Eagles owner grateful to be underdogs again

Getty Images

Eagles owner Jeff Lurie wasn’t going to wear any rubber dog masks.

But he’s definitely happy that his team is not favored in the Super Bowl.

Via Dave Zangaro of NBC Sports Philadelphia, Lurie exulted in the fact the Patriots are favored by anywhere from 5.5-6 points next week.

Are we underdogs again?” Lurie asked. “Great! Great. Great. Somehow I’m not surprised. I think it’s great. I always try to root for underdogs, so I think if we can — it comes with an understanding that this is a very proud group of players and coaches and you tell them no one thinks you’re going to win, you’re not good enough.

“With all the hard work and success they’ve had, the best record in the NFL and all of that, and you tell them that. It doesn’t register.”

Like many owners, Lurie isn’t one for bold proclamations. So when he spoke last, in September, he said it was “foolhardy” to predict they’d be a playoff team. In between, they won 13 games, realized second-year quarterback Carson Wentz was an MVP-level player, and then lost him to a torn ACL, among a rash of other injuries. So it was easy to admit a degree of surprise.

“It surprised me because of all the injuries,” Lurie said. “I thought going into this season we were going to be a very good football team. How good, that’s hard to judge.

“If you told me before September, ‘No you’re not going to have Jason Peters, you’re not going to have Darren Sproles, you’re not going to have Jordan Hicks, you’re eventually not going to have Carson Wentz, you’re going to lose your best special teams player in [Chris] Maragos — oh, by the way, your field goal kicker, you’re not going to have him either’ — it’s a lot of body blows at that point. If you had said that, I would have told you, ‘No, I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs.’ Right? So the resiliency amongst this group is phenomenal.”

And because of that, he’s fine being the underdog, since the role has suited his team all year.

42 responses to “Eagles owner grateful to be underdogs again

1. The Eagles score 31 on the number 1 defense and shut down Minnesota’s offense while the Patriots barely beat Jacksonville, and the Eagles are underdogs…what am I missing?

2. Underdogs? hah right….scripted maybe. Didn’t the NFL post on their front page the outcome of these games BEFORE they were even played? This league is dead to me now, as are most sports leagues in this country. The only folks that believe any of this are the same who think “pro” wrestling is real

3. How often is the better team installed as the underdog ? Interesting. Certainly proves betting is different than playing the game. Please go position for position and show me where the Pat’s are better. Advantage Eagles.

4. Go Patriots!

I will not be watching this game. I don’t hate the Eagles by any means (I actually really like the team), but the way their fans treated the visiting Vikings fans at the NFC Title game is just wrong. It’s not wonder they have the rep as the trashiest fans. They don’t deserve anything. The team might, but not the fans. Normally I do cheer for the new kids on the block to win, not this time. I’d rather see the devil (Tom Brady) get a 6th ring.

5. Absolutely disgusting owner. I hope his team fails – and I hate the New England cheaters.

6. The Vikings beat the Saints…..what do the fans do? Donate money to a charity that the Saints Punter owns. Eagles win…and they deserved to win…played a great game. What do the fans do? Start fights, run into poles, punch horses..hold signs that curse at a 99 year old Grandma who didn’t do anything wrong (Thank God she didn’t go to Philly), curse and throw beer at the Vikings fans, and Vikings bus.

This will be the first Superbowl I won’t be watching, which is sad because it’s in my state.

My choices are cheering for a bunch of cheaters (Patriots) or cheer for a good team with no class. A team who mocks the other team and shows no sportsmanship…and a fan base with no class. So….go Patriots.

7. greymares says:

January 23, 2018 at 7:53 am

———-

Patriots vs Eagles:

QB – Advantage Patriots
    TE – Advantage Patriots
    WR – Eagles
    RB – Push.
    Offensive Line: Eagles
    Kicker – Push
    Defensive Line – Eagles
    Corner Backs- Advantage Patriots
    Linebackers – Push (Both teams don’t have very good ones)
    Safeties – Eagles
    Coaching – Patriots

I’d say it’s pretty close but NE has the better Coach and QB and that’s why they are favored.

8. Lets just hope that the referees don’t try to help the Eagles like they helped the Jaguars.

Everyone who was watching the game saw the body slam tackle 4 yards in the end zone on White after the Patriots touchdown. Which was then followed by a shot to the head after White stood up. That happened right in front of the referee who didn’t throw a flag.

