Alex Smith: After 13 seasons, I know I have a lot more left in me

Getty Images

Alex Smith was the first overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, meaning he’s heading into his 14th year in the league. He thinks he has a lot more years left in him.

Smith said on PFT Live that he felt great during his 13th season, and he doesn’t see any reason he should retire any time soon.

“I know it’s not close. I know retirement’s not close. I love what I do too much, I love the challenge of it, I still feel great, my body feels great,” Smith said.

What Smith hasn’t done yet in his 13 NFL seasons is get to a Super Bowl, and he says that’s his singular focus going forward.

“I’m still not content. None of us are until we get that ring, get that trophy. That’s what we’re all in search of,” Smith said.

With plenty of talk that the Chiefs will move on to Patrick Mahomes this offseason, Smith could get traded in the coming weeks or months. He hopes it’s to a team that has a chance to help get him what he’s missing, a Super Bowl ring.

43 responses to “Alex Smith: After 13 seasons, I know I have a lot more left in me

1. The Chiefs will trade Smith and go with Mahomes next year – they’ll subsequently go 4-12 and wonder what happened to their playoff team.

If KC thinks that Smith is the #1 problem to fix on that team, they’re delusional.

2. You can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith only if you have an early 2000s type Ravens defense and that’s it. He’ll win you some regular season games but not playoff games. Everything around him has to be perfect. He doesn’t elevate other players play. I’m ready for Mahomes as a Chiefs fan. I’ve seen the ceiling for Alex and it is a first round loss in the playoffs every year. Don’t even bring up the victory against Houston either.

3. Bruce Payne says:
    January 30, 2018 at 6:38 pm
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

That comment is ridiculously dumb. You realize Nick Foles is the starting QB of one of the teams in this years Super-Bowl right? And the Eagles defense while very good is far, far from the 2000 Ravens D. The Broncos just won a SB with an aged Peyton Manning who couldn’t throw the ball more than 3yds down the field. Alex Smith is more than good enough to win a Super-Bowl, just like Carson Palmer was more than good enough. The key is you need to understand their weaknesses, dont put the game solely on their backs and build a solid COMPLETE team around them, meaning a good offense, defense and special teams. Alex Smith is a very very good but not elite QB, he hovers right around the 10th best QB in the NFL. Plenty good enough to win a Championship with.

4. Sorry, but Alex Smith is a LOT better than Trent Dilfer was. A solid all-around team can EASILY win a SB with Smith at QB….you dont need an all-time great defense. As Chiefs fans, I get that you are upset with the Smith era, but he isnt why you guys havent won a SB. Ive gotten to enjoy two since 07 with ELI….and Eli is not better than Alex Smith.

5. When the weather gets cold at the end of the year it becomes obvious how weak his arm really is – no velocity at all. It probably also doesn’t help that he has Capt. Confusion as his HC either. He’s done a great job maximising his limited natural ability, though.

6. Bruce Payne says:
    January 30, 2018 at 6:38 pm

————–

I’d argue Andy Reid’s lack of halftime adjustments is the main reason Kansas City collapses in the playoffs. Every time it’s the same story. K.C jumps out to an early lead only to see teams like Indy and Tennessee mount comebacks on them. I’ve yet to see Alex Smith play a terrible playoff game. He may not be leading them to heroic victory but he isn’t the reason they lose.

7. Where the hell did the Alex Smith go that walloped the Patriots in the season opening game?

Get that guy to show up every week and you’ll have something.

Denver would be crazy to not hook up with him.

8. There are A LOT worse qb’s out there than Alex Smith. some might say a 2nd year qb from an Air Raid college offense could be one of them. I’ve always had a lot of respect for A Smith considering the clown show he came into in San Fran. People forget he got the 9ers within a muffed punt of super bowl 46 and then had them going hot in 2012 until his concussion lead to Kap.

9. dont put the game solely on their backs and build a solid COMPLETE team around them

Every QB in the league wins with that team.

