Jon Gruden: I hope I’m a candidate for Raiders

Getty Images

When the Raiders fired Jack Del Rio after Sunday’s loss to the Chargers ended their season with a 6-10 record, there was no rush of reports about candidates to replace him on the sideline.

The reason for that is because every indication under the sun is that Jon Gruden is returning to his former job just as soon as the Raiders figure out a way to satisfy the Rooney Rule by interviewing a minority candidate for the job. In comments to Jerry McDonald of the Bay Area News Group, Gruden tried his best to make his getting the job seem like something other than a sure thing.

“My understanding is they’re interviewing candidates this week and they’re going to let everybody know sometime early next week or whenever they make their decision,” Gruden said. “Well, I think I am being considered, yes. I hope I’m a candidate.”

With no move to the Raiders yet official, Gruden will continue in his role as an ESPN analyst for Saturday’s Wild Card game between the Titans and Chiefs. While Gruden might be playing it coy, we’ll see how much those teams cooperate with Gruden given the belief that he’ll be competing with them in the near future.

72 responses to “Jon Gruden: I hope I’m a candidate for Raiders

1. I hope I never have to hear your voice, inane ramblings of praise for any player or crappy analogies ever again. Please sign with the LV Raidahs!

2. Come on already. He “hopes”, he is a candidate?

What a hoot!

Trying to make the Rooney Rule, more legit I guess.

3. Hmm…well nice to way to word this to attempt to avoid controversy. A little too late after the previous report from ESPN.

4. It was the right move for the Bucs to stand pat with Dirk Koetter. But it’s going to kill me to see Gruden coaching somewhere other than Tampa.

I still wish I knew the real story with the Glazers’ decision.

5. Davis: “Jon, I have a dump truck full of cash parked outside your house. Give me a few minutes to make a phone call, then go out and sign the delivery paperwork.”
    Gruden: “So, does this mean I’m being considered for a job? Golly, I sure hope so.”

6. The Rooney rule is a joke and everyone knows it. There are only 32 HC jobs available and I’d bet a dollar to a doughnut that an owner would hire a man from Mars if he thought he could coach a winner so making them interview minorities is ridiculous…

7. “Gee, I sure hope I am in consideration.”

Let me know when you interview some minorities so we can ink this thing.

8. electricboogalo says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:54 pm
    He won’t be able to swoop in and take Tony Dungy’s superbowl again

The bucs last year with Dungy were 9-7 and were 3rd in the NFC Central behind the Bears and Packers. Not sure how that is a considered a super bowl team.

9. Part of the problem is black coaches are not typically hired for what has now become the wave of hires, the QB Guru. See how that worked for the Giants?

Shanahan and McVay have football in their blood and can communicate. McAdoo? He had Rodgers. I think people are realizing their is a difference. It’s not the title but the person behind it.

I think that getting away from this QB guru stuff and finding the coach that can not only be a great OC but a great HC is the same as finding a franchise QB. One never knows until the draft/signing is over and the results of what happens on the field.

I think the guy getting ‘Rooney Ruled’ is a bit rude. You’re being used because you’re black. Isn’t that what we are supposed to be getting away from? Sure, you get interview experience but the interviewer isn’t listening and does not care.

10. electricboogalo says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:54 pm

He won’t be able to swoop in and take Tony Dungy’s superbowl again.
    _______________________________

It’s amazing how many people don’t seem to understand that was Rich McKay’s team that Dungy couldn’t seem to get over the top.

11. I’m not going to say the Rooney Rule is perfect, it isn’t.

Let’s say an owner already knows and decides (in his mind) who he wants to hire for his new head coach, before any interviews have taken place.

Yes, that would mean whichever minority candidate won’t be getting the position even though they are “interviewing”.

But, if they do well while talking to the decision makers and impress them, they’ve put themselves on notice with those people.

Now, the G.M. or the Asst. G.M. then leaves and goes to another team and they might end up hiring that minority candidate 2 years down the road or 4 years down the road due to being impressed by them in the “sham” interview.

Said exec’s then watch, follow and keep abreast of said minority candidate over the following years and end up hiring them.

I’m a white male but this same scenario has played out numerous times in my climbing of the corp ladder. I’ve interviewed many times when I was young to try and move up and it took me 3 or 4 different rounds, cycles to finally land the position I tried for.

One manager told me “I didn’t know who you were, I didn’t know you had any desire to move up. When I saw you interviewing, I decide to “watch” and “follow” you from afar and to begin to think about you in that position.”

He also told me he wanted to see how I’d react when I didn’t get the job. Would I go out and gripe and complain to others.

In time, even though I honestly didn’t stand a chance to land the position the first several times I applied and interviewed, I was laying the groundwork for my eventual success.

But again, the Rooney Rule isn’t perfect.

12. The Rooney rule is a form of reverse racism…the owners should have the right to hire whoever they believe is best sited for the job, black or white…

13. Just another reason not to watch the NFL. It’s a shame that a team can’t hire who they want unless they go through a process that includes preferential treatment.

14. doubleogator says:
    January 2, 2018 at 2:48 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There is no such thing as ‘reverse racism’. It’s just racism. People put the term reverse in front to make it seem like it isn’t as bad.

15. The guy is a bit fo a fraud. All this time: “I can’t control all of the reports…”, “happy at ESPN”, etc.

The guy’s wanted to return to the sideline for awhile and he wanted to hand pick his place and it was TB or Oakland and no others.

Let’s see through this veneer.

If the NFL is going to have the “Rooney Rule”, it needs to enforce it. It also should require that no hiring process starts until after the Super Bowl, and no negotiation before then. Then, it should include the “Rooney Rule”, if it’s going to have it.

16. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm
    Jon Gruden is the best HC in the NFL since Joe Gibbs. I’ll miss him on MNF. He was the lifeblood of the telecast.

—————–

BB forgot more about football this morning when he urinated than Gruden even knew or will know….

17. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm

__________________________

Really? Where does that leave Bill Belichick, in your opinion? MNF may actually be watchable again, depending on who replaces Gruden.

18. As to Oakland, they’re going to hire him basically for name recognition purposes because of their planned move to LV. Otherwise, he really doesn’t have much of a track record of fully developing a team…
    ________________________________________________________________________

I don’t believe that is actually true. He did develop the team that competed against him in the SB and the team that lost to the Pat’s on the “Tuck Rule.” Even if you want to take away the SB won in TB he did develop 2 AFC Championship teams. I would cut off a digit Ronnie Lott style for him to duplicate that.

Just saying

I don’t care for the hiring but…after experiencing this past season where it was clear that the Raiders were outcoached in every possible area, I think this is an improvement. I think Gruden is respected enough to actually get some decent coaches. If Rumors are true and Gannon comes back to mentor Carr that is already better than Downing who was putrid as the OC. The real test will be who he brings in as coordinators. If he as able to beat Todd Downing and Ken Norton he is already winning. It will be hard to do worse than that combo. In fact I can’t name a team that had a worse pair or coordinators.

It will be interesting.

19. bradygirl12 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 3:28 pm
    logicalvoicesays says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm
    __________________________

**********************************************

Take all the super bowl winning coaches in NFL history, and make a list. Now scratch off the names of the coaches that had HOF QB’s. The remaining names are probably the best coaches.

20. nhpats says:
    January 2, 2018 at 3:11 pm
    logicalvoicesays says:
    January 2, 2018 at 1:47 pm

—————–

————————-

I agree! But you should’ve said in the middle of the night instead. Doubt he can make it through a full night at that age.

21. Rooney Rule….just proves minorities have to work twice as hard to get that one opportunity for whites. I make this comment because I keep hearing that minority candidates should still interview even if they know they won’t get that job.

22. I never was a huge fan of Gruden when he was the Raiders HC. He was a showman first and foremost and even though he was popular by many others in the fanbase, I was never really sold by the whole “Chucky” routine. He did alright, but his results in Oakland were no better than Art Shell’s in Shell’s 1st stint- and Shell reached the playoffs in his 2nd year whereas the Raiders didn’t reach the postseason until Gruden’s 3rd year.

I do think that recycling Gruden after a 10 year break from coaching is a HUGE mistake and I fear that the results will be similar to what they were for Shell after he returned as Raider HC after a 12 year break. I think they would’ve been better off in keeping Del Rio, but I guess that Son-of-Al needs his publicity stunts.

23. Rooney Rule is outdated at this point. The NFL doesn’t have that issue anymore and I think it’s disrespectful to these minority coaches to just use him to fulfill a rule.

24. Anyone that accuses the Raiders of not looking at or hiring the best person they think is suited for the role should really brush up on their history. Tom Flores – 1st Hispanic Coach, Art Shell -1st Black Coach, Amy Trask – First Woman CEO, Reggie McKinze – One of few Black GM’s.

The Raiders have been front runners in give opportunities to the right candidates regardless of race or gender. I think the Rooney Rule is misnamed and it should be the Davis rule as he did this all before any of this was required and because it was the right thing to do.

I personally think the Raiders should get a lifetime pass on the rule because they have demonstrated time and time again they do not see color they see people who can do the job.

25. charliecharger says:
    January 2, 2018 at 3:42 pm

—————————

Coughlin, Harbaugh, Billick and Ditka better then Belichick? Not hardly. The last two did have insane defenses, though.

26. mmack66 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 4:31 pm
    charliecharger says:
    January 2, 2018 at 3:42 pm

—————————

0 0 Rate This
    ———–

How did Belichick do in Cleveland? I believe he (Belichick) is the best coach of my generation, but it does take a good coach to win a SB without a stud at QB, even if you do have a stout defense.

27. It means the Raiders must still go through the motions of pretending that some minority person actually still has a chance of landing the job as head coach. May be they should bring in someone who has no regular job now so they won’t waste his time.

28. John Henry’s Hammer says:
    January 2, 2018 at 4:40 pm

———————

He had the Browns winning, until Modell pulled the rug out from under him. He was the last coach to take the real Browns to the playoffs.

29. Maybe Gruden should’ve put in his two week notice AFTER calling the game. I tried finding who exactly at ESPN told Adam Schefter but it only said “a source”, which means one of the executives at ESPN. And the news was probably so hot they just HAD to report to one of their own before someone else heard it.

30. This is some slimy greaseball crap. He comes to the Raiders as they’re about to move to Vegas. They shouldn’t be able to take the Raider name or heritage to Vegas. It’s a crappy slap in the face of their fans from Oakland

31. So at least we know why all the experts will be picking the Raiders to win the AFC West again next preseason. Just like they did this preseason, and the preseason before that, and the preseason before that, and…well you get the point.

Never mind that the Raiders have not won the AFC West in 15 years (worst than that, they have only finished out of the bottom 2 once).

In that time Denver has won it 4 times, San Diego 5 times, and Kansas City has won it 4 times.

But without fail, like every preseason, next August the Raiders will be the fashionable pick. Then next December they will be sitting at home wondering what went wrong…for the 16th year in a row.

32. Hue Jack, Dennis Allen, Sparano, Del Rio and now another one…how many chances does McKenzie get? This is a results driven business and he doesn’t have any.