The referees also handed the Jaguars an undeserved fumble recovery in order to cheat the Patriots. Lewis was laying on the ground with the football pinned against his hip. He was in contact with the Jaguars defender so the play should have been over and no fumble.

All football fans understand that a player doesn’t need both hands or to have the center of the football to be in possession of the football. We all remember when helmet catch (Tyree) pinned the football to his helmet. Football fans all remember when (Baldwin) pinned a football to his leg.

The referees awarded both of them possession. But now when the referees are trying to cheat the Patriots they don’t let Lewis pin the football to his hip and award him with possession of the football. The football never hit the ground and was not in the air so it can’t be a fumble while Lewis has it pinned to his hip.

Other than the automatic flags, which the Jaguars earned a false start, delay of game, an illegal shift, an unnecessary roughness penalty, the Jaguars were only called for 2 penalties requiring referee judgement in the entire game.

Those 2 Jaguar penalties were for tackling one of the Patriots offensive linemen to prevent a QB sack and the other flag was when a Jaguar defensive back put his hands on Cooks to push Cooks out of bounds. Those were easy calls that are called against every team, during every NFL game.

You mean to tell me that the referees couldn’t have found any Jaguar penalties that would require referee judgement in the entire game? The referees called one of those judgement penalties when the Patriots were flagged for holding during a kickoff.

9. Well, Pats don’t have these key pieces:

Malcolm Mitchell, Julian Edelman, Dont’a Hightower, Marcus Cannon, Shea McClellin

All key pieces, two of whom are All Pro level players, regardless of fantasy football dorks’ opinions.

Philly can keep gushing over themselves, but it won’t matter on the field.

10. eaglesfanalways says:
    January 23, 2018 at 7:22 am

5 8 Rate This

—————–

The last 15+ years of the NFL?

11. I have had the fortune or misfortune of attending games at 8 different stadiums and I can attest the fans are the same in all 8. There are liquored up jerks as well as good citizens, and yes Minn I have been to your place and you have drunken fools just like every other place…As long as you have free flowing alcohol you will have idiots period.

12. You folks act like this ish doesn’t happen in at least half the nfl cities and most big cities. It doesn’t represent the vast majority of any team fans. Therefore for all you haters, when the eagles win, i am putting my commemorative ring on my middle finger.

13. ajzinnecker says:
    January 23, 2018 at 9:07 am
    _______________________________________

You forgot your 3rd choice, don’t let the door hit your whiny behind on the way out. Pats fans are more than happy to be banging heads with Philly fans, at least they love the game and some of them even know what they are talking about.

14. qweezyq says: .
    January 23, 2018 at 9:43 am

__________________________________________

You might want to hold off on ordering that ring. By the time the time the Eagles win the arthritis in your old bony fingers will make wearing it problematic.

15. As an Eagles fan, I didn’t want to play Jacksonville if we got there. To be the best you have to beat the best. They have proven it for over a decade and a half . I’m jealous of their success, but it never blinded me to the fact, this organization is the best. If rhe Eagles beat them, they earned it. Let the chips fall.

16. Too bad it’s FIXED for the patsies to win it all again!!! I’m DONE with the NFL & it’s fixing for the patsies. As usual a bad call saved the patsies a loss!!!

17. great credit to the eagles coaches for winning despite key injuries, particularly at QB.

The Patriots have 12 players on IR including their best defensive player and captain, their best special teams player, best defensive lineman, and their two best wideouts. They also had to come from 10 down against the top ranked defense without their only all-pro position player.

now enough kvetching and tee it up. If worse comes to worse and the pats lose, at least I’ll be happy to see Foles get the respect he deserves.

18. elyasm says:

January 23, 2018 at 7:57 am

Tied for the best record, Mr. Lurie.

——-

No. We threw the last game of the season because it didn’t matter. 13-2 with the bottom of the 53 playing against the Cowboys.

19. iamkillerfin says:
    January 23, 2018 at 10:25 am

——————————————————————————————-
    Dimwits were also saying that the NFL was fixing it for the Viking and Patriots to meet in the Superbowl. A team scoring more points than the team that you want to win…now means that the game was “FIXED”. A bad call awarded the Jaguars with a fumble recovery…and some people are still crying because the player wasn’t allowed to run the football back for a touchdown…after the player was down by contact.

