Lane Johnson: Eagles players have fun, Patriots players have fear

Getty Images

Eagles offensive lineman Lane Johnson won a Super Bowl ring and had fun doing it — something he doesn’t think the guys on the other side of the field could say.

Johnson said on Pardon My Take that the culture on the Eagles is one of a bunch of guys having a great time playing together, while the culture on the Patriots is of players fearing the consequences if they don’t do as they’re told.

“I just think that The Patriot Way is a fear-based organization,” Johnson said, via NESN. “Obviously, do they win? Hell yes, they win. They’ve won for a long time. Do I think people enjoy and can say, ‘I had a lot of fun playing there’? No, I don’t. That’s just the God’s honest truth. They’re successful, but when they go to interviews, they act like [expletive] robots. Hey, stop being a [expletive]head. We can be cordial for a little bit. You only get to do this job one time, so let’s have fun while we’re doing it. Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

The Eagles certainly looked like they were having fun on Super Bowl Sunday, and throughout the week since then.

206 responses to “Lane Johnson: Eagles players have fun, Patriots players have fear

1. Yeah Gronk is always miserable and I’ve never seen Edelman or Amendola, or past guys like Wilfork, ever laugh… The Pats are serious about football but have plenty of time outside of football for their fun. Try to win with a little class Eagles, it was a close game, Cooks’ injury was huge, and one of those 2 close TD calls could/should have been overturned but all the Pats players and org do is congrat you for playing better. So try to win with grace – anyway, who was fearing who when Eagles ran a fake walkthrough?

2. As a fan And not a player fun is for clowns I would take 5 Lombardi’s in 17 years than one so called fun one in nearly 60 years ,,that’s speaking as a fan !

3. There is a job to do and you can’t blame an organization for trying to do it as professional and to-the-point as possible.

The track record speaks for itself.

4. streetyson says:
    Try to win with a little class Eagles, it was a close game

The pats were favored by 5 and lost by 8, I think that was a bigger margin than any of the pats SB wins. But thanks for playing.

5. That’s a comment coming from a player whose team had no expectations and no sustained period of excellence. In contrast the Patriots players, coaches, ownership, and fans have come to expect that they should win the Superbowl every year, and if they do not, then they have failed. Lane Johnson is right that the Patriots players don’t feel the same way that the Eagles do, but he’s wrong that it is about fear. Rather, the Patriots have learned what it feels like to grind through an entire season and then get gut-punched by losing the Superbowl. They are willing to defer their joy until after the event, with the goal of doing everything they possibly can to prepare themselves for the game.

It’s not fear, it’s focus.

6. He should be happy about his Eagles, but mind his own business. Maybe he should ask Julan Edelman if he loves being a Patriot. He might be surprised by the answer.

7. It will be hell in Philly from here on out,,,, if your a fan of another team who possesses multiple Lombardi’s in their case you are told stop living in the past ,I would like to know when the the past begins for the iggles !

8. Umm.,,shouldn’t one play for the Patriots first before voicing observations? But then again no Patriot would ever step in front of a 🎤 and behave like that. Fear probably isn’t the reason though. Thanks Lame for your version of adulthood.

9. I love the Pats fan who boasts about 5 in 17 years … Packers did 3 in a row and 5 in 7 (that’s SEVEN) years. …and it’s not the Pack’s fault that (insert your team’s name here) is an expansion franchise that didn’t exist when the Pack were winning their 13 NFL titles.

Hey, the Eagles earned their bragging rights for a year. Patriot fans just need to go sit in the corner for a year and shut up. Your guys didn’t just lose, they got beat. That happens. It doesn’t alter the fact that BB, Brady and the Pats are a really, really good team and franchise with a history and a legacy. They’ve earned that. Patriot fans did nothing but watch the franchise develop that history and legacy – so they need to give it a rest. The Pats lost guys. They didn’t win. It wasn’t their game to lose or any other equivocation you’re using these days. They got beat by the better team on THAT Sunday. No biggie, it doesn’t lessen their relevance. Your guys got to the Super Bowl – what’s not to be proud of? My Packers didn’t and looked pretty bad in the process of NOT getting there. So I say, just shut up guys.

10. hate him if you like. but the players like playing for pederson. and it shows in how they play.

and to the pat fan with the excuses (cooks, two calls on the tds) how about the tuck game, or the touchdown the refs gave the pats to end the first half against the jags (changed the game) or any number of calls that went the patriots way?. and you are right the real fear was the patriots history of cheating.

11. streetyson says:

February 11, 2018 at 7:16 am

——–
    More excuses about injuries and refs. If it weren’t for the refs, the Pats would have been 10-6 and never made it to the SB.

12. And when the Eagles struggle to even get in the playoffs next year, I’m sure Johnson will be having all the fun he can handle.

13. thesoupman says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:27 am
    Good grief. Somehow, in one short week, the Eagles have become more smug, insufferable winners than the Patriots.

————

My mom’s family is from Buffalo and my dad’s family is from Boston. I have a front row view to the smugness and arrogance of the majority of the Patriots fanbase. Brady and Belichick on the other handle winning like true professionals, always complementing the other team for a tough game.

The Patriots dominance of the Bills has been legendary but I can’t remember a single win where they had anything to bad to say about us after a Win.

14. jlgmr777 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:27 am
    How does he know what the NE Patriot culture is? Has he ever played for them? Don’t think so!

——————————————————————————————-

Lane Johnson has been around. It’s very likely he knows players that have played there. I have also heard these same types of remarks from other players.

15. The look on brady’s face as he weaseled his way off of the field as time ran out speaks volumes. Brady was still able to run away from Foles, gotta give him that. Did you see his wife holding the baby and hurling one f-bomb after another. Class family.

16. Um, did I miss something or did this guy play for the Patriots? Has he ever spent an hour in the Patriots locker room? No I didn’t think so. So I’m guessing he’s yakking about stuff he knows nothing about. I do know the Patriots have been to 8 Super Bowls under Belichick/Brady. Can’t do that and be afraid. So Lane just hush up an enjoy your one super bow win.

17. Obviously his own two teammates had nothing but good things to say about NE. Blount even came back there after the Pitt debacle.

Lane Johnson is just using his 15 min of fame to throw some shade.

18. Once we are done bashing the Patriots for not having enough fun we can go back to bashing Gronk, Amendola, Edelman, and a few other favorites for having too much fun.

19. We’ve seen this before. A team wins one SB and all of a sudden here’s come’s the advice.

Take a lesson from Seattle or Carolina. Get over your bad selves. Enjoy your victory but let the other teams do it their way. When you’ve won 5 or 6, then you can preach. Not that NE players preach much but you get the idea. They all loved you when you were the enemy of their enemy but that’s changed now. You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain.

20. He is 100% lying through his teeth saying he’d rather win one super bowl the way the Eagles did this year rather than 5 over the course of his career, regardless of the circumstances. What a tool

21. I’d say Lane hit that nail on the head. And another thing, look how many fans around the country also had fun last Sunday. Ha!

22. Fear is a great short term motivator. If the threat is strong it breeds compliance, then resentment, then resistance, then rebellion. Eventually fear works against the person causing it.

In the long term, respect both ways is the best motivator. It has short term consequences because it takes a lot of time to build. It’s the only motivator that stands the test of time.

23. What a bunch of crap. The eagles have 2 or 3 plays go their way and now they know everything. The Patriots have won numerous times and now the eagles squeak by for one. What an idiot.

24. wte1 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:15 am
    Tom Brady congratulated the Eagles for winning graciously. I guess that didn’t last long.
    ——————————————————————————————

Tom Brady ran into the locker room like a spoiled little brat after losing.
    If he does it when he loses again next year, Carson Wentz should follow him to the locker room and drag him back onto the field.

25. Johnson apparently doesn’t remember when Edelman said to Belichick that he loved him. And that he would run through a wall for him. Apparently no free agents ever go there, and once every player is off contract, they run away.

What a tool.

26. I would think Eagle fans would rather have 5 Super Bowls. As they’re working to pay for tickets how much fun are they having? Don’t think thier concern is how much fun players are having (while making millions of dollars). What an idiot this guy is. Hope the concern on my team is not how much fun they’re going to have but how many Super Bowls they can win.

27. I think that is a lot of hogwash. The patriots did not show any sign of fear to me and they came close to winning. If the Zach Ertz touchdown was called back, and it should have been, then the Patriots would probably have won.

28. You tell me Gronkowski does not have fun? you tell me Brady does not have fun? You tell me Amendola and Edelman do not have fun? I’d tell you that that you just tried to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge.

29. Lane, you guys won 1 Super Bowl and now you talk smack about another team ? Gee, the Eagles were 7-9 and out of the playoffs the year before. Next year is not guaranteed, so if the Eagles struggle hope you have fun doing it.

30. Lane,

Like Kelce, you need to learn to lose with grace and win with dignity.

And you should probably not do any phone interviews. You need to keep the line open in case your clean urine dealer tries to call. #2Xcheater

Sincerely,
    Every other team’s fans. (A.K.A People who don’t eat horse droppings off the street)
    Stay Classy Philly

31. I wanted both teams to lose. My gripe with the Eagles is their fans. I know plenty of people with ugly tales to tell about how they were treated in Philly. Now for the players, if your enjoying this win so much, and I know it is a new thing, not something your familiar with, then enjoy the win, and keep your trap shut about other teams, players, and coachs.

32. One should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, it is much safer to be feared than loved.” Safer is better, too, because you won’t have to watch your back as much. People will be less likely to conspire against someone they fear than someone they love. – Machiavelli

Or something like that.

Such longtime success is hard to maintain when you let emotions run wild, because the fun will die down & the infighting will rise up. BB most certainly does push fear in The Patriot Way, but it’s helped maintain the greatest run in modern sports history.

