Christian Fauria suspended from radio job for racist Don Yee impression

Getty Images

Former Patriots tight end Christian Fauria has been suspended from his Boston radio job for a racist on-air impression of agent Don Yee.

Fauria was trying to make a joke during a discussion on WEEI of Boston Herald columnist Ron Borges’ column about Tom Brady, which was based on a hoax text from someone pretending to be Yee. Borges got suspended from the Herald for the bogus column, and now Fauria has been suspended from WEEI for his impression of Yee.

“Earlier today during his show, Christian Fauria impersonated athlete agent, Don Yee in an insensitive and ill-conceived attempt at humor. We regret Christian’s commentary and we apologize to Mr. Yee and those offended by the segment,” WEEI said in a statement. “We do not support or condone Christian’s comments, and we have suspended him for five days effective immediately.”

On the air, Fauria began by saying, “I’m gonna be Don Yee. For me, I don’t know why, Don Yee sounds like an Asian guy.” He then proceeded to speak in a stereotypical Asian accent, while his co-hosts laughed like it was the funniest thing they’d ever heard, and music typical of Asian martial arts movies played on the air. The sketch wasn’t funny, unless you think, “Haha, let’s laugh at an Asian-American” is funny.

WEEI did not say anything about disciplining the other hosts who laughed, or the producer who played that music. Fauria later apologized on Twitter.

“Earlier today I made a horrible attempt at humor. In a segment during the show, I impersonated agent Don Yee in an insensitive and regrettable way. I want to publicly apologize to Don and anyone in the audience who heard it,” Fauria wrote. “I have also reached out to Don directly to personally apologize. I have been disciplined by WEEI management and I fully support their decision.”

Fauria played for the Patriots from 2002 to 2005. He also played in Seattle, Washington and Carolina.

79 responses to “Christian Fauria suspended from radio job for racist Don Yee impression

1. “impersonated agent Don Yee in an insensitive and regrettable way” he should have just said “in a racist and regrettable way”. If he made a black fried chicken joke he’d be fired. But since it’s just asians five days is enough.

2. .
    I didn’t hear the piece and I’m not condoning anything. However, the lines become unclear when “Family Guy” is a top rated show for over a decade, but we throw the book at their imposters.

3. mcnabbster says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:22 am
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

100% correct

4. It’s getting crazy. Yes it does sound funny when someone is impersonating an Asian, just as much as it would be if an Asian was impersonating an American.

Just ridiculous.

5. next thing you know, they are going to suspend the actors on Saturday Night Live for making fun of people…

6. Agree with mcnabbster. Had he made a similar comment about a black person then it’d have been insta fired but since it was an Asian guy (who by the way speaks perfect English) it’s only a week suspension. Ridiculous.

7. It’s called a joke,snowflakes. Watch a 70’s sitcom rerun such as All in the Family or Sanford and Son for example. Your over sensitive head will explode and you will run to your safe place

8. You don’t get fired for mocking Asians because they are generally a successful people in America. Therefore, they are not very high in the victim-class hierarchy – even though they are minorities.

9. How long before TV networks edit out the last scene of Christmas Story where Ralphie and family end up at the Chinese restaurant. So lame.

10. Is it offensive because it was a foreign accent or is it offensive because it was a foreign non-white accent? Believe me, I’m not one of these “why isn’t there a white history month?” or “why don’t white lives matter?” idiots, let’s get that out of the way. But there is a troubling lack of consistency in matters of what’s acceptable or not in the arenas of race and ethnicity. I don’t say it because I feel like white people are getting screwed over in any way, but I think you have to have that consistency for less enlightened/sympathetic white folks. Like is that not the automatic retort? “Well why can they say X, Y, or Z and nobody trips, but if a white guys says it, it’s a huge fiasco?” I honestly feel like that’s a huge obstacle between everyone. I understand the power structure in America and that white people essentially still constitute the “ruling class”, and that is absolutely a problem. But the most resistant white people seem hung up on everything being even and fair (ironically enough).

So call out Fauria for his Asian impression, especially since it wasn’t even an accurate one. But also call out men and women of color for doing the same, you absolutely have to have that consistency to make this a way of life. Asian accents are one of the most commonly (and poorly) imitated accents by EVERYONE. I can think of three instances of black men as actors or comedians doing it, just off the top of my head: Dave Chappelle, DL Hughley, and Mike Epps, and it’s just considered funny. I don’t mean to single out black men, those are just the examples I had thought of. And people impersonate all kinds of accents of all cultures ALL THE TIME: Irish, English, Russian, Italian, Australian….are those off limits for everybody too? You just can’t say “ok, no impersonating accents, unless you’re not white or they’re from predominantly white countries.” You just can’t. I think it’s tragic that we even need to be worrying about racism, but Larry the Cable Guy from the trailer park is who you need to convince and get on board, not me. I’m not saying this to sound insensitive, I’m saying that I think you need to know your audience and, sadly, have to cater to, the lowest common denominator to erase this as a social issue, because otherwise they’ll just reject everything on the grounds that it’s inequality versus them.

11. He is a sports radio host. He isn’t a comedian so maybe he should stick to sports talk and not make jokes about people ethnicity. If we want our athletes to stick to sports why doesn’t that logic apply to all professions?

