Scott Fujita rips WEEI for racist Don Yee caricature

Getty Images

A former NFL player has weighed in with some strong words for Boston sports radio station WEEI, which ran a racist sketch about NFL player agent Don Yee on Friday.

Former NFL linebacker Scott Fujita, whose father is Japanese-American, took to Twitter to point out that even as WEEI apologized for host Christian Fauria mocking Yee with a stereotypically Asian-American accent, other station personnel seemed to think it was all a funny joke.

“Yet you still posted the audio on social media, & Fauria’s co-hosts supported with laughter. Instead of simply apologizing for ‘Christian’s commentary,’ maybe take a hard look at WEEI’s obvious lack of awareness & continued ignorance in emboldening careless commentary. Do better,” Fujita wrote on Twitter.

Asian-Americans have often been underrepresented in professional sports. Maybe Fauria and his WEEI colleagues thought that meant they could get away with a racist Asian-American caricature. They shouldn’t get away with it, and Fujita is right to condemn it.

42 responses to “Scott Fujita rips WEEI for racist Don Yee caricature

1. It wasn’t even funny imo. Some can do a great hillarious asian accent with some quality material, like Jo Koy on adam carollas show. Genuinely funny, these was just some unfunny hacks.

2. Why wouldn’t they think it’s okay? The President of the United States routinely rails against people using racist slander.

3. Let’s just stick to making fun of white men…… there doesn’t seem to be any issues with that type of racism.

4. Eagles fans threw snowballs at a guy in a bad Santa suite over 40 years ago, and are portrayed as jerks.
    Boston/NE fans have a long history of being raciest, but what always comes up?
    The snowballs.

5. Asian-Americans have often been underrepresented in professional sports.

If you are good enough to play pro sports, and that is your desire, you will play pro sports.
    Race/color/creed is not a factor in pro sports.
    But you already know that.

6. Scott Fujita is right, but after the last few years, people feel political correctness is some kind of ideology that has turned people into snowflakes. I don’t really understand why people buy into this crap. If you are offended by political correctness do me a favor and shut up when someone takes a knee or any number of other political footballs being tossed around these days by politicians looking to divide Americans rather than working together…

7. patsardone says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm
    Boston/NE fans have a long history of being raciest, but what always comes up?
    The snowballs.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Stop now.

Eagles beat the Pats fair and square. Congrats on a great win. Cherish and enjoy it.

Do not start comparing the two.

The Eagles employed a bad dressed Santa to get abused that way because the real one wasn’t available. So blame them.

8. Scott W. Black says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:21 pm

………………….
    Like when Hillary Clinton said she uses hot sauce to a crowd of mostly black folk? Or called black youth, super predators??

9. oiler1980 says:

Not an Eagles employee, just a drunk guy wearing a Santa suit.
    But if him being employed by the team fits your narrative, have at it.
    How many other things you are completely wrong about?

10. There is always someone out there that will cry and whine over every little thing said. Not so much because they are offended. They are just looking for attention and 15 seconds of fame.

11. Technically it’s prejudiced and not racist. Also the top comments in the last post about this were talking about PC culture and how the country is now “soft” and what not, and it got me thinking, why is it that the culture’s majority always see these things as “weak” or “soft”? It’s soft because the minorities are now being vocal about these things? Also in comparison to the country’s history, if minority cultures taking a stand is a sign of the country being weak, the only logical outcome is that the times of open prejudice and bigotry is what they mean about the country being “tough.”

Just founn that interesting but with that aside, you can make stereotypical jokes and be funny. This here however was just random, inappropiate and immature.

12. deuce22222 says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:23 pm

——————-

poor white men..they never get a fair shake!

13. Racist jokes are funny and always have been, thats why there have always been so many of them….deal with it people. You SJW’s would have had to hide under a rock back in the 70’s and 80’s.

14. The man was suspended for God’s sake. Let it go already.

Fujita is just looking for a way to be relevant again.

15. edon8334 says:
    February 10, 2018 at 8:57 pm

poor white men..they never get a fair shake!

===========

Everyone has a justification for it at the start. Then before you know it, it becomes the harmful norm.

