James Harrison hopes he can prove people wrong with his play in the Super Bowl

Getty Images

The Steelers didn’t think James Harrison had anything left, which is why they barely played him in 2017 before releasing him. The Patriots picked Harrison up and are giving him significant playing time, and Harrison hopes that in Super Bowl LII he proves that he is, indeed, still a good linebacker at age 39.

“Anything people say I can’t do, I want to prove them wrong,” Harrison said.

Harrison was with the Steelers for 14 games in 2017 but didn’t even get on the field for nine of them and played a total of only 38 snaps in the five games he did play. He signed with the Patriots with one game left in the regular season and has already played 89 snaps between Week 17 and the two postseason games.

“I’m doing whatever they ask me to do,” Harrison said. “I’m getting more snaps than I had [in Pittsburgh], and I like that.”

Harrison has looked reinvigorated in New England, and now he’s closing in on earning his third Super Bowl ring.

39 responses to “James Harrison hopes he can prove people wrong with his play in the Super Bowl

1. Don’t worry about it, James. Trippin’ Mike Tomlin and his hapless Steelers have already been “proven wrong” time and time again, in so many ways…

2. …Harrison has looked reinvigorated in New England, and now he’s closing in on earning his third Super Bowl ring…
    ————————————–

He has played well for the Pats in the role he has been given. I had my doubts when the Pats picked him up; I thought he might be released before that week was out. I am glad my doubts, as they so often are in Belichick transactions, were once again proven wrong.

Harrison proves once again that football makes for strange bedfellows. Who would have ever thought that millions of Patriots fans would become James Harrison fans? Heads must be exploding all over Steeler nation.

3. .
    Harrison was just what the doctor ordered. The Patriots front seven is held together by duct tape and baling wire. As it stands, it’s a cast of misfits, late round draft coices and rejects from other squads Harrison, being plug and play, was able to contribute immediately.

4. He’s 39, playing at a high level and doesn’t release a James vs. Time documentary. How refreshing is that?

5. Two years in a row the Steelers have done their best to hand the AFCCG to the Pats. Next year maybe Tomlin will make it 3 times in a row by ticking off the Big Ragu just when the Pats o-line gets banged up. There wonn’t be a 4th – Steelers will implode the year after next anyway.

6. Since Harrison was one of the few to openly defy the helmet to helmet rule, it makes sense that such a lawless, cheap shot player would grace the Patriots roster. Another asterisk is likely in order if they win.

7. Harrison is far from my favorite player. But, just like Brady, he has played his whole career with a chip on his shoulder. The Steelers gave him a new chip. He’s played well so far, has helped to close out the last two games, and I suspect will be leaving it all on the field next Sunday.
    As for ‘father time’…yeah, funny I get it, but Harrision has played what..100 snaps this year? I mean, thanks to the Steelers for keeping him rested and healthy for us, but Harrison does not have the wear and tear of an NFL season on him like Brady does.

8. ““Anything people say I can’t do, I want to prove them wrong,” Harrison said.”

James Harrison can’t play with the Patriots a few more years. There I said it. Prove me wrong. Go Patriots!

9. steelcurtainn says:
    January 26, 2018 at 9:55 am
    But what happens if he loses. You lose and ruin your credibility in the burgh. Ouch, Wouldn’t want to be in his shoes if that happens.
    ———————————
    He has the opportunity to lose which is more than you can say for the Steelers.

10. Didn’t think he had anything left? Yeahhhhhh that’s exactly not what happened. Harrison got outplayed by the rookie Watt, that’s all. Watt was better in coverage which they needed in the nickle and dime D after Timmons left, and Watt’s their future at that position. Steelers only led the league in sacks after all, while they had plenty of issues (such as Tomlin micromanaging the D) pass rush wasn’t one of them.

This is a better story though, so by all means run with it right?

11. streetyson says:
    January 26, 2018 at 8:14 am

16 1 Rate This

———————

What’s even dumber is the Steelers put a due date on Bell’s new deal, which means Bell has the leverage.

They’re so dumb as a franchise, it’s quite funny.

12. Since Harrison was one of the few to openly defy the helmet to helmet rule, it makes sense that such a lawless, cheap shot player would grace the Patriots roster. Another asterisk is likely in order if they win.
    *****************

Seriously, you could have saved a whole lot of typing if you just posted:

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Grateful that the stealers kept him fresh on the bench for their SB run. Turns out Tomlin wasn’t lying when he told him he’d be needed in the playoffs.

14. .
    @clashpoint

” Steelers only led the league in sacks after all,”

———–

A. They got most of them vs the Browns and other crap teams.

B. They were toothless in the playoffs.

C. “Stats are for losers.”…. B. Belichick

15. takeyourpunishmentandquitwhininglikeababy says:

—————————————————————

Am I the only one that sees the irony here?

16. Steelers sacks: 56*

13 of them against the Browns. Dig into their other stats against the dregs of the NFL and you’ll find that this was the biggest fraud team in the league this year.

17. I am sure Harrison will win the game for the Pats by having a 100 yd INT return. Oh wait, that was about 10 yrs ago….. Screen passes to his side of the field & old James will be reaching for air.

18. grant35 says:
    January 26, 2018 at 3:01 pm

———————————————————————-
    I predict 2 sacks, a forced fumble and one last humiliation for the Steelers this season.

19. 6ball says:
    January 26, 2018 at 10:56 am

A. They got most of them vs the Browns and other crap teams.

B. They were toothless in the playoffs.

C. “Stats are for losers.”…. B. Belichick
    ——
    Oh you mean they got more sacks against bad teams teams than good teams? That goes for everyone. Against playoff teams during the regular season they averaged about 2.5 per game, go look it up. The point I made that you avoided answering being Harrison got beat out by a better, younger player, that is their future not their past.

They definitely stank it up defensively against the Jags though that’s for sure, but Harrison wouldn’t have made a difference. He wouldn’t have changed the coaching.

20. walker1191 says:
    January 26, 2018 at 1:38 pm
    Steelers sacks: 56*

————————————————————————————————————
    Sorry – I forgot to mention that they had 7 sacks against the Texans playing out the string with a 4th string QB playing.

21. Shame you can’t take a great older player like Harrison, and stash him away all season so he’s fresh and rested for a playoff run. Oh, if you could somehow keep him in mothballs and still put a chip on his shoulder..THANKS TOMLIN!

22. pastabelly says:
    January 26, 2018 at 12:20 pm

I hope he gets his third ring and leaves. He’s a great temporary fix, but not someone you want around for a full season.
    ———————————————————–
    It’s not likely that he would be here next season. There are only so many roster spots and the Pats have players coming back from injury:

Dont’a Hightower LB
    Shea McClellin LB
    Harvey Langi LB
    Derek Rivers DE

The Patriots could also grab a new LB in the draft if a good one falls. BB could also grab an undrafted player and give him a shot to make the roster.

23. Walker1191 says: Steelers had 7 sacks vs the Texans.

_————————–

Good thing Pat’s don’t play for a week so you can spend all your time researching irrelevant Steelers stats.

24. Even after the Pats win the game I don’t see Harrison back next season, and at 39 soon to be 40 I don’t think he does either.

But – he’s been there and done that, meaning he’ll get important minutes, he’ll go out as a champion, and the Steelers will be getting a ‘thank you’ note from the Pats.

25. wte1 says: