Vikings’ playoff run poses logistical challenges for Super Bowl preparations

Getty Images

No team has ever played a Super Bowl in its home stadium, and no team has even hosted a conference championship game with a chance to play a Super Bowl in its home stadium. So the NFL is accustomed to having plenty of time to prepare the Super Bowl host stadium, without any games being played there.

This year could be different: The Super Bowl will be played at the Vikings’ U.S. Bank Stadium, where the Vikings will play a home playoff game on Sunday and would host the NFC Championship Game a week later if they beat the Saints and the Falcons beat the Eagles. That would mean the stadium would be in use while the NFL is usually in the process of doing things like preparing the extra space needed for the additional press and international broadcasts that come with the Super Bowl, and preparing the security perimeter that is built up around the Super Bowl stadium.

Peter O’Reilly, the league’s senior vice president of events, told Albert Breer of SI.com that the league would ordinarily be doing work on the Super Bowl host stadium more than two weeks ahead of the game but will have to change some of its preparations if U.S. Bank Stadium is hosting the NFC Championship Game.

“The good thing is there is a really detailed contingency plan in place that hasn’t had to be rolled out before, but is in place. We’ve been talking with the Vikings and the host committee throughout the back-half of this regular season on a regular basis on all the different scenarios. It adds another factor for sure, but we feel good about the planning in place,” O’Reilly said.

When the NFL originally chose Minnesota to host Super Bowl LII, the plan was for the NFC team to practice at the University of Minnesota and the AFC team to practice at the Vikings’ facility. But if the Vikings are in the Super Bowl, the NFL is going to let them practice at their own facility and send the AFC team to the University of Minnesota. That’s an advantage for the Vikings that previous Super Bowl teams haven’t had. The Vikings would also presumably have more of their own fans in the stadium than Super Bowl teams ordinarily do, although tickets are allocated differently for the Super Bowl, so it wouldn’t be the equivalent of a Vikings home game.

If nothing else, the prospect of a Vikings appearance at the Super Bowl is the prospect of something unique in NFL history. After 51 Super Bowls, we haven’t had a team play on its home field yet.

56 responses to “Vikings’ playoff run poses logistical challenges for Super Bowl preparations

1. I think we’re missing the bigger picture — the thrill of a Super Bowl in a venue as distinctive and noteworthy as “U.S. Bank Stadium.” Apparently “North American CPA Building” was already taken.

2. thinredline69 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 1:57 pm
    Could there be a rematch of Super Bowl IX? Steelers vs Vikings. If so would be interesting to see fan ratio in the stands.

————–

Neither of those teams will play in this year’s SB. Thanks for playing.

3. edukator4 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 1:56 pm
    there is 2 weeks to get things done. i guess the guys may actually have to put in a full day’s work then.

As someone who has been working is a sports arena for over 20 years I can say with absolute certainty you have no idea of what you speak. Changeover is a massive task and despite union issues it takes a lot of bodies a lot of time to get this done.

4. Please Vikings make the Super Bowl and win it. I’ve had too much of 4 SB losses and since their last Super Bowl appearance 5 losses in NFCCG’s. Darren Nelson dropping the ball, Gary Anderson, 41-0. 12 men in the huddle, Pete Morelli, Blair Walsh. The Vikings are the most balanced team remaining and I feel the most deserving team in the NFL of a SB win. The fans who have stuck with the Vikings through all the aforementioned misery also deserve the win. All the true Vikings fans are confident in them finally winning but also in the back of their minds they can picture, Paul Allen on the call. Forbath with a chip shot to win the Super Bowl and make history. Wide right. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Or even a loss to the Saints and the typical 1 & done. Reverse the curse~

5. The Vikings are really having it good this year. It’s like the football gods are literally handing the Vikings their first Super Bowl win.
    ==================================
    They’ll find a way to mess it up…like they always seem to do

#12meninhuddle

6. I think the Vikings will be in the Super Bowl… It seems like it’s always the team with the most annoying fans. So Patriots vs Vikings it is.

