Mike McCarthy: Brett Hundley improved after being thrown into fire

Getty Images

The Packers are accustomed to their quarterbacks setting records . . . just not the kind of records Brett Hundley set this season.

The backup quarterback went 3-6 during Aaron Rodgers‘ absence, including 1-4 at Lambeau Field. Two of the losses were shutouts at home, something that hadn’t happened in Green Bay since Mike McCarthy’s first season of 2006. And Hundley set an NFL record for most attempts at home without a passing touchdown in a single season with 162.

So it was that McCarthy was asked about Hundley’s play during the coach’s season-ending press conference Thursday.

“I think that’s a statistical question, No. 1,” McCarthy said, via Michael Cohen of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “I think there’s a lot of good things Brett did. There’s definitely things that have been highlighted and probably blown out of proportion that didn’t go right. I’ll say this: From the time he stepped in the game in Minnesota to the time he walked off the field in Detroit, he made significant improvement.

“Brett and I talked about this, this week. I felt that he should’ve been better prepared for the situation that was he was put into, but once he got the opportunity, I thought he did a heck of a job. I thought he really improved, so you can see with the reps and the primary attention and all the things that when he got his opportunity he really maxed it out. I’m not making excuses, but I don’t know if I’ve ever coached an offensive game where we had 13 drops in two games. You have to look at the whole picture. He’s running an offense. It isn’t like we cut everything back and played bland football. A lot of good things to learn from, [and] he’ll improve from it. I look for him to have a great offseason.”

Hundley is under contract for next season, but it doesn’t mean he will remain on the team. The Packers likely at least bring in competition at the position behind Aaron Rodgers, even with Hundley and Joe Callahan on the roster.

“We need to have the most competitive 90-man roster in the league,” McCarthy said. “I don’t think you can ever have enough quarterbacks. The quarterback’s the most important position in the building. You’d like to have four real guys in training camp. I think that’s something that you focus on and try to improve, but you like to say that at every position.”

44 responses to “Mike McCarthy: Brett Hundley improved after being thrown into fire

1. GB Coach is so delusional how does he still have a job. Even with the best QB he cant even get additional rings wow smh. this is coming from an Eagles fan.

2. ez0682 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 2:51 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I mean this with all due respect but Super Bowl rings aren’t nearly as easy to come by as fans of teams that don’t have any seem to think they are… if they were, your team would have one… or even several. Yes, I know your Eagles have 3 championships, and those are to absolutely be respected, but they’re even harder to attain these days with free agency and the salary cap.

This may finally be your year. If they win it this year and don’t win another in ten years are they a failure? Somehow, I don’t think you’ll feel that way. The odds say each team should win one every 32 years. McCarthy’s well ahead of the curve. Even the Pats don’t win it every year and Jebus knows, they are without question the best-run organization in the game today.

3. C’Mon Cabbage – I’m as big a Packers fan as you will find – since 1960, but you cannot measure MM on Super Bowl wins. He’s had nothing but HOF QB talent. If there was a stat for Super Bowls prevented, he would rank #1. He should’ve been the first one gone.

4. Hundley started off poorly, then showed flashes of solid play. Unfortunately, those flashes were just that; flashes, fleeting in time. If he had a full camp and worked with the ones all year he may develop into something… or he may not. Honestly, I’m skeptical but I don’t think it’s completely hopeless at this point. Aaron Rodgers played poorly in his first year. Case Keenum had the “journeyman” reputation. Kurt Warner was stocking shelves in a grocery store. On and on and on, world without end, amen.

I’m 100% sure Mike McCarthy knows more about the play and development of young quarterbacks than I, or any of you, ever will. The “tell” will be if Hundley stays in Green Bay and stays at number two.

5. I sure don’t have any special qualifications to judge the ability of a quarterback but it sure seems like Hundley hadn’t improved at all.

6. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    January 4, 2018

————————
    Where does this nonsense come from?
    The odds say?

Once again a delusional packer fan determining what’s a good season or a good coach in the NFL. Your team was an epic fail this year.
    Get over it.

Can’t wait for the playoff games !

7. Did McCarthy watch the last two games or was he just mailing it in like his team?

And people wonder why the fans of the NFC North hope McCarthy stays in GB.

Talent evaluations are not his strength, apparently.

