Alex Smith “jacked” about how things worked out

Getty Images

Neither the trade sending him to Washington nor the four-year extension he’s agreed to can become official for more than a month, but Alex Smith isn’t letting that get in the way of his planning.

Smith said on the Murph & Mac podcast last week that he and his wife have already been scouting out possible places to live once he’s officially a member of the Redskins.

“I’m jacked. I’m really excited,” Smith said, via the Washington Post. “Once I found out that things in Kansas City were going in a different direction, I was pumped at the opportunity, and when Washington came calling I was hopeful that that was a possible destination, and I’m just jacked that it worked out. They wanted me because the feeling was mutual, and I’m looking forward to it.”

Smith will be playing his 13th NFL season in 2018 and he’s heard from people who think he is on the back end of his playing career. Smith, who stands to make up to $94 million under the terms of his proposed extension, does not feel that way and said he “can’t see the horizon at this point.” A good first season with his new team will likely push thoughts of retirement over the horizon for others as well.

51 responses to “Alex Smith “jacked” about how things worked out

1. I really like Alex Smith, and always thought he got a raw deal. I hope he does well in Washington.

That said–and I seriously hope I’m wrong here–I don’t see this ending well. Smith has limited arm talent and if a play breaks down he can only turn a negative into a positive with his running. He’s not a “playmaker”, per se. His best years were when playing for Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid, two coaches known for being able to maximize the ability of their quarterbacks.

In Washington, with that fat contract and their total lack of offensive identity, Smith will be expected to become a franchise quarterback. The Savior. And when he starts playing like, you know, Alex Smith–smart, heady, but otherwise nothing special–the fans will get restless and want change. My prediction is the Redskins will draft a QB in 2019 like all Alex Smith teams eventually do.

It pains me to type that.

2. I think if there’s a defining trait to Smith’s career, it’s the misfortune to always end up on teams that never bother to build complete offenses.

3. I always thought Smith was underrated but he doesn’t have Hunt, Hill and Kelce to work with in DC. Going to be a tough adjustment. I do think the Skins will be OK. They can pick up some FA’s to help him.

4. kevpft says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:45 am

9 4 Rate This

In Reid’s case, he actually had a complete offense but, in Reid fashion, decided that running the ball didn’t make sense when you have one of the 3 best RB’s in football.

5. Alex Smith has been a great quarterback with a mediocre coach the past 5 years. Andy Reid underutilized his skills. He won’t have that problem with Jay Gruden.

6. Seldom, in the history of the NFL, has a player been paid as much as Alex Smith for such a limited return on him as an investment. Sam Bradford also comes to mind. Both are *extremely* fortunate that they got into the league before the rookie salary cap.

7. I am a Redskins fan and see no upside to an old, barely serviceable QB who has lost five of seven preseason games; and he is not the reason that the Chiefs were any good – it was all their defense and their offensive line.

I firmly believe that Smith won’t make it through a season with the Redskins since that offensive line is some of the worst ever created – they are snowflakes – they are speedbumps to pass rushing – and there is no running game because these clowns can’t block.

This team was so fortunate to win as many games as they did with Cousins – without him this team is easily a three win team year in and year out.

Fail, jerk. I’ll be dancing on your grave.

8. Gosh, imagine how “jacked” Smith would be if the Skins actually got him someone to catch any of the balls he throws. That has to be the worst collection of receivers in the entire NFL.

9. PhD says:
    February 11, 2018 at 12:45 pm
    ______________________________________________________________________________

As a Chiefs fan I disagree. Smith led us to 5 winning seasons. Lots of fantastic wins and heartbreaking losses. Only 1 team wins it all every year and the vast majority of NFL QBs don’t get a ring or a chance. I enjoy football from Sept-January, not just one sunday in February.

10. ken Davis that’s nice hyperbole saying the chiefs had 1 of 3 best rb in football but that’s not accurate. Mccoy, Zeke, Gurley are better than Hunt just off the top of my head. Hunt is good but everyone just remembers his big games at the beginning of the season cause it was primetime. Top 10 rb? Yes, he is. Top 3? No way.

11. Pulling for this guy. He did it right while he was here in SF and never made excuses with all the coaching changes. I admire his “shut your mouth and just play the game” attitude.
    Alex Smith is quite refreshing in this regard.

12. “ackattack22 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 12:55 pm
    Gosh, imagine how “jacked” Smith would be if the Skins actually got him someone to catch any of the balls he throws. That has to be the worst collection of receivers in the entire NFL.”

Oh, I dunno–have you ever seen the “receivers” that the Bears have? They drop more balls than they catch.

13. Before I posted something negative I remembered two things, Nick Foles and Case Keenum. Good luck Alex, maybe you will be the next one to show the naysayers a thing or two.

14. Don’t expect Alex Smith to win a game when his team is behind and there is two minutes or less left to play, at least not more frequently than once every blue moon.

15. Wow did I actually just read the word ‘Redskins’ in a PFT article??? I guess time to start preparing for doomsday, it appears to be upon us.

16. I’m jacked as Chiefs fan that he is gone. We would never win a Super Bowl with him. We might not win with Mahomes but we knew we wouldn’t with Smith. It is about the things he doesn’t do, like throw to open receivers further than three yards downfield. Sorry Redskins but you will not go to a Super Bowl with him. He has to have everything around him perfect. He would have to have a early 2000s type Ravens defense to go. Washington way, way overpaid him. He’s a good guy and all but not,elite.

17. By all accounts Alex Smith is a nice guy, and he’s a good quarterback, so I feel as bad for him as I possibly can for anyone guaranteed to make tens of millions of dollars.

Smith has no idea the kind of painful, absurd, career-killing buzzsaw he is about to sign up for. He will play a starring role in the latest Lil Danny Production of a Bruce “Winning Off the Field” Allen football horror story:

Lil Danny’s Dumpster Fire 2018: 20th Anniversary Edition, No End in Sight!!!

18. alex smith is actually pretty good. he’s more a winner than kirk cousins. what the hell has kirk ever won playoff wise? im listening……

19. Sam Bradford also comes to mind. Both are *extremely* fortunate that they got into the league before the rookie salary cap.

Bradford got a deal that included $50M guaranteed as a rookie. He was one of the reasons that system needed fixing. $50M without even playing a down in the NFL.

20. alex blows, and as of right now, is a back up to kirk.who ever they draft this year will take the job soon. wheel in the sky keeps on turnin

21. red says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:27 am
    I will record myself eating horse crap if an Alex Smith led team ever wins a Super Bowl.

—————
    Nick Foles wants to take that bet.

22. Ultraviolet Thunder says:
    February 11, 2018 at 12:48 pm
    I am a Redskins fan and see no upside to an old, barely serviceable QB who has lost five of seven preseason games….

….I hope Smith fails – I will root against him just like I did against the Great Gimmick – I will celebrate every loss and rub the noses of the Cousins’ haters in that mess.

Fail, jerk. I’ll be dancing on your grave.“
    ———-

Wow. You’ll root against your own QB? I mean I’ve seen people in love with Kirk, but for real?

23. Poor guy has no idea what level of dysfunction he just entered.

Note to agents: Take note of how Fed Ex Field is shrinking and warn your clients about the sinking ship that is the Redskins. Snyder has literally removed more than half the upper deck (10,0000 seats since 2010) because fans are revolting and no longer supporting him financially. Season Ticket waiting list? I dont think so. If Alex Smith makes it to the end of his contract he will be playing in a 2 level stadium. Google the images, its hilarious.

24. KC gets rid of Smith but keeps Reid. HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Enjoy Mahomes KC, you are hanging your hat on a couple of pre-season games and potential, and we all know what potential means….

25. People who claim that Alex Smith would have won the Super Bowl for the 49ers forgot that Smith failed to quarterback his team to the Super Bowl. In order to win it, you have to get your team there. Kap did not win the Super Bowl, but at least he guided his team to the Super Bowl, beating Asaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan in the process. Smith has also failed to even reach the Conference championship game while he was in KC. The Redskins just gave up on winning the SB by trading for Alex Smith. He may get the Skins into the playoffs but that is the ceiling of his success.

26. Redskins can be sub .500 with or without Kirk Cousins. Redskins got swept by Philly and Dallas last year.

Build a real defense Redskins.

27. The irony(Is that the word I am looking for) is that Alex Smith feels like an underappreciated player, and is jacked about how he is replacing another under appreciated player.

The only reason things worked out this way, is that the Redskins didnt have faith in Cousins as a long term answer… So they decided to franchise Cousins, rather than pay him a fair contract 2 years ago. After that, they backed themselves into a corner because they had to negotiate against higher and higher franchise tags.

28. It took Andy Reid 5 years to scheme Alex into a good season, and he STILL choked in the playoffs, at home. Again. He can get your team back to respectability, but that’s his ceiling. What other QB on any level of football have you heard of that didn’t have a passing TD to a WR the whole season? A wishbone QB, maybe.

29. I would be jacked to get out of Kansas City. But I wouldn’t be jacked to play for Dan Snyder. The winner in all of this will be Cousins. Because he will be able to get the hell out of Washington.

30. “can’t see the horizon at this point.” ? Trust me, as bad as the Redskins O-line is, Alex Smith won’t be see much of anything but a hospital room when he starts playing for the Redskins

31. Alex is a great team guy.

Alex does not make the players around him better.

Everyone else on the team must play mistake-free in order for the team to win with Alex. And you better hope the defense has been working on their cardio, they are going to be on the field a lot.

32. PhD says:

February 11, 2018 at 12:45 pm

————————–
    Jamarcus Russell got $30 million guaranteed! Give me Alex or Bradford any day!