33. Well seriously, how much fun can it be to knowingly sell out your honesty and integrity and sully the great game of football, even for a few Championships.

I can’t argue with the Patriots success, and I’m not even about to try.
    But, we’ve all seen the dishonest lengths and the culture of subverting the rules and norms that organization is willing to go through.
    And quite honestly, I think we’ve only seen the very tip of that iceberg.
    Their fans always cry foul, but deep down, I believe anyway, they know the truth.

Once again, congrats to the Eagles for beating the Patriots and for having a Damn fun time doing it.

34. at least the “robots” are smart enough to speak for themselves and let other teams handle their own business. it has worked pretty well.

35. Lot of talking for a team that was gifted a sb. This team is proving to be as classless as their fans. And lane you can cycle off now the season is over.

36. Apparently the Eagles..or most specifically, Lane Johnson, are still learning how to win. Can’t act like you have been there before if this isbthe only time. Better to just be quiet and show class, unless he is looking for his 15 minutes of fame because he thinks thet are 1 and done. Good luck with a first plave schedule.

37. Congratulations on being a SUPERBOWL CHAMPION and a great right tackle but as an EAGLES fan I would rather have you live in fear and win 5 superbowls than have fun and win 1. FLY EAGLES FLY

38. streetyson says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:16 am

190 203 Rate This

—————————————————————-
    Fake walkthrough? Very smart. No fear. We all know how the patriots cheat. You guys did it in the last super bowl we played. As far as injury goes, don’t even go there. We had more than our share. You’d sound salty. Now for the next 52 weeks or 12 months or 365 days the Eagles are the champions of the NFL. Now take your meds and go to bed.

39. You can win the odd Super Bowl here and there “having fun.” If you want to be a legitimate title contender ever single year for almost two decades like the Pats, you’d better be about business. This is the Patriot Difference. You’re not going to win it all every year. You might even fall short in a Super Bowl or three, as evidenced last weekend. And not for nothing, the ‘11 and ‘17 defenses weren’t fit to even reach a Super Bowl, and they did it anyway. I applaud that, I’m not ashamed of it. Congrats to the Eagles on a well-deserved and long-awaited championship, you earned it. But if you guys want to be a dynasty or even close to it, buckle down and get to work.

40. The Eagles beat the Pats & had fun – so what. As one poster said, Pats fans need to go in the corner & shut up til next yr. And they also need to clam up about the ” Brady is the GOAT anyway, & Cooks got hurt & Butler didn’t play” blah blah blah. Quit making excuses.

41. Woah woah woah. It was never the Patriots organization that were smug and insufferable winners, it was just their fans. I can say as a long life Bills fan; the Patriots players and organization as a whole are pretty classy winners.

______________________

That is a huge misrepresentation. Go take a look at the Patriots teams that got the 1st 3 rings. They were not classy in the least.

42. Eagles fan here. What the Patriots deal with is because of being so dominate for so long. I’m sure the first 3-4 years it WAS fun. Then the media puts unnecessary pressure to be a dynasty and it becomes a job. LANE Johnson is a great football player but maybe not so great at expressing or explaining things. People have accused the Pats of various cheating but all teams try to press the envelope and Coach Bilicheck has found ways to win and in the end that’s what the owners pay for:wins.

43. This guy has no idea what he’s talking about, but he is entitled to his opinion. I will take 8 SB’s and 5 championships with a reserved team attitude over 1 SB with what you call having fun. Maybe horse punching, pole climbing, street fighting, and stabbing your fellow fans is not the Patriot way. I must admit though, running in to cement walls is very creative

44. I’m happy for the Eagles players, but Lane shouldn’t be yapping “the God’s honest truth” when he has no actual knowledge of what it’s like to play for the Patriots. Did he watch the Super Bowl last year and see what happened at the end? That looked like straight-out joy to me, with a lot of players hugging Belichick and telling him they loved him. Some fear, huh?

I watch way too much football coverage on TV and see many of the Patriots players talking on local shows. They sure don’t seem fearful to me. There are several jokesters, too, like Devin McCourty, Julian Edelman, Gronk, and Danny Amendola for starters. But what they’ve learned through coaching and experience—experience Lane and most Eagles players don’t have yet—is that their “robotic” approach to answering reporters’ questions is a good strategy.

The Patriots do have fun, but they do it within a team-first, disciplined work environment. That’s the route to sustained success. Maybe Lane will learn that, or maybe he’ll continue to confuse discipline with fear. Only time will tell.

So Lane, enjoy your victory and get over your obsession with the Patriots. Talk about your team and don’t show your ignorance by talking about subjects your have no knowledge or experience of.

45. excusemewhileiwhipthisoutagain says:
    February 11, 2018 at 9:47 am

____________________

I kinda agree and I kinda don’t. The Patriots have generally never been loud-mouthed braggarts, whether it was the early or the later dynasty. However, the early dynasty did have the likes of Teddy Bruschi and Rodney Harrison, who always had that smug/sneer on their face. They’ll give lip service on “humility” with that “I’m humbler than you” sort of irony, which was incredibly grating.