8. Hundley improved. His short touch was atrocious early on, got a bit better. He runs well. He lacks vision though and I’m not sure he can improve on that. And as for QB of the future, we don’t have to worry about that for another 4 seasons. Oh and lose the gum, this isn’t 8th grade.

9. Anybody with eyes knows he’s lying. Well, unless Hundley was absolutely horrible in practice from the get go. Then sure, he improved. But then you need to ask why he was the backup QB this whole time. I’m absolutely perplexed as to why Hundley got 9 starts.

10. “Aaron Rodgers played poorly in his first year.”

Depends if you are talking about 2005 or the first year he really played. He did great (106 rating and led a comeback that fell short) in 2007 in the one game he came in when Favre went out with an injury. 2008 was the first year he played significantly, and you could easily argue that his passing stats were as good as NFL MVP Peyton Manning, plus he was a much better runner than Manning. Problem was the defense that year, they gave up the most pts by a Packer defense since 1986. Had they preserved half of his comebacks by holding the opponent on the game’s last drive, Packers would have been a playoff team.

11. Really, what do people expect MM to say at his season ending press conference –

“Our back up QB sucks and he doesn’t belong in the league”?

He answered the question without throwing his player under the bus. Nothing more. For those throwing shade at him because you think his statements are some kind of talent report, then you obviously have no idea how a functional team operates.

12. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:25 pm
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    January 4, 2018

————————
    Where does this nonsense come from?
    The odds say?

Get over it.

Can’t wait for the playoff games !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This season was absolutely terrible. McCarthy is still well ahead of the curve with 1 championship and 8 playoff appearances in 10 years. I know those facts don’t support your delusional chest-thumping but they’re still the facts and they always will be the facts. That’s what makes this so fun. The more you’re confronted with simple facts, the wilder your little rants get. I’m not surprised you can’t grasp the simple math that says 32 teams means each team should win 1 championship every 32 years.

13. djvh2 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:18 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don’t deal in “coulda woulda shoulda.” I deal in facts. Sure, the Packers may have won more Super Bowls without McCarthy… or they may have not won any. Rodgers himself says McCarthy (and surprisingly, Favre) made him into the QB he is today. Every aspect of his game was changed when he got to Green Bay: footwork, throwing mechanics, and the ability to read defenses. Would Rodgers have been as good if he had been selected by San Francisco and gone through the same nightmare Alex Smith went through? I don’t know. Neither do you or anybody else. Again, I just don’t deal in “coulda woulda shoulda.”

14. “he made significant improvement” Wow, I missed that completely – yes, he played pretty well in Pittsburgh but for the most part was consistently inconsistent and made every rookie mistake. He stared down receivers, failed to throw on time, had happy feet in the pocket, seemed incapable of reading a defense and made desperation throws under pressure. He definitely didnt look like a well prepared backup quarterback that had been in the same system for three years.

15. To say Bert Hundley improved over the games he played this season, ignores the fact that he set an all time NFL record for futility on his home field.

No one ever played this much without throwing at least one TD pass. No one….

16. How about deal in the facts that he was the Coach who let his backup QB be as unprepared as he was to start games this year? Other teams have their backups and 3rd string Qb’s practice with the team and prepare them in case they need to play. Also, why not throw callahan out there last year, see if there’s at least one competent backup on the roster before draft day.

17. But then you need to ask why he was the backup QB this whole time. I’m absolutely perplexed as to why Hundley got 9 starts.
    _________________________
    Hundley had two 3 td games this season. How many of these games did the darling TB12 (babyhands version) have in his 29 ballgames? He was all the rage for two years. Seems …… inconsistent.

18. Oh please this is the problem with this guy he is loyal to bums. Zimmer of the Vikes couldnt fire Walsh for missing the kick that costs them a chance at the playoffs fast enough a few years back, and Mike just wants to try and work with dead wood.
    First Mike, facts: In college Hundley avg 8 yards a pass, his long passing was horrid. Nothing has changed. Second Hundley led the division is being sacked holding the ball too long. Nothing has changed. Third Hundley ran a lot being indicisive of open receivers. Nothing has changed.
    Last, if Hundley was cut my take no one would bite on him. He has three years in the nfl and hasnt learned a thing mike

19. Personally I always thought Mike was lazy and hated to practice. Keeping the same people around makes that a reality. Hundley Knows the system, ergo I dont have to train in a new guy. What an idiot.

