Marvin Lewis, Bengals agree to two more years

Getty Images

Marvin Lewis isn’t done in Cincinnati yet.

The Bengals announced on Tuesday that Lewis has agreed to a new deal to remain as the team’s head coach through the 2019 season.

Reports near the end of the regular season indicated that Lewis had decided to move on after 15 years on the sideline for the Bengals. There was no immediate announcement about his plans at the end of the season, however, and Lewis has spent the last couple of days meeting with Bengals owner Mike Brown about next steps.

“My job is to win a World Championship. We have a talented roster full of veteran leaders and emerging young stars and I am committed to making the necessary improvements to put this team in the best position to win,” Lewis said in a statement.

Lewis has gone 125-112-3 during the regular season and advanced to the playoffs seven times in his 15 years on the job. While he will be back for No. 16, Geoff Hobson of the team’s website reports that changes to his staff are expected in the coming days.

177 responses to “Marvin Lewis, Bengals agree to two more years

1. The jokes tell themselves. I honestly just wish the Bengal fans get a return favor from the Bills next December and maybe even a playoff win as well. It sucks to never win a big game.

2. LMAO I wish I could fail at my job for 15 years and continue to be rewarded. I guess some of us aren’t allowed certain”privileges” like people of Lewis’s ilk

3. Man, talk about a gut punch to the fans. The king of mediocre was just about to leave and then stays 2 more years. I feel for you, Cincy fans. Marvin is garbage.

4. Absolutely SHOCKING!!! This man must have pictures of the owner doing some seriously bad stuff. WOW!

5. arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:20 pm
    Jeff Fisher 2.0.

—-

I don’t expect much from the PFT peanut gallery of geniuses but Marvin Lewis, for all his flaws – and there are many – is nowhere near a comparison to Jeff Fisher. I think you just ran out of cool things to say which is a daily occurrence around here.

Fisher is a career 8-8 coach. Lewis – ignoring his down years these last two – has at least guided his team to the playoffs for most of them. His problem is he can’t win them. Fisher on the other hand, couldn’t win during the season, but when he did, guided his team to the Super Bowl. Nice comparison genius. Watch some football.

6. The Mike Brown Master Plan to relocate the franchise. Blame the market for low attendance and move to San Diego. As though they (San Diego) would actually welcome pedestrian mediocrity after their send off of the Chargers.

7. This is not lewis fault. You have an average quarterback, dalton, with many offensive options that dalton does not have the talent to use. The team should build on the defensive end to balance out the average offense. Kind of like that team that has bortles.

8. mantastic54 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:29 pm

That’s remarkable that he has coached three games that ended in a tie
    _________________________________

Remarkable? I would have gone with representative.

9. Zero chance Lewis or hue Jackson would be employed right now if they were white. Just the facts. Let’s hear more about this white privilege that supposedly exists

10. darkneptune73 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm
    2 more years of one and done in the playoffs. Awesome.

“Playoffs! Don’t talk about Playoffs! You kiddin’ me? Playoffs?”

11. darkneptune73 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm
    2 more years of one and done in the playoffs. Awesome.

8 1 Rate This

What playoffs are you talking about

12. In other Bengals news Pacman Jones was promoted to General Manager and Vontaze Burfict is also in charge of anger management counseling….

13. C’mon y’all.
    After all those seasons, complaining that the Bengals
    were one-and-done in the playoffs…
    now Marv boldly conquers that tradition
    and people are still complaining? ;P

14. The AFC North contains two of thew worst franchises in the league who aren’t even trying to win, and a Baltimore squad that has played .500 ball since Ray Lewis retired.

15. Bet Haslam’s view on Hue changes now that compensation for him is out of the question.

What the hell is in the water in Ohio?

16. I guess he’s a good guy and the players love him. I’m just very glad I’m not a Bengals fan.

17. Marvin Lewis is an easy target because he hasn’t one a playoff game however he rescued the Bengals from oblivion and is a very good fundemental coach. If he had Tom Brady he’d be a HOF coach..f Bill Belichick would have had John Kitna,Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton he might be Marvin Lewis.

18. Marvin Lewis is a solid NFL head coach. You need players to win, primarily a great QB. The Bengals don’t have a great QB. San Francisco started out 1-10, then Garappolo came in and they went 5-0. Did Shanahan go from idiot to genius overnight? C’mon people. Did anyone notice Green Bay after Aaron Rodgers went down? Surprise!! They could barely win a game. I certainly don’t agree with everything the Bengals owners do, in fact I disagree with most, but Marvin Lewis is a good coach. The Bengals’ problems aren’t coaching.

19. darkneptune73 says:

January 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm

2 more years of one and done in the playoffs. Awesome.

That’s actually an improvement for us now.

20. Bengals played their butts off. Figuring out of respect they should give him A send off win. But now he’s back again and those same players are probably saying “oh crap. He’s coming back?!?”

