Tom Brady cuts off interview over comments about daughter

Getty Images

Tom Brady‘s hand might not be 100 percent, but he’s still able to use it to hang up a phone.

According to Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, Brady cut short his normal weekly interview with WEEI in Boston because of some remarks made about his daughter by one of the station’s host, and said he was evaluating whether to do the show again.

Apparently WEEI host Alex Reimer referred to Brady’s daughter in a derogatory fashion in reference to some scenes from Brady’s “Tom vs. Time” documentary.

The station deleted the audio from its website, but it’s the internet and nothing ever really goes away, and the station might have to wear this one for a bit.

Regardless of market or allegiance, kids of athletes ought to be off-limits, so Brady exercising his parental alternative here is fine.

And keeping things close to the vest is apparently going to be the order of the week for the Patriots quarterback. Asked yesterday about the condition of his right hand, which was injured in practice the week before the AFC Championship Game, Brady told ESPN yesterday he was making progress.

“I’m still working on it,” Brady said. “Again, it was only 11 days ago when I hurt it, but I think we’re in a decent place and hopefully it can get better over the course of the next seven days. Not quite where I want it to be right now, but hopefully by game time it should be.”

He’ll have a chance to expound on those topics tonight, if he chooses to.

82 responses to “Tom Brady cuts off interview over comments about daughter

1. I make no secret that I don’t like the Pats or TB12. I think he is a smug, arrogant individual who has thrived because of Bill Belichick. Put him on any other team and I think he is the 199th pick. But I am siding with him today, without reservation and without hesitation. This is about football, not family. Leave his family out of it. That is WAY out of bounds.

2. “Kids of athletes should be off limits” Really? Shouldn’t ALL kids be off limits to this type of behavior?

3. I respect the author of this article not reprinting what was said about someone’s kid. I’m curious about what was said, but if it’s derogatory about a kid, then not worth repeating.

4. What business has any reporter got commenting on Brady’s daughter? Its no different to the President with his son. Children should be off limits to the press. They write enough rubbish and lies, without bringing children in to the conversation.

5. Some nerve. I get to talk smack about my daughter doing something annoying, but you don’t get to. Reiss should watch out for flying footballs. I’m not talking about at Gillette…I mean EVERYWHERE he goes: supermarket, movie theater, package store, work, gym…

6. Alex Reimer is a 24 year old who spends much of his on air time discussed his gay lifestyle. He wants to be a shock jock. Hopefully EEI will dump him permanently.

7. hewholaughslastlaughsbest says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:21 am
    “Reiss is a Bully.”

holidlove says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:24 am

—————————————————–

Please don’t confuse Mike Reiss (of ESPN), who is an all round good guy with Alex Reimer (of WEEI), who is an annoying POS.

8. Its worth noting this was not said during the interview. So I dont even think the call in happened. He likely didnt call in at all after hearing about this.

9. reddzen says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:11 am

—————————————————————————————————————————-

10. I am not a Tom Brady fan, I agree he is full of himself and nothing without Belichick and cheating. But, good for him his kids are off limits.

11. Do people actually read the article before replying? Mike Reiss is not the one that is being complained about. Reiss is on ESPN not WEEI, the person who made the statement is Alex Reimer and he had been suspended indefinately from WEEI…Sheesh

12. I think Brady is upset about the lack of an official response from WEEI days after the comment was made more than the comment itself. WEEI, especially the 6-10am show, is trying to become more of a sports version of Howard Stern, which is causing more and more listeners to tune away. The fact that the station has not made any official comment makes that clear. As a parent, I would have no problem at all if Tom Brady decided he’s had enough with radio interviews and just walks away from doing them. WEEI should be ashamed of itself with it’s response, especially since Brady just days ago resigned a contract to extend his exclusive interviews on their station here in Boston

13. I can’t understand the morons who are giving thumbs down on these comments. His daughter his five years old! Five! God forbid any of you should have children.

14. walker1191 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:40 am
    reddzen says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:11 am

—————————————————————————————————————————-
    ——
    Don’t you just love how in Patriots topics people love to make opinions and treat them as fact based on events and scenarios that simply did not happen? 🙂

15. exnavysub says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:40 am

— — — — — — — — — —

Reimer made these comments Friday. Brady called in to K&C this morning for his weekly spot, spoke with them very politely for about 3 minutes, and let them know he was aware of the comments and considering not calling into the station anymore

16. glow205 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:41 am
    —-
    Brady is GOAT and the thought of cheating never crossed his mind, all intelligent fans in existence know both are facts. But can you imagine how good he would be if he or the Patriots really did cheat? WOW! They’d win every game 100-0! That would be fun to see!

🙂

17. Agreed, kids are totally off limits. But then, why did Brady use her in his documentary. Put her out there, and someone just might say something.

18. Agreed, kids are totally off limits. But then, why did Brady use her in his documentary. Put her out there, and someone just might say something

19. Kids are off limits whether Brady is the qb and regardless of his or her occupation !! Id cut the interview short too and never go back…there loss…heres a guy trying to give true fans of the team a look into his personal life and a ” Patriots supportot” acts like this……….this is why he acts like he does…………moron , hope he gets fired

20. tim2200 says:

January 29, 2018 at 8:25 am

————————————————————————————–
    Agreed. The whole Minihane/Reimer/Tanguay heel angle has been beat to death. WEEI’s morning show is the radio equivalent of unwatchable (unlistenable?).

