John DeFilippo will have “as much say as Vikings want” on QB

AP

The Vikings made Thursday a memorable day for John DeFilippo as he went from being in a Super Bowl victory parade in Philadelphia to a new job as offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

One of the key pieces DeFilippo will have to work with is unknown at this point. Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are definitely headed for free agency while Teddy Bridgewater will be if his contract for 2017 does not toll, leaving the Vikings without a starter at quarterback. The team has plenty of options about how to address that.

They could re-sign one or more of them, make a play for Kirk Cousins, try to trade for Nick Foles and/or look at options early in the draft. On Friday, DeFilippo, who was Foles’ quarterbacks coach with the Eagles, said he’ll be as involved as possible with the planning on that front.

“I’m going to have some say and I’m going to have as much say as they want me to … I’m going to leave no stone unturned,” DeFilippo said, via Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press.

DeFilippo wasn’t sharing which names he thought make sense for the Vikings, but did say he thinks athleticism is important for a quarterback to succeed in today’s NFL.

37 responses to “John DeFilippo will have “as much say as Vikings want” on QB

1. The Vikes made it to the NFC Championship game with a re-tread, backed up by 2 QBs with two good knees between them — how could next year be much worse from the QB perspective?

2. I see Bradford walking in free agency, while Keenum and Bridgewater are back, and fight it out for the starting job. Even if Bridgewater’s contract doesn’t toll, he would be best served by staying put with a team and a system he knows. If in 2018, that doesn’t work out, expect Foles to show up in 2019 when he becomes a free agent, and take over the starter’s role.

I like the move by the Vikings here. They need to re-up some key defensive players heading into 2018 (Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Waynes). I’m not sure breaking the bank on a free agent QB this year is going to work.

3. Like it or not, they are going to press Philadelphia hard for a Foles deal. That was in the back of their mind when pursuing DeFilippo.

4. zatko says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm

_______

I don’t like it, which is why I’m glad you’re 100% wrong.

5. 38lightpole says:
    February 9, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Whatever they want you to do, please do not trade away a 1st round pick (or more) for Nick Foles.
    :………………………

The 30th pick for a 29 year old QB that completed 80% of his passes for 350 yards against the #1 defense(our defense) on the way to out dueling Brady (think of that pressure) to win the game we’ve wanted to win since 1977?

To be honest, I’ll even chip in for his salary.

6. He didn’t just say athleticism is important, he said athleticism in the pocket. So he likes a guy who can move around in the pocket to extend the play and avoid a sack until he finds his receiver. Keenum is very good at that. Bridgewater was elite at moving in the pocket before his injury, so the question is does he still have that ability. That should be clear to the coaches and players who saw him in practice so I’m sure Flip is very interested in seeing that practice video. Bradford is a statue in the pocket so it doesn’t seem like he would be the number one choice.

7. I’d say Vikings to Super Bowl 2018-19. Not only because of the addition of Filippo but due to last year’s success, especial on the miracle. And teams in the past did it either the year of miracle or a year after.

8. In Teddy We Trust says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:31 pm
    Here’s an underrated bonus to hiring DeFilippo: He can tell Zimmer exactly how the Eagles picked apart his defense. One hire improves both the offense and the defense.

————————————————————————————————————————————

You don’t think Zimmer can look at film and figure that out for himself? If not, then I’d be worried about that. I am sure that part of the hire matters very little to the Vikings. Good D-Coordinators, which Zimmer is, can see exactly what went wrong and how the Eagles attacked their weaknesses. By next game, the gameplay will change for both teams and DeFillippo won’t matter.

9. purpleguy says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:01 pm
    ________________________________________________
    Simple really. Here’s how. They could go into 2018 with just 1 massively overpaid retread and a 2 million warm body as backup.

10. If “athleticism” is a big thing then DeFelippo really shouldn’t want Nick Foles or Sam Bradford. But then again, Foles was athletic enough to be a wide receiver on the biggest play of the Super Bowl. My guess is that they role the dice with Bridgewater.

11. Vikings have the 7th highest cap room for 2018 with about $57 mil available. They’ll be able to do whatever they want. Sammy and Keenum had $20 mil in 2017. That will go a long way to sign whoever they want. Personally, I hope they sign Keenum to 4 year deal AND draft a QB high in draft. Maybe 2nd round.

12. zatko says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    /////////
    This feels like a wild comment people make in the hopes that they are somehow right so they can tell people they called it first. Except, you’re never right.

13. fwippel says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:41 pm
    ///////////
    I’m not saying you’re wrong, but, how would that work? Let’s pretend TB’s contract doesn’t toll. You now sign Keenum to a 4 year $70 mil plus deal, and TB to what, 1 year or 2 year $2-4 mil deal? I just don’t see how they sign both of these guys and then declare it’s an open competition. IF both of these guys come back, then Keenum is your starter, no questions asked. I think a more realistic scenario is you sign Keenum to 4 years $80 mil, hold a press conference, and declare he’s the man for years to come. Then, you tell Teddy he’s free to look around the league for a starting position, but you’d be happy to have him back on a 1-2 year small dollar deal.

