Baker Mayfield: “I will play anywhere that gives me a chance”

Getty Images

After raising some eyebrows with a social media comment indicating he wants the Dolphins to draft him, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield clarified that he will play for anyone.

“Everybody can relax, I will play anywhere that gives me a chance. I’m not picky, I will go anywhere and strive to uplift a franchise and win ball games,” Mayfield wrote on Twitter.

So why did Mayfield write “Get Me to Miami”? He says he was directing it at form Oklahoma receiver Kenny Stills, who is now a Dolphin.

“I commented about playing for Miami because I was talking to a former Sooner in Kenny Stills,” Mayfield said.

But is there a chance Mayfield could be a Dolphin? Despite the presence of Ryan Tannehill, the Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins are open to drafting a quarterback in the first round. So it’s not impossible. Just not something Mayfield can force with social media comments.

52 responses to “Baker Mayfield: “I will play anywhere that gives me a chance”

1. MacGuffin says:
    January 19, 2018 at 6:07 am
    Busty McBusterson

0 2 Rate This

That was truly horrible *shakes head

2. Hope he learns from Manziel. That dude had the keys to a franchise starved for a QB and blew it. No it doesn’t matter where you play. There are hundreds of quarterbacks who’d love to be a starter in the NFL. Those opportunities come open rarely.

3. “Everybody can relax, I will play anywhere that gives me a chance. Anywhere but Buffalo, I’m not picky.”

4. – Browns had Brian Hoyer (only QB with a winning record in CLE since 1999). They drafted Johnny Manziel.
    – Dolphins have Ryan Tannehill…
    (All Baker Mayfield had to say after “get me to Miami” was “so we can wreck this league.”)

5. Browns fans and Baker Mayfield fans are both terrified that he will end up in Cleveland next year.

6. Well, Scot McCloughan said Baker Mayfield is the QB he would draft to lead a franchise.
    I think Scot M has a pretty good track record picking players.
    If Mayfield can retain his brashness while maturing at the same time, some team is going to get a steal.

7. Why the equation of Baker Mayfield to Johnnie Manziel? Are all 6’1″ men Johnnie Manziels? Or is it that Cleveland just hates ballsy QBs who have as much bravado as talent? Or does his last name remind the old school of “the road” that kept Cleveland in terror many years ago? I like Mayfield so much more than the surf-silly QBs who think they have the NFL all in a twitter. The only other QB is Allen, but with all his strong arm and size, his accuracy is more a Manziel trait than Mayfield’s attitude. Mayfield at #1, Malik Fitzgerald at #4

8. Better for him to drop down and go to a better organization. The difference in money is now small and nothing kills a young career like going to mismanaged teams like the Browns or to inept coaches like former coach Fisher.

9. Why the equation of Baker Mayfield to Johnnie Manziel? Are all 6’1″ men Johnnie Manziels?

———

It has nothing to do with his size and everything to do with his attitude both on and off the field. He has shown repeatedly that he doesn’t have the maturity and poise to lead an NFL team and similar red flags surrounded Johnny Manziel before he was drafted.

10. redlikethepig says:
    January 19, 2018 at 5:43 am
    I’m thinking Canada?

Hope so. The Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts have his rights in the CFL!!!

11. mayfieldroadboy says:
    January 19, 2018 at 7:24 am

First off, that isn’t bravado – it is immaturity. And yes, that does equate to Johnny M. Second, while Johnny may have “wrecked the NCAA”, his skills did not translate into the NFL. There is no guarantee that BM’s will either.

It may just not be worth the risk.

12. Looking at the top QB’s ….. Rosen has concussion problems and only a 62% completion with 26TDs and 10 ints’ ………. Darnold is a turnover machine 26TDs 13 ints 12 fumbles 62% completions ….. Josh Allen has the accuracy of Kizer (56%) …… Mayfield has off field issues but not in a Manzeil way with 70% completion rate and we saw all the drops just against UGA, 43TDs with 6 ints ……… I don’t care for him but he’s the best QB in this draft …..

13. I really wonder if the Browns have missed on so many QBs or if the Browns are just QB killers. I would do just about anything to not end up there if I were Baker Mayfield.

14. Teams should be wary of this kid. He’s got some Johnny Manziel in him as far as arrogance and his behavior go.
    He got arrested last February for being drunk and fleeing from police and had to attend alcohol education classes, and we all saw what he did to the Kansas sideline after scoring a TD against them this year. In case you missed it, he grabbed his crotch and kept yelling “F” bombs at them. He was forced to issue an apology for that one. His coach said after the game there was “no excuse” for that kind of behavior.
    Throw in he is an under-sized NFL QB prospect who doesn’t have a strong arm and you have a kid with the first three letters of “bust” written all over him. If I were an NFL GM, I’d pass on him in the first round.

15. He puts in the work and has the right attitude between the lines. But in the NFL (as it should be in college) between the lines is all day, every day. Therein is the issue. Veteran players will chew him up and spit him out. Unless he matures. I hated playing against jerks like him in college. Yeah he’s got a chip as a walk on.

