Jimmy Garoppolo was sold on the 49ers the moment he arrived

Getty Images

It hasn’t quite hit Jimmy Garoppolo yet that he is the highest-paid player in NFL history based on highest per yer average on a long-term deal.

“I was talking to my brothers about it the last 24 hours flying here and everything,” Garoppolo said during a Friday press conference. “If you had asked me as a little kid if I thought this was a reality, probably not. But you always dream about being that NFL quarterback and everything. This is just taking another step in that direction I guess.”

The 49ers had the franchise tag they could have used on the quarterback in the absence of a long-term deal, but both sides wanted the outcome they got Thursday. Garoppolo, acquired by the 49ers from the Patriots at the trade deadline, is signed for the next five years.

“A lot of people kept saying, ‘It’s a difficult process; it’s complex,'” 49ers General Manager John Lynch said. “What I tried to do is keep pushing the button: Hey, he wants to be here; we want him here. Let’s get it done. Why wait?

“. . . A lot of people are going to have a lot of ideas on what could have happened. What I’m concerned about is he’s right here, and he’s signed for five years, and I love that. It took a lot of team work to get that done, and I’m really proud that we did.”

Garoppolo played coy during the regular season, even as he won all five of his starts, about whether he wanted to sign a long-term deal with the 49ers. But Garoppolo said he never had any doubt about his future and where he wanted to spend his career.

Once he arrived in San Francisco, Garoppolo said he was sold on Lynch, Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers.

“I wasn’t careful [about his choice of words]. I knew I wanted to be here,” said Garoppolo, whose deal is worth $137.5 million. “I knew it was just a matter of getting everything figured out. We did that fairly quickly this offseason. I’m excited about it and thankful that it got done so fast. It’s an exciting time right now.”

78 responses to “Jimmy Garoppolo was sold on the 49ers the moment he arrived

1. Seahawkboymike, so many flavor choices and you choose to be sour. Don’t worry that you’re paying that baseball player 100m.But he sure can run. Sounds familiar…..

2. .
    The Patriots sent Jimmy G to a good situation in a nice city with competent coaches. It was a good marriage from the start.

3. I love all the negatives comments – let’s remember how bad the 49ers were this season until Jimmy. Also he played pretty well in NE when Brady was out. Who cares about how much he got – rookies used to get huge deals for not even throwing a pass.

4. A nice payday for his agent Don Yee. Is 10% of the total value a good guess? How is that paid out, lump sum or over a period of years, anyone know?

5. Taxes and high cost of living will eat up at least 1/4 of that. I don’t know why more guys don’t explore Tennessee, Florida, Texas (and eventually Nevada). I mean position players too. Calais Campbell hit the jackpot.

Obviously none of those states are in the QB market (some disagree in Jacksonville, Miami and even Tampa). But none of those teams would be signing him right now, anyway.

6. Those of you who think Garoppolo is Kevin Kolb didn’t watch him play the last 5 games. I’ve been watching football since the early/mid 80’s and I can’t remember ever seeing a QB walk in and have that kind of effect on a team. The work isn’t done, they need to build a roster of young talent around him but the sky is the limit. He has everything you could want in a young QB. If they can put talent around him and keep him healthy he can lead them to a lot of success, I have no doubt about that. $27M a year is going to make it a little tougher to fill that roster out though. For the 49ers sake, I hope his next deal is a little more team friendly.

7. aj66shanghai says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm

Still the 4th best team in a mediocre division. At least they pay their qb the most though?
    —————————-

Not sure what games you watched but the 49ers were clearly the class of that division the last 5 weeks.

