Diggs: Year away from football helped Bridgewater’s football IQ

Getty Images

Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs, who caught the pass that became the #MinneapolisMiracle, joined the set of PFT Live on Tuesday to discuss Teddy Bridgewater‘s miraculous recovery from a serious knee injury. And Diggs explained that Bridgewater’s extended absence from the game helped him to improve his understanding of the game.

“As a quarterback, I would say that year off gave him like a mental year,” Diggs said. “At the quarterback position . . . you learn as you go. You get better watching. You see things a little differently, rather than being out there making the mistakes. . . . He’s taken that mental step to becoming an elite quarterback. . . . I would say his IQ went up a notch.”

Bridgewater, like Sam Bradford and Case Keenum, are due to become free agents. But there’s reason to believe that the Vikings may give Bridgewater a chance to once again be the guy, if the Vikings believe he knee has fully healed.

The full Diggs interview will be televised on Wednesday’s edition of PFT Live.

34 responses to “Diggs: Year away from football helped Bridgewater’s football IQ

1. Yeah I could tell how much better he is, when he was inserted into the Bengals game late as the backup for 2 series. He went 0 for 3 with a Pick..
    Looks like the ole Minnesota propaganda machine is going into full tilt all ready!
    Anybody want to guess who will be announced as Minnesota’s Once and Future QB is?

2. While a year away watching tape and focusing on the mental aspect of the game. He is coming off an injury that took over a 1.5 years to recover, his arm strength at the NFL level has always been a question. The Viking should sign Keenum to a 3 year deal, and see if he can build upon a solid year.

3. You were fine with Keenum. Fix that O line that was manhandled last week and groom a guy and you may be onto something. Go with Bridgewater and your just going backwards.

4. shaggytoodle says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Sorry but I just don’t agree about Keenum. Minnesota always makes a QB look good, There are two problems with Case, number one he doesn’t have the elite accuracy to place the ball where it will allow a receiver to escape defenders. Also Case gets ruffled easily and he is not very good at coming from behind. The Game winner with the Saints was a fluke due to poor Rookie DB play. I think he is the best Backup in the game, and he can scramble.
    I guess he just isn’t clutch. He is another Fitzgerald. My bet’s he would sink with a long term deal.

5. Anyone who thinks quarterbacks don’t learn while they aren’t playing doesn’t know anything. Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for three years before becoming the starter. During that time, he watched film, listened to coaching, changed his mechanics, and got himself ready to be an NFL quarterback. Every team that drafts a quarterback wants him to sit and learn behind a veteran for a while before throwing him in there. Why do you think that is? It’s very rare for a rookie quarterback to start from the beginning and make a big impact, unless he has supreme physical skills like Cam Newton or Deshaun Watson. As long as you’re not overwhelmed, you can learn faster by playing than by not playing, but you’re still learning on the bench.

6. kingthielenscourt says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:06 pm

__________

He is closer to T. Jackson than A Rodgers. He just isn’t as good as Keenum, neither of those two are nearly as accurate or has as strong of an arm as Bradford, but he just cannot stay healthy for over 1 year at a time.
    I think we should look at free agency and get a GOO QB in the draft.

8. I like Teddy and hope he makes it all the way back…..but Teddy never played at the level Case Keenum played most of the season. Teddy showed promise and us Vikings fans hoped he was going to take that big step to elite last season before he got hurt….but the fact remains he hasn’t shown he’s there yet. And now after the injury, it’s a huuuge question whether he can.

Bottom-line…sign the guy who is already performing at a pro bowl level, not the guy you hope might get there someday.

9. shaggytoodle says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm

_______

Case Keenum has a weaker arm than Teddy Bridgewater but you want them to sign Keenum to a 3-year deal and move on from Bridgewater because of arm strength.

10. The plays that Keenum made last season are why the Vikings went 13-3 . Keenum dodged and ducked and delivered solid passes and without his willingness to take chances they would have lost at least 5 more games . Is Keenum elite ? NO but the Vikings can win with him just because they got trounced in philly is no proof that his whole season was a fluke . The other two QB’s have MAJOR knee issues and are questions marks . I would roll with the healthy over achiever than the talented but always hurt Bradford and the average at best when healthy and who knows after the tragic injury Teddy .

11. tinye67 says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm

_______

If it were that simple, Ryan Fitzpatrick would still be starting for the Jets and Derek Anderson would have solved the Browns’ quarterback problem a long time ago. You have to balance the likelihood of a repeat season against what you have to pay to keep him. I’d rather sign Bridgewater to a reasonable contract and invest more in the offensive line than give $20 million a year to Keenum and hope he can play just well enough to get beat in the playoffs again.

12. In Teddy We Trust says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm

________________

I have seen Keenum make some good strong throws, but I will take your word for it, that the arm strength is equal there are PLENTY of other reasons to sign Keenum.

Keenum has better TIMING than Theodore, Bridgewater will throw when he sees his receiver gaining space allowing defenders to close (Brett Hundley had this issue last year if you need a more recent example) instead of anticipating them to be open. I feel he is a more aware player, and he just lead them to an NFC Title game. The biggest factor is Theodore is coming off an injury that took him 19 months to recover from.

