Le’Veon Bell: Certain guys weren’t ready to play against Jaguars

Getty Images

The Steelers have been done playing football for a few weeks now, but they aren’t done revisiting reasons for their ouster in a divisional round loss to the Jaguars.

Running back Le'Veon Bell was a guest on CBS Sports Radio this week and shared some of his thoughts about why the team wound up on the wrong side of a 45-42 final score. Bell said he “had a sense” that the Jaguars had more energy than the Steelers, who fell behind 21-0 before trying to make a game of it in the second half.

“I did [have energy], but you can’t control everybody,” Bell said. “I did. I wanted that game badly. Certain guys out there was not ready to play football. I mean, don’t get me wrong, guys woke up in the second half, but it’s kind of too late.”

Bell’s comments play into the idea that the Steelers were looking past the Jaguars, something that Bell appeared to be doing before the game with both tweets and actions. The running back said he felt some players may have been “complacent” after earning a bye in the first round, but added that he doesn’t think head coach Mike Tomlin is to blame because players should be able to get themselves ready to go.

72 responses to “Le’Veon Bell: Certain guys weren’t ready to play against Jaguars

1. Honestly, if guys were not mentally and or physicall ready to play football I cant help but to blame the team’s coach for that. Maybe not wholly but still mostly. My reasoning is simple, making sure that doesnt happen is a big part of the job description.

Others I would blame would be the players of course, they are (supposedly) pros and should know better. And I would blame the GM if (‘if’ because I dont know this) the coach was telling him that a player’s discipline and/or attitude was bad for the team and the GM did not address that. If Tomlin was doing that behind the scenes and not getting heard that is where I would cut him some slack.

2. “Bell’s comments play into the idea that the Steelers were looking past the Jaguars”

NE Patriots. Forever and ever in the Steelers heads. Just the Pat’s existing is psychological warfare against the black and gold. They’re messing with them even when they aren’t playing them.

3. LeVeon Bell is great at pointing fingers, isn’t he? What a team guy he is!! The only sure thing is down the road he will be gone. The Steelers history is they don’t put up with jerks, no matter how much talent they have.

4. The people he’s talking about were mostly on defense side of the ball….the linebackers and secondary, not saying no names mitchell, spence, dupree, hargrave. Top fives defenses don’t give up 38 points at home in the playoffs and expect to win. I believe some of it is a mixture of personnel and other guys not ready to play. Fix the D and you have an excellent shot.

5. Le’Veon Bell is always ready to play. Whether he is on a contract holdout, drug suspension, or injured before the playoffs. The only time he has to sit is because the Patriots hurt his feelings by not letting him get big gains with his trademark running style.

6. If the Steelers don’t move on from Bell They’re going to regret it
    They are already 2 million over the cap…How are you , why are you going
    to resign him?

7. After the Steelers blocked the Jags punt and got the ball at the Jags 48 with 14:45 left in the 4th quarter and a chance to tie the game ….. Bell couldn’t get a 1st down on 3 straight carries. But yeah, be sure to blame everybody but yourself for not being ready.

8. Steelers defense just didn’t show up. I am pretty sure if Shazier was there it wouldn’t have gone down like that. They needed a leader to step up on D but no one did.

9. Bell did you ever think that the better team won, and its a goid thing that happened you saved your from a yrue blowout the pats would have layed on you..you will be the moron to pay a selfish player like you

10. I really don’t see the Steelers ever winning a championship with this current group – too many divas. Full disclosure : I do hate the Steelers, but I’m saying this in all sincerity. I just don’t know how you can get everyone pulling on the rope in one direction when so many of them are only looking out for themselves. It’s almost like a full cultural 180 is needed in Pitt, starting with the coaching staff.

11. I am great…..I was ready……my team was not ready…..I deserve to be the highest paid player in football……show me the money!!!!!

12. mrkbuilders says:
    February 4, 2018 at 10:07 am
    Does this guy ever stop talking?!?!?!

—-

If he didn’t talk you would have nothing to talk about. Oh, and Le’veon Bell averaged over 4 yards a carry and scored two touchdowns in that game, and was one of the top players in the NFL in 2017. So walkthrough or otherwise, he did do his job.

What did you do?

13. So he’s saying Tomlin didn’t have the team prepared properly for a playoff game.

He’s a good coach compared to a lot of the bad ones out there, but he seem to shoot himself and his team in the foot quite often.

14. Its always something with these Pittsburgh Steelers.

So talented but always worrying about themselves before the team. And the coach just lets it all happen.

15. Antonio Brown is still the best WR, but Bell’s days as fantasy’s #1 RB are over.
    He should remain in the top 5 if uninjured and not suspended,,
    Gurley, a returning David Johnson, Hunt, Fournette will be better choices and values in fantasy drafts next season.

16. Hey pats trolls,

Why don’t you worry about your own great franchise and winning #6 this evening instead of sticking your nose in the dysfunctional steeler organizations business. Mike Tomlin’s career record speaks for itself skippy’s…nofoolnodrool

17. I could say the same thing about the armchair warriors that are the geniuses that make up the PFT commenting pool. Never played the game, but know so much more than anyone else.

What did you do?

