceding the likelihood of a Viking choke-job. You can’t see me, but I’m the one laughing my hat off.

54. Regardless of what happens the next three games, let’s hope that during the offseason, Packers fans and management think all they need to win is Aaron Rodgers. There’s no point in even trying to fix that offensive line or defense, as long as they have Aaron they don’t even need to concern themselves about the other 52 players. He can do it all by himself.

55. 13xworldchamps says:

No team in n the NFC wants to see Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs with a chip on his shoulder…….

**************************

Attached, I’ll bet, with 13 screws.

56. I have no expectations for this season. If he plays, great. If he doesn’t, great. One game at a time. I’m OK with hot-and-cold Hundley against the Panthers. Beat Carolina, then I’ll entertain some of the other scenarios. Until then, fingers-crossed, all the way. All the way until they are mathematically eliminated. No more, no less.

In the meantime and in consideration of the circumstances, it’s enough for me to watch the Vikings slide and possibly (TBD) choke in the postseason.

Boy, I sure hope they don’t choke. Not with the purple carpet being laid out for them.

57. It’s more mental now. Best thing for him is to take a hit early on in the game to get over the mental hurdle.

58. DOES THIS MAKE JORDY NELSON WORTH STARTING AGAIN IN FANTASY FOOTBALL? IT’S PLAYOFF TIME!!! C’MON!!
    =====

Davante Adams is far and away the best Packer receiver right now.

59. leatherface2012 says:
    December 13, 2017 at 11:10 am
    fact. now that Rodgers is back. they have zero excuse to not win the division and get in playoffs.. right cheeseheads?
    ///////////////////////////////

They don’t control their own destiny, like the Vikings do. The Packers need a lot of help from other teams, but the Vikings don’t. If the Packers don’t make it to the postseason, que sera, sera.

The Vikings are in the drivers seat. They need to win it all and there is nothing in their way. Anything less than a SuperBowl victory is a choke-job. It sounds unfair and brutal but those are their rules, nobody else’s.

60. Erik Gainer says:
    December 13, 2017 at 11:19 am

======

Jason Spriggs playing RT pretty much guarantees Rodgers will be hit –often.

61. aarons444 says:

December 13, 2017 at 11:04 am

======

Where do you guys come up with this bunk?

The Packers haven’t protected Rodgers very well over the course of his career.

#Mythbuster

————

I’m not talking about the offensive line’s inability to protect him. I’m talking about the Official’s. The Officials have showed favor towards Rodgers when he is completely healthy. Now that he is playing only 80% healthy, I feel like the officials will try to protect him more. If any hit or tackle is even %5 in question I could see the officials just throwing out penalties like snicker bars. Rodgers gets away with more than a lot of QB’s. In 2015, the Vikings QB Teddy, got hit really hard, dirty hit, and facemasked….and no penalties called. In a Lion’s game, it was the last play, the Lions layed a pinky…literally on his face masked, and a penalty was called giving them another chance to win. Weather The Packers admit it or not, Rodgers gets more free plays, penalties, and protection than a lot of players by the officials. When I watch the Packers, I literally think a flag is going to be thrown every time there is an incompletion.

62. Welcome back to the neighborhood Mr Rodgers. If the Cheese is tied with the Sea Gulls for a wild card spot, the Cheese has the tie breaker, having beaten Seattle in the opener.

63. Now that he is playing only 80% healthy, I feel like the officials will try to protect him more.
    =====

Hmm… so you were driving wrecklessly, slammed into another car and a jersey barrier…. suppose its your vehicles fault?

I’m not buying. If you were paying attention, you wouldn’t either.

The refs can’t protect Rodgers from himself holding the ball, running around trying to make a play, which is essentially 1/3 of the Packer offense the last 3 years.

The call or two that he *might* get will be meaningless compared to the shots he will take with Jason Spriggs getting beat like a rented mule.

64. stellarperformance says:
    December 13, 2017 at 11:43 am
    leatherface2012 says:
    December 13, 2017 at 11:10 am
    ///////////////////////////////

///////////
    Why do you goofballs keep posting such drivel?

The Packers won’t make the playoffs, because Rodger was hurt. The Vikings will make the playoffs, and have done better than anybody thought, with their third choice at QB. Simple as that.