21. Good.for.him. I’ll be curious to hear the player reactions. He’s my favorite snake-bit coach ever. He’ll work his tail off as always. If I had one change, it would be at QB. Give me McCarron.

22. Everyone would cry racism if Vance Joseph was fired, but those same people don’t realize that Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson are invincible and survive anything

23. Folks this really isn’t that hard to figure out.

The Brown’s prefer stability over everthing else, including the character of their players and wins. Combined with the fact there is no additional pressure to build a stadium and their interstate rival is horrible; Cleveland’s winless season gives them even more cover, this was a slam dunk.

Now having said that you can bet things would be different if the Browns were in the NFC and even slightly mediocre..

24. If the state of O_hio had a pro team I would feel bad for their fan (s). Cleveland is having a parade for almost winning a game.What will they do if they win ( gasp ) 2 or 3 games join the union ( USA ).

25. Lewis’ failures are not just not winning a playoff game. It’s his complete failure to address the serious character issues on his team, time and time again. Very poor leadership.

26. Marvin is clearly not the guy to take the Bengals to the Super Bowl (or even a single playoff win…) but you all are forgetting just how bad they were before he came in and turned them into a (somewhat) respectable team. Coming from almost 15 consecutive losing seasons his record is really not bad.

You could do a lot worse… i.e. Hue Jackson, who many were calling for a couple years ago to replace Marvin.

27. Marvin has built up an unprecedented tolerance for Mike Brown. This should be studied by academics and philosophers.

28. I knew when they knocked the Lions and Ravens out of the playoffs, Marvin would spin that to Mike Brown and get rehired. Marvin is a snake in the grass.

29. Mikey Brown is so cheap he probably didn’t want to have to spend any money looking for a new coach.

30. My first thought is that Mike Brown wanted to give Hue Jackson time to accumulate more head coaching WINS than head coaching YEARS before hiring him back.

Then I realized Marvin’s extension was for only 2 years. That might not be long enough; Hue would need to put up back-to-back 2-14’s to reach 5 wins in 4 years.

I think that’s a stretch.

31. It is completely unfair Pittsburgh and Baltimore have the clown organizations of Cleveland and Cincinnati in their division. The NFL really has to do something. Did I hear right today the Bengals don’t have an indoor practice facility? My DII college has one!

32. you know what, im ok with this….the people crying racism re: other firings will not be happy & will most likely ignore marvin lewis

33. The definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, again and again and expecting different results. If I were a Bengals fan I’d be leaving disparaging Mike Brown graffiti all over Cincinnati.

Brown & Lewis may have a lot more going on than we know.

34. If Bengals fans really want to show their discontent, they should boycott games and merchandise immediately. Otherwise you WILL get more of the same year after year.

35. WOW, absolutely WOW! Who buys tickets to their games? I’m extremely grateful I’m not a fan of the Bengals, Browns, or Bears this past week and feel sympathy for the people of Cincinnati, Cleveland and Chicago.

36. I believe they want Hue Jackson. Hiring a new coach this year and waiting for Jackson to finally get fired next year wouldn’t look right. I have no doubt that if Hue would have been fired (as he definitely should have) in Cleveland, then Lewis would have walked away.

37. If I were a season ticket holder I would be cancelling my tickets! 15 years and not a single playoff win and the owner must think that is ok? Any owner willing to put up with that deserves an empty stadium.

38. Disclaimer: I’m obviously a Raiders fan, as you can see by the handle, so in no way am I here to troll the Bengals. And lord knows my team is a grease fire of epic proportions.

Now that I have that out the way: Bengal fans?? What is the skinny here? What in the name of the *jungle* does Marvin Lewis have on the ownership of this team?? After 15 years at the helm, what exactly is he going to do differently??

Marvin Lewis gives new meaning to the phrase “Teflon Don”!

39. Thanks for the drama, Marv!
    If that’s what it took to get the guys to beat up on the Ravens and keep the black birds out of the playoffs….
    Thanks!

We’re on to the bye week.

40. jocko1181 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:34 pm
    Wake me up when Mike Brown kicks the bucket and Bengals fans actually have a shot at watching a relevant team again

******************************************************************

Again?

41. Incredible. Makes ZERO sense to me. Such a joke. Classic Mike Brown.
    Underachieving franchise, and destined to stay that way.
    I imagine that all that Brown cares about is the value of a NFL franchise.

Florio had this one………

42. jackedupboonie says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Actually happened in reverse. Bengals last playoff win was against the Bills.

43. This is an interim move to make attendance tank even worse while MikeyBoy decides whether to move the team to Mexico City or London. Either way, good riddance. I’m done.

44. The Bengals are mired in mediocrity, do not know any better so they choose the familiar albeit grossly inadequate path.