Viking fans should know better than ANYONE that those injuries can derail careers or that players may never be the same look at what happened to Culpepper. The Vikings need stability at the QB position if they want to try to be consistent, since 1995 Culpepper is the ONLY Viking to start 5 straight seasons for them. Thats part of the reason they have trouble making the playoffs for more than 2 seasosn in a row as of late.

13. YOU don’t need arm strength to be a top QB, you need to know the game. Montana, Young, hell even Peyton Manning didn’t have awesome arm strength. Its sexy I know to heave the bean down field and it makes for exciting plays and ESPN highlights. But even harder to stop is a QB that carves you up and eats up chunks of yardage and time off the clock. I’d rather have that the 2 minute scoring drives.

14. I am in the minority who think that Keenum will have a hard time repeating his performance next year. I’ve seen too many quarterbacks have one good year and sign a long extension for big bucks then flop miserably. I also heard reports that Bridgewater is still limping. I don’t like where this leaves us.

15. kingthielenscourt says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:39 pm
    shaggytoodle says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:16 pm
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    ———————————-
    You lost me at “Minnesota always makes a QB look good”. Besides Favre have we had a good qb or one look good since culpepper?

16. While I understand Keenum had a career year, he had thrown for less than 250 yards in 9 of the 15 games he started during the regular season and had 3 or more TDs in 2 games. He was smart with the ball has some good WRs to throw to, If he were to stay healthy I think he could have another 3K 20 TD season.

If the Vikings weren’t going to keep anyone who had a crappy NFC title game they would be starting from scratch next year.

17. Qb’s learning on the bench?? Boy there a lot more Hundleys than Rodgers that have done it. Honestly I have nothing against TB5. I just have never seen ELITE in his play.
    I think we should look at free agency (Manning)?? (Smith), (Cousins)? and get a GOOD developmental QB in the draft.

18. Wonder why Diggs didn’t give any praise to the other QBs? Maybe it’s because of something Teddy and Stefon are, and the other two guys aren’t?

19. shaggytoodle says:
    January 30, 2018 at 5:17 pm
    In Teddy We Trust says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm

_________

I disagree about Keenum being better at anticipating receivers coming open. I saw Teddy do that a lot in 2014, not as much in 2015. Still, he’s extremely accurate and doesn’t have the arm to wait until guys get open so he has to anticipate it. Keenum is probably more willing to throw it to a guy who isn’t open, but he had better receivers than Teddy did.

I don’t disagree with anything else you said. Stability at quarterback is incredibly important, but it only works if you get the right guy in the first place. Keenum and Bridgewater are both big question marks. One thing Keenum does extremely well is move in the pocket to gain more time. Bradford can’t do that. Bridgewater did it pretty well before the injury but who knows if he can do it now? I think I would prefer to save money on the quarterback and build up the offensive line, all else being equal.

20. TBW is a good guy no doubt but he is a career backup. Vikings will make a huge mistake in settling for mediocrity when that position is the one that can hold back a good all around team. Nice guy, move on.

21. Brilliant analysis. How about giving a guy a chance to get his feet wet after two years without playing before you judge him? He threw two passes, not three. They were both a little high and probably too hard and they both hit the receiver in the hands. I’d like to see him play a couple games before I decide if he’s improved or not.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That was the worst reply by any football fan I have ever read!
    WHY?
    He came into the Bengals game as the Number 2 QB, His job was to be ready, he had been practicing for weeks. If you try to excuse poor play by saying he was away,I guess you would let him languish as a starter too. Teddy WAS NOT PREPARED TO PLAY, as a backup QB there is NO excuse for that. He always had up and down games,Elite QB’s don’t have that. One of his best aspects was to scramble, that part of his game is gone, he has one of the weakest arms in the league, remember the Hail Mary from the 50 yard line? It landed at the 2!!!!. Teddy Bridgewater will never be an elite QB, as much as I like him personally, there is no room for personal feelings in Pro Ball.

22. Suppose the Vikings get into a bidding war for Case with Buffalo, Denver, Jets maybe Cleveland, how far do the Vikings up the ante?

23. I still think both Case and Teddy could be back in Minnesota with Sloter if they are both promised a clean slate, open competition for the # 1 spot.

I really don’t see that many needy # 1 QB teams there that would want to make rainbow Case or one good leg Teddy a BIG # 1 QB offer. But you never know.

Also so far as WR preference, Diggs could of been responding to a question about Teddy.

More of Case’s balls did go to Adam T and Rudy because of their wide catch radious. Case needs that.

24. tinye67 says:
    January 30, 2018 at 4:48 pm

_______

Irony alert. Of all the quarterbacks on the Vikings’ roster, the only one who has actually made the Pro Bowl is Bridgewater.

25. I’m sure the time away improved his game, he only plays QB, how important can the on the field stuff be?
    He’s so improved he might even throw 15 TDs next season rather than his customary 14.

26. You guys that HATE Teddy might not want to hear this. The Vikings might have to keep Teddy because there are defensive players that need to be re-signed in the off season. All of them have contracts worth around 12 million. They got only 57 million to spend. that leaves approx 17 million for them to spend. They might have to make some other moves if Keenum is even an option.