Steve Young says he will not work in the Monday Night Football booth

Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Jon Gruden on Monday Night Football, but he says he’s not interested.

Young, who works at ESPN in a studio role, says there have been talks from time to time about him working in the booth. But he says he isn’t interested because it’s too big a time commitment when he has a wife and four children.

I cannot take a job where you disappear for four days a week for five months,” Young said on KNBR, via the San Francisco Chronicle. “If I could do it from my backyard, sure, I’d do it.”

Young does travel for his current ESPN job, but not as much as he would have to if he worked in the booth each Monday night. He says he’s at his travel limit, so if ESPN wants him in the booth, they’re out of luck.

40 responses to “Steve Young says he will not work in the Monday Night Football booth

1. thebeeper says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:05 am

Dude, try working 12 months a year like all of us

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He doesn’t have to do that. He’s earned enough money to be able to choose what he wants to do.

2. iejdaniel says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:24 am

thebeeper says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:05 am

Dude, try working 12 months a year like all of us

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

____________________________________

Additionally, it sounds like his issues are with the increased time away from his family relative to his current job duties, and not the amount of work involved.

3. thebeeper says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:05 am
    Dude, try working 12 months a year like all of us
    *****************************************************
    Jealousy will get you nowhere.

4. .
    Monday night is a great way to go old school and listen to the radio broadcast. It’s a completely different experience than TV.

5. Good, he would be horrible with his scramble-brain, rambling in non-sequitirs style. It works for Bill Walton with college basketball, but not Young with NFL. No way.

Plus he’s not funny like Walton.

6. 6ball says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:56 am
    ———-

Agree, and I used to have to do that when I was in 1st and 2nd grade back in the mid 80s. It was the only way I could keep up with the games when I had to go to bed (by force) because of my parents.

7. Thank heaven, keep him out of the booth. Get rid of Dan Fouts too. Steve Young would make me give up MNF.

8. Wait, who said “his demeanor”? That’s exactly it, you hit the nail on the head. Please no, not him.

9. @wawa33 says: January 12, 2018 at 8:52 am
    Will sanctimonious ESPN create & abide by a broadcaster Rooney Rule?
    =======================================================================
    Shannon Sharpe!! /sarc

10. Um, he’s also got another job as a founder and partner in a multi-billion dollar equity firm, HGGC. And, while still playing in the NFL got a law degree.

11. realityonetwo says:

January 12, 2018 at 9:48 am

Anytime you want to avoid something you’re not really cut out for, or when you get ash-canned but don’t want to admit it, cite “family reasons.”
    —————————————————————————————–

You know, there are actually people in this world who find staying home with the family to be more enjoyable and fulfilling than travelling around and living out of a hotel/suitcase for a job.
    I know I left a job because of the amount of travel they insisted I do.

12. Cowher would be a good fit. Kids are all grown, wife, sadly, passed away. No desire to be a coach again. Great analyst & communicator. One of the biggest names in Football.

13. Thankfully, this buffoon says something worth listening too. Hey Steve, the Monday night viewers don’t want you either.

14. I’m thinking they’ll go with Peyton Manning. MNF will try and make him their “Romo” with his insight and predictions, etc.

15. “Um, he’s also got another job as a founder and partner in a multi-billion dollar equity firm, HGGC. And, while still playing in the NFL got a law degree.

So for all you neanderthals saying he’s making excuses by saying “family reasons” or that he “should try working 12 months like the rest of us,” get a clue.”

———————————————————

He probably has more than enough money and doesn’t need to work another day the rest of his life. Anything he does for work is more because he wants to do it than because he has to make a living.

16. thebeeper says:
    January 12, 2018 at 6:05 am

Dude, try working 12 months a year like all of us
    ______________________________________________________________________

Try winning some super bowls while having a hall of fame career and getting a law degree. And “all of us” that work 12 months a year don’t often do it while leaving our wife and kids behind 4-5 nights a week.

17. I like Steve Young- but generally agree with others that there’s something missing as a commentator. I can’t honestly say what it is, but it’s just not excellent.

I agree about the family part- I hate being away from my wife and kids.

18. @wawa33 says:
    Will sanctimonious ESPN create & abide by a broadcaster Rooney Rule?
    ===========================================================================================
    We all want the best person available for the job. The problem is you think only white folks are the best available. What other reason would you have for bringing up the Rooney Rule? Are you afraid a minority would be the best candidate?

19. Good for us!

Who can stand Steve Young?

50 year old man out there trying to be hip in his skinny pants(puke) while Randy Moss and Charles Woodson are wearing regular straight-cut jeans and slacks like real men. My wife noticed this the other day and I had to laugh.

I wish he actually did run away instead of just talking about running away.

Howard Cosell and Don Meredith are rolling over in their graves. It isn’t what it used to be.