Attention Patriots players: Give yourselves extra time tomorrow

Getty Images

With a blizzard warning issued in Boston for Thursday morning and with no snow days in football (at least not in Bill Belichick’s brand of football), it’s important for all Patriots players to keep one thing in mind: There’s no excuse for being late.

“You certainly better leave yourself enough time to get here on time tomorrow,” receiver Matthew Slater told reporters on Wednesday. “We all know there’s weather. Coach has mentioned that several times to the team. I wouldn’t want to be the guy who’s late tomorrow. But look, I don’t think we’re going to have an issue. Guys understand we need to be here. The expectation is what it is. We live in New England. There’s going to be weather. Give yourself some extra time; as simple as that.”

Belichick hasn’t been bashful about sending players home for showing up late in the snow. Former Patriots receiver Randy Moss and three other players were sent home for showing up late on a snowy day in December 2009. In 2014, former Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis was sent home for being late due to reasons other than the weather. In late 2013, Belichick reportedly nearly cut linebacker Brandon Spikes for showing up late due to the snow.

“Don’t call and say your car got stuck,” safety Devin McCourty told reporters. “I think everyone knows there’s two hotels up here at Patriot Place so stay there for the night. Find a way. But I tell guys, like wake up earlier, especially if you don’t have a garage or something. Wake up. Go clean your car out. I think guys know. We’re in the NFL playoffs. I think everyone kind of – if you’ve been here for a week or two weeks you kind of get that this guy Bill [Belichick] that talks every day in the morning meeting, he doesn’t play. So not much needs to be said about being here on time and being ready to work.”

McCourty knew from the moment he arrived that it makes sense to be as close to the office as possible.

“I knew not to come late,” McCourty said. “I found a couple nice places that are about 15 or 20 minutes away my rookie year and I was like ‘Nah, I’ll do the three minutes away.’ I think guys know that. You see it. . . . Like I always say, the goal every day is not to get fired. So guys know that.”

So, basically, don’t be late on Thursday. Unless of course your name is Tom Brady.

26 responses to “Attention Patriots players: Give yourselves extra time tomorrow

1. Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm
    Come live in Fargo ND for a winter. I’ll show you weather. East coast lightweights.

2 5 Rate This

————————-

lol

dear weatherman,

that snow pattern that rolls through the plains, ends up stalling for longer off the coast due to the jet stream

the blizzard of ‘78 says hello

clueless and jealous

2. Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm

………………..

You know what stinks, I had to go out and mow my damnnn grass today.

3. I’m from Boston. Spent time in 49 of 50 states. Other than the top of Mt. Washington, the coldest I have ever been was the plains of North Dakota. With windchill it was minus 30+ degrees.

4. What was that awkward but serious chant Belichick started at last year’s Super Bowl parade:
    NO DAYS OFF!!!

What? Did you think their success was an accident?

5. Come live in Fargo ND for a winter

I read once that, as a child, Lawrence Welk and his family spent a ND winter living in an overturned covered wagon.

I never made a Lawrence Welk joke again in my life, and never will.

Were I a Patriot, I’m staying at the facility tonight.

6. I suppose it is too much to expect a professional to be on time. My wife is a nurse, and she gets to work on time every time. And we live 20 miles from Foxboro.

7. Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm
    Come live in Fargo ND for a winter. …
    ———————————————
    Why would anyone in the whole World want to do that?!

8. tigerlilac says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:42 pm
    —————————————
    Sunday morning Devils Lake North Dakota was -46. Fargo luckily was only -24. That of course is without the wind chill.

9. tylawspick6 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:23 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm

2 5 Rate This

————————-

lol

dear weatherman,

the blizzard of ‘78 says hello

clueless and jealous

———————
    Dude! I grew up on UP Michigan begore moving to NE. There may be some moments here and there but the folks up in Northern Minnesota over to the UP get seriously hairy stuff. What folks here in NE call the blizzard of 78 they call Tuesday. Dont doubt that they do get the sick weather up there. Be happy that we got the football team instead.

10. While Belichick holds this firm expectation, Todd Haley injures his hip in a bar fight on Sunday night.
    And you wonder why the superior personnel of the Steelers can’t get past the Patriots?

11. nfliferfan22 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:33 pm

nobody feels sorry for rich athletes who could pay for someone to fly them to the stadium
    ________________________________________________________

And how are planes supposed to fly in a blizzard? Where do they land- on the fifty yard line???

______________________

grogansheroes says:
    January 3, 2018 at 8:10 pm

_______________________________________________________________

Mostly agree, but there are a lot of guys in football from the South who have never been around snow, and a bunch of practice squad guys who don’t make much money and are traded around city to city like cattle- doubt a lot of them are properly equipped.

I expect somer of this is about team building with Bellichik.

12. tylawspick6 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:23 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm

2 5 Rate This

————————-

lol

dear weatherman,

the blizzard of ‘78 says hello

—————

Lmao. 78? 40 years ago. Dude in the Great Lakes we wipe that off our windshield every morning.

13. Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 3, 2018 at 7:13 pm
    —————————-
    Average yearly snowfall in Fargo is 52 inches about the same in Massachusetts away from the coast.