Report: Fox paying $550 million a year for Thursdays

Getty Images

Here’s why Thursday Night Football isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

According to John Ourand of Sports Business Daily, the winning bid submitted by Fox for the NFL’s Thursday Night Football package is worth $550 million a year. He also reports that the top Fox broadcast team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman will not call the games.

The previous deal saw NBC and CBS share the package, which paid the league $450 million a year the last two years.

Fox will get 11 Thursday games for their money, and those games will be simulcast on the NFL Network. They’re still working on the digital component of the deal.

The report says that CBS and NBC submitted bids that were smaller than their current deals. That probably made it easy for the NFL, which combats numbers which show declining ratings with numbers like these, that they can fold and put in their wallets.

59 responses to “Report: Fox paying $550 million a year for Thursdays

1. I’m an AFC guy but I feel that Fox does a better job broadcasting their games vs CBS. Unless my team is playing I typically skip the Thursday night game. But if I’m looking for a silver lining it would have to be that I feel does a better job with their broadcast.

2. For Fox…this may be a bad investment. Ratings for Thursday night games have tumbled over the past couple of seasons as fans get over satiated with pro football…and some of the games have become snooze fests. Personally, unless my team is playing on Thursday night, I won’t be watching.

3. logicalvoicesays says:

January 31, 2018 at 9:41 am

____________________________________________________________________________________

It is called business. How many employers coddle employees the way NFL players get coddled. Heck how many jobs give 7 figure signing bonuses before getting a single ounce of production. No more whining for players.

4. Kevin Burkhardt is the best commentator in the league and should call those games. He gets me pumped up for games I wouldn’t normally care about. Al Michaels and Joe Buck meanwhile are……yeah

5. He also reports that the top Fox broadcast team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman will not call the games .
    __________________________________________

THANK YOU FOX SPORTS !!! THANK YOU !!!!

6. So if I start a GoFundMe account that raises more money than that, say $550,000,000.01 to eliminate Thursday night games, can we use that money to get rid of them? 🙂

7. .
    Fox seems to have ESPN in their sights. This deal strengthens their overall sports programming portfolio.

8. logicalvoicesays says: “This is why players should never be loyal to an NFL Team during contract negotations. They are just pieces of meat to the owners and don’t care about them at all.”
    ————————-

I don’t see the players complaining about their cut of the deal under the CBA – about $265 million or an extra $156,000 PER player. That’s right – they get an extra $156K just to play one game on Thursday.

9. For once, I agree with Richard Sherman on something…

Thursday night football is awful. Especially for teams playing a 4:30ET game on Sunday. Its not sufficient prep time. Should have left it for the preseason, and never implemented it in the regular season.

10. Fox may want to inform Fox about this development, since they were all in regarding the anthem controversy.

11. factschecker says:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:44 am

—-

I could not agree more. I think CBS broadcasts are pretty bad, thanks for pointing that out in a public format.

I also skip the Thursday night games, partially because they are boring, part because I don’t agree with the short time off and the increased injuries. Part because I think the color rush uniform idea is terrible. My team doesn’t play on Thursdays so I don’t have that to reel me in!

12. Now will nfl and nflpa do the right thing and work out the details related to all Thursday participants coming off of (new definition of) bye weeks? No team should be playing who played the previous Sunday–EOS.

13. Too much over-saturation. No one wants to watch football on Thursday nights. Sunday and Monday night football are more than enough. The games are terrible because players haven’t had enough recovery time from their previous Sunday games. The NFL should have a rule that anyone forced to play on Thursday night gets a bye the week before

14. whywerule says: “So if I start a GoFundMe account that raises more money than that, say $550,000,000.01 to eliminate Thursday night games, can we use that money to get rid of them?”
    ————————

Or better yet, save your money and go read a book, change the channel or spend time with your family/friends. Some of us enjoy TNF and no one is forcing you to watch.

15. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:41 am
    _________
    Pay me $15mil a year.
    I wouldn’t give a damn if you cared about me or not.

16. SBLIIChampionEagles says: “Its not sufficient prep time. Should have left it for the preseason, and never implemented it in the regular season.”
    ——————

Yet Belichick and the Patriots seem to handle TNF just fine (record is 6-1, only loss in OT). Both teams face the same obstacles, so the only goal is to be better prepped than the other team.

And I have never heard Dallas or Detroit players complain about their Thanksgiving game EVERY year for the last 50 years. Why is that?

