Is this the year Josh McDaniels moves on?

Getty Images

The Patriots are bracing for defensive coordinator Matt Patricia to leave after the current postseason run ends. As to offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, no one really knows what he plans to do.

That apparently includes McDaniels. Asked by reporters where he sees things headed now that he’s had multiple interviews, McDaniels said, “No idea really. You know, just obviously did what was allowed and then have kind of refocused on moving into this week and getting ready for Tennessee. So I have no other information, and that’s about where it stands right now.”

As explained Saturday night on NBC’s Football Night in America, it’s believed McDaniels is waiting for a spot where he’d have the same kind of power and authority that Patriots coach Bill Belichick currently has in New England. That would seem to rule out most of the current openings.

On Monday’s PFT Live, however, co-host Chris Simms said he’s hearing rumblings about McDaniels possibly becoming the head coach of the Colts. Per a league source, McDaniels is indeed interested in the job. However, with Chris Ballard being the General Manager, that means McDaniels wouldn’t be running the show. And with Jim Irsay being Jim Irsay, well, I’ll just leave it at that.

Then there are the Titans. Yes, the job isn’t open. No, the Titans haven’t said with clarity that Mike Mularkey will be the head coach in 2018. And they may be waiting to parlay a blowout loss to the Patriots into a pretext for making a change despite Mularkey taking the team to the final eight.

If, of course, the Titans think they can get McDaniels.

47 responses to “Is this the year Josh McDaniels moves on?

1. Everyone knowns that McDaniels isn’t taking any job unless he has a solid QB situation and either control of the roster or a GM he knows and likes.

2. McDaniels made some bad personnel moves in Denver, blowing all the draft picks he got for Cutler and Marshall with Demaryious Thomas being the only good player he ended up with, he also traded away a first so that he could draft Alphonso Smith. I would think he’d want to give up those duties and focus on the coaching aspect this time around

3. He already made an attempt at being a head coach…didn’t go so well. Stick to being an offensive coordinator buddy. This is coming from a pats fan too..

4. The Titans seem to be the best fit for him, with a QB in place and a GM who knows him from his New England days. But I’m a little concerned that he is better as a coordinator than a head coach. See: Ken Whisenhunt … I wouldn’t want to repeat history.

But surely he’s better than Mike Mularkey…

5. Can’t see McDaniels taking any of these openings. He’ll stay in NE and follow Belichick. Mainly because it’s a risk to hire him as a HC given how his Denver tenure went.

6. One thing is for certain… if Josh leaves I don’t think BB is planning to leave for a long while. If Josh (and Casserio) stay, then I think there could be some talk of succession behind the scenes post 2018.

7. And with Jim Irsay being Jim Irsay, well, I’ll just leave it at that.

What do you mean a fun loving gregarious owner, Mark Cuban-esque, as opposed to say the owner of my team who hasn’t shown any emotion since Eisenhower was in the White House?

Isray all day every day over most of the other owners out there!

8. terripet says:
    January 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm
    Colts best job out there
    ______________________________________

As long as Irsay owns them, you are WILDLY wrong. Horrible job. No way he takes it.

9. My bet is McDaniels will rather stay with the Patriots than move on to a team that would prove him to be a failure again. What team will give him a deal that Belichick has with the Patriots giving him complete control?

10. terripet says:
    January 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm
    Colts best job out there

————
    Ha! Is Irsay sharing his stash with you fans now?

11. McDaniels may just want to move on from Brady. They had some fireworks on the sideline earlier much like O’Brien few years back and he made an exit the next season. It’s clear the patriots are committed to Brady and will be around a few more years. Brady is good but everyone has their breaking point of having to deal with someone.

12. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    January 8, 2018 at 4:07 pm
    terripet says:
    January 8, 2018 at 3:52 pm

Colts best job out there
    _______________________________________________

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ps: that would be Detroit

———————————————————–
    Unless you can steal a Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith to Arizona… Arizona would be the primo job! Best defense among all of the available. Best RB, and WR1 combo. All thats needed is a QB

13. Nope. He’ll be here until BB retires and then take over as HC. 3 more years. Most likely 3 years with Casserio being elevated to another position, GM/President of football operations. That’s why the Pats refused to allow him to interview elsewhere.