___

So only former NFL players can comment on this website. Okay, sure.

I don’t need to have played in the NFL to know that airing the problems with your team to the media and public isn’t a good idea. I can also tell when a person is more about themselves than the team.

18. Keep Brown, cut Bell, draft the best RB available (who has a team mentality) and they’ll be better off.

Guys like Bell & OBJ don’t seem to be worth it. The team results show it.

19. Reading stories about the Steelers’ dysfunction is so much more entertaining than any Superbowl pregame show.

20. The season ended in a very disappointing fashion for the Steelers and some of these guys still can’t quit mouthing off? Hey Bell, how ready were you to play when the season started? Oh that’s right, you held out and were not ready to play for several games. How many runs of over 25 yards did you have this year? Bell is grating on my last nerve, he needs to lay low for a while.

21. steelcurtainn says:
    February 4, 2018 at 10:19 am

Fix the D and you have an excellent shot.
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    Maybe fix the special teams too. And the coaching.

22. In the coming season look for the Steelers to be focusing all their energy and talking about beating the Jags in the regular season as they did this past season for the Pats. The Steelers started in with the beating the Pats talk in April of ’17, lets see if they become obsessed with the Jags earlier than that this year.

23. patsfan1820 says:
    February 4, 2018 at 10:19 am
    A Steeler with an ego problem? Surely you jest.
    ————————————–
    No I’m not and don’t call me Shirley.

24. Maybe fix the special teams too. And the coaching.
    ________________________________________________
    Special teams is fine. Coaching can better agree but that’s not why the Steelers lost. The defense wasn’t prepared and there are a couple players on the D that dont need to be starting. No excuses but shazier is a bigger blow to the defense then many think. As far as the offense, they did their part.

25. Hate all you guys want. It’s all good. You and I know that the Steelers will be back in the playoff hunt next year. It’s our history, perennial playoff contenders. But that is what happens when youve had 5 straight decades of winning. Don’t believe me? Look it up, since 1970, the Steelers haven’t had a losing decade.

26. The Steelers fans seem to assume an awful lot of things. They seem to assume they would have beat the Patriots had they been the opponent that day. They seem to assume they would have beat the Patriots had they gotten by Jacksonville. They seem to assume they are a stronger team than Jacksonville who beat them twice and handily both times. Even though anything that has actually happened on a football field would say none of those things are true they seem to assume all of them. But is it possible that maybe, just maybe, this is not the championship caliber team everyone keeps assuming and thats why the games come out the way they do?

27. The Steelers lack leadership. It would be easy to pile on Tomlin but where was Big Ben? It’s Big Ben’s role as the leader of the team to keep them focused like Ray Lewis did in Baltimore. Time for Big Ben to step up.

28. He should really just shut up. Isn’t this the first playoff game he bothered to show up for?

29. Hate all you guys want. It’s all good. You and I know that the Steelers will be back in the playoff hunt next year. It’s our history, perennial playoff contenders. But that is what happens when youve had 5 straight decades of winning. Don’t believe me? Look it up, since 1970, the Steelers haven’t had a losing decade.

____

I agree with that, they are always good. And they are fun to watch.

They are still a bunch of loud mouthed idiots.

30. I like the Steelers, I really do and this guy is a stud on the field, but I’m starting to think he is not worth the trouble he causes and is kind of an dink.

31. Seems like whiny Mr.Bell is becoming,or already is ,a locker room diva (don’t like using the “C”-word)to describe people. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Steelers cut him loose if he doesn’t knock it off. Give me Gurley any day over this guy.

32. steelcurtainn says:
    February 4, 2018 at 1:29 pm

No excuses but shazier is a bigger blow to the defense then many think.
    —————————————————————————————————–
    A huge blow – both on the field, and psychologically. BUT, this is where the cost of AB and Bell really shows up – they rob you of quality depth.

33. How classy to turn against your own teammates and blame them for an embarrassing loss! He’s really setting himself for a huge contract. Teams are always looking for a big mouth diva who chokes in the playoffs.

34. Wellman says:

_______________

Clearly you have no idea of what the role of the GM comprises. The GM gets the talent. Its all on the coaches after that. They have to mold it and temper it. Discipline is the domain of coaches and parents. If the coach created an environment to condone that crap and refuses to address it because he is more interested in being a player’s friend than his coach, its on him.

Since Tomlin already took away their playstation rights, I guess its harsh language time now.

35. “citizenstrange says:
    February 4, 2018 at 10:38 am
    After the Steelers blocked the Jags punt and got the ball at the Jags 48 with 14:45 left in the 4th quarter and a chance to tie the game ….. Bell couldn’t get a 1st down on 3 straight carries. But yeah, be sure to blame everybody but yourself for not being ready.”

Thats not on Bell. That’s on Haley and Tomlin.

36. Wellman says:
    February 4, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Championship caliber talent is there in terms of players. Its not in terms of coaches.

37. The Steelers as a team definately overlooked the strength of the Jags as a whole. Bell should not be pointing fingers at other players. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Not a guy I would want in my locker room. Great player but seems to be an even greater distraction.

38. So by admitting that “players should be able to get themselves ready to play” I guess then he’s telling us that Tomlin did squat to prepare the team as usual.