17. So Fox is paying 100 M more than the last contract bidders, and with declining ratings to boot ? What are they seeing the rest of us are missing ? I do not see any indications that show a resurgence in ratings.The NFL is in trouble from many different angles with a host of problems that make the product close to unwatchable…ie flags thrown after every other play, No one knows what a catch is, commercials, commercials and more commercials, anthem protests, players are not allowed to play defense, no padded practices so injuries are at an all time high,CTE concerns that will diminish influx of new players,player contracts are grossly over payed and few people can afford to attend a game etc…this thing will implode at some point..to bad , as I have been a fan for 60 years and have seen the whole negative progression.This is NOT your Father or Grandfathers game.

18. Outlaw53james says:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:49 am

___________________

I’d be shocked if it was. LIVE NFL programming is still king and as ratings going down at a higher rate on non-live programming this will become an even better deal. It should help with their other shows as more people are exposed to commercials for FOX shows.

19. Too bad the NFL is allegedly dying though, lol. Just think, this is what they’re getting for their package for terrible games that no one watches, so imagine the real contracts that are coming up soon.

Some of you still want to bet that they won’t take whatever they want in negotiations with TV deals in 2020?

The quality suffers at times, but it’s still the best programming on TV by a country mile.

20. I wonder if they’ll have a new special “Fox Thursday Night Football” dance for the robot to do. These are the things that matter.

21. joshgordonsbong says: “lol at these people on here saying the Thursday night games suck…talk about living in the past, last year some of the best games of the season were on Thursday…”
    ——————

Clearly they didn’t watch the Rams/49ers TNF match. Probably one of the best games in 2017, and I don’t even care about either team.

22. If not for DFS, I would be down to only watching the Steelers games, and maybe a few of the more compelling games. Across the board, for me, most NFL games are not worth watching. Rule changes, advertisements, too many non-competitive games etc., have left me with an overall “who cares” feeling about the NFL.

23. I hate TNF. Can’t stay up that late, to get up early in the morning. Plus, it really screws up my fantasy leagues scheduling. Let’s see what my rating is for that. lol

24. Thursday night football needs to be coordinated with the bye weeks. (Yeah, I know. It cuts Thursday profits from the first and last few weeks of the season)

25. I have to question the intelligence of the Fox people who thought it would be a good idea to bid $100m more than the network that just finished their contract with the NFL – who, you know, saw a decline in ratings and hear every week that fans and players both hate TNF.

I love watching football and TNF doesn’t bother me at all – i’m just surprised that they outbid the other networks by $100m, i’m curious to see what their financial projections would look like versus CBS or NBC.

26. 700levelvet says:
    January 31, 2018 at 10:29 am
    50 million a game. Yeah, the league sure is in decline.

your math doesn’t add up. 44 games at 50 mil is not 500 mil. more like 2B

27. Thanks, RG III.

logicalvoicesays says:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:41 am

28. 11 games $550,000,000 ????

Has Goodell realised yet that 17 ‘Tuesday Night Football’ and 17 ‘Wednesday Night Football’ games could raise him another $1.5 billion ?

29. That is an interesting number but I have a feeling that buried in the details is an advertising rev share of some sort which will lower the number for Fox. Announcing it like this makes the NFL Look good and doesn’t hurt Fox at all. I just find it hard to believe they would overpay buy this much when it wasn’t necessary.

30. So NBC and CBS, noticing the problems with the NFL/cord cutting/apathy of fans and offered less money then previously.

The NFL lucks into Fox being stupid enough to bid higher then the previous contracts.

If Fox wasn’t stupid, the NFL would of learned a valuable lesson ahead of the big CBA/TV rights deals in a few years.

Fox decided to take a losing position and bet by paying highest dollar it will rebound. Good luck with that.

Meanwhile the NFL can pretend for a little while longer that NFL isn’t in big trouble with lower advertiser revenues for those paying the big bucks for the tv rights.

Which also means that there will likely be a bigger gap between reality and what the NFL and NFLPA will want in future tv rights and CBA negotiations.

Not to mention the cap will be at a higher level it would of been otherwise with this deal, making any potential shrinkage in the cap, more extreme.

31. It shows networks guzzle down immense ad revenue (obviously a lot more than $550 million) whether or not fans gives half a hoot about the watered down games they’re showing. Whatever people say about the ratings, it doesn’t measure out with the networks’ valuation of the game.

32. logicalvoicesays says:
    January 31, 2018 at 9:41 am
    – – –

48% of that $550M goes to the players. I think the players are quite happy with that.