45. I can’t help but think that Red Puppet (aka “The Clapper”) is on his way to becoming Marvin Lewis 2.0. Years and years of mediocrity (.500) and Jerry could not care less, as long as he has his “yes” man. I can barely stand him now, if he lasts as long as Lewis I sure as hell will have to reconsider rooting for the Cowboys…

46. Bengals fans need to do a “University of Tennessee” – find a rock to spray paint a message, destroy social media about this unconscionable move, and pressure advertisers not to accept this gross mismanagement.

Cleveland fans, for that matter, ought to do the same.

Governor Kasich -help!

47. reddzen says:

Jeff Fisher: 22 years as a head coach. .512 career winning percentage
    Marvin Lewis: 15 years as a head coach. .527 career winning percentage

Both coached long after they should have been fired. Both were extended or hired more than they should have been. Both are bad coaches. Do more research.

48. pittsburgh and baltimore should hide their head in shame if they don’t both make playoffs every year with 4 perennial gimmes on the schedule.

49. thermanmerman99 says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm
    ++++++++++++++++
    Congress or the Bengals, either way

50. Wow, just wow. Lifetime Steelers fan, since 1970….that said, our fans have been calling for Mike Tomlin’s head for years on the team’s website, and he’s actually WON playoff games and a Super Bowl. Can’t even imagine what Bengals fans are feeling right now.

51. My deepest condolences to Bengals fans! Guaranteed a couple of more years of under performing mediocrity…at best!

52. It’s amazing how all the squealers fans and Raven fans run their mouths about the Bengals. You guys got your own issues. Half of the player protection rules developed over the last 10 years are the result of Steeler cheap shots. Why Raven fans would have anything to say after getting knocked out of the playoffs, at home, by the Bengals, is hard to say. I root for the Bengals, not against anybody, except of course, the squealers.

53. reddzen says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:30 pm
    arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 2, 2018 at 5:20 pm
    Jeff Fisher 2.0.

—-

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well, me thinks the part they were comparing goes more along this line.

Jeff Fisher has 12 more wins than he has losses in his coaching career.

Currently, Marvin Lewis has 13 more wins than he has losses in his coaching career.

54. A cheap owner and below average coach; a match made in heaven.

Have fun wallowing in ineptitude for a couple more years Cincy.

55. Serves you right Cincy. Just had to beat the Ravens in a meaningless game. Now you stuck with him for another two years. Could have just lost and he would have been gone. You got no one to blame but yourselves.

56. ibillwt says:

January 2, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Marvin Lewis has done quite well against the Ravens actually. Hell, just 72 hours ago he beat them using a patchwork offensive line and a game that was meaningless to them.

57. carcettiformayor21211 says:

January 3, 2018 at 7:13 am

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They had to knock the Lions out of the playoff hunt the week before as well. Nothing like playing well when it’s way too late.

58. I,m more surprised that Lewis stayed than the fact that ownership ask him to stay. Lewis should go somewhere he can win with good players and ownership that will go out and spend some money on good players.

59. “pittsburgh and baltimore should hide their head in shame if they don’t both make playoffs every year with 4 perennial gimmes on the schedule.”

——————————————————————————————–Pittsburgh has swept the division and have taken the division two years in a row. I doubt they would hide from anything inside of the AFCN.

60. Are they trying to shrink the fan base? What is their motivation? Are they looking to move? To where? There really is no rhyme or reason to this.

61. Has this guy been coaching the Bungles since Ken Anderson was hooking up w/ Isaac Curtis?? I know he had to teach Ickey Woods the Ickey shuffle! Don’t know what the team is paying in cash but I heard the bonus comes as BOGO coupons at Jersey Mikes subs.

62. As a Bengal fan this hurts, but it is pretty curious why there are so many comments about the AFC North thanks Mike Brown or stuff along those lines. Cleveland sure as heck hasn’t beaten Lewis much at all and Lewis actually has a good record against the Ravens including last Sunday knocking them out of the playoffs when they had nothing to play for and Baltimore had everything to play for. Only team thankful should be the Steelers.

63. bradygirl12 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 8:06 am
    As long as people keep buying tickets ,Bengals management will keep this guy around.
    _________________________________________________________________________

That is actually what is so curious about this. The fans are NOT buying the tickets as they were before. You are never going to have a completely empty stadium obviously, but the stadium has been quite empty.

64. I’m totally happy with the Lewis extension. I remember the times before Marvin and the Bengals definitely don’t need one of the retread “geniuses” that are out of work because their teams weren’t interested in keeping them. Any way you cut it, the Bengals have been a successful franchise with Lewis. They may not have won a playoff game. Guess what, a majority of the rest of the NFL teams haven’t won one either, during the Lewis’s era.

65. I had to wait a day and check back on this, to make sure we weren’t being Punk’d. I still can’t believe that the Bengals extended someone who hasn’t won a playoff game in 15 years. Hell, even Jeff Fisher has won some playoff games…