8. The last three wins of his 5 game streak were against the Titans, Jags and the Rams. I’m not going to be shocked to see someone spin that into a negative thing against him. Some fans had their mind made up about him before he was ever drafted and they will not allow anything to change their minds under any circumstances. It’s the exact same reason some still call Tom Brady a “system QB.” They made up their mind back in 2000 and nothing will change that original opinion. I was dead wrong about Carson Wentz. I changed my tune after a preseason and a few regular season games. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. It’s perfectly normal to have speculation. But there is something wrong with gaining more information and see for yourself questions being answered and then still refusing to change your mind. That is not normal or natural. I bet Nick Foles changed a lot of minds on Super Bowl Sunday.

9. backintheday99 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm
    —————————————
    The reason is because only half of the salary (home games) is impacted by state tax of the team you play for unless they become a resident of the state (at which point it impacts all of it). Not every player resides year round near team facilities.

10. george1859 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm

…..and there isn’t the cloud of systemic cheating..
    ———————-

That’s rich. Bill Walsh perfected the headset scam, and Jerry Rice is a confessed cheater.

11. Taxes and high cost of living will eat up at least 1/4 of that. I don’t know why more guys don’t explore Tennessee, Florida, Texas (and eventually Nevada). I mean position players too. Calais Campbell hit the jackpot.

———————-

Not everyone in the bay area is a millionaire. Most houses are 1-2 Million. As long as he isn’t spending irresponsibly the cost of living with even 10% of what he got paid is EASILY doable.

12. I love the 49ers and love the San Francisco Bay Area. But I have no idea how Garoppolo could be sold on the 49ers who were something like 0-8 when he got there. And I love the city of San Francisco but Santa Clara and the rest of the South Bay Area is about as boring of a suburban techie wasteland as you can get and their stadium and workout facility is right in the middle of that wasteland.

13. Very glad for Jimmy and hope he leads the 9ers back to relevance.

I don’t watch any games but he Pats and playoffs anymore, so I didn’t see any of his play in SF, but the 2 games he played for the Pats he was fantastic. Read defenses well, quick release, strong throwing arm, sees the field well. Am genuinely disappointed he won’t be taking over for Brady when he retires.

14. backintheday99 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________

Did you know that Odell Beckham JR gets 6 million dollars a year from his Nike endorsement deal? Big markets, NYC, Bay Area – those guys make bank on endorsement deals. People in Tennessee or Jacksonville aren’t hot commodities for endorsement deals. Old people in Jacksonville aint buying Nike high tops.

15. All these negative comments… I love it. Go watch a Jimmy G highlight video on youtube. He was one of the best QBs in the league last year.

16. There’s more money in that techie wasteland per square mile than anywhere else in the world, save for Manhattan… Maybe…

17. Jimmy could have done it the Florio way like Kirk Cousins did … But, he is set for 5 years, and he can plan on that being the happy likelihood outcome. If I were a GM, I would take Jimmy over Kirk, every day of the week (Now that the NFL no longer focuses on twice on Sunday). The Redskins (and other teams) are kicking themselves right now for not making the deal the 49ers did.

18. Oh Yeah Joe Montana could throw a spiral through a swinging tire swing while checking down on other targets availible. When was Montana drafted? When was Brady drafted? When waqs Oh yeah garoppla drafted? where is Ryan Leaf? Where was Mel Kuiper Jr. when
    they needed him?

19. 49erfan44 says:
    Seahawkboymike, so many flavor choices and you choose to be sour. Don’t worry that you’re paying that baseball player 100m. But he sure can run. Sounds familiar….
    —————————————————————
    Yeah our QB is going to the Hall of Fame. Yours… probably not.

20. george1859 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm
    …..and there isn’t the cloud of systemic cheating..

——————-
    Let’s see, the 49’s….oh, yes…

-Cheating the salary cap
    -Using stickum
    -Tampered with Briggs in 2007
    -PEDS several times since 1989

Yeah, no air of cheating at all. Um hum.

21. jake6879 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:59 pm
    ——————————————————-
    I watched him. A lot of guys look great in practice and garbage time. Rarely translates into real world success at a high level.