The latter dynasty has been mostly youngsters who keep their head down. The closest that they have to a “swagger” is probably Edelman. Total baller, but he does wear that on his sleeve.

I’m not a fan of the Patriot public persona, but you have to admit that it means their mouths almost never write checks that they can’t cash on the field. It does come off as smug, but hey, at least they’re not like the Steelers talking about a rematch they can’t reach, or the Jaguars promising a title they can’t deliver. That kind of talk is nice red meat for the crowd, but football is too difficult and unforgiving. You’ll have egg on your face more often than not, for players and fans alike.

46. The New England Patriots have created the most successful culture that the game has ever seen. Yes, there is a fear of screwing up, yes there is discipline and yes, Coach Belichick doesn’t blab about the fun he has. However, sustained success doesn’t come easy, it requires hard work and accountability.
    Congratulations Lane Johnson and the Philadelphia Eagles on defying the odds to win the Super Bowl. Cheap shots that deride the Patriots culture of excellence that embraces a fear of losing should not be dismissed so lightly. Let’s see if you can get to another 7 Super Bowls like Belichick and Brady.

47. This is the facts about the NE Fanbase..proven facts and not theory or hate.. the fans never packed the stadium or had nationwide support when they were not winning titles..
    “If you only support the team when things are going well, that makes you a fan of winning, not a fan of the team. There is a huge difference.”

48. Whatever dude. Enjoy your first Super Bowl. Funny thing about winning the first is that it could just as easily be your last. Sounds like you’re okay with that though since you had fun.

For the record, I think the Pats had just as much fun winning #5 as they did winning #1.

49. You won the SB but next season you have to defend that title. I doubt you will be having fun, especially if the schedule makers start your season in Foxboro.

50. …..And if you lose it’s not quite as fun is it? #Classless! Apparently the Eagles Idea of fun is after they squeak out a win get in front of Microphone and be as low class as you can. This guy has no idea what playing for the Patriots is. During 5 Superbowl victories and 8 trips to the Superbowl I never saw anybody on the Pats that wasn’t having “FUN” except when they lost the big one. I never thought I’d see the Big mouth classlessness that I saw after Seattle won their 1 and only Superbowl but the Eagles have easily topped it. I guess they think they are going back every year from here on out. There is a rude awakening on the way.

51. Ugadogs21 says:

February 11, 2018 at 11:04 am

_____________________________________________________________________________

That would be hard considering they play the AFC South in the 2018 season. Try to keep up New England fans.

52. Come on guys, in that revolving door business, players from all teams speak to and maintain friendships with one another, be it a relationship cultivated in college or the pros. They talk amongst themselves. THAT is precisely why Lane’s words hold value. There is at least partial truth in his statement. Remember, these guys are employees of the teams they work for. They grievances just like any other worker…and they talk. Handle it

53. Wait, I thought the “rule” was that the Eagles couldn’t talk until they win something. They won the Super Bowl a week ago and now everyone’s crying about a comment that is nothing but common sense?

What exactly is so wrong about what he said? I didn’t see a Defensive Back in Green crying on the Eagle’s sideline last week. We had QB’s working together all season, your hero Tommy Brady had a power struggle with the coach to get the back up out. If you were a player right now and could sign with Pederson and the Eagles vs. the miserable Behlicheat and the Pats – is there really any question where you’d go?

54. philly77mngr says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:09 am
    Ugadogs21 says:

February 11, 2018 at 11:04 am

_____________________________________________________________________________

——————-
    Yep! I was a day late, schedule has been published…but not a fan of neither team.

The reality is it doesn’t matter if the Patriots are on the schedule, they will have to deal with the pressure of being the champs and obviously its been hard enough for them to repeat as conference champs.

55. One and done. This win has gone straight to their heads and you can tell by the comments from players and the coaches, and it started even before the game. Theres confidence and then theres arrogance. They remind me A LOT of the Seahawks from a few years ago in their approach and comments. PLUS they are headed towards being 9 million over the cap with the current roster next year. They have to cut guys just to get back under the cap, or start restructuring a bunch of players.

56. finzfan49 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 10:42 am

——————–

Your facts are incorrect and clearly have not been researched. The Pats current sellout streak goes all the way back to 1994, coinciding with Kraft’s purchase of the team and well before winning their first championship.

For the record, the Pats sellout streak is not the longest in the NFL, but it is longer than the Eagles (early 1999 season and counting).

This is the facts about the Philly Fanbase..proven facts and not theory or hate.

57. It’s so funny watching Pats fans troll the eagles after losing. Meanwhile, the Steelers continue to be the standard of the NFL.(6). Congrats eagle fans, New England had this coming to them.

58. Your fear Lane is how many more hits of the juice before your testicles shrink up and are gone !! Not get too carried away bragging, your team was a one hit wonder, itll be decades before the eggles make it back !!!