Guess what, I walked on to a top 10 college baseball program (turned down 2nd rate scholarships) and ended up in their HOF. And I wasn’t a jerk. I respected the other players. Even hung out with them in various Florida bars when we crossed paths. Never kept a single trophy, including the HOF, CWS and the one they gave me for being on the Varsity for 4 years. It’s about playing and being respected. Not accolades and hardware. For me, anyway.

Your rep is all you got. You want to be a tool? Go for it. It’s a lonely world, I would imagine. I’m proud my parents raised kids who have class as do my kids.

16. None of these QBs are top 5 picks. Cleveland has picks 33, 35 and 63 in 2nd round…and #65 top of the 3rd. They need starters at most all these picks they have. I’d trade for Alex Smith – instant winner…unless they want to much for him, then look at Eli or Cousins (don’t commit long-term) or Tyrod. Draft QB, don’t rush him. I’d even take #1 and trade back to get more picks now that they have a real front office. Build a dominant D and tough, ball control O (see Jacksonville, Buffalo) and win the right way.

17. PS: He was enabled. Someone believed that this brought out the best in him. If I were his parent, he would be walking to practice and sitting in games. I’d be mortified if my child acted like that. Plenty of pro athletes in my family including a 2 time Olympic medalist, some NFL players, baseball, tennis and golf and you would never know it. I hate people without class.

Poor winners is worse than being a sore loser.

18. I would LOVE him in Miami! I would just hate to see him chosen with the 11th pick that the Fins need for OL, LB or TE. Tannehill is decent, but he has never been pushed with real competition. For Mayfield the ideal team should be like the Dolphins, a roster of talent that underperforms and needs to gel while he sits and learns the NFL for a year. Then if Tannehill fails they can drop him and the large contract without consequence. Unfortunately, he will go to a QB needy team and get thrown to the wolves. Just because he is an athletic, slightly undersized white QB does not make him a “Manziel”. The guy is a winner. Immature, yes.

19. I can clearly remember when Dan Marino was drafted. He was brash – full of bravado, and most assuredly quite self-confident. He irritated many NFL veterans, and some of the fans too! But, he was the real deal, as we all know. No, he never won a superbowl, but that’s not the final measure of a QB’s legacy. Will Mayfield measure up? No one can say. Impossible to predict. But, come on! The comments equating him to Manziel?? Those are absurd in almost all respects.

20. joetoronto says:
    January 19, 2018 at 8:35 am
    Nobody cares about the bush league CFL.

Millions watched the Grey Cup, but somehow, no one cares? Okay then.

21. If I’m a QB in this year’s draft, I want the Cleveland gig. Cleveland has a mountain of draft picks this year and they just brought in two guys that I believe know how to use them. John Dorsey was solid in KC and Elliot Wolf has been programmed to build an NFL roster since birth. They also have some solid players already there and Jebus knows the fan base is solid, if not rabid. Hue Jackson is the unknown fore me but I’m guessing he’ll be on a fairly short leash.

The Browns are coming. It might take a couple of years yet but they’re coming.

22. Seriously what 22 year old, soon to be multi-millionaire, wouldn’t want to live and play in Miami?

Ive been an Eagles fan my whole life, but if I had to choose a team to be drafted by, it would be Miami or LA, and both LA teams have QBs already.

Im sure being rich in Miami is a lot better than being rich in Cleveland, or Buffalo, or any of these other areas that are cold as heck half the year.

23. Basically, every college player is supposed to be an “aw shucks, I’m just grateful to be here” robot. There’s no room for personality in the NFL, anywhere. So what if he’s a proven winner and a talented player? He did one stupid thing, something no college kid ever does, so he’s a bust before he even gets a chance to prove otherwise.

24. illumination666 says:
    January 19, 2018 at 11:27 am

I think it’s safe to assume that most football players are football fans too. Having a favorite team or hometown team isn’t uncommon for anybody.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ironically, while Kaepernick was murdering the Packers for a couple of years, it came to light that Aaron Rodgers grew up a Niners fan and Colin Kaepernick grew up a Packers fan. There was a split-picture going around that showed a young Rodgers in a Montana or Young jersey and a young Kaepernick in a Favre jersey.

25. I’d love to see the Pats grab him in the 2nd/3rd rd (if he’s there) and stash him on the bench behind TB12 for a few years, teaching him how to be a pro while he develops.

Some guys need the time to mature and hopefully he ends up on team that gives him that time.

26. jm91rs says:
    January 19, 2018 at 8:22 am

———————-

Both.

27. Yikes! Buyer beware! What is the old saying it’s best to not say anything and have people think you are a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt, dude just needs to stop talking.

28. I would not be upset if my team picked him.

So he’s outspoken.

He is also a good leader, loved by his teammates, and is a Hell of a QB.

8:1 TD to INT ratio. I don’t care if that is division III. That is Good Quarterbacking that should be taken note of.

I could see a guy like Rosen falling and a guy like Mayfield climbing.

He will be good, just wait and see.