22. tylawspick6 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:17 pm
    Ohm, I am sure he did once he knew he was set to cash in. lmao

/////////////////////

Not sure you’ll be lmao shortly with Brady ready to retire and JG gone for good. Sorry BB is not getting him back.

23. Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:19 pm
    Why couldn’t have been born with six more inches (of height; don’t go there) and a stronger arm?
    ———
    Not saying he is or will be as good as … but he reminds me of Aaron Rogers, with his delivery and release, also same height, weight and even hand size as Aaron Rogers.

24. QB contracts are stupid. He’s played 6 games and he’s the highest paid player in history, followed in second place by a guy who’s never won a playoff game. No one should just be handed the biggest contract ever because they signed after someone else.

Teams are baffled by how the patriots make it to the Super Bowl every year and then turn around and go “here guy who has started 6 games. Have ten million dollars more per year than Tom Brady.” Why not use that money to fix holes in your team?

Every QB negotiation should start with the GM walking into the room and saying “alright, Tom Brady has five super bowl rings, let me just check here to see how many you have. Oh it’s zero. Zero super bowl rings. So let’s start the negotiations at Tom’s 20 million and work our way down shall we?”

25. “Pats fans slamming the future they gave away for a 2nd round pick. Love it”

Um, the Pats fans here including myself are almost universally glad for Jimmy and have a lot of praise for him. See my post above.

The people slamming him seem to include a heavy dose of Seahawks fans and those of loser teams.

26. “A nice payday for his agent Don Yee. Is 10% of the total value a good guess? How is that paid out, lump sum or over a period of years, anyone know?”

Nope, not anywhere near that as the league caps agent commission at 3% and I believe some for vets with a certain number of years have been reduced to 2%. Which is still a heck of a payday.

All you had to do was go to a search engine and ask what percentage NFL agents get paid. Uniformed guesses in the age of the internet lead to uninformed posts SMH

27. Just laid 50 million on the guy. What was he gonna say… Oh I really thought this place sucked when I 1st got here?

28. Lot of hate on here for California and the Bay Area. We pay a lot because we make a lot. That’s why it’s called the Golden State. It’s The 5th biggest money making economy in the World. Ahead of all the remaining 49 US states combined.

Sorry you guys live in states with low employment rates and are bitter because your shoveling snow or ducking rainstorms with your umbrellas.

Meanwhile I’m enjoying 75degrees with sunshine and a slight breeze and thinking about BBQ’n or where I might take my kids to enjoy this beautiful weekend.

Enjoy your 6more weeks of winter

29. davew128 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 4:04 pm
    —————————————

==================================

And Derek Jeter tried something similar (‘living’ in Florida but renting in Manhattan)and failed.

30. harrisonhits2 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 5:19 pm

* * *

It’s 2% for one-year tags (and 1% if a player plays on a tag for a third time).

31. Enjoy your 6more weeks of winter

It’s my preferred season. My industry works in the elements.

Not everyone is soft.

32. rowdymon says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:41 pm

—-

True on the rookies, not true on how bad the Niners were before he got there. Didn’t win, no, but they lost a whole lot of games by a point or two which means they were in games before he got there. After he got there the only quality win he got was against the Jags, and most folks think the Jags laid an egg that week. Beating the 2nd team Rams in week 17 doesn’t count. Titans, Texans and Bears hardly makes a resume.

My verdict is still way out on the guy, but I am not begrudging his contract. It’s more team friendly than it looks.

33. seahawkboymike says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:19 pm
    I’d be sold on them too if they gave me $100 million after I’d played like 6 games.

8-8, at best.
    ***************************************************************************************

Nice try your window is slamming shut its Niner v Rams for the division next year Hawks and Cards are in rebuild mode….but I’m sure the 12’s are in complete denial about what is happening to their club.

34. San Francisco is a great city! He will love it there. And once the Raiders depart for Las Vegas, the ‘Niners will no longer have to share media coverage.