59. Dynasty in the making everyone coming back, plus draft and free agents want to play in Philly lol get use it to losers………….. oh yeah hey pats fan ***** aka fake rings… fly eagles fly

60. COMMENTS FROM LANE JOHNSON ARE SO PATHETIC.

Geez, You just won the Super Bowl. Enjoy the after glow, enjoy the ride, why do they have to dump on the other team.

Tom Brady said the Eagles players were gracious….Boy that sure isn’t proving to be true.

61. finzfan49 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 10:42 am
    *******************
    Foxboro has sold out every game since 1994 and that includes a 4-12 and 5-11 season.

62. Funny, a lot of folks on here predicted the Pats in a blow out. Go back and read your own comments. Now a team comes along that has a lot of cap space coming up, most major positions locked up and definitely a free agent spot. So if you had to choose are you going to play with a 40 year old quarterback, no cap space, a coach on the way out (on his own terms), and whose most productive offensive player misses significant time every year (Gronkowski); or go to the Eagles, Jags, Rams, or Carolina. Check the age of the best QBs in the league right now:

Ben, Aaron, Drew, Tom, Eli, Phillip, Alex, Joe, Stafford, Ryan and so in. They are getting old and aside from Brady their teams will never be better than last year.

Also, Lane was asked a question and he answered. He didn’t ask himself the question.

And for all you Pats “fans” where were you again before these championship runs? Oh that’s right, watching Red Sox games. You guys are front runners. Once Tom and Bill leave you will be back in the basement and the stadium will be empty.

You wish you had the fan history of Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Philly, Denver, Giants, Dallas, Washington, and Chicago.

63. Isn’t it funny listening to Pats fans talk about winning with grace and class. Like they even have a clue what that means.

64. JokerSC says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:21 am

8 1 Rate This

——————-

i smell more of a denver thing

foles will be dealt, he will destroy his new team’s cap positiion, will suck, and then wentz will start demanding a new deal, with holes all over the roster here on out

65. We’ll see how long the stars align for these guys. Other than the Patriots, the last two decades of Super Bowl participants are roughly ‘who has a decent QB and hit on some draft picks and didn’t have a ton of injuries.’ The rest is just that random fortune that has no choice but to fall on someone.

66. Pats fan here – I have congratulated the iggles about 3 times, no excuses – you beat us, that’s that. Same with the Gints 10 years or so back – no excuses you beat us, congratulations.

You guys had fun winning the game and winning during your excellent season – good. It was the 1st SB win in your team’s history. Remember how the Pats acted after their 1st win 16 years ago over the unbeatable Rams and after a performance by Brady that gave John Madden ‘goosebumps’. They acted pretty giddy. How about last season after the greatest comeback in SB history when they won in OT – they seemed happy then.

That was then, and this is now -Johnson’s week to shoot his mouth off, and that’s what he’s doing.

67. Ugadogs21 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:21 am
    philly77mngr says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:09 am
    Ugadogs21 says:

February 11, 2018 at 11:04 am

_____________________________________________________________________________

——————-

1 1 Rate This

————————

have you seen the afc and some teams’ cap positions?? pats will be playing in their 8th straight conf title game at home, yet again

to pretend all their players coming back will not make a difference is silly

68. beachsidejames says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:51 am

1 1 Rate This

——————

umm, the pats are famously classy and never run their mouths

meanwhile, another immature
    and arrogant player from
    another team runs his, even after winning, and you and this
    player arrogantly pass it off as something negative about the pats

enjoy your mental illness!

69. marvin1958 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:43 am

————

Nobody cares about championships in an 8 team league against the Akron Spark Plugs

70. ez0682 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:38 am

————

Seahawks fans made the same claims…..

71. steelcurtainn says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
    —————————————————————-
    I’m not a fan of either team but unfortunately, Green Bay’s 13 trumps Pittsburgh’s 6. Chicago comes in at #2 with 9, NY Giants at #3 with 8. If you know your NFL history, you’d also know that Pittsburgh was brutal from their inception in 1933 until 1971 and bad again in the 80’s.

72. Lane Johnson doesn’t know what he hasn’t experienced. I’m happy for all of Philly. To my shock, the fans and the players and the city have been pretty gracious in victory imo. Lane falls short here. Focus is not fear and there is no joy in losing a Super Bowl.

73. “but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls.”

And there we see what his mentality is, enjoy your SB Lane, you been talking way too much recently but enjoy your win, it will probably be your last but hey you can just keep having all the fun you want every season and be satisfied, who plays for championships right?

74. Funny how a lot of the people who complain that Pats fans are so “annoying” are the same ones that relentlessly troll Pats threads and then act surprised when they get fired back at.

That’s called a double standard by the way.

75. thesoupman says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:27 am

Sorry Charlie Brown, that’ll never happen. Now button the poop flap on your TB12 footy pajamas and eat your fruit loops.

76. philly77mngr says:
    February 11, 2018 at 11:17 am

———
    Where to start man. He’s commenting what it’s like to play on a team that he’s never played on….or a coach he’s never played for.