14. Shurmer in my mind is a shoe in for Cardinals job. He’ll bring either Keenum or Bradford with him (probably Keenum) and use the draft to bolster that offensive line. I personally think it’s a three year job to fully turn this franchise around, so could see him let Fitzgerald find a new home via trade – potentially to the Vikings for a mid-range draft pick and perhaps Jarius Wright. David Johnson in Shurmers offence would be fantastic. Adrian Peterson will be gone as I believe they shut him down with that neck injury rather than have him injure it worse – I believe most of the second year of the contract they inherited from the Saints is guaranteed for injury only.

15. I would want to be the guy that has to fill BB’s shoes. There’s little chance of achieving his level of domination over almost a generation. Just ask the guys that followed Lombardi, Brown, or Shula. He’d be well advised to get out now and roll the dice on a HC position now even if it’s less that BB’s total control.

16. Bl00dwerK says:
    January 8, 2018 at 4:22 pm
    McDaniels to Tennessee. Who wouldn’t want to coach Marcus Mariota?

—————————–

Yeah, I mean he’s like a slightly more talented Tim Tebow.

17. The best open jobs are Detroit and NYG. But Detroit didn’t even interview Josh, which tells me all I need to know about why I don’t want McDaniels coaching my team.

18. You do of course realize that the Patriots are still in the postseason? McDaniels – who shouldn’t be making demands for authority from anyone based on his Denver experience – can’t really say anything different. He probably doesn’t know anything different until their season is over. This is non-reporting again.

19. What a dream for McDaniels to potentially coach up “baby Brady” (Marcus Mariota) and play Morpheus (from “The Matrix”): “When I’m through with you (Neo/Marcus), you won’t need to run!” Yo!, Man!, how cool would that be?

20. Think about what a disaster McDaniels was in Denver. He took over a respectable 8-8 team, got off to a promising start…..then singlehandedly threw the team into utter disarray and made the organization a veritable laughingstock. He was a complete disaster as a head coach.

I don’t know of any NFL coach in NFL history who had such horrendous results in his first head coaching gig and later had success with another team?

It could be that it has happened…but if so, I don’t remember it. From what I’ve seen, coaches who were absolutely horrible early in their careers never go on to bigger and better things. They eventually fall back into their old habits and stay lousy forever.

21. “Surely” he’s better than Mularkey? Based on what, his awesome .393 winning percentage in Denver or his incredible power-trip interpersonal skills that went over so well there?

I was not on the McDaniels (or Chip Kelly) bandwagon coming out of 2015 and McDaniels still scares the hell out of me now. Sure, maybe he learned something in Denver, but it terrifies me to be the guinea pig team trying to find that out if that’s true, especially coming off two straight winning seasons and a playoff year. To me, McDaniels still seems like the same guy without an ounce of “emotional intelligence”.

If Mariota doesn’t look more like his 2016 self next year — and ideally, even better — after a hopefully healthy offseason, and if the Titans take a big step back again in the AFCS with the return of Deshaun Watson and possibly Luck, I’ll be ready for them to move on from the stand-up guy who turned around a god-awful team really quickly, and still gets none of the credit for it.

But I’m not there yet.

22. Denver is STILL in utter disarray & a virtual laughingstock….
    Good to see so much improvement since then… lol

23. mantastic54 says:
    January 8, 2018 at 4:00 pm

145 15 Rate This
    ——————————

he absolutely fleeced
    chicago in the cutler deal
    and then parcells
    in the marshall deal. do you know football history?

24. Pats didn’t allow him to interview? Giants spent a day with him and Patricia last week. You cannot deny a coordinator an interview for a HC job.

25. He already made an attempt at being a head coach…didn’t go so well. Stick to being an offensive coordinator buddy. This is coming from a pats fan too..

you mean like BB after Cleveland?

26. Yes the Titans should hire McDaniels… but as an OC. Any coach that gets his head chewed out like he did by Brady will never garner respect by the players and will loose the locker room.