35. ATTENTION SEAHAWKS FANS: THIS IS YOUR NOTICE.

Your time at the top of the division came and went very quickly. Russell Wilson, your quarterback/ running back, your offense, can’t continue at the pace you’re going. No offensive line is bound to catch up with him sooner or later. The Legion of Boom is now the Legion of Old.

WINDOW CLOSED.

And that team, the team you love to hate so much? It’s not back, but it’s on the WAY back.

You have ONE SUPER BOWL TITLE to show for it. ONE.

The 49ers are one Super Bowl away from winning their SIXTH, as in TIED WITH PITTSBURGH.

That one may be attainable in the near future, or it may not. But one thing is certain: SF is trending UP.

You are trending down.

Goodbye, Richard. Goodbye, Sneaky Pete. Goodbye, Cam the Sham.

“DYNASTY” OVER.

36. faithful49er707 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 5:37 pm

Enjoy your 6more weeks of winter

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I’m with this guy. It’s not called the Golden State for nothing. You got skills; you got an education; you got ambition. You’ll do fine.

37. Jimmy G was “sold” the moment he laid eyes on beautiful San Francisco! C’mon, it’s an international city not some podunk big town like boston

38. jake6879 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 4:00 pm
    aj66shanghai says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm

—————————-

_______________________________________________________

5 weeks is not equal to a full season. And btw the last week was against the rams when they sat all of their star players. Another one of his big wins was against Chicago where he led the 9ers to a 15-14 victory. yuge wins though lol

39. @Wizard

Most people work year round through any elements, so not sure where your going with that. If were considered “soft” because we prefer not to shovel snow 45mins before driving to work or dealing with ice storms then so be it.

Good weather year round, good 🌲 that makes the eyes red beautiful scenery (beaches, oceans, mountains,etc) job employment that pays well and gorgeous women isn’t for everyone and that’s ok with us

40. skawh says:
    February 9, 2018 at 6:36 pm

—-

What?!?

Skawh – I know it’s been a tough slide back to mediocrity since the Seahawks lost in devastating fashion to the Pats and that must have you residing right on the edge of reality, but the abyss is getting deeper and deeper for you here. You’re entering terripet territory and trust me—you don’t want to be wherever that is.

Make some sense once in a while. Your pain jumps right off the screen.

41. Teams have 5 games of film of him in the Niner offense. I’m sure the argument is it was 5 games so his 7/5 td/ints are meaningless, he was 5-0, but many a QB has shown brilliance in a small span only to stink when the full weight of being the full time starter hits. I have no malice against the guy, he’s never harmed me professionally or personally so good luck to him, but I’ll temper my hopes until he has a full season running the show and proves he’s the real deal.

42. Pats fan here. I’m rooting for Jimmy G. He knew his place in New England and didn’t complain. How could you when you are sitting behind the best. Those claiming Brady was jealous of him are nuts. The Pats could not afford to keep both Brady and Garopollo. If they thought there was a way they would have. Before the season when Lynch asked about Garopollo Bill said “no.” When Lynch asked about a trade for Brady Bill “laughed at him.” I will root for the kid from afar, but I still think Brady and Bill have another Superbowl in them. Live in Boston, but have been to San Francisco. Love Boston and the East Coast, but San Fran was definitely beautiful and the weather was amazing.

43. Most people work year round through any elements, so not sure where your going with that.

I don’t think comprehension is your strong point. If life is so great where your’re at, you’d be living it instead of bragging about it on a message board.

44. I hope he works out for 49ers. Jimmy is local kid here from the Chicago burbs and he’s shown in 7 games that he belongs in the NFL. What should be a concern for 49ers? Jimmy has only played in 7 games against NFL doormats and he’s signed for $150M for 5 years.

45. This guy is a leader of men. They are few and far between. He got into his 49ers teammates heads that the coaches couldn’t and look what happened. He worth his weight in 49ers GOLD and they know it and so did Bill in New England.

46. he had to be sold on it,because they would have used the franchise tag on him, if he wanted to leave! so give me a break!