Kevin Byard: Tom Brady’s great, but I want to make him look like Blake Bortles

Getty Images

The Patriots may have a lot more playoff experience than the Titans and they may be hosting Saturday night’s game between the two teams, but the Titans are doing their best to show they aren’t intimidated by the task in front of them this week.

Coach Mike Mularkey referred to the team’s Week 17 game against the Jaguars as a “playoff situation” since the Titans needed a win to advance to the postseason and said the last two weeks have shown the Titans they can “win anywhere against anybody, anytime.” Safety Kevin Byard also referred to the Jaguars and a frequent punchline for Titans players while talking about how he’s not daunted by the history of his opponents.

“It’s a playoff game, so it’s not like it’s the preseason where I can go out there, ‘Oh, it’s Brady,’ and I’m chillin,” Byard said, via the Tennessean. “This is a playoff game. So I don’t really care if it was Joe Montana. You know what I’m saying? I’m trying to go out there and win the game. I want to make him look like Blake Bortles if I can and try to catch a couple picks. Tom Brady is a great quarterback, but it’s a playoff game. I’m not really looking at it like that.”

Byard, who was named a first team All-Pro last week, intercepted Bortles twice in Tennessee’s Week 17 win. Expecting the same against Brady is probably a stretch, but there’s not much value to resigning yourself to a negative outcome ahead of the game

55 responses to “Kevin Byard: Tom Brady’s great, but I want to make him look like Blake Bortles

1. Hmmm, I wonder if there’s one statement I could make to the media that would give Tom Brady motivation to beat me senseless…

2. Breaking New…….Blake isn’t a good QB. We get it. Enough with the Blake bashing already. People act as if this guy is the worst QB in history of NFL. I know we live in a bubble, but I could name 20 worst QB off the top of my head. All the bad QB’s that were on good to great teams never got all this name calling and bullying from the entire NFL world. But hey that’s how the mob mentality works. Gang up and pound on the nerd. What a bunch of sheep.

3. Good luck with that.

Brady doesn’t even know your name, but I can guarantee he has studied more tape of you than you of him.

The only time any Patriot is allowed to say “I’m chillin’” is the few days they get to relax after a Super Bowl win.

4. Its what he has to say. But Brady is Brady, and its not him directly you have to mess up, its all the weapons he has you have to take away to slow that down. Historically its only ever been injury that could thin them enough so that the rest were coverable.

5. what’s with all these no name players taking a shot at Blake Bortles? & who the heck is Kevin Byard anyways?. Just worry about your own team who will get destroyed by the Pats on Saturday.

6. Is Jason from The Good Place the only person willing to give Blake Bortles any love?

7. Don’t know what the biggest blow-out in playoff history is but I look for the Pats to set a new record on Saturday.

8. savethebs says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:10 am
    I’m sure Pats fans are gonna get their feathers ruffled..
    ———————————

No big deal, Tom Brady likes to compete as much as anyone, and probably more than most.

Good luck to the Titans and their fans.

9. I am no Patriots fan, although I love Bellichik. Trying to rattle Brady’s cage with words is not a good idea. Just go out there and do it.

He will be waiting for you.

I am rooting for Jacksonville, but I 100% respect the Patriots machine. My team has had success against them, but the Pats are the best franchise going.

10. nationalmediacansuckit says:
    January 10, 2018 at 7:57 am

***************************************************
    Oh no you can’t.

11. savethebs says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:10 am
    I’m sure Pats fans are gonna get their feathers ruffled, but I love this. Kid can play & is a freaking ball hawk.

—————
    Well so far the first one to get excited seems to be you.

Oh, and Belichick, who has been telling stuff like this to the team all week.

12. So far multiple Titans seem more interested in talking than studying tape of the Pats. Does not bode well for their success this weekend.

13. Why can’t these guys just shut their mouths? You are a professional and we EXPECT you to think that, but if you get shredded on Sat night, then you lack leadership in credibility in your own locker room.

14. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:06 am
    5 asterisks.

9 52 Rate This

—————-

The only asterisks are with Goodell and a decade long cheating escapade with some owners to try to slow down the Pats.

Well documented at this point.

Trolls and losers lost and lost big.

15. I don’t know why people here are so upset. He’s just saying that he’s not scared, which is what any player would say in this scenario. This is not a shot at Tom Brady. This is a shot at Blake Bortles.

