Lions talked to Patricia about his Goodell shirt

Getty Images

Last week when he was the Patriots defensive coordinator, Matt Patricia was asked if he regretted wearing a T-shirt with Roger Goodell in a clown nose.

He brushed it aside then, saying all his focus was on the Eagles. But when he interviewed with the Lions, it definitely came up and he definitely answered.

Via Justin Rogers of the Detroit News, Lions General Manager Bob Quinn said they discussed it during the interview process.

It is not a concern at all,” Quinn said. “And yes, we talked about it. I’d say very briefly.”

Openly taunting a commissioner is the kind of madcap hijinks you can get away with when you’re an assistant. When you’re a head coach, the standards for mocking authority are different.

Team president Rod Wood declined to share Patricia’s response, but seemed content with what he heard.

“I did get a very satisfactory answer,” Wood said. “I’m not going to tell you what the answer was. I think that Matt has talked to Roger since that happened.

“I don’t think it’s going to affect how Roger views the Detroit Lions.”

They better hope not, because Goodell was reportedly steamed about Patricia wearing the shirt after the Patriots won Super Bowl LI. As it turns out, some people don’t like being portrayed as clowns.

55 responses to “Lions talked to Patricia about his Goodell shirt

1. Is this goof ball obsessed with pencils?, he actually has one sticking in his ear during his press conference with the Lions………..unreal!!!

2. That shirt said more about Patricia and the Pats then it did about the man on the shirt.

Funny that Pat fans had their whole clown thing they were going to do to Goodell in week 1 after they raised their banner. Then the team got curbstomped by KC in their own house. Kind of fizzled out after that. Go figure!

3. “As it turns out, some people don’t like being portrayed as clowns”

Given his actions with Deflategate, and how he has continuously bungled so many other situations, Goodell has fully earned this portrayal. I just wish Patricia wore this t-shirt to his introductory press conference.

4. This is really stupid, what is Roger going to do, take draft picks from Detroit because he didn’t like Patricia’s tee shirt over a year ago? I imagine Quinn/Patricia/Wood all laughed about it during the interview.

5. If I wore a shirt to work with a picture of my CEO wearing a clown nose, I’d be fired on the spot. That’s the difference between the real world and the NFL.

6. rolf1015 says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:27 am
    “As it turns out, some people don’t like being portrayed as clowns”

============
    What happened to Sean Payton and the Saints was a much bigger injustice. But I didn’t see them wearing a clown shirt featuring the commissioner of the league.

7. “It is not a concern at all,” Quinn said. “And yes, we talked about it.”
    ——————

So, it wasn’t a concern, yet you still brought it up during the interview…

Spending a even few minutes on this while deciding to hiring someone for $5m a year means you were very concerned.

8. Then the team got curbstomped by KC in their own house. Kind of fizzled out after that. Go figure!
    —–
    Just to be clear by fizzled out you mean they only won the AFC title and not the over all NFL title? Let me know when KC or whoever you are pumping up goes to 7 straight AFC titles.

Belittle NE’s accomplishments at your own peril.

9. Steve Schwarz says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:28 am

———————
    I dont think the structure is being 7nderstood here. If Patricia had worn one with Kraft in a clown nose that just might have happened. But in this case he did it to somone outside the organization he worked for. That is the actual difference.

10. factschecker says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:59 am
    —–

Belittle NE’s accomplishments at your own peril.

———————
    I think you misunderstand the scoring system. If a team beats NE in the regular season, for some teams even in the preseason, that counts as a bigger deal than if NE than if NE wins the SB. The reson being because that teams regular season win is a less common occurrance than the Patriots winning the SB.

The only team with bragging rights here is Philly. The rest are like those squeaky duck toys.

11. factschecker says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:59 am

—–

Belittle NE’s accomplishments at your own peril.

=================
    I’m not belittling anything. I’m just saying it’s kind of funny that Pat fan was hyping up week 1 to embarrass the commissioner… and then they got rolled by KC. Whoops!

12. If I was getting paid $200m over the next five years as NFL commissioner again, I’d be happy to send every player, coach, team employee, etc the same clown t-shirt.

13. Honestly, when the league constantly kicks the stuffing out of your team for years (Calvin Johnson rule, KJ Wright illegal bat, picking up the PI flag against Hitchens in the playoffs, calling defensive PI against a Lions DB while a Seattle receiver was twisting said DB’s head off with his face mask, the untimed down awarded to GB after a non-face mask penalty, The Tate reversal and runoff against the Falcons), The Lions are probably not too worried about the league being offended by a clown nose.

14. stucats , the pencil behind the ear was brought up in a question so he jokingly put one behind his ear .

15. The pencil in the ear. The Goodell shirt. Perfect example of perceptions that are a major part of being a head coach. And exhibits for why this guy is going to fail.

Memo to thee Lions: your new guy’s defense gave up 42 in the Super Bowel…

16. Braz says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:29 am
    ============
    _______________

You’re making my point as this is another example of Goodell completely bungling a situation, thus fully earning this status. Too bad the Goodell clown shirts weren’t available back at that time.

17. The old adage “Be careful of the toes you step on today for they may be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow” rings very true.

18. “Openly taunting a commissioner…”

Patricia wore the shirt on the plane and a pic was snapped of him getting off the plane on the tarmac in it. He had no reasonable expectation that anyone other than the team would see him in it. He didn’t openly wear it in public.

19. It will be interesting to see what Patricia can do with a defense with some talent – Big Play Slay, Glover Quin, Jarrad Davis, Tahir Whitehead, A’Shawn Robinson, Teez Tabor, and Quandre Diggs. They just need a few defensive ends and the Detroit D will be scary good.

20. Com’on man! A clown is good at entertaining people. Goodell has zero redeeming qualities, and can’t seem to get anything right. Key word is “inept”.

21. Patricia was an engineer. Do you think he’s really going to bow down to a league office that denies the ideal gas law? You know, that radical new science that was verified in the 19th century.

22. your6ringsaremeaninglessnow says:
    February 8, 2018 at 11:02 am
    ———————————————————-

Ummmm……Yeah! All of those superstars in Detroit should really push Matt Patricia right to the top in the NFL World!

23. I’m not a big fan of wearing any shirt portraying someone as a clown. To me it tells more about the person wearing it than the person they are attempting to berate. Whether you like the man or not, making it personal goes over the line, in my opinion. You can disagree with someone without resorting to childish antics. It’s called civility. Unfortunately in today’s society childish antics are applauded and civility is scoffed at.

24. Steve Schwarz says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:28 am
    —-
    Umm….Patricia at the time worked for New England Patriots. A simple google search shows Robert Kraft as the CEO.
    You should probably be fired on the sport in anycase for not knowing who your CEO is.

25. When you’re a head coach, the standards for mocking authority are different.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Not really. The difference is the amount of effort people put in to making/believing excuses for poor behavior/questionable decisions.

26. yvorlukash says:
    February 8, 2018 at 9:27 am

———————-

Oh, it won’t be for something so obvious. He’ll just make something up, like he always does, and since Patricia was associated with the Patriots, all the idiots will believe it, like they always do.

27. “If I wore a shirt to work with a picture of my CEO wearing a clown nose, I’d be fired on the spot. That’s the difference between the real world and the NFL.”

Um, Roger is the not the “CEO” of the Patriots. Patricia was a Patriots employee, not an NFL employee. That’s the difference between making a comparison that has no foundation and one that uses actual facts.

28. Memo to thee Lions: your new guy’s defense gave up 42 in the Super Bowel…
    *********************************

Memo to you: you might want to re-check your SB squares if you thought the final was 42-33. You might have a winner!

29. “Whether you like the man or not, making it personal goes over the line, in my opinion. ”

Roger told something like 56 documented lies during framegate not to mention denying the existence of science. Roger made it quite personal so maybe he shouldn’t lie through his teeth and manufacture fraudulent “scandals”