Case Keenum “is the guy” for the Vikings

Getty Images

Yes, quarterback Sam Bradford has returned to the active roster for the Vikings. That doesn’t mean the Vikings are thinking about yanking Case Keenum on Sunday.

“Case is the guy,” said a source with knowledge of the situation, one day before the Vikings host the Saints in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Bradford definitely was the guy in Week One, shredding the Saints for the best game of his career on a Monday night. Two days later, Bradford popped up as a limited participant in practice with a knee injury, and he has played only once since then, in a Week Five game against the Bears where it was instantly obvious that he shouldn’t have been on the field.

So will he be back on the field on Sunday? It’s highly unlikely that it will happen for performance reasons. However, as one source pointed out, the NFL’s ever-expanding concussion policy has made the Vikings more careful about ensuring that they have competent options in the event that Keenum ends up in the locker room for a full-blown concussion evaluation.

The next question is whether the Vikings will put Keenum, Bradford, and Teddy Bridgewater on the active, 46-man roster on Sunday. A league source says that decision will be made on Sunday. If the decision to put Bradford on the 53-man roster was driven by the desire to have extra help available due to a potentially untimely concussion evaluation, it would make sense for tomorrow’s decision to be that all three quarterbacks will dress.

27 responses to “Case Keenum “is the guy” for the Vikings

1. You don’t have three QB’s dressed on game day for several reasons: the 3rd string QB very seldom gets called in to a game, so you’re taking an active roster spot up for a guy who will almost never be called on to play, when it could be used for a player that will actually be useful during a game. There’s a shortage of quality starters in the league, so if you’re down to the 3rd QB you’re probably in big trouble anyhow as the guy isn’t likely to be any good, and generally receives virtually no practice reps.

2. My Pack wasted a draft pick on a terrible QB prospect then wasted three years developing him into a terrible QB. Hopefully we’ve learned something watching how our big brothers to the east have managed their QB situation and build ridiculous depth.

3. The Vikes beat writers have already confirmed Bridgewater is #2 tomorrow, so I’m not sure Bradfords active status has much relevance absent QB injuries of massive proportions.

4. Need to have all 3. Game is too important. If Keenum were to go down, are you really confident that Bradford would definitely finish out the game without getting hurt? I’m not.

5. How many times have they used this same story? Case has been the guy for this season.Sam got hurt and Case took over.

6. theandy59 says:
    January 13, 2018 at 2:26 pm
    You don’t have three QB’s dressed on game day for several reasons: the 3rd string QB very seldom gets called in to a game……..
    ——————
    Not any game day. Playoff game day.
    While it’s rare a third stringer ever gets used, if 2 QBs go down, you are toast.

7. Wouldnt be surprised to see Bradford follow Shurmur to Arizona.
    Keenum isn’t going anywhere. He’s the guy for the Vikings in 2018 and beyond.

I could see Bridgewater going to Green Bay.

8. Would be smart to have all three active, we really have 4 QBs on the roster due to the fear of losing Sloter if we take him off the active roster. Luckily the Vikings are one of few teams to be fine with 4 QBs in the 53. Starters don’t mind playing special teams if needed. Vikings are team first. So Vikings could lose 2 QBs and still win the game. If NO loses one QB, it’s over…

9. arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 13, 2018 at 2:34 pm
    ——————————
    And they were so smart about it that they all become free agents at the same time, so next year they’ll either have a highly overpaid franchise tagged QB or none at all. If only your pack had some other QB option for next year besides hundley , like a hall of fame bound best in the game type guy.

10. arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 13, 2018 at 2:34 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Look at a map. If you are going to impersonate a rival team’s fan you need to remember the direction to where the other team is would be opposite your normal. Minnesota is WEST of Wisconsin 😉

11. You can’t explain common sense to the Barneys.
    It falls on deaf ears like birds fall from the sky around their stadium.
    Even when they’re doing a terrible job impersonating other fan bases.
    skoLOL!!!

12. wafflestomp says:
    January 13, 2018 at 6:05 pm
    You can’t explain common sense to the Barneys.
    It falls on deaf ears like birds fall from the sky around their stadium.
    Even when they’re doing a terrible job impersonating other fan bases.
    skoLOL!!!
    —————————
    Glad you’re paying attention. Hope you watch tomorrow after the Vikings took care of the lightweight division opponents.