If it isn’t Patriots vs Steelers in the AFC Championship, then the next best matchup would be Titans vs Jaguars. There is a lot of trash talking going around.

16. Byard is an ALL-PRO. If you or your Muggs wearing QB doesn’t know him, that is your fault. Guaranteed you’ll know his name on Sunday. Shock the north!

17. Well the boston globe said yall r just bums and dont have a shot at all….byard just says he wants to make brady look bad not that he is bortles

18. I’ll admit, when first seeing the headline I thought Byard was a personal trainer and he was trying to say that he could get Brady to run like Bortles, which I found odd, since why would anyone want their QB to run when they simply throw the ball down the field with such ease.

19. @stucats says:

Who is Kevin Byard? Pro Football Focus ranks Kevin Byard as the #3 ranked safety in the NFL for 2017.

20. “…it’s not like it’s the preseason where I can go out there, ‘Oh, it’s Brady,’ and I’m chillin,” You see, that statement tells you the difference between the Patriots and other teams. If a Patriot, any Patriot, played even a preseason game with the attitude of “it’s preseason, so I’m chillin,” Belichick would have him on the bench. The Patriots apply game intensity to practices and preseason, and it carries over into the regular season and the playoffs. So turn it on for the playoffs if you can do that, Mr. Byard, but you’ll find that Brady and company haven’t been chillin’ like you have.

21. tommyribs says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:53 am

He will be waiting for you.

3 0 Rate This

——————————–

Thanks for the maturity and honesty.

22. Wow is Blake Bortles the token worst QB in the league now lol. I hope this kid is mentally tough because this is just bullying now. One thing is for fans and media people to do it, but when it’s your peers that has to sting a little

23. Byard’s a solid player. Brady will need to move him effectively with his eyes in order to succeed with down field throws.

24. I don’t know why people here are so upset.

++++++++++++++++++++

People here don’t seem so upset.

25. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:06 am

5 asterisks.
    ______________________________

Playoff wins (25)*
    Playoff touchdown passes (63)*
    Playoff 4th quarter comebacks (7)*
    Super Bowl wins (5)*
    Super Bowl MVPs (4)*

*Denotes NFL Record

26. @jr325 says:

===========================================================================================================
    Bullying? Really?

27. Yeah, you had a good year kid…and yes, that should be your goal Saturday, but somehow I don’t think that’s going to be what ends up happening. Just a hunch.

28. The Titans don’t know what there about to walk into. This is going to be a suddenly healthy, angry and super motivated Patriots team. The Patriots are scoring 40+ and when they have a big lead late I expect Byard to be targeted and burned on a touchdown. Brady will get in his face, as he should. We’ve seen this before with some no name from the Steelers years ago.

29. “ikeclanton says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:09 am
    Good luck with that.

Brady doesn’t even know your name,”

He’s a safety and first team all-pro. The first thing QBs do when reading a defense is check the safeties. Once again, he’s a safety and first team all-pro. Brady is watching him specifically on film, he knows his name.

30. My favorite comment in this thread is “who the heck is Kevin Byard?”

I get it. Titans haven’t earned their way out of the “you will usually get one national game a year and it will probably be against Jacksonville on Thursday night where we make you both wear hideously clashing color rush uniforms so out-of market fans immediately turn the channel” media-starved purgatory yet.

If he was a Patriot or a Cowboy or a Giant, no one would be asking that question.

But one of the most lopsided things about this matchup is the experience gap. Bunch of key guys on D are seeing Brady and the Patriots for the first time, a few even less experienced than 2nd-year All-Pro Byard. Bracing for the worst, but hoping these kids can surprise some people.

31. Apart from Steeler and Pats fans are there any neutrals hoping for a Titans and Jaguars AFC Championship game

32. Pretty sure Brady is not going to rush for 80+ yards like Bortles did.

But I think he could if he wanted to. 🙂

#GOAT

33. The only way Brady looks like Bortles is if you take him out of the Patriots system. Since that’s not going to happen this weekend then Brady is going to look like Brady.

34. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    January 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
    logicalvoicesays says:
    January 10, 2018 at 8:06 am

5 asterisks.
    ______________________________

Playoff wins (25)*
    Playoff touchdown passes (63)*
    Playoff 4th quarter comebacks (7)*
    Super Bowl wins (5)*
    Super Bowl MVPs (4)*

*Denotes NFL Record

28 2 Rate This

Damn that was good commentawaitingdeletion