‘We Had QBs working together all year”. Haha, what the hell does that even mean?

TB power struggle with his coach? I guess if you believe ESPN. I guess 11 out of 12 balls were all deflated too huh Mort.

And as for FA joining teams, where did Chris Long go last year and why did he go there? Umm yeah, that’s what I thought. People go to the Patriots all the time for the winning culture and opportunity to go into the playoffs and hopefully further.

People have gone to Philly for the money. Maybe that changes now but we will see.

77. Wow, the Philthydelphia football team has no professionalism at all – they were a sorry team as losers – now their arrogance is profound and sickening.

Yo, Philthy – you’ve only won Super Bowl. Look around the league at those who have done that and tell me how remarkable they are. You merely pulled yourself out of the sewer. Now start acting like professionals, punks.

78. wafflestomp says:
    February 11, 2018 at 9:13 am

I can’t argue with the Patriots success, and I’m not even about to try.
    And quite honestly, I think we’ve only seen the very tip of that iceberg.

Yes, we know the truth. A few “journalists” lied and you guys locked down like pit bulls on bad intel. Over 10 years since a camera was found 30′ from where it should be and you’re still crying like a little girl. You bought line and sinker an admitted lie (taping walkthrough) and doubled down on stupid with 11 of 12.

79. eaglesmaina says:

_____

You need to google Eagles cap space. You are 9 million OVER the cap with the players currently under contract for 2018 and the draft picks you have this year.

Wait until next year when you have to pay either Foles or Wentz! Oh my!

80. I’m sure the millions of dollars they are making, makes up for the lack of “fun”. Here’s a news flash Lane not all jobs are fun. My job blows, I make peanuts but I manage to go in everyday.

81. xxsweepthelegxx says:

February 11, 2018 at 12:44 pm

————————————————————————-

Let me ask you – Is it as simple as stupidity or has the extreme arrogance caused denial up there?

Chris Long left NE, came here then donated his entire salary. That part of your argument might be the dumbest but the rest is as laughable.

You really think Behichik was ok with how the Jimmy G thing played out? You don’t think Tommy Brady sensed what was coming soon and golden boy’ed his way to what he wanted?

As far as Lane’s comments – You don’t think players talk in the NFL? You don’t think they know how different this season was here vs. what goes on up there? The only place where what he said isn’t obvious common sense is in New England.

Face it – anything said against “The Patriot Way” makes you Pats fans have hissy fits. Get over yourselves.

82. What an idiot. Is that locker room for everyone, nope. Is it always fun, nope. “I just think that The Patriot Way is a fear-based organization”, Lane do yourself a favor, stop thinking, it is obviously something you are not accustomed to. Instead of throwing out some idiotic statement do some investigation, talk to enough former players to understand what goes on there and why. Notice I said enough former players, ie get a good cross section of both sides not just the disgruntled ones before you make a statement.

83. As an Eagles fan it’s fun to see all the negative comments about the Eagles from all the looser fans!!!! Thanks Lane & all the 2017 Eagles squad. Go Birds!!!

84. This comment from Johnson has Chris Long’ s fingerprints all over it. Long left the Patriots after one season. Apparently he wasn’t having enough fun, and he didn’t get to speak his mind either. Not all players can handle the intensity of Bill. Didn’t Reggie Wayne quit during training camp?
    Bottom line is that the Eagles are a talented team that was playing with house money after Wentz got hurt. And Foles isn’t some obscure scrub backup, he had more experience as a starter than Brady did when he led his team to a upset victory over a previous SB champ.
    The similarities between this Eagle season and 2001 Pat’s is weird

85. Lane is a blowhard. He was great at the parade but should just shut up now. I don’t like any of the post-win media frenzy where you can’t get away from the winning team. I’m almost sick of seeing these guys everywhere, and I’m the biggest Eagles fan ever (not biggest like EDP455).
    I’m just gonna keep watching long time suffering fan reaction videos and remember who the win meant the most to and stay away from watching the “likeable” athletes who will eventually turn into the jerks they usually are.

86. Look. The Eagles won the game, but did their supposed first rate defense look all that great? Yes, they made a play when they had to, but first rate defenses don’t give up over 600 yards of offense to anyone, ever.
    The way some of the Eagles players are acting, you’d think they ran the Pats off the field. The fact is, the Pats had a chance to win the game late, even with no time outs.
    I can see this Eagles team falling back down the ladder in a hurry. They had a miracle year and deserve all the accolades they are getting. But they’ll find out the only thing harder to do in the NFL besides win a Super Bowl is win a second one.
    This Eagles team was the overwhelming favorite as far as fans go to beat the Pats. But that can change real fast if they keep flapping their gums.

