Matt Hasselbeck to call Pro Bowl, in possible MNF audition

Getty Images

ESPN’s Monday Night Football crew calls the Pro Bowl, but with Jon Gruden now the coach of the Raiders, Matt Hasselbeck will be the fill-in commentator.

Hasselbeck was announced today as the Pro Bowl broadcaster in the booth with Sean McDonough.

“The process for determining our new Monday Night Football booth is already underway,” ESPN’s Stephanie Druley said in a statement. “We are looking at both internal and external candidates and expect to have a decision made this spring. This is one of the most high-profile and attractive positions in all of sports broadcasting so we want to take our time to ensure we make the best decision.”

That ESPN appointed Hasselbeck for the Pro Bowl gig suggests that he’s a strong candidate to get the job on a permanent basis. The Pro Bowl will be an audition.

49 responses to “Matt Hasselbeck to call Pro Bowl, in possible MNF audition

1. McDonough was bad, Gruden was annoying.But ESPN broadcasting NFL hasn’t been good probably since Nike Patrick and Joe Theismann did it and they had annoying moments.

Unfortunately we can’t find anyone who’s minimal enough the let action largely speak for itself.

ESPN ought to just let it go.

2. With technology where it’s at, can’t they provide an option to turn off broadcasters and just listen to the game through sideline and player mic’s? I don’t care who is in the booth, I listen to games with the sound almost off because they’re annoying and I don’t need them to explain to me what I’m watching. But if I could crank it up and hear what it sounds like to get concussed, now that would be something.

3. In all of broadcasters, this is the best they could figure out? If your going to hire within, go with Dan Labatard & Stugatz, at least it would be funny. It is The Entertainment Sports Network, Pleeeease, entertain us for once!!

4. Hasselbeck is a nice guy…but they want entertaining. They have a straight man, they need the animated color guy and Hasselbeck isn’t it and they know it.

All is on hold till Peyton Manning decides if he wan’t the job. Of course than get ready for all the #metoo people to scream.
    But look for a colorful former player. They have to find a way to replicate the “Tony Romo” type success. Matt is a former player……..don’t know that he checks off the “Colorful” box though.

5. If you bother to watch/listen to the pro bowl take note of the “analysis” provided by Matt Hasselbeck. Some of the things he’s said in his current gig make you think the person speaking is really a look alike double who knows nothing about football.

6. It’s Just more of the same. Hasslebeck is an ESPN Soldier that Toes the company line on every issue. I won’t be watching anyway unless my team is there.

7. reaganyears says:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:50 pm
    Anyone > Gruden
    ———————————————————————-
    This isnt true because you are in the pool of anyone.

8. McDonough needs to switch sports. The guy spends half his time monitoring the players intent during tackles and soapboxing for targeting suspensions non stop. Please do all us football fans a favor and do NBA and MLS games.

9. imadirtyskunk says:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:13 pm

ESPN ought to just let it go.
    – – –

Sorry, man. You lost me at Thiesmann. He’s my least favorite color guy of all-time.

10. The job requires a knowledge and understanding of the game for basic value, and a degree of animation and excitement for the sake of entertainment, with Hasselbeck a failure on both those accounts. Like him or not, Gruden had it. So did John Madden. So who is on the horizon now? Romo is a proven performer but he’s taken. Peyton Manning? Yes, he understands the game like few others, but may be too technical for many, and his nasal twang and regional dialect would bother others. Then there is Jimmy Johnson. I know, I know, the anti-Cowboy sentiment would have many foaming at the mouth, but it would take away nothing from his insight of the game. There are others to be sure, who deserve a thorough look. Unfortunately, I expect the spot will be filled by someone with more authority than common sense.

11. MNF Booth needs a LIVELY and entertaining color commentator
    Greg Gumbel
    James Brown
    Michael Strahan
    Maybe Peyton, if he can liven it up.
    Joe Buck

12. If you’re going to pair someone with McDonough it has to be someone with football I.Q and personality. Otherwise it’s going top sound like banter between 2 funeral directors.

13. sllabskcustfpk says:
    January 12, 2018 at 2:07 pm
    imadirtyskunk says:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:13 pm

ESPN ought to just let it go.
    – – –

———-

Theismann was pompous and never really broke down plays.

Mike Patrick is always good, even if his incredulity shtick may grate on the nerves of some, he is generally well-liked. Paul Maguire was there for comic relief. And he became annoying toward the end (showing how old I am, as I remember the very first SNF broadcast back in ’87).

You say minimal, but I’ve seen younger people talk about Pat Summerall (who mastered such) and they would be skewering him today. People are going to complain regardless of who is in the booth, it seems.

14. They need to let Randy Moss do it. It would be entertaining AND he knows X’s and O’s and can articulate them.

When was the last time we had someone THAT country in the booth? Meredith?

15. knew8411 says:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:01 pm
    I really wish NBC would replace those two that do Sunday Night Football.
    ————-

You literally know nothing. Al Michaels is one of the GOATs and Collinsworth, regardless of those who hate him for whatever reason, is razor sharp when he is diagramming plays. Almost instantaneously.

16. I know people love to bash announcers, but this would truly be a mistake of epic proportions. I like most announcers but I wouldn’t listen to this guy for one minute. I’d rather listen to the game on the radio than listen to this biased, homer try to call a neutral game.

17. Can we get Kevin Harlan and Romo together?

Radio guys are better at calling a game. Heck, until Kraft came along Pats home games were never on locally so it was Gil & Gino. I know, it’s not for everyone.

18. They should touch heads after touchdowns….

The makeup artists have their work cut out for them…perhaps they’ll both just wear sunglasses…

19. I don’t disagree with you. I always liked Patrick as a play-by-play guy. Certyainly more so than McDonough.

Can certainly see your point about Joe T.

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    January 12, 2018 at 3:28 pm
    sllabskcustfpk says:
    January 12, 2018 at 2:07 pm
    imadirtyskunk says:
    January 12, 2018 at 12:13 pm

ESPN ought to just let it go.
    – – –

———-

Theismann was pompous and never really broke down plays.

20. Ewhite1065 says:
    January 12, 2018 at 1:44 pm
    +++
    Per the ratings, most of America isn’t watching unless their team is playing.