If we’re not better than this, than we’re no better than the oppressor, just incidentally without as much power for the moment. And on it goes…

16. unreal…so now comedic things are taboo..race/religion are gonna be the down fall of us.the sooner we realize we’re all the same and can make fun of our differences the better

17. edukator44 says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:27 pm

lets just get back to marginalizing and stereotyping everyone. life was way more enjoyable in the 90s

You should have been around for the 70’s and 80’s. Back when Polish light bulb and blonde jokes were all the rage.

18. TheWizard says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:36 pm

One example please.

159

—–

Apparently 96 people have examples. Let’s see ’em…

19. “Asians are underrepresented in pro sports.” Ok let’s parse this intelligently. “Underrepresented” because the ratio of Asians making the cut in training camp is worse than for other ethnicities? That would be the only reason to be upset. Butb in reality, for whatever reason, Asians don’t choose to enter sports at the same rate as other ethnicities. Big effing deal. Women don’t apply for most bricklayer jobs. Men don’t apply for most nursing jobs. Etc, etc… And it’s totally fine. I’m so sick of people saying their particular group is victimized because they perceive “inequality of outcome.” Because um, news flash people: Equality of OPPORTUNITY is American freedom, but equality of OUTCOME is communism.

20. patsardone says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm
    Boston/NE fans have a long history of being raciest, but what always comes up?
    The snowballs.
    ———————-
    Maybe because you just made it up…nice screen name too, I guess we know where you are coming from.

21. I didn’t think the segment was all that funny, I’m not laughing at the impression. Don Yee doesn’t speak in that kind of accent, it’s ignorant to suggest that he does, I get it.

What I’ll never understand is the broader context of what is offensive and why. The idea that a mere word or non-tangible action with no real life impact should be cause for uproar is just baffling to me. I can’t imagine ever moving off that position, that whole concept is a non-starter for me. I don’t even believe in the concept of swearing, you can’t just decide a word is “bad”, that’s absurd. Who even makes that call? Human society as a whole has a LONG way to go before I respect it enough to consider altering my behavior for it.

Short, abridged story: I don’t come from Candyland. I lived in a very destitute area growing up. I was probably the only white kid for two square miles. My neighbors, friends, classmates…almost entirely black or West indian. So believe me when I say I’ve had racial slurs hurled at me, or had negative and demeaning assumptions made about me. Now, I’d never compare that to the overall experience of being a minority America, once I left the neighborhood I was on Easy Street, I get that. But I’m saying I’ve had enough of a taste of being singled out and mocked for looking and acting differently to know how that feels. In retrospect, I think a lot of them were goofing around and busting my stones, like I think Fauria was. Fauria, by the way, has a schtick on air where he does all these stupid accents, and they’re terribly done, and you laugh at it. He calls out of town stations in a phony Boston accent that is absolutely cringeworthy to a native like myself with a real accent. I don’t really believe in the concept of, or at least the validity of, being offended….but if I did, I’d be “offended” by that accent, haha. Also, not for nothing, he’s not even white, he’s wicked multiracial, they joke about that too. What’s dumb is that they’re trying to make amends with Tom Brady after another personality insulted his daughter (also way overblown, but still), and now they insult his agent. Tough look for WEEI.
    And back to the overall…are we supposed to pretendnational accents don’t exist? Is it offensive to imitate them? Is only offensive depending on what the people look like? Is it only racial/ethnic, or are we supposed to be offended by regional accents too? No more obligatory tough guy New York Italian cops on TV shows? Are Boston crime dramas out? Stuff with southern accents?

Point is: the rules HAVE TO be the same across the board or no one will take it seriously.

22. We can’t live in a world this tense. We need to preach some level of tolerance in addition to all our zero tolerance ranting. We can chose to reject something that offends us without making a federal offense out if it. There is a huge difference between saying something stupid and being a person filled with hate and prejudice. BTW the media has a lot to do with this problem. The fact that people occasionally say stupid things is not news.

23. patsardone says:
    February 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm
    Boston/NE fans have a long history of being raciest, but what always comes up?
    The snowballs.

Would you rather we talked about what happened to the Philly row houses in a black neighborhood back in 85? There’s more to talk about than snowballs, in EVERY city. But yeah, make like it’s only Boston