Mike McCarthy: New G.M. and I have to “fit together”

Getty Images

The Packers are looking for a General Manager for the first time since Mike McCarthy became the team’s head coach in 2006 and McCarthy was asked about the search process during his Thursday press conference.

McCarthy referred specific questions about candidates to Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy, but said that he is “involved” in the process. The Packers are interviewing several in-house candidates with Russ Ball on the administrative side of the shop and Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst coming from the personnel department.

McCarthy was asked if he has a general preference about the background of Ted Thompson’s successor. McCarthy said he and Thompson had a “hell of a partnership” for the last 12 years and would want the same with the next G.M.

“My preference really goes back to what I said earlier. It has to fit,” McCarthy said, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “I have the best job in pro football, and no disrespect to the other 31 clubs. I love it here, I want to be here, but it has to fit for me, too. I’ve done this job long enough, I wouldn’t want the G.M. to hire me or partner with me if we don’t fit together. Because you’re on a path for, in the short term and long term, it’s going to be a lot difficult to get to where you’re going to go. It has to be a partnership.”

One would think there would be a pretty good idea about how McCarthy and the in-house candidates work together given how long they’ve already been colleagues, but the change in responsibilities for the new General Manager could lead to a change in that dynamic that leads to further changes down the line.

58 responses to “Mike McCarthy: New G.M. and I have to “fit together”

1. I can’t tell if this is a warning shot to Murphy and the 645 person Board of Directors about who they hire or if it represents his active involvement in the GM hiring process.

2. What change in responsibilities for the new GM? There hasn’t been any info out about the new GM having any change in responsibilities, other than the fact he has to honor McCarthy’s contract for at least 2018 and could make his own choice after that if he feels it’s best.

3. “Why is he still giving a weekly press conference? Go home Mike, your season is done.”

With no new GM and the need to hire a DC and some offensive assistants, yes, he should be giving a presser, and no he shouldn’t be going home. He’s got the get the team back to where he got it in the first place, making the playoffs, competing for Super Bowls and winning a Title.

4. conormacleod says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:27 pm
    ______________________________
    Why do you care? Oh, you say you don’t? Then why are you here, on this particular thread? ….. I’ll wait.

Cheeseisfattening, this one is all teed up for you buddy……..

5. New GM, new Offensive Coordinator, new Defensive Coordinator, new QB Coach… Dilly, dilly! The Green Bay Packers won’t say it but they are having a major implosion in their organization. Yes, they still have the Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers combo, but little else. Team is still 100% dependent on Rodgers and his health.

6. Bad choice of words Colombo. If you are talking about an office or vehicle, I doubt anybody could “fit” with you in there, you are a pretty hefty boy.

7. I’m actually ok with this. We need new GM blood with does need to mesh with the coaching staff. And I’m even fine with McCarthy as long as he’s willing to hand the defensive reins over to the D-coordinator.

8. “I’m a pretty good coach”. Proceeds to miss the playoffs after starting 4-1 and goes for a 57 yard field goal in pittsburgh of all places. Yeah, you might think you and the GM have to fit together, but I guarantee if its not atleast the championship game you’re gone buddy.

9. Does anyone think Aaron Rodgers has a say (or is a factor) on whether McCarthy stays? I saw some eye rolling by the injured QB on the sidelines (picked up by network cameras) because of questionable offensive play calling.

10. Article states “a pretty good idea about how McCarthy and the in-house candidates work together given how long they’ve already been colleagues”. I think this is inaccurate……. some people get promoted and they change. It’s an unknown crapshoot.

But no matter how it works, I’m sure Viking fans will tell us it didn’t………. once or four kajillion times.

11. ARod(in his collarbone) says:

January 4, 2018 at 3:36 pm

This coming from a fan of the team who’s head coach is looking more like “Zim – The Michelin Man”.

12. thegreatjimbrown says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:28 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

By “change of responsibilities” I believe the writer isn’t referring to the new GM having different responsibilities than Thompson; I believe he’s talking about the possibility of an internal candidate’s personality changing with the change in responsibilities. I know I’ve seen people who were easy to get along with and work with until they became a “boss.” Then they got all power drunk and could not be gotten alog with no matter what.

13. Mike should be replaced. He isn’t and hasn’t ever been very good. His record would be garbage without Rogers. While coaches like Bill Bellichick would still have winning seasons and playoff berths.

14. I like Mike McCarthy. Give him at least an average defense and this QB and he will give you a Super Bowl. I actually think he has improved as a play caller over the past two years and I like the trend. McCarthy is a man of character and that matters. Just go back and watch his press conference after the Fail Mary. Harbaughs and Carroll would be apoplectic. Rodgers unfortunate injury could be the best thing that happened for the Packers to force them to make the difficult and necessary changes required to maximize the opportunity that Aaron Rodgers brings to this team for as many years as he continues to play at this level.

15. I wish someone with stones at 1265 would just relieve Mike of his duties, especially with all of the other riff raff heading out the door. We’re getting close to a clean sweep with Thompson and Capers (and several others) gone – why stop at Mike?

16. Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm
    He will be gone. No GM will want to come in and “fit together” with an imbedded head coach

—————-

Typical Vike fan showing off his lack of knowledge of football (and spelling). Any GM would jump at the chance to lead Mike McCarthy, Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the the Green Bay Packers. Overall, Packers front office is doing a great job of quickly and efficiently carrying out the wishes and concerns of many, many owners.

17. I still don’t get why, with a new GM coming, he has say over hiring the D-coordinator. The extension was a weak cover up to remove the lame duck label when the reality is it’s going to be tough to get a d-coordinator to commit with McCarthy’s situation and possibly no GM. Not sure if McCarthy is doing a bunch of CYA firings here or salty that he’s coaching for his job.

18. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:58 pm

_______

Kind of like the Packer fans I knew before they got a taste of success.

19. Dude was outcoached by Coughlin, Harbaugh and Carroll over and over and over again. Even with the best QB in the league…He has to go.

20. He said he loves his coaching job in GB. Who wouldn’t want to coach the team with one of the best QBs ever to play in the NFL? My gut says the moment Rodgers decides to retire, Mike McCarthy (assuming he’s still there) would “coincidentally” decide to retire as well, since he very well knows his success as a coach is tied directly to the presence of Aaron Rodgers. I’d love to see what ANY other coach could do with Rodgers.

21. We’re getting close to a clean sweep with Thompson and Capers (and several others) gone – why stop at Mike?
    _________________________
    Change just for the sake of change isn’t correcting the problem. Rodgers chose not too throw Mccarthy under the bus last season, that’s reason one. Culture plays a role in 8 straight playoff appearances too, no matter how good Aaron Rodgers is. Mccarthy has the respect of the players in the lockerroom. Now I’m sure the press will soon find the malcontent in this organizational upheaval and provoke a sound byte to the contrary. But players respect Mccarthy.

22. bhuettl says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:54 pm
    ARod(in his collarbone) says:

January 4, 2018 at 3:36 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And he is still about a Tony Dungy away from being the size of your HC. Plus he is smarter, and doesn’t look in two different directions at the same time.

23. Rough few weeks in Cheese land
    You miss the playoffs with a couple games to go
    You fire or essentially “move on” from your GM, OC, DC, at least two positional coaches & a top exec (Highsmith)

Your head coach is combative at his press conference
    Packers fans better hope all these changes result in a SB in the next 1-2 years
    If not…whom do you blame then??

24. For one, I think MM might want a GM who can deal with the press and answer some GM related questions once in a while. I think one of the biggest burdens over the years on the coach has been having to be TT’s spokesman.

25. Do a lot of hiring, including leadership positions. Appropriate to have organization input, but never in the final decision. Murphy needs to be true to his word and own this as a real search and a real decision on the best candidate, external or internal.

26. After what we witnessed this year in Green Bay, I’d say the only approval needed is that of Aaron Rodgers. Without Rodgers, who would hire any of these people? McCarthy’s a good guy, but he’s not fooling anybody.

27. His inaccurate assessment of Hundley and his stubbornness to stick with a quarterback that cannot throw accurately is enough to be shown the door, in my opinion.

Bye Mick. We’ll never forget you.

28. It is going to be an interesting offseason for the Packers. I could see them being much more active in free agency, and probably drafting a QB high to be Rodgers’ ultimate successor.

29. I’m not sure the McCarthy – Rogers relationship is all that great. I haven’t seen an honest evaluation of the Packer 2017 season. Is the problem leadership – GM – Head Coach – lack of talent – offensive/defensive scheme? Identify some of these problems and work from there!

30. ninefingers9 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 6:16 pm
    This is so great! This current situation is going to end as good as the Favre debacle!

———————————————————————–

By the Favre debacle, you mean one of the most courageous and insightful moves in general management of an NFL team resulting in an enviable smooth transition from one HOF quarterback to another and two decades of NFC dominance. I totally agree. Delicious.

31. Mike McCarthy: New G.M. and I have to “fit together”

____________

This sounds an awful lot like the story of the two Irish guys- Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald.

It would only be appropriate for Mike to let the new G.M. know exactly what he’s getting himself into. We don’t call them the “Packers” for nothing.

32. The commentary from the usual suspect Big Talkers would lead one to believe they have all the answers. It must be due to the Vikings being such prolific winners. Did the Vikings already win the SuperBowl after (finally) having one relevant season? Did they? Did I somehow miss it?

33. allight59 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 5:23 pm

Look at the mess A. Barr created over in Cheeseland…HAHAHA
    >>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Actually (and ironically) Tony Barr may indirectly influence the Packers
    return to deep playoff runs and another Super Bowl title in the next few years. Thanks Tony….and I never would have said that this past October.

34. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    January 4, 2018 at 4:31 pm
    Liberalsruineverything says:
    January 4, 2018 at 3:35 pm

—————-

so why did they miss the playoffs? he is an idiot that stuck with hundley 100 percent, and he is terrible head coach

35. babygaga19 says:
    January 4, 2018 at 10:46 pm
    The Packers have really wasted the career of Rodgers. He should have so much else to show for his great talents.
    ///////////////////////////////

I wasn’t aware his career had ended. When did that happen?