21. Boston media is the worst of the worst. If any non_pats fan asks why diehards hates Boston mediaheads, look no further that this right there.

They’re all a disgrace.

I don’t know why BB or Brady engage them in any capacity.

22. I listened to the Reimer comment and it was an obvious, intentional insult directed at the program (Tom vs Time), Brady and his five year old daughter. Reimer should be fired – not suspended! The US Supreme Court protected such insults when it established a different standard of protection for statements about celebrities in the NY Times case which established the basis for “Shock Jock” journalism. Reimer and his ilk are the natural outcome of a culture and legal system that fails to protect all equally. Some hate Brady; some worship him, but I think all need to respect his accomplishments and his family. Gisele would likely have punched Reimer in his arrogant, self important mouth!

23. Tom Brady did call in to the K&C show this morning as he does every Monday morning. Brady was asked one question, started to give an answer and then said he wanted to address what was said last week about his daughter.

Brady was gracious and thoughtful during this phone call.

*********************************************************************************************************************

exnavysub says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:40 am

4 12 Rate This

24. Living in New England, I listen to WEEI’s Kirk & Callahan show daily as it’s broadcast across the 5.5 states that support the Pats.

This show has struggled to find a 3rd wheel since John Dennis left and Kirk took the big chair. They’ve tried out a half dozen, some better than others. Reimer sucks…and has sucked since he started. Many of the callers hate him and it isn’t because he’s gay as Massachusetts may be the single most liberal state in the country.

Brady sounded frustrated and pissed this morning. Had Reimer been on during his weekly call in, I’m guessing Brady may have exploded to some extent. This was bad for the station as his Mon morning 25 min interview continues to make national news for breaking news as Brady is very comfortable talking candidly with them. There are 2 legit stations for sports in New England and they’re neck and neck every quarter. Losing Brady may be a bad hit for them.

The free press this comment generated will subside soon.

25. footballpat says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:49 am
    ====================
    I think the thumbs down are on the comments where the posters can’t miss the opportunity to sling some dirt on Brady while commenting on the despicable action of Reimer from WEEI.

26. Brady’s daughter is a literal child!!! Not a woman in her 20s or 30s, an actual 5 year old. Who rips on a 5 year old?

27. Looked like an adorable little girl that Tom and his wife are so lucky to have. Happy for them and happy to see his reaction to what was clearly out of line.

28. I’m glad Brady did his usual call-in to tell Kirk & Callahan that Reimer’s behavior was unacceptable and that he (Brady) is reconsidering his relationship with WEEI. WEEI should have stepped up last week to kick Reimer out of the building and to make a public apology to Brady’s family and to listeners.

Speaking of listeners, I quit listening to WEEI almost entirely two years ago because Kirk Minihane and Gerry Callahan are a pair of jerks who spend way too much time spouting their political/social views. They are an embarrassment and I always figured Brady only talked to them because of the contractual obligation. I was surprised to hear he re-upped that contract. I hope he backs out now. It would serve WEEI right.

29. So the racist radio morning show on EEI, went after king Tom daughter?….this will not end well for this clown…if he works again it won’t be in New England

30. thebeeper says:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:20 am
    Never EVER bring kids into a conversation….. they are always OFF limits

———

What if he wanted to say something nice about ’em?

31. glow205 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:41 am

————-

Glad everyone can get on the same page on this issue despite their opinions on Brady.

However, I am still perplexed that people think Brady is full of himself. I think because he doesn’t go out of his way to be relatable it hurts him with the general public. He’s authentic which somehow makes him not likeable to some people. Strange.

32. ricko1112 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:02 am
    Minihane and Callahan have rubbed off on Reimer. Now the morning show has 3 d-bags.
    _____________________________________________________
    I used to listen to Dennis and Callahan all the time at work. Now, I can’t listen for 30 seconds. And the only time I even put it on is when I’m in the car, because I can immediately change the station. Reimer is an entitled, millennial pos, that is only on the station because of his sexual preference, not because of any talent.

33. billswillnevermove says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:01 am
    When it comes to comments nothing is off base for cheater nation
    **************************************************************
    Look who it is.

34. glow205 says:
    January 29, 2018 at 8:41 am

——————————
    If you really care about kids then you would also object to them having to listen to a bunch of false allegations of their father cheating. Ask yourself, what would you do if someone said something like that to your kid.

35. terripet says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:01 am
    When it comes to comments nothing is off base for cheater nation

————
    Disagree, even the Colts fans have held back on this one, except for now when you on your own broke the streak.

36. I make no secret that I don’t like the Pats or TB12. I think he is a smug, arrogant individual who has thrived because of Bill Belichick.

It’s nearly common knowledge that Brady is the hardest working, most humble dude in the locker room (and likely ANY locker room, based on his success.) So your first two points are nonsense.

But I’ll go ahead and guess that you absolutely HATE the “participation trophy” culture of the world, too. Right? Of course you do.