14. The most important person on an NFL team is a franchise quarterback something the Vikings haven’t had for a very long time. There’s a rare opportunity this year: a very good HEALTHY QB in his prime is hitting free agency, and the Vikings have to make a strong push to get him. Plus this would be the best supporting cast that Cousins has ever played with and his talent could really emerge. He’d be in playoff contention with this enviable roster and that in itself has to be an attraction for him.

15. conormacleod says:

February 9, 2018 at 4:25 pm

fwippel says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:41 pm
    ///////////
    I’m not saying you’re wrong, but, how would that work?
    =======================================================================

Well, my take is based on the premise that Bridgewater is going to need to prove himself somewhere, meaning that he’ll need to prove he is past that knee injury and durable enough to be relied upon as the starter. I just don’t see another team signing him as their outright starter knowing the injury he’s coming off of.

Minnesota is the most logical choice for Teddy. If he stays healthy and out-performs Keenum, he can prove himself capable of starting again and be their long term starter. If he gets hurt, Minnesota still has Keenum, and will move on from Teddy after 2018. I hope Teddy stays healthy and has recovered completely, but I’m not willing to see the Vikings commit to him as their franchise QB without seeing more out of him. Look, Case Keenum just put up the best season of any Viking QB this decade. Keep him as the starter, and let Teddy beat him out if he can.

16. conormacleod says:
    February 9, 2018 at 4:22 pm

zatko says:
    February 9, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    /////////
    :……………..
    zatko says:
    February 6, 2018 at 9:18 am
    The Vikings should bring John, and John should bring Nick.

I was right about the first part. 🙂 And I won’t come back and tell everyone I said it first. Just you.

17. You guys sell Keenum very short. He is a very good quarterback and the Viking offense didn’t come to life until he was the starting QB. Keenum will be a starting quarterback some where next year.

18. dolphins4 says:
    February 9, 2018 at 4:59 pm

__________

Actually, the Vikings’ offense came to life in the first game of the season. Keenum became the starting quarterback in Week 2, and there were a lot of ups and downs until later in the season when he became consistent. He is a very good quarterback but the Vikings have other options that won’t cost nearly as much.

19. I see Keenum and Bradford heading out the door, not necessarily for more money but because they want a fresh start. That leaves 14 TD”s Bridgewater as the starter.

Good luck with that.

20. whatjusthapped says:
    February 9, 2018 at 5:31 pm

Good luck with that.

—–

Keenum had 24 TD’s over 4 years prior to last year… So what’s your point??

21. In two years, guess how many times Teddy threw the ball on first and goal?

Six.

Five of those passes went for touchdowns.

I’m guessing Rodgers throws the ball on first and goal a minimum of 30 times a season.

That might have a little to do with the touchdown numbers.

22. “I’m going to have some say and I’m going to have as much say as they want me to … I’m going to leave no stone unturned,” DeFilippo said,
    _____________________
    Uh oh. He’s supposed to be knocking on doors, not overturning stones. Who was the last successful QB you found underneath a stone? Kurt Warner?

23. Who was the last successful QB you found underneath a stone? Kurt Warner?”
    *****************************************************
    Case Keenum is who!
    I see Minnesota signing Keenum, and Johnny Flip works his Magic on him, who knows?
    It makes sense because he has stated Athleticism is important, CHECK, Minnesota needs to sew up their Free Agent Defenders, Signing Keenum will cost 1/2 as much as Cousins and personally I believe if keenum works out the bugs (like going off the reservation at times getting rattled) and work in the weight room on his arm strength, He will just keep getting better, if not go for Foles year after. This will save enough cap to resign Barr and company. I also believe Bridgewater would rather stay with Minnesota, and if DeFilippo gets his hands on him who knows how much potential Teddy has?
    Everybody seems to forget how good Teddy looked at the end of 2015 and pre-season 2016!

24. No way in any universe is Case Keenum worth 24 mil. Do not franchise him! TB can’t throw deep. People forget that but it’s just a fact. His deep balls sail and that leads to tipped passes, INT’s. Bradford is awesome. He’s not very mobile though and who can trust that wonky knee to not go bad again. So what’s left in free agency. Cousins. He’s young & hasn’t reached his full potential yet and if Deflippo is the QB guru he’s said to be then it only makes since. Plus in a few yrs his contract will seem like low compared to the recent signings.

OK, so this is for Vikings fans who drink from the Paul Allen purple kool aid. 13-3 isn’t going to happen again. Case Keenum caught lighting in a bottle and then reverted back to form in the NFCCG. Aaron Rodgers will not be injured again. The Packers, Bears, Det will all play better. The Vikings will have a tougher schedule. They Vikings had a golden opportunity against a back up QB and they blew it by being out coached, out played and man handled. Do you really believe they will have this shot again? Not very likely.

25. I hear about Cousins to the Vikings but I haven’t heard a price tag yet. I would not want him making $20-30 million a year. Washington mismanaged this guy and way overpaid him. He said it is about winning now not money. So what is he asking for moneywise?

26. The real concern besides not having a franchise QB is the fact that the defense choked on the big stage , the Packers and Lions moving ahead already with coaching improvements and the Bears just need a go to receiver , the Vikings need a QB and have to fix a defense that can’t perform when it counts. That’s a lot to ask for .