7. I wouldn’t be surprised then if the refs give the Saints a hand (wink wink), so the NFL has more time to prepare for the SB. If we have learned something about the NFL is that they are all about money. Kind of funny to think, though, that two weeks are not enough to appropriately prepare a venue for an event.

8. I actually wish I could cheer for the Vikings to win one this year. I have a lot of friends that are Vikings fans, and it would be a good year to win it (with Rodgers injury giving them a shot).

It’s a shame that the Vikings fans on this site have closed that door. Has there ever been a group of fans that is so arrogant but really knows so little?

The answer is no.

9. I can’t wait for my Packers to have this problem. But I’ll order up some magazine subscriptions just in case.

10. @lemmy

Yeah, I hear ya bud. Same thing for me, I was actually discussing with my fellow event managers the logistical issues that could have popped up had Atlanta hosted a home playoff game WC weekend with the National Championship on Monday. The good news is it’s football to football, and not a field change like Hockey to turf or vice versa. Half of the people here have no idea what a “full days work” even is, so it’s ironic they blast the changeover crew who will probably be pulling 14-16 hour days that whole stretch. Ah, the joys of being a desk jockey and majoring in keyboard warriors.

11. Hey, last year there has never been anyone to win a Super Bowl after being down 28-3…..or an OT in a Super Bowl. Why not us this year at home?

12. Nobody pay attention to the GB fans, their team isn’t even playing anymore. Hell, they haven’t had a meaningful game since what, Thanksgiving? They’re greatest accomplishment this year was needing OT to beat the Browns.

13. whatjusthapped says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:27 pm
    The Vikings should worry more about what happens on Sunday than what will happen 2 weeks before the Superbowl is to be played.

__________________________________________________________________________

It’s not the Vikings that are worried, it’s the NFL

14. ——–minneanderthals says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm

The answer is no.——–

Man I hear you loud and clear! Why do the Vikings fans on this site insist on living in the past and destroying all good will for their team with their hostile and belligerent comments? I don’t get it.

15. whatjusthapped says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:27 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you could read, it’s not the Vikings worrying about anything, it’s the NFL and the SB Committee worrying about it. The Vikes only concern themselves with the task at hand, which is why they are a 13 win team, and could of very easily been a 15 win team.

16. packattack1967 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:03 pm
    with all due respect this years Vikings are not a super bowl team

And the Packers are?? 1 QB down and you can’t even make the playoffs. We’re out our 1st & 2nd QB. We our out our starting RB. Yet, we still win the division and have a chance at the Super Bowl…..at home.

So with all due respect, sit on your couch next to all the rest of the Packers and watch the Vikings make history!! #BringItHome

17. minneanderthals says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm

The answer is no.

——————————

Well good thing “rooting” for something, outside of direct fan interaction at a game, has absolutely zero effect on the outcome. So you go enjoy not rooting for the Vikings.

18. Any stadium that can overcome the issue of birds suicide bombing their windows can overcome any challenge.

19. Wait, why would the vikings get their home practice field?

Do they get to sleep in their own beds too? That’s like 70 fire alarms I have to set off.

20. minneanderthals says:

January 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm

The answer is no.

————–

It’s pretty bad to blanket statement every fan who comes on here. I read tons of stats and info on all teams in the NFL.

Win or lose I think it’s a great season. I like my team regardless if they get a ring or don’t, but I know it would make a lot people’s lives come true in the Minnesota if they do.

To all the negative people out there my responses to your negative remarks.

