Bears interviewed Vic Fangio for head coach opening Wednesday

AP

The Bears have put together a group of outside candidates for the head coaching vacancy created when they fired John Fox this week, but they’ll also consider someone from Fox’s staff.

The team announced on Wednesday that defensive coordinator Vic Fangio interviewed for the job. The team said General Manager Ryan Pace conducted the interview.

Fangio has been a coordinator for several NFL teams since getting that job with the Panthers in 1995 and spent one year at Stanford in 2010 before returning to the pros on Jim Harbaugh’s 49ers staff in 2011. He moved to Chicago when Fox was hired in 2015.

The Bears defense took some positive strides in the last few years and the offense-leaning makeup of their coaching candidate list suggested there is some hope that Fangio can stay to keep working with the unit. If Fangio did well on Wednesday, he may be staying around with a promotion.

30 responses to “Bears interviewed Vic Fangio for head coach opening Wednesday

1. I don’t know if Fangio is interested in sticking around as the DC since he supposedly wanted to leave last year to go back to SF, but I’d think twice about hiring any coach that doesn’t want to attempt to keep Fangio

2. The Bears are also interviewing Laverne’s father, Frank DeFazio, who runs the Pizza Bowl on Laverne & Shirley.

3. I think Vic would be a good HC. However I rather have a younger, offensive minded HC, and the new HC keep the experienced Fangio as an assistant HC and defensive coordinator.

4. Over the years, most of the successful head coaches seem to come from the offensive side. They do need a good defensive coordinator to help them out though.

5. I guess it all boils down to three things:

1. Can Vic be the front man for the team in every aspect of the job?
    2. Who can he get as his OC?
    3. Will he be aggressive enough to win games?

I am confident in #3, no idea on #2, and #1 does not give me confidence. I would estimate he will not be offered the job.

6. I’d be surprised if this happens. Emery knows he needs an offensive mind to mold Trubisky. After all, the QB is going to butter his bread or sink his ship. Besides, I’m hoping the Packers hire Fangio as their next DC. 🙂

7. I don’t know if he could front a franchise but he is an excellent co-ordinator. Considering all the retreads that keep getting jobs, Vic certainly deserves a shot.

8. Not that I want him to go, but the Bears would be smart to look at Todd Haley. Great coach, good offensive mind and very good with QBs.

9. Why would Fangio want to go to gb in a lateral move. The Bear defense has the players and he has been working with them. The packers have no defensive players and he would have to start from scratch. Also the restaurants in Chicago are incredible while the Denny’s in gb is average.

10. Hire a young, offensive-minded head coach and keep Fangio to run the defense. That strategy sure seemed to work out for the Rams with McVay and Phillips.

11. zerotrophiessince1961 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 3:41 pm

I thought Phil Emery was fired 3 years ago ?…ahh…what do I know ?

12. jman967 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 4:07 pm

——————–

Todd Haley? The guy that used to coach the Chiefs? The guy that is the OC for the Steelers? The guy that just broke his hip in an altercation outside of a bar?

That guy?

13. flviking says:
    January 3, 2018 at 4:51 pm

16 7 Rate This
    ——————

Pretty simple, actually. A new coach is going to want his own guy more likely than not. Fangio may be out of a job. Unless Emery wants to make renewing Fangio (who is a good coach) a condition of accepting the HC job – which would limit his HC choices.

That, and Aaron Rodgers. If you are DC in GB, you know your defense doesn’t have to be a “shut down” defense to win. Keep teams under 20 and you’ll win almost every game, and even under 25 for most games.

14. I really, really hope they hire Fangio as the HC. I could see him landing an HC position elsewhere if not, but I really don’t want the Bears to lose him.

15. Props to the guy who in 2 separate comments named dropped the GM that was fired 3 years ago.

On another note I hope the Bears pick that dude from WVU Kevin White in the Draft this year. Trubisky could use a #1 wideout like that – he looks like he could be really good and he doesn’t seem to be injury prone at all which is a plus

16. The only way I picture Fangio making a lateral move is if he feels it’s a matter of job security behind not knowing what a new head coach may do in Chicago.

As for Fangio becoming head coach in Chicago, I don’t know. He certainly seems deserving enough but the Bears were right on the edge of putting it all together with the defensive-minded Lovie Smith for all those years and they just couldn’t quite get there. Now they’ve had 3 years of John Fox and they haven’t ascended as we thought they might have (or even should have). I would think they’d want an offensive guy to help bring Trubisky along but what do I know? I’m a cabbage.

17. zerotrophiessince1961 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 6:05 pm
    flviking says:
    January 3, 2018 at 4:51 pm

16 7 Rate This
    ——————

///////////////////////

So you really don’t want a great DC in gb because Aaron will get you 25+ a game. How did that work out for you last year? Isn’t that what capers gave you?

18. jman967 says:
    January 3, 2018 at 4:07 pm

—————————————————————————————————–
    Todd Haley is Jeff Fisher 2.0.

19. I am sure we’ll all be surprised when the actual hire is made. However if they pick Fangio Pace would be wise to subtly leak out when makes Fangio very different in style than Fox was as a HC.