Doug Pederson: Sloppy Wednesday practice was a teachable moment

Getty Images

The Eagles inserted an extended break into Wednesday’s practice so that players could get accustomed to the extra time they’ll have to wait around during halftime in Sunday’s Super Bowl.

Justin Timberlake’s musical extravaganza will be taking the place of football while the Eagles make their adjustments and one adjustment that head coach Doug Pederson wants to see before Sunday is less sloppiness from the team. Pederson said on Wednesday, via the pool report, that that the second half of practice was “a little sloppy” and shared a bit more at his Thursday press conference.

“Number one, it’s been a couple days since we’ve been on the practice field, so it’s typical you’re going to have not quite as crisp of a practice,” Pederson said. “For me, it was just going around and talking to the leadership of the guys. It wasn’t to get the team together, get the coaches together and then start browbeating everybody. We’re so late in the season now that we understand how to practice. Just making sure that we understand the importance of one. That’s why I did the break, was to put us in that that situation, now we understand it. It was a very teachable moment for our guys, our coach and how to prepare for the second half of a football game.”

Quarterback Nick Foles said he thinks simulating the break “will really pay off” on Sunday and we certainly learned last year that it’s essential to remain sharp for all 60 minutes if you’re going to beat the Patriots.

31 responses to “Doug Pederson: Sloppy Wednesday practice was a teachable moment

1. Mmmhmm. I’m sure that taking a nice little break at practice is a lot like coming in after one hard fought half of the biggest game of your life having just given up a field goal knowing that the Patriots are going to have the ball back in the second half. Good simulation.

2. “…we certainly learned last year that it’s essential to remain sharp for all 60 minutes if you’re going to beat the Patriots.”

If it took until last year for anyone to learn that, they are a very slow learner.
    Knowing it and doing it however…

3. I really didn’t think Pederson was going to be a good coach. Boy was I wrong. Just goes to show you that you really have to give people a chance before judging them.

4. Those Patriots paid refs will stoop at nothing to help them including invade other teams practices! WAAAAAAH! 😥

5. I actually like the coach and players the Eagles have. Unfortunately, after seeing many many videos of how Eagles fans conducted themselves in the playoffs toward visiting fans, I can’t root for them. I CANNOT stand the Pats but I would rather see them win than tolerate the thought of that obnoxious fan base in Philly celebrate a SB victory. At least Pats fans act like they have been there before, because they have.

6. I’m confused,

Are the Pats going to win because they paid the refs or will Philly win because they’re the better team? How can Philly possibly win if the refs are prepaid? Does NE get their money back if they don’t win?

Clearly I cannot choose the glass in front of me…..

7. Didn’t realize PFT had so many superbowl veterans in the comment section who know exactly how to prepare for the biggest game of the year.

8. elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    February 1, 2018 at 1:19 pm
    Doug Pederson ain’t no punk he’s got this !
    ——————————-
    Er, FYI, the Pats were simulating the extended half-time SB break many years ago.

9. simulating the break?? wow, that’s ground breaking stuff right there. i dont think a team has ever done. hahaha

10. seabrawk12 says:
    February 1, 2018 at 1:42 pm
    ————————————————————————
    Dude, seriously, there’s literally like a couple of videos, that’s it, and, while I’m sure there was a couple of idiot fans that caused trouble, I guarantee you it’s been blown WAY out of proportion!! Let’s put it another way. Is it possible that Vikings fans, ticked off because they got their rearends handed to them when they, THEY, were the ones talking all kinds of tough talk towards Eagles fans the week leading up to the game, are now crying foul because Eagles fans gave it right back to them at the game and they didn’t like it?
    Or, how about this…Did you hear even one Falcons fan go on TV crying like a little whiners after they lost the week before? NO,because they didn’t. I was at the game, the Vikings fans got an earful for sure but because the Vikings fans played crybabies afterwards, suddenly every Vikings fan that went in to Philly BARELY made it out with their life…DRAMA QUEEN much?

11. Lemmy Aksyadis says:
    February 1, 2018 at 1:47 pm
    I’m confused,

Clearly I cannot choose the glass in front of me…..
    ———–

But you must have known that I was not a great fool …

Eagles will have to contend with both the refs and the Pats. Again, may as well just spot the Pats 8 going into this.

Let the land war in Asia commence.

12. redlikethepig says:
    February 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Certain phrases need to be dropped from the language. ‘Teachable moment’ is one of them.

————————————-

Agreed, along with “got woke.”

13. As a veteran of many Super Bowls, my preparations start days in advance when the deliveries of pizza and booze are confirmed and entered in the appropriate spreadsheets. I also always remember to call the local constabulary near my summer home to remind them to keep a look out for Roger Goodell in case he tries to vandalize something.

14. Eagles already laying the groundwork for the myriad of excuses to come once they lose.

Or, do they think they can out-jedi BB with throwing this mis-information out there? I’m sure their practice was fine, god i can’t wait for the game to start.

15. grumpysal says:

February 1, 2018 at 3:19 pm

_____________________________________________________________________

Or maybe you’re just blowing things way out of proportion?

16. I think what is bothering a lot of Patriots fans is that the Eagles aren’t giving them anything to use “bulletin board” material” unlike most of the teams they have played in SB before. the Eagles are just quietly going about their business, practicing, saying the right things, and focusing on all aspects of the games much like the Pats have done for a about a decade and a half. They’re practicing the half time thing because they learned that from the Pats, they even said that they would copy as much as they could from smart SB winning teams. They have stated that some of their players have the flu not as an excuse, but to let all players know not to try and be a hero if they have signs of the flu that several other players have had. They figure if they make it public none of the players on the team will ignore going to the doctor and getting fluids for the game. i think it’s beginning to bother Pats fans that the Eagles are copying as much as they can behavior-wise from the Pats this week. However, this isn’t going to change things. The best team will win anyway, its just this year Bill doesn’t have some dumb quote or outlandish prediction to use as motivation against the other team in the SB. This Eagles team just believes that they have a really good team and that if they play with confidence and stick to their game, they have a solid shot in this game. I guess we will see. Go Birds!

17. Really? You judge a whole population by a few videos of a bunch of idiots? Is that the same way you judge different races because every group has a few bad apples.

———————————————
    seabrawk12 says:

February 1, 2018 at 1:42 pm

18. They decided to put this in just prior to the Super Bowl after hearing that it’s something the Patriots do routinely. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

19. If by chance the eagles don’t win this, they can always take comfort in their other Lombardi trophies.

20. Why would he announce that to the world? Same goes for announcing the illness going around the locker room.

21. I just hope it’s a fair game. Even NE fans can’t deny the refs always have their backs, but they should just let them play and see who the honest winner is.

22. Get ready for the best “teachable moment” ever. Losing the super bowl is the greatest “teachable moment”. Seattle and Atlanta have not yet recovered from their very public “teachable moment”.