Brady: I hope radio host isn’t fired for comment about my daughter

Getty Images

Before the Patriots took off for Minneapolis on Monday, their quarterback cut short his weekly radio appearance on WEEI.

Tom Brady took issue with WEEI host Alex Reimer making a negative comment about Brady’s daughter during a show last week. Reimer was suspended by the station and WEEI’s parent company Entercom released an apology on Monday that called Reimer’s remark “utterly indefensible and mean‐spirited.”

During his appearance at Super Bowl Opening Night, Brady said that he does not want Reimer to lose his job as a result of the comment.

“I would certainly hope the guy is not fired. I would hate for that to happen,” Brady said. “I just think any player is protective of their kids. I never stayed away from criticism. I understand criticism is part of sports. But I certainly don’t think my children or any other children deserve to be in that. … I think we all have careers and we all make mistakes. I would hate to have someone have to change their life over something like that.”

Entercom’s statement said that Reimer remains suspended indefinitely and that the Patriots and Brady “are in support of our disciplinary response.”

81 responses to “Brady: I hope radio host isn’t fired for comment about my daughter

1. That’s honestly pretty cool of Brady to speak up and say the guy should retain his job

Lot of other people or players would have made a huge issue about the comments.

If you hate Brady or not. He came across totally classy and took the high road. He deserves some credit for that.

2. Yeah, right Brady. You pretty much told the station to fire him. You’re not fooling anyone. Joe Montana would never do that. He’s ten times the QB you’ll ever be.

3. I’m sure the jealous haters will carp but Brady has handled this exactly right. The league is lucky to have him as its most prominent player, as we’ll realize when he is retired. The ‘deflategate’ nonsense looks more foolish and petty as time goes by.

4. This is the exact opposite of what I would say if someone took a shot at my daughter. Brady is just nicer than me though, no shame in that.

5. Anyone who has listened to Tom over the years knows this is in keeping with his graciousness. No surprise that he’d feel that way.

But the rest of us want the greasy childophobe fired. It is ironic that a person who has been a part of group that has protested discrimination and bias for years would himself make discriminatory, childophobic insults against an innocent little girl.

No room for childophobia or childophobes!

6. If you hate Brady that says more about you than it does him.

Handsome, superstar team athlete, leader, gracious, and magnanimous (look that word up dim-witted Pats haters).

Brady Bless.

7. The biggest joke is that Entercom didn’t do anything until Brady made an issue of it. If they truly thought the comments were “utterly indefensible,” why’d they wait?

That said, if the sports media talking heads are going to get suspended every time they say something ridiculous or in poor taste, half the airwaves in Boston would be silent.

8. Admire Tom’s stance about that, but nobody should be making a comment like that directed at a 5 year old. That radio host should be fired.

9. That’s nicer than Tom Brady should be to that loser. The guy should be fired because he’s just going to do that again anyways to someone less forgiving.

10. Real simple: if Brady continues to do his weekly appearance, he won’t be fired. If he doesn’t, he will be. Someone’s got their fingers crossed extra hard tonight.

Pro tip: When trying to be a shock jock, don’t ever be surprised when you’re the one getting the shock.

11. I mean, I completely get it, but you sign up for a reality show and allow the filmmakers to include your kids, what do you think is gonna happen? People are gonna magically become dignified and show restraint?

12. It was two words – maybe not the best idea but everyone should just chill about it. Newsflash: Kids *do* sometimes act like piss ants.

13. After loathing Brady in the early stages of his career, I have really grown to like the guy as a person the last few years. Fierce competitor, and seems to be pretty humble. I guess that’s easy to do with a super-model wife and 5 super-bowl rings, but I digress. Bravo Tom!

14. Well Tom, if he does get fired, it was basically because of your thin skinned nonsense. Your almost as old as me Tom….grow up. Sticks and stones bro.

15. Critize brady all you want, call the patriots cheaters if you want to be a hater, a troll or whatever. But I think we can all agree talking about a little kid that is like 5 or 6 years old is WAY out of bounds. That guy should be super ashamed.

16. I only hope that is his private message to the station as well…

If so, dang it, I wana hate him, but that is classy…

17. Classes comment by some radio schmuck, but classy response by TB. Not a Pats fan due to being a Miami fan. But that statement by TB was top notch!!