1. This article is about the NFL worried about meeting deadlines – Not the Vikings overlooking this match.
    2. Npat – you are a very annoying fan who goes out your way to troll other fans articles. Your team is a favorite to win and probably will. Can’t you find better things to do? Does it make you feel better as a human being putting other fan bases down about something you have no affect on? Does the Patriots winning make you a better person?
    3. Case Keenum Vs Brady nobody wants to see that. Ummm…actually a lot of fans in Min and around the country would. There are a lot of Vikings fans that have dreamed about a Superbowl. Even to just make it to one in our lives. Most of us were not born last time they were there. The Fact that it would be the #1 defense vs. the #1 Offense. The First team to play at home. That would be a good Superbowl. Not all fans like seeing the same recycled garbage each year of the same teams going all the time. Last year I cheered for Atlanta. Seeing new kids on the block makes it fun. Sorry that not all fans (like myself) only look at the QB vs QB.
    4. Vikings not a Superbowl team – That may be true. We will see. A #1 defense and #10 ranked offense thou is pretty balanced. Past Vikings teams of recent history did not have this kind balance.

21. minneanderthals says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:25 pm

The answer is no.
    ________

Does anyone else see the irony in this statement? I’m glad Packer fans are never arrogant or say things to demonstrate that they know little about football, like “Aaron Rodgers’ injury allowed the Vikings to finish 13-3 and win the division.”

22. packattack1967 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:03 pm

with all due respect this years Vikings are not a super bowl team
    _________

And I suppose the 10-6 #6 seed Packers were a Super Bowl team in 2010? Pray tell, what makes a Super Bowl team? I always thought great defense, good quarterbacking, and good coaching was enough, but I know so little.

23. Is it too paranoid to think that the NFL might do what they can to make sure the Vikings lose if Atlanta wins on Sunday? Maybe to be safe, they’ll make sure Philadelphia wins so it doesn’t matter what happens on Sunday.

24. That’s all my responses. It’s very annoying to get trolled by many fans when us Minnesota people are just hoping for dreams to come true.
    ——–
    I hear you and feel your pain. Good luck to your team in the playoffs, but if you want the trolling to subside, tell your fellow fans to back off. A quick look at any packer story reveals that at least 60% of the posts are Viking trolls. Turn about is fair play. Ironically those same trolls then come into Viking stories and complain about the packer trolls. It’s like grade school in here.

25. billjones383 says:

January 11, 2018 at 3:29 pm

The refs will insure the NFL has time to get the stadium ready.

———————

lol. Whatever. If the Vikings play a good clean game, what can the reffs do? It’s ridiculous to think that people actually think he NFL rigs games for their own agenda.

The NFL has a contingency plan for a reason. They will have plenty of time to be prepared.

26. pkrlvr says:

January 11, 2018 at 3:34 pm

——–

—————-

Unfortunately all fan bases have bad fans. I think it’s fine to be confident about your team for all fan bases. But I think when you talk about your team and your opponent you have to use actually use logic. I don’t think any Vikings fan should guarantee a victory this weekend against the Saints, but if you look at the logistics the Vikings have a more than fair enough chance to win.

I just hope (And this is the conspiracy theorist side of me) that the NFL doesn’t swade the result because of us winning puts a blip in their schedule. I don’t think it’s true, but I’ve seen the Vikings lose in weird ways.

27. This Viking fan hopes it is a huge problem — cause that means my team will have created it. Who the heck knows though? I’m just trying to nervously enjoy the ride and doing a very poor job of not letting the dumbass Viking and dumber-ass Packer fans ruin it.

28. “which is why they are a 13 win team, and could of very easily been a 15 win team.”

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m pretty sure if every team won a few more games they would also have a better record….I might be wrong on this…

29. Saints fans are like Seahawk fans. They didn’t even know the city had a team until the 2000’s.
    =============================================
    That’s funny because every time they have a ‘best fans’ NFL article its the Packers and Saints as front runners.

#12meninhuddle

30. scoops1 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:17 pm
    “Noone wants to see Case Keenem vs Tom Brady in the superbowl! NOONE!!” -Sports Pope

/////////////////

Well for one I would love to see Keenum vs Brady, so you are wrong……thanks for playing

31. scoops1 says:
    January 11, 2018 at 2:17 pm

Well, you won’t have to worry about it. Because it’s not possible. As there is nobody in the league named Case Keenem.

Thanks for trying though.