12. Nofoolnodrool says:
    February 10, 2018 at 8:10 am
    Another example of racist behavior from NE…..hardly a surprise. For an area wanting to be viewed as so classy and educated this is one of many epic fails.

Good comment. There is very little class in New England.

13. Why wasn’t bomani Jones suspended or fired from espn for wearing an offensive t shirt degrading white people
    Where was the outrage?

14. Time to ban all the WWII movies that refer to Japs and Germans. Or maybe just ban TV entirely and have the government pay for everyone to be wrapped in bubble wrap so no one gets their feeliez hurt or panties in a bunch. We’ve become a nation of wimps. SMH

15. Whites/European Americans are allowed to be mocked and made fun of all the time without anyone batting an eye. Not saying any of it is right, but the social justice warriors are hypocrites.

16. It’s interesting that so many on this site are so sensitive and so offended but have no problem painting an entire region with such a broad brush.

17. newpairofsox says:
    February 10, 2018 at 8:27 am

Amazing to think that in 2018 there are still people who find that sort of thing humorous.
    _______________________

Hell yeah, I watch Family Guy and the Simpsons on a regular basis.

18. Sports radio in Boston is WEEI and 98.5. That’s it.
    Both feature buffoons making with the laughs.
    I think they’re confused and not so secretly would prefer careers in comedy.

The reason they’re not is they suck at it.

19. Always seems to be a lot of that going around with Boston even though they’ll swear they don’t have a problem with racism when you call them on it. SMH. It’s not funny when real comedians are lazy and do it, so safe to say that it’s not when people who aren’t funny at all fall back on that crutch.

20. chuckshontaspads says:
    February 10, 2018 at 11:09 am

Yup, and the curious part is they can’t see it, or are flat out comfy in their hypocrisy.

21. God forbid, some people need to get a life. What is wrong with impersonating an accent? Comedians do it all the time, or at least they used to. There is a difference between jokes which reference race or ethnicity, and jokes or comments that are racist. If we can no longer tell the difference between these, our society will be perpetually embroiled in racial strife.

One of the funniest jokes I remember hearing (about race but not racist) was told by Bob Newhart: I’ll risk repeating it here and see what happens: How do you know your home has been broken into by a Chinese gang? If your dog is gone and your kid’s math homework is done!

I laughed out loud at that one when I first heard it decades ago. Today that joke will never be told in public.

22. Here we go again. Tighten your belts snowflakes. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

23. Good, the days of mocking races at others expense is finally ending. I’m sick of idiots who see nothing wrong with this. It’s always the privileged white guys whos race have not experienced racism, name calling, slavery and oppression that would allow this.

24. You want to goof around like that with your friends, that’s one thing. But most of us were told growing up that you’re supposed to be on your best behavior when you’re out in public. Whatever you think about Fauria’s joke, it wasn’t the right way to behave in public. He gets it and he’s fine with being sent to his room. This is not some litmus test about PC or whether Americans have a sense of humor.

25. The people saying what’s wrong with impersonating an accent seem to not get that Yee doesn’t have one, thus why this is racist. But I don’t expect you’d get it since that this is funny to you reveals plenty.

26. fareandbalanced says:
    February 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Everyone in this world is laughing at us. Suck it up America your too sensitive!

************

Everyone in the world is laughing at us? And your evidence for that is what?

27. This out of control. When people make fun of me because of my Italian last name (I’m a mix of alot but my name), I laugh necausr it’s funny. It’s a roast…a joke. And for this guy to have to apologize. It’s pathetic. PATHETIC. Should Spielberg be made to apologize for his stereotypical portrayal of a smart Asian child in The Goonies? There is a difference between poking fun and racism. And i lean more liberal than anything. Put your big boy pants on people. This is officially out of control.

28. He wasn’t fired because clearly somebody knew this was going to happen. They had martial arts music cued up?

Fall guy.

Plus can this country please obtain a sense of humor? Pretty soon comedians will be out of work.

29. fareandbalanced says:
    February 10, 2018 at 2:21 pm
    ——————-

Everyone is laughing at for for different reasons, and it starts at the top.

30. jimmysee says:
    February 10, 2018 at 4:08 pm
    Cheap shot by a white guy. Fire his butt on the spot.

First, Christian is mulatto, I’m pretty sure. Second, my sister in law is full blooded Chinese and we go back and forth with the ethnic barbs all the time and the laughter is non-stop. If the idiots who can’t laugh at ethnic jokes weren’t so damned militant I would pity them.

31. Funny he gets suspended for this occasion. It’s not the first time he’s done it. I’ve heard it from him before on at least 2 other occasions.

32. He may be guilty of being insensitive and being a knucklehead. I guess being suspended for a few days is probably ok to tell him to be more careful.
    Lest anyone screams, I am a minority as well but I wouldn’t take offense to someone mimicking my accent as long as it wasn’t demeaning or truly racist.

33. chuckshontaspads says:
    February 10, 2018 at 11:09 am

=================================================================================

And how many defending this were throwing stones at Philly in the last week?

34. It is offensive because Asians are trying to get beyond the kung fu music/can’t pronounce L stereotype which many believe is true of all asians and judge them as less intelligent and capable of work because of it.

Mocking a group of upper class British would not be offensive because that group does not have a history of struggle and prejudice.