18. Honestly, if I was the station I would fire the guy. Not because of Brady personally, but a guy with that little mouth control and judgement is risky to have on the air, especially in a shock jock role. In todays world shock jock work has to be very careful, they have to operate right near all the lines but never cross one. This requires a lot of awareness and judgement to keep it right near the edge without going over. Guys that cant maintain that balance are bound to get their station in trouble. And look, the station got in trouble.

19. Dale and Holley of WEEI blamed WEEI saying the station egged Reimer on to go to the edge. Evidently Dale and Holley has been told they are too boring.

20. It wasn’t just a “Negative comment”, that makes it sound like nothing. He called a 5 year old an “Annoying little pissant”. No one can defend that.

21. As a Dolphins fan I appreciate the way the Patriots avoid talking trash moreso than any other team, even with these off-field disputes. But as a Buffalo native I’m still salty about his comments about my hometown. Go Eagles.

22. What an annoying little Millennial this guy is. Find another career zipperhead. You just cost your BOSTON radio show exclusive interviews with the city’s favorite son.

23. Right, you exposed your entire family to critical opinion. The guy was asked specifically about the first episode and he commented on the scene that you willfully put out to the masses.

24. It was 2 radio hosts, talking sports and Patriots. The audio is completely fine. Children are often little pissants, only in this era is something so harmless taken to be so bad. It’s sports talk show with a demographic focusing on men 25-60 years old. They’re talking to their audience. Gag that this poor guy, does what he does, makes a joke about a kid (I have a kid, i could relate to the commentating) and now he’s suspended. Grow up!

It’s not like he called the President a white supremacist, repeatedly… eh ESPN… But she’s a lefty, it’s accepted.

25. Steeler fan here. Could easily hate brady, but I don’t. Dudes truly a class act, a GOAT and does alot for the community and fans.

26. Why are the coasts littered with so many people that are so easily offended? Children referred to pissants… Not possible, everywhere I go children are so well behaved. PFFT… Surely there’s a statue somewhere that should be taken down for such horrible language. Let’s start a movement… #myearsareoffended

27. mrkbuilders says:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:58 pm
    Does Brady ever say the wrong thing??

Took the high road again…well played!

Of course he says stuff wrong. Don’t you remember this lie. “I’ve never knew the deflator was deflating my footballs”

28. If the host would have mentioned his hair plugs, Tammy Hair Plugs and UGGs would already have gotten him fired. I really wish a reporter would ask Tammy if his hair is fake. We all know the answer, just want to see him blatantly lie yet again

29. I feel like Tom Brady is the only person who hasn’t lost his damn mind. Reimer is an idiot for saying that about Brady’s kid, but all he said was she was annoying. Everyone is acting like he said something violent or pedophilic about her. The outrage doesn’t match the offense. Just way too much anger from people not named Brady or Bundchen. Brady can slap him upside the head if he wants to, he’s the father, that’s his beef. He’s taking the high road, as he should, because some dope just made a dumb comment he probably doesn’t even mean, or at least isn’t genuinely serious about. I understand a lot of people can relate because they have children of their own, but it’s not your fight. People just love to point fingers and throw stones, it soothes their psyches and makes them feel better about themselves and deflect their own shortcomings.

30. thepopefromtv says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:30 pm
    *************************”

Seriously Dude, have you been to the hotels in Buffalo?

31. Bills fan here.
    Just pure class.. we hate the football player here, but we know greatness when we see it. As a person, you couldn’t ask for a better man.

32. The usual suspects vomit the usual negativity towards anything Brady and the Patriots. Reimer deserves a suspension but not the vocational death sentence that is frequently associated with derogatory remarks about women, gays, minorities etc. Evidently Reimer thought his status provide immunity. The larger issue is that absent Minnehan playing the cut over and over was the larger issues. IDK if the station directed this or if it was just Kirk being his usual Kirk the Jerk self. Absent Kirk this probably goes away without notice since Mut at Might is a low rated show but someone wanted to boost the ratings.

More people that Reimer, who is a monumental jerk as well, need a bit of time in the corner.