37. The morning guys on that station are scum. Plucked from the 1950’s and 60’s, not just in parenting, but everything.

38. realityonetwo says:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:55 am
    thebeeper says:
    January 29, 2018 at 9:20 am
    Never EVER bring kids into a conversation….. they are always OFF limits

———

What if he wanted to say something nice about ’em?
    ————————————

Please use your brain. Sheesh.

39. reddzen says:

January 29, 2018 at 8:11 am

——————–

Agree on the family stuff, but, Belichick is only 18-19 as Pats HC without Brady starting. Brady is important.

40. This kid Reimer believes he is beyond reproach because he is openly gay and cannot be fired. He probably won’t be fired. He has maliciously threatened to ‘out’ a co-worker, to management and listeners, about this co workers alcoholism talks on the air about having sex in gym locker rooms and then just tries to hijack the show and only wants to be the topic.

He has been basically using WEEI to use as an audition (apparently to no avail) for ESPN.

41. Kids are off limits. Its a different world out there now. The President is fair game, and the GOAT is fair game to the lowlifes. In the old days you could just walk up and punch em in their big mouth.

42. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:54 am
    Bad news for the Eagles. You will now get a motivated and ticked off Brady.

—-
    #FakePatriotsFan

43. Why is this behavior surprising? Anyone having followed PFT for any time would see this type of attitude fits in with the comments of the Pats fans on here.

But kids should be off limits.

44. I am a Brady fan but this screams of over reaction imo. I am probably in the minority here but what has the world come to? We are becoming way too sensitive in this day and age. The guy literally called his daughter annoying…while there wasnt much video footage to warrant annoying to me I could see how someone would say a screaming kid is annoying.

45. travelingthurston says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:30 am

****************

Nobody, but nobody, is going to want to hear somebody trash his child. Brady was polite and measured in his response, especially considering WEEI did zip after Reimer’s remark. All Brady did was to tell a business partner that their behavior was making him reconsider doing business with them. Seems reasonable to me and there was certainly no screaming or over-sensitivity on Brady’s part.

46. Sorry people but this is way out of context. Tom Brady CHOSE to put his child in a video he made money for. By doing so he made his kid a public figure just like any child star. And guess what, people have opinions on people in videos. Child actors get judged on a daily basis and Brady of all people should know this. He didn’t insult the kid, he said the first scene was obviously staged and the kid was being an annoying pissant. He was describing the kid’s behavior at the time. Is everyone trying to tell me that they have never thought their kid was acting like an annoying pissant?!?! Moral of the story, if you don’t want your kid to be judged by the public, don’t put them in the spotlight! if you want to blame someone, blame Brady, he is the one who put his kid in the line of fire.

47. LyinRogerMustGo says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:05 am
    patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:54 am
    Bad news for the Eagles. You will now get a motivated and ticked off Brady.

—-
    #FakePatriotsFan

#Projection

48. Chill_Donahue says:
    January 29, 2018 at 10:40 am
    reddzen says:

January 29, 2018 at 8:11 am

——————–

Context is everything. You have to remember that in BB’s last season as the Browns HC Modell announced they were moving the team and then the wheels came off. Just the season before BB had taken the Browns to the playoffs (Cleveland hasn’t had a home playoff game since then) where BB’s Browns the then Parcells coached Patriots. BB’s record ion Cleveland really isn’t indicative of his performance there. Most of the hate Cleveland fans had for Belichick had more to do with his benching of hometown favorite Bernie Kosar.

49. His daughter is not a child actor, and not the center of the piece. This is not like Honey Boo Boo or the Kardashians. It’s just a look at his home life. If they wanted to do something like that and use his daughter as a prop on the radio, they probably should have discussed it with him in advance instead of just dropping it out there.

50. Nofoolnodrool says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:12 am

Yeah, Pats fans are the only ones here making mean spirited comments. Cognitive dissonance you have.

51. walker1191 says: Right. I’m sure in articles about Belichick you tell everyone that he’s not that great a coach and has never won anything without Brady.

Is this a variation of the question: What came first, the chicken or the egg?

52. remizak says:
    January 29, 2018 at 11:55 am

————–

53. You believe a guy should lose his job after calling a child annoying on a video posted on facebook? He called his child annoying, in no way is that considered “trashing” a child. Jesus

_______________________________

Yes,I believe they should fire him. It was broadcast on the radio. What’s more, WEEI waited for Brady to call them out 2 days later before doing anything about it. I hope Brady cuts ties with the so-called “sports radio” station. If someone’s employee verbally attacked my kid,I would be DONE with them. They stink anyway. Every morning I tune in for about 15 seconds and they are NEVER talking about sports.

54. To the clown who claimed that “Brady decided to include his daughter in the documentary” …

The director of the documentary, not Brady, decided what to include & exclude. Brady had no say in the matter.

I’m sure that the director thought that the interaction was “cute” & decided to include the clip.

Few people the definition of a pissant: “a contemptible or insignificant person”.

Anyone, everyone who describes an excited 5 year old child as “an annoying pissant” is, ironically, themselves a contemptible person.