87. jkossrt says:
    February 11, 2018 at 8:02 am
    jlgmr777 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 7:27 am

——————————————————————————————-

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I cannot stand some Patriots fans and that makes defending the Pats harder, but I have not heard any Patriots players blasting the organization, owner or Bellichik. Even the long-time guys who got cut/traded have had good things to say. There is probably some footage out there somewhere of some lazy clown who failed to adapt squawking to save his rep (I actually expect some from Butler but I am pretty sure he is to blame for his SB benching and hard feelings), but for the most part the opinions from current/Pats players seem to be positive.

88. Let me double down on the house money analogy. It’s rare to walk into a casino and split a pair of Aces and hit double blackjack. It’s awesome and dare I say “fun”. Now what if you had to do it every time you played. Maybe a bit more stressful than the first time.
    Patriots have high expectations of themselves and add in the fans and media and yes a season can become tedious. It sure looked that way at the end of the 2007 season. The weight of the undefeated season was crushing players.
    I wouldn’t call it fear.

89. The Eagles won. To the victors go the spoils. They’ve earned the right to talk.

Other teams, especially those Steeler fans, haven’t earned the right to do anything in years now.

90. Lane is absolutely right! ask ted Johnson asante Samuel lawyer Mallory Logan mankins to name a few of many ex patriot players who have criticized the patriot organization ,bill belichick, and Robert kraft what a liar and a cheapstake he is.here is a quote from mankins regarding kraft: ‘growing up I was taught a mans word is his bond. Obviously this is not the case with the patriots.’ Back in 2010 mankins called Robert kraft a liar. From kraft to belichick to McDaniels,their word means nothing. 3 of the biggest liars the NFL has seen.

91. Teams that consistently win championships in any elite pro sports tend to have one thing in common, it’s all business. I beleive the Patriots have fun it’s just that they don’t show it. The Patriots each and every game are targets, every team raises their game, every game vrs the Patriots is a Super Bowl. If the Eagles truly are going to be considered perineal contenders the serious stuff really begins.

92. rgorr44 says:
    February 11, 2018 at 8:11 am

………………………………………………
    During a couple of summer camps the two teams practiced together. Also , surly Long and Blount had to comment on the differences between the two teams culture .

93. Meh, Let him talk, that’s all this is. He’s earned the pulpit. Even the Eagles’ fans can take their shots if they wish. The folks from other teams that are riding the Eagles coat tails are really quite pathetic. They are like fleas on a dog.

Go Pats!

94. I am an Eagles fan but I see nothing wrong “with doing your job” and having that fear you will be replaced if you are not earning your salary. You can have fun, every team does, even New England, but when it comes down to business… all the fans want is to see you do your job.

95. It’s a riot to see the Philly Fans condoning the same low class activity that they’ve been accusing the Patriots of for the last decade. But what should I expect of people that Burn and loot their city every chance they get.Pittsburgh fans are fine with it too so it must be Pennsylvania thing. When you win trash the other team and when you lose accuse them of cheating. That’s a Pennsylvania Daily Double.

96. Oh my, funny to read all the patriot comments. What a bunch of teenage girls. You say something bad about the pats and the patty’s fan start stomping their feet.

97. Sure Lane whatever you say. Why don’t you ask Long and Blount about the lack of fun they had in New England.

98. OK, be fair. The Eagles had a great team and they enjoyed it. I can’t agree completely that the Patriots have “never had fun”; I think they enjoy what they do too. But I suspect the Eagles DID enjoy their victory just a bit more since it was a new thing for their team and for their community. Whatever the answer is, let’s just “go with it” – (and maybe add just a bit of rhetoric along the way): “It is what it is. They have a good team and they played better in all three phases of the game and deserved the win”.

Typical Patriots rhetoric, but also true. Kidding aside, congratulations to the Eagles, their fans, and also congratulations to the Patriots for another conference and division championship. Both organizations are well coached and stocked with winners and I feel that the two best teams this past year represented the NFL. No shame or regret; definitely an OFFENSIVE display of excellence (though on the other end, the worst defensive display on both sides of the ball for as long as I’ve been watching the Super Bowl).

I guess it was a sign of the times, the calls on the field and the emphasis on scoring and big plays – we saw a LOT of them everywhere.

Congratulations to this year’s Eagles team for putting out the combination of plays that won an offensive display that set many records and shattered other previous records.

99. JokerSC says:
    February 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm
    steelcurtainn says:
    February 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm
    Foles >Tom Shady and the New England spygaters.

____

NE>Jax>Steelers………

Thanks to the refs…,….

100. The Eagles are now high and mighty? They barely beat the Patriots after Belichick sabotaged his own team by benching Butler for no reason and throwing the game. Otherwise, the Pats would have won and the Eagles would be the losers that they are.

101. Hey Lane, how bout you just mind your own business and stay on your side of the fence. Nobody asked you to come over to the Patriots anyway.

102. steelcurtainn says:
    February 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm

NE>Jax>Steelers………

Thanks to the refs…,….
    ——————————————————————————
    0-3 vs your “rivals”, all 3 games at home, and this is what your owner had to say about Jesse “Butterfingers” James: Art Rooney: Call was right.

So of course you guys are still whining about, because Steelers.