13. whatjusthapped says:
    January 13, 2018 at 4:20 pm
    He is the guy until they lose, then’s he’s not the guy anymore. Does this sound familiar? It should, its the Vikings
    ———————-
    At least our QB is playing in January. Whoever it is.
    Gumby’s are toast, unless they have a great QB playing.

14. Every bone in my football savvy body tells me the Vikings will absolutely dominate the Saints. Far too many reasons to list why that is. It just flat out doesn’t calculate any other way.
    Every bone in my football savvy body tells me I’m a died in the wool, purple kool aid drinking homer. What can I say. I’m a Viking. So I’m forcing myself to have no expectations. Too many choke jobs in this franchises’ history. Would not surprise me in the least if Nola rolls em’ up.

On QB’s. Waay too many Qb’s out there next year. Top heavy on the college side and top heavy on the FA side. Jimmy G could be a 30 mil Qb. And that’s not guaranteed it happens in SF.
    Vikes should sign Keenum to a nice team friendly 2 or 3 year deal and tell him he’s our guy. That’s all he wants. Then they sit Bridge and Bradford down and offer them a very nice back up package with the opportunity to win the starting job in training camp. Whoever blinks first…sign him and send the other on his way.
    Then go out and grab my guy Allen out of Wyoming. Perfect fit for this division and the elements. Let him develop for a couple of years behind whoever wins the starting job. Any way I look at it, our franchise QB is not on the current roster. Sad to say. But true.

Last. Shurmer should stay. Some guys are just great coordinators and not head coaches. See Dick LaBeau – He’ll have a ton of success with what he’s put together in Minny. Vikings aren’t going anywhere for a looong time. Finally a franchise that I can root for beyond late September.

Oh. And to some of my misguided Viking brethren. The Packers have been pounding sand up Minny’s collective arses for a long time. Give em their due and show some class.

15. I keep hearing about the ridiculous depth you have at QB, yet all of you want to dress 3 of them for tomorrow’s game.
    Doesn’t sound like a lot of true faith.
    Dressing 3 would be downright dumb.
    Game day active roster spots are too valuable.
    I would expect such a learned fan base to know this, but I digress.

Also, enough whining about Bountygate.
    It’s been 9 years.
    Let it go.
    It was a completely different DC and the Saints we’re duly punished.
    Sheesh! And the Barneys always complain about Packer fans living in the past.

16. Waffle, teams don’t dress three quarterbacks in the playoffs because they don’t have three good quarterbacks. The Vikings do. The Packers don’t even have two. If the first two get hurt, I’d rather put in a starting-caliber third guy then have to play the wildcat the rest of the way in a playoff game.

17. theemployer says:
    January 13, 2018 at 6:50 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I agree they have to sign Keenum as “the guy.” Contracts can be written where if the guy continues to play well, or gets better, he gets seriously paid and gets some security. If he doesn’t, the team can opt out after a couple of years. Much like Kaepernick’s deal was in San Fran, although HE opted out, which was a huge mistake for him in the end.

Where I don’t agree is I think they have to keep Teddy and let Bradford walk. Bradford just can’t stay healthy. It’s a shame. I hate seeing talented young guys get stuck on poor teams, as Bradford was early in his career, and then get labeled a “bust.” He could have been very, very good in better situations and maybe… just maybe… he wouldn’t have gottenet his legs beat clean out from under him, to plague him evermore.

Teddy’s an unknown but he did seem to be ascending before his leg injury and he definitely seems to have the respect of his coaches and his teammates. I don’t know what Teddy’s ceiling is, but I think at worst he becomes a “game manager” type that may not win you a lot of games but he also won’t lose you any games. If he can’t beat out Keenum for the starting gig he’d at the very least be a solid, solid backup.

The last three sentences… indeed.

18. jm91rs says:
    January 13, 2018 at 4:22 pm
    arealisticpackerfan says:
    January 13, 2018 at 2:34 pm
    ——————————
    LOL.
    =====================================================
    You guys are freaking hilarious. So dumb you don’t even know who your own Packer fan imposer trolls are. And jm91rs getting all huffy and puffy about it. You’re killing me lol. You Barneys are just priceless entertainment. A word of advice to arealisticpackerf, maybe you should switch back to your normal vikings fan persona when posting on vikings threads. That way you’ll be less likely to be confused about which direction is which. All the only slightly brighter Heidi Hornblowers think you’re talking about the Lions.