10. It’s interesting to see all the non Chiefs fans fan comment on how great Alex Smith is and how Mahomes will suck. Go watch the All-22 on Alex from this year and then tell me you know. And from every indication, Mahomes could be a pretty special player. Chiefs fans know it’s time to move on from Alex, and if Reid keeps sucking it up, Andy Reid also.

11. Come to AZ! We know how to treat an aging quarterback who’s a few years away from retirement. They’ll pay you a boat load of money, then just as they’re knocking on the door of a playoff run you can retire!

12. TheWizard says:
    January 30, 2018 at 7:20 pm

Every QB in the league wins with that team.
    ——————————————
    Every QB does win with a solid complete team built around them. If you have both an elite offense/defense then ya, you could get far with a crap QB. Hello, Blake Bortles!! All I am saying is as long as you are not expecting Smith to solely carry the team by himself to the big game, you can with him if you give him a good supporting cast.

13. If the Jacksonville Jaguars get him they will instantly become a heavy super bowl fav.
    They’re already stacked with talent they have adequate staff and…
    AND they have the draft bringing in more new guys.
    Before u say it…
    This team drafts guys that contribute immediately

14. Bruce Payne says:
    January 30, 2018 at 6:38 pm

——————-

You think Justin Peele, Kyle Williams, Donnie Avery, Albert Wilson, Chris Conley, etc would be starting for most other playoff teams? Or were they elevated?

15. hawkkiller says:
    January 30, 2018 at 6:47 pm
    Bruce Payne says:
    January 30, 2018 at 6:38 pm

—————

Sorry but his comment is 100% spot on to anyone who understands the game. Alex Smith had a COMPLETE team in San Francisco. Solid defense, solid run game, great offensive line, solid pass catchers. The team was so complete, they almost won a SB with Kaepernick. Stop with the excuses for Alex Smith. We have seen his limitations. He has a noodle arm and folds under pressure quickly.

16. Alex Smith has a real problem winning games when his team is behind and time is running out. I think the problem is more mental than physical. In a recent game for example, he was facing fourth down and he threw the ball hard and it went through the hands of his receiver. He threw the ball hard probably because he did not want an interception. That is a mental error because it does not matter if the ball is intercepted. It is as silly as throwing the ball out of bounds to prevent an interception in the same situation. He has to make sure his receiver has a chance to make the reception because unless he does, the game is lost.

17. He’s not a top 5 QB and never will be. That doesn’t mean he should be out of a job. He’s a fine QB and I believe you could win a super bowl with him. Put him on Philly for the whole season and there’s a very good chance they’re still in the super bowl.

18. “With plenty of talk that the Chiefs will move on to Patrick Mahomes this offseason, Smith could get traded in the coming weeks or months.”

…………..Or the coming minutes

19. Downvote me all you want. Watch the GIFS from the Pittsburgh playoff game for Smith. It’s not what he does as much as what he doesn’t do. Refusal to throw to open receivers further than three yards from the line of scrimmage and way too conservative. The Chiefs front office and coaching staff saw it too and that’s why they drafted Mahomes. I also love the “yes you can win a championship with him” bs. He hasn’t won one!!! And never will. Bunch of geniuses telling me I’m wrong when there is 13 years of evidence, not too mention I’ve seen every snap of Chiefs football and most of you haven’t. Alex Smith will never be the starter on a Super Bowl team.

20. Im going to guess he goes to Washington. Cousins goes to Denver and Denver wins the division. Redskins win the division. Chiefs lose more gaames than they win and Reid gets fired.

21. Alex Smith has always performed well it seems I’m not quite sure what the letdown was the second half of the season. Was really mind-boggling cuz they look so good the first eight games and then just s*** from there on out as a Raider fan I’m happy he’s leaving and I’ll be really happy if Kirk Cousins does not come to the AFC West

22. nhpats says:
    January 30, 2018 at 7:42 pm
    Alex Smith was not the problem in KC
    ———————————–
    Maybe but as ‘Skins fans are about to find out, he isn’t the solution either. The next time he leads a team for a winning score in the final seconds of a game, will be the first time.

23. Cousins will be playing in Denver.

As long as Reid is calling the plays and managing the clock in the 4th qtr….it doesn’t matter who the QB is in KC.