Have there ever been

103. Guess if having fun was the key to success he wouldn’t have had to be suspended twice for taking performance enhancers. One failed test away from his career being over. Not exactly a paragon of virtue talking here.

104. Look. The Eagles won the game, but did their supposed first rate defense look all that great? Yes, they made a play when they had to, but first rate defenses don’t give up over 600 yards of offense to anyone, ever.

Get outta here with that hypocritical crap. When the Pats win by three points you fans call it a beat down. Just stop with your hypocritical crap.

105. “Not to be reckless, but I’d much rather have fun and win a Super Bowl than be miserable and win five Super Bowls. But hey, it is what it is.”

Miserable, or as they call it in New England, acting like a professional.

106. Stop yourself with your factless, feckless posts. You seem to be so enthralled with copy and paste. Find one where a real Pats fan calls a 3 point win a ‘beatdown’. LIAR

107. Any yahoo can win one, every great once in a while. Doing more than that is where the real work is.

Johnson’s just the latest in a long line of guys who think that feeling like they’re on top of the world translates into them actually knowing anything. AKA a big mouth.

108. Watched a replay of the big game today as well. If you want to talk about bad fans, how come there were so few cheers for the Pats? Nobody in the stadium was cheering for you — mainly because you are front runners. I’m 2 years it will be back to Red Sox nation like it was for all those years before Brady.

I hope you enjoyed the ride dopes.

109. So of course you guys are still whining about, because Steelers.
    ________________________________________________________________
    Don’t see one Steeler whining. All I seen was Pats fans planning on # 7 when they can ever get to the 6 asterisk mark. Foles stole the show and pats fans can’t accept it.lol.

110. Don’t be sore Pat fan. The Eagles won and they earned the right to say whatever they want and so do their fans. They are the champs. Don’t like the trash talk? Too bad, your team wasn’t good enough to avoid it.

Maybe you’ll think twice next time before gloating 28-3 into the ground,

111. It’s always fun to be the underdog and play with house money. Let’s see how the Eagles deal with all the attention they will get now. They will get everyone’s A game. Everyone will hate them. Everyone will want to take them down.

That will not always be fun, especially when you’re 2-2. So let’s see how much fun they have next year.

112. Braz says:
    February 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm

Maybe you’ll think twice next time before gloating 28-3 into the ground,

_______________________________________________________________________________

I’m ok with a 20 yr. dynasty… could have been 35 years if they kept Jimmy G. He will now rule the NFC!!!

113. @philly77mngr
    The only thing laughable is your ability to follow your own arguments. You said, who would want to go sign with Belicheat, and I gave you an example, and the example happens to be Chris long, on your team right now. People sign with Belichick because he wins, and they want to be part of the winning culture. You act like you’ve never heard a veteran say, I signed with the patriots to have a chance at the playoffs, etc…., it happens all the time.

Enjoy your SB man, apparently you’re struggling with what it’s like to be #1 still playing the ‘underdog’ role. You won. Enjoy it. Soak it in. And defend it next year.

114. Brady walked off the field and did’nt shake anybody’s hand. That’s your Pats example of class I guess. LOL. BB is an example someone with a personality disorder. It feels so good to hear the haters now. 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles. Sounds good , feels good. Lane is the man and his point is true.

115. baldeaglejohnie says:
    February 12, 2018 at 8:05 am
    ========================
    Ask Cox\Ertz who shook their hands after the SB?

116. I have some friends who have done mini-camp with the Patriots and they will tell you verbatim it’s unlike any other organization they’ve ever been with. Literally zero fun, and individuality.

117. Belichick came up under Parcells – so, yeah, he’s not going to hand out hugs and stuff. I’d say Parcells was worse than Belichick, based on their public personas. The NFL is a cold, brutal business and coaches jobs usually hang by a thread. Players are, more-or-less, just fodder for the meat grinder. Star players are cut more slack than borderline guys, but stars who don’t produce fall off the pedestal pretty quickly.

The tone of the organizations may be very different, but all NFL teams run fear-based organizations, to varying degrees. Players, coaches, front office personnel – there’s constant pressure.

118. youngnoizecom says:
    February 12, 2018 at 10:49 am

————————-

It’s work, not summer camp.

119. “This is a perfect fit for me. I’ve done everything I wanted to do. I won two Super Bowls with those guys. I don’t regret a single second of being there because I loved it there. They had some of the best years of football that you could ever remember.”
    – LeGarrette Blount, May 2017

“This year and this opportunity gave me a ton. I made lifelong friends in a great locker room and became a champion. I’m so thankful that Coach [Bill Belichick] (the GOAT) took a chance on me and allowed me the opportunity to play a small part in this wonderful year.”
    – Chris Long, March 2017

Fear?

120. proudlydeletingtruth says:
    February 11, 2018 at 4:35 pm
    The run on TB12 footy pajamas is over. Sorry for the overstock kids. He won’t retire until throws for 6000 yards and loses again. Stat padder.
    _________
    Aww is baby sