Jimmy Garoppolo didn’t want to apply maximum leverage

AP

“Because this is where I want to be, honestly,” Garoppolo told reporters on Friday. “I wanted to get this deal done as fast as possible, and it’s only going to help our team going forward, going into free agency, and it’s 75 degrees out here. It’s not a snowstorm like Chicago. We just came from that, so I can speak on that. It’s a lot better here. You know, I don’t know. There’s other factors that go into it, too. That’s a big part. And so it’s just, I don’t know, I wanted to be here I was excited to be here, and I’m happy we got it done as fast as we did.”

It’s hard to imagine a guy with seven career starts getting more than the most that any player in NFL history ever has gotten, but that’s what his circumstances dictated. And it could have been more costly for the team, if Garoppolo had been determined to get every possible dollar.

Indeed, if he’d declined to do a long-term deal and play on a year-to-year basis, he could have made $90 million (if subject to the non-exclusive tag) or $97 million (if given the exclusive tag) before hitting the open market in 2021 — and beating whatever the top of the market will be at that point.

Instead, he’ll likely be underpaid in 2021 at $24.1 million, the same way that Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson currently are at $22 million and $21.9 million, respectively. But Garoppolo will have made about $86 million by then. For a guy who played college football at Eastern Illinois, who arrived in the NFL via round two, and who has spent most of his career sitting on the bench, that’s a damn good outcome.

30 responses to “Jimmy Garoppolo didn’t want to apply maximum leverage

1. It’s not a snowstorm like Chicago. We just came from that, so I can speak on that. It’s a lot better here.
    ==================================================

I hear they have some interesting parades there. Not child friendly.

2. He got the highest contract per yearly average ever?!?! It’s not like he took 17 mil a year. Cmon now let’s not call his deal him being generous and a team player by any means lol. Not holding is against him he got the money while the getting was good but him paining this as a hometown deal is ridiculous.

3. Michael E says:
    February 9, 2018 at 6:39 pm
    ==================================================

I hear they have some interesting parades there. Not child friendly.

——————————————————————————–

You must not get out much because they have those “interesting parades” in every major city nowadays. California is an amazing state with natural beauty unlike any other in the union. If politics dictate everything you do that’s sad.

4. Tony Romo is envious. He’s from the same college. Good on Garappolo giving SF a home town discount. Now, build a team around him.

5. I mean, 37.5 million per year is mind boggling. 1% of that is $375,000 per year. For most of us, that would make us rich. 1% of his salary. Wow. And there are many who make $37,500 per year and get by, or in other words, 1/10th of 1% of Jimmy G’s annual salary. There is such a disparity between athlete salaries and the real world.

6. How can you say he will be underpaid in 2021. I love the niners commitment and his talent, but you can’t possibly think it is a guarantee that he will be the best quarterback in the league in 3 years. You can’t also bet on him getting the franchise tag three years in a row.

The waiver wire is littered with QBs that were the next (fill in the blank). I’m totally rooting for the guy, but the pft crystal ball is working overtime here.

7. “underpaid in 2021 at $24.1 million”
    With his experience, I don’t think I could write that with a straight face.

8. datageek94 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 7:15 pm
    “underpaid in 2021 at $24.1 million”
    With his experience, I don’t think I could write that with a straight face.

—–
    The mere fact that Jimmy went 5-0 with a team that was 1-10 before he joined leads more credence to PFT’s point than yours. And I watched the 49ers last year. Jimmy G’s play was the single most important factor in preventing the team from being the Browns of the west.

9. liljpeezy says:
    February 9, 2018 at 7:01 pm

———–

What’s mind boggling is how people still complain how athletes are “overpaid”. But these people don’t realize athletes are paid based on their contribution/importance to the company just like you and I.

I guess it’s unfortunate you’re not a franchise QB in the NFL because you’d probably take a salary of $40k and leave more for the billionaire owners.