20. eaglesfanalways says:
    January 23, 2018 at 7:22 am

———–

The Patriots have more experience playing in the SB, the moment will not be too big for them. The Patriots also have better coaching. Whatever the Eagles throw at them early on, the Patriots will not panic. Belichick will make the necessary adjustments and the Patriots will be right back in the game. That will put pressure on the Eagles and they will start making mistakes. I like what Pederson has done this year but he is going against the best to ever do it in Belichick, at the biggest stage, I’m taking the Patriots.

21. greymares says:
    January 23, 2018 at 7:53 am

———————-

Two major positions: QB and Coach.

I’m an Eagles fan and I love what Doug has done with this team. I think if he continues on the path he’s charted for himself, there’s no denying that he’ll go down as a great coach. But he hasn’t achieved what BB has. As for QB, well…I don’t think anyone thinks Foles is better than Brady. Do you?

Don’t get me wrong…LOTS of other positions find the Eagles better or competitive. But QB and Coach? They’re pretty important, don’t you think?

Just bein’ realistic.

GO BIRDS!!!

22. 700levelvet says:
    January 23, 2018 at 10:21 am

16 0 Rate This

———————-

Refreshing to see a mature, non-trollish opinion.

23. ibillwt says:
    January 23, 2018 at 10:36 am
    __________________________________________

They have 15 on IR, while 3 of them were not previously impactful players they do still count. Realistically Ebner is their 2nd best ST player (behind Slater, ahead of Bolden), Mitchell is arguably their 3rd best WR. Hightower is without question their best defensive player, the D line has been decimated and the loss of Cannon at RT may yet come back to haunt them.

24. eaglesfanalways says:
    January 23, 2018 at 7:22 am
    ——-
    Eagles past 3 games:
    0 against Cowboys
    15 against Falcons
    38 vs Vikings

Pardon me if I think Foles just played the game of his life and isn’t really THAT good. Can he do it again, maybe, who knows.

And you’re missing the obvious, the other QB won the SB last year and is the best QB to ever play the game. I hear his coach is pretty good too.

I’m hoping for a good game as Philly is underrated in my opinion. But a 5pt spread isn’t exactly a slap in the face

25. No one is arguing that the Patriots have an advantage going into this game because they have been there before, have Tom Brady & Bill Belichick…blah, blah, blah. But, move beyond the superficial and consider the match ups…will Brady be able to pick the secondary apart when he spends most of the game on his back? I’ll take the Eagles D-line over the Patriots O-line any day…Brady will spend the day running for his life. Just about the entire right side of the Eagles O-line is going to the Pro Bowl…who on the Patriot’s D-line is going? The Eagles have the #1 defense against the run…let’s make the Patriots one dimension and be able to tee off at the snap. Let’s see the Patriot’s defense defend Ajayi coming out of the back field, and Blount plowing up the middle. The only player on the Pats that scares me is Gronk…don’t think he can win the game by himself.

26. eaglesfanalways says: ’ll take the Eagles D-line over the Patriots O-line

Good point, but don’t forget that, according to Pats fanboys, their team is the best fundamentally coached team in the history of the league. Witness the 1 penalty called against them last wk. They don’t ever hold – in fact, if they do, it is only if they feel pity on their opponent.

27. “Let’s see the Patriot’s defense defend Ajayi coming out of the back field, and Blount plowing up the middle.”

I would say Fournette and Yeldon on the Jags are similar to the Blount / Ajayi combo. The will get yards and cause some problems no doubt. Fournette got stopped after gaining only a yard or 2 on quite a number of runs last weekend however. I think the Eagles offense overall is better than the Jags though. Pats D needs to play a notch or 2 better than they did against the Jags.

28. “Witness the 1 penalty called against them last wk. They don’t ever hold – in fact, if they do, it is only if they feel pity on their opponent.”

Yeah there were no Oline holds called on the Jags last weekend either Mr Rocket Scientist. That includes on the first 2 Jags scoring drives when there were multiple instances of Jags Olinemen tackling Pats rushers from behind, and at least one play a Jags Olineman had a choke hold from behind on a Pats rusher.

SMH

29. “The only folks that believe any of this are the same who think “pro” wrestling is real.”

Get out of here. Next you’ll be claiming there ain’t no Santa Claus. Goof brain.