65. For years Packer fans have preached about how REAL playoff teams control their own destiny and don’t need to look for outside help. Now this year they’ve got every possible scenario figured out. Winning all three against the Panthers, Vikings and Lions is the first step (won’t be easy). Then they need lots of help…like Tampa Bay to knock off Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans. Sorry, that ain’t gonna happen. Their only shot at making the playoffs is if Roger Goodell somehow gives them a special exemption and allows them in as the 7th NFC playoff team.

66. Stella continues to claim “choke” on the Vikings, as he said he would 6 to 8 weeks ago.

But by packer fan standards set on the Vikings, it’s been a great year.
    Thanks packer fans!!

And the packers continue to choke year in and year out based on their own 13 world title requirement.

Happy offseason Stella !

67. LOL at the viking fans saying the Packers should sit him, or he should take more time to heal, or “How’d that work out for Romo?” I’ve never seen so many viking fans so concerned for the health of a player from an opposing team. You can literally smell their fear through their comments.

68. billtetley53 says:
    December 13, 2017 at 10:05 am

No excuses now, your team is back……don’t choke!

————

We can appreciate succesful seasons because we have been to the top. Doesnt always have to be a Super Bowl win to have a successful season.

Dont let that stop you from enjoying your team. Take a break from your Packer bitterness.

69. All these Packer fans that are geeking out over Rodgers coming back will be the first ones to whine and complain if he gets hurt again and potentially ends his career prematurely. So, yes…bring Rodgers back and let’s see what happens. I’m sure Peppers, Kuechly, Addison and Davis will be ready for him. And if he somehow survives that he’s got Griffin, Joseph, Hunter, Hendricks and Barr waiting for him the following week. With that great Packer offensive line protecting him, what could possibly go wrong?

70. As a B

I’m not really a Packers fan but as a level headed NFL fan let me pass along some advice to the Minnesota Vikings fans who are trash talking pretty big right now about Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers:

When trash talking about a team that has won 4 Super Bowl Championships, one of which was with Mr. Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, it’s best to keep quiet when your team has never won a Super Bowl and hasn’t even played in one since John Madden’s Oakland Raiders beat you back in January, 1977 shortly after Jimmy Carter was elected president. Just a suggestion.

71. Why is there such a high number of Viking fans even here? Why are they giving this two-cents of their attention? Because they think the ball is going to be yanked away from them Charlie Brown style, that’s why.

72. the same 6 people are clogging these viking-packer threads every post. it’s pretty funny. and you just know when you have the posts like “i’m an eagles/bucs/ whatever fan, but I can’t stand vikings (packers) fans for this reason and so and so…you know its the same people but logging into different accounts.

73. How fitting. The purples have been yucking it up for weeks about Rodgers’s injury. Now that he’s back, they’re hoping the Vikes’ D injures him again. Expected nothing better from them.

74. As much as the Viking trolls want to make this about them (note how they’re using the term “WE” since the Vikes stopped stinking? The very thing they chided the non-troll Packers fans about?) … this is about Green Bay and a VERY good Carolina team. One that slapped Minnesota upside their heads. No small fete in view of how well Minne is playing this season as well.

I don’t presume to make glorious unsupported predictions because unlike the Viking trolls – I’m trying to differentiate between the regular clowns and the real fans like “purpleguy” and others — I don’t have a functioning crystal ball.

I am concerned, of course, about this Dom Capers defense plain and simple. Mix in the wiped out Packers’ DB corps and the complete absence of a pass rush and I can see #1 just having his way. Have NEVER been a Capers fan but perhaps he can devise one of his overly cooked up defensive schemes to confuse and perhaps contain #1. If that crappy defense can get off the field 3 or 4 drives where they’ve yielded 3 points instead of 7 … the Packers’ offense has a chance.

With Hundley, no chance. He is a Bridgewater kind of QB. More effective when he can run but to stretch the field and take the route downfield … he lacks the accuracy. Rodgers has that accuracy. Then, to keep my man Julius off Aaron’s keester…dang it Julius, I miss you, man. Kuechly–love your style brother…but…take a day off to recover, would you please?

Tons of respect for the Panthers, their organization and the fans I’ve met at Lambeau over the years (except the guy who hid that he was a fan of the Panthers until the Pack’s defense collapsed and the Panthers won in the last few minutes-then took off his jacket – bad form pal). Hope the Pack can compete.