10. Amazingly, his upfront guaranteed money is still less than what Sam Bradford got before ever taking a snap in an NFL game.

11. Lol wow this is just like when carr signed his big contract with the raiders and he was patting himself on the back because he “could have gotten more money” but acted like he was on a “team friendly deal” that made him one of the richest qb’s in nfl history.

12. He’s set for life and the cap hits aren’t bad so the team can put good talent around him. He learned from Brady and Belichick and wants to win, not solely get paid.

It means he understands that once you have enough money, a little more isn’t going to give you any further satisfaction in life but being successful with your craft will.

13. Jimmy, your agent did a poor job. You should have gotten a contract with more money to make up for California taxes and a shorter term. It is ok to break the bank with your first contract because there is no guarantee what the future holds.

14. Jimmy Garrappolo broke football with this outlandish contract. For him to say that only proves he’s a huge waste of life. What a joke. Think I’m done with pro sports. His contract has basically ruined the Niners – just like Brees with the Saints and soon to be Rodgers with the Pookers. Brady, although I don’t like him and the Patriots, at least really wants to win at the cost of bragging rights.

15. 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo could have applied more pressure and leverage to the team, getting an even better deal than the one he got. So why didn’t he?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Because not everybody is a self-centered cash worshiping dirtbag. He made what he wanted on the deal and some other things mattered to him. It’s not like he will be hurting for money. If you make $10M in a year but you are hung up on the fact that you could have made $10.5M then odds are you have an issue beyond making sub-optimal money.

16. “…and it’s 75 degrees out here. It’s not a snowstorm like Chicago…It’s a lot better here.”

Dolphins 6-10. Bucs 5-11. Nobody locking down deals in Florida because of weather…

17. I’m not a 49ers fan but how can anyone fault him? He came in, won every game he started. Was excited about his team and respectful in getting a contract done. He did everything right, was rewarded and the only people who aren’t happy are the fans of the other teams in his division who now have to worry about the 49ers

18. Or: he could have suffered a major injury or down season in 2018 and never come close to earning what he likely will earn over this contract. Gee, tough decision for a guy with just seven career starts (and a five game winning streak that was far below average in quality of opposition).

19. As much as I dislike Brady, at least he takes REAL team friendly contracts. But that itself begs the question…outside of Gronk a few others, where is the rest of that $ going? That Pats team last Sunday legitimately one of the least talented I have ever seen in a Super Bowl.

20. george1859 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 7:16 pm

Thus signing insures many 4-12 seasons in the Patriots future..
    ____________________________________________

We’ve seen a lot of gloom and doom ‘guarantees’ regarding the Patriots over the years. This signing doesn’t insure anything, what it ensures is the Niners will not have to apply the tag to keep Garoppolo.

21. atwaterslaughter says:
    February 10, 2018 at 2:20 am

——————————
    It was that talented, even after the injuries. But it had one weakness and Philly made enough of that to outplay them. Good for Philly and still good effort by the Patriots. Lets face it, that was a great game all the way. And really arent we that spectating fans in it just to be ble to watch exciting competition. We all got that given to us so no complaints.

The thing about that Patriots is not winning the SB every year (because they dont) its being a top contender to win it every year. The only year they have not been that was 2007 when they lost Brady and they were still pretty darn good (11-5 wasn’t it?). If they won it every time that would get boring, so to be a top contender every year and to go there half the time and win it half the time they do is more than enough to make a fan base happy. (And apparently to make haters crazy but thats their problem)

Anyhooo, on to next year. Lets take some time to forget the Patriots and give Philly the recognition. And to be happy for JG and wish him the best.

22. The guy said he was HAPPY, leave it up to some fans to worry about his contract. I say again ” he is happy “. Bill

23. atwaterslaughter says:

February 10, 2018 at 2:20 am

—————————
    They were missing Hightower, Edelman, Shane McClellin and eventually Cooks…
    That’s probably why!