20. No, Hundley has not, nor will he probably ever, improve. He had three years to learn behind Rodgers, and ten games in regular season to show any signs of life. Other than gum chewing, the guy is limited in skills at this level. Move on and out!

21. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:41 pm

———
    Well duh. But where did you come up this formula?
    Did you read it somewhere? Did you bang your head in the bathroom?

I’m not surprised that you couldn’t even understand my point.
    I guess you and Stella are too busy planning the 2019 preseason Super Bowl poll party.

22. how far he came is not as relevant as how far he has to go. He still looks a long way off of being a competent NFL QB even if he did progress down that road. I don’t get the “thrown into the fire” remark when he is not a rookie. He has been preparing for this for at least a year and arguably for his whole life.

23. Wow, just wow!

McDoofus needs an eye exam, possibly surgery to open his eyes.
    Although, I don’t think there are any corrective lenses available
    to correct what he see’s in Huntley.

After 3-years, this guy sucks, plain and simple. No other way to explain it.

I am a die hard Packer fan, but he needs to go, period.

WAKE UP MCDOOFUS!

24. Consider:
    Three years behind Rodgers to learn the Packer system and that’s as well as he plays?

And you guys get on Sam Bradford and the Vikings when he came in and got two weeks of practice and went 8-8 behind an O-line made up up 3rd stringers and has-beens?

25. Just to bring up a fact. Hundley did not beat the Browns, and Tampa. Yes I know a win is a win, but those two QB’s gave the game to GB by doing stupid crap. Didn’t he also get shut out twice at home? I understand getting shut out by the Vike’s but the Ravens? He is not a very good GB period.

26. fngs1 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 6:44 pm

I understand getting shut out by the Vike’s but the Ravens?
    ————————–
    The Ravens pitched three shut outs this season. So maybe you should have a different understanding.

27. McCarthy deserves blame for a lot of what’s happened (or not happened) in GB these last few years. That said, this notion that he is a terrible coach is knee jerk to me. I think you guys are focused too much on the team’s results and not enough on what the person himself actually brings to the table. He has, believe it or not, earned a reputation as a good offensive coach for good reason. More importantly, his relationship with Rogers is important to the team’s success. That’s the difference between fans and personnel on the inside-fans see the team not winning a championship and decide that the coach, or the QB, or whomever it is needs to go. They don’t consider what’s being lost along with that.

That does not mean that McCarthy is blameless in any of this. Hundley is awful, and he was an awful pick for their system when they drafted him (a very confusing selection to me at the time, and doubly so now). However, Ted Thompson has been behind the curve for years now, and Dom Capers has not been a good defensive coordinator for some time either. Thompson’s refusal and/or inability to make successful moves in free agency (minus the Peppers signing) and his overconfidence in his drafted players put unnecessary strain on the team, on both offense and defense. I’m not even sure honestly how much blame Capers deserves, considering the lack of talent and/or appropriate players he was handed. I also don’t know how I can blame McCarthy for their entire offense line being injured for two years straight. Or their corners dropping like flies. Or their running backs (another area Thompson refused to improve on).

But yeah. Hundley does suck. McCarthy could have done better. But if we’re being honest, he’s not the guy who failed the most up there, and he does still have value to the team.

28. Hundley should be released. He is not a viable option as.a back up QB. Losing 2/3rds of your starts and getting blanked 2 times in 9 games is not good enough. McCarthy gave the kid a shot and the kid doesn’t have it. Cut him.

29. packertruth says:
    January 4, 2018 at 9:09 pm
    fngs1 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 6:44 pm
    I understand getting shut out by the Vike’s but the Ravens?
    ————————–
    ——————————————————————————————
    Yes they did. It was also against Bengals/Pack and Miami Who had Matt Moore at QB who was 0-2 with 4 TD’s and 5 Int’s for the year. Nothing against the Ravens, but their Defense is no where near the Vike’s. You also mention Hundley had two 3TD’s games, but he has also had Two 3 Int’s games so what is the understand for that besides being a bad QB.

30. The best part of this is the commentary about a Packer backup, from fans of a team that has started a seemingly never ending parade of “best quarterbacks in the NFL,” all of whom garnered similar results to Hundley. Yikes!