33. Tom Brady has done that show for 17 years. Always calls in at 6:30AM even after flight back from game or late home game. He is polite and answers oftentimes difficult questions. I recognize that we fans never really know what an athlete is really like I will say this Brady has been in the spotlight here in Boston and he has always been polite and treats people with respect. Frankly it is quite a testament to the way he was raised. A lot of athletes could learn from the way Brady handles himself.

34. Though its a kind gesture for Brady to say he does not want to see the guy lose his job he most certainly had to say that for appearance sake,after all, how would Brady have looked saying,the guy is a moron and I hope he loses his job for his derogatory remark about my dear child.

35. Critize brady all you want, call the patriots cheaters if you want to be a hater, a troll or whatever. But I think we can all agree talking about a little kid that is like 5 or 6 years old is WAY out of bounds. That guy should be super ashamed.

I agree with your comment 100%. I just don’t think he should be fired but a suspension was warranted.

36. Ugh not finished with my comment above. We would all be fired because we have all said that about kids. The difference was this is Brady. I guarantee this guy is called kids pissants before on the air. This would be an afterthought if it was joe the sanitation guys kids.

That being said, Lots of respect for brady to not want someone to lose their job

37. omeimontis says:

January 30, 2018 at 3:45 am

reminds me of Rams QB Jim Everett being called “Chris” by a shock jock.
    —————————-
    It was Jim Rome and I think that whole thing was staged.

38. charliecharger says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:01 pm

—————

Joe wouldn’t show up to his own birthday party without an appearance fee. He’s a complete jerk by all accounts. He even said that the movie Rudy was fake after his time at Notre Dame. Who would do that?

39. sbdt says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:48 pm

______________________________________________________________________

I’m sure someone, somewhere in the world, is also saying something similar – the problem is that the person who said it is on a radio station who pays Tom to be on it to help their radio station, and Tom does not HAVE to be on that. And, it’s just plain wrong to say that about a 5 year old.

40. cadreamer1969 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:21 pm

***************

That doesn’t surprise me one bit. I saw the clip of Reimer, and the other host (Mut, I think) was prodding him to say what he thought of the Tom vs Time first episode and Reimer said he thought the first scene seemed staged and then made the comment about Tom Brady’s daughter. It seemed weird to me to for Reimer to fix on the daughter, since she is barely glimpsed at the very beginning of the episode and you just hear her voice for a few seconds. But when you’re a jerk at heart and you work at a station that encourages its hosts to be jerks, that’s probably the first nasty thing that sprang to his mind.

This is going to be tough for Entercom/WEEI, because they’ve spent the last couple of years (at least) promoting bad behavior in their on-air “talent.” The yell at each other constantly, they ridicule callers, and they make offensive political/social comments as a matter of course. You can do a quick search and find articles all about how disgusting Boston sports radio’s on-air personalities are.

So if you’ve established that your workplace expectation is that a guy be a dirtbag, are you now going to discipline him for doing what you asked for? The answer is yes; not because Reimer is a dirtbag, but because he’s threatening his employer’s business. Brady’s Monday morning call-ins are a really big deal for WEEI and if he decides to quit doing them, Reimer will be toast. I won’t miss him, but then again I wouldn’t miss 90% of WEEI’s current hosts, since they’re nearly all dirtbags of one sort or another.

It’s gracious of Brady to say Reimer shouldn’t be fired, but this is going to come down to what he decides to do about the call-in deal.

41. goodellisaclown says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:28 pm

—————————–

They didn’t. He was indefinitely suspended on Friday, long before Brady called into the K&C morning show on WEEI.

42. itsfootballfolks says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:07 pm

No room for childophobia or childophobes!

———————————————–

A “childophobe” (if the word even existed at all- which it doesn’t) would be someone who feared children, not someone who hated children.
    The word you are looking for is misopaedia (UK) or misopedia (US).

43. WEEI has been a cesspool for decades. I thought what Tom said was well stated, when he was on air Monday and the follow up noted above.

44. “It wasn’t just a “Negative comment”, that makes it sound like nothing. He called a 5 year old an “Annoying little pissant”. No one can defend that.”……Will Ferrell could sell it. He routinely abuses children in movies and somehow makes it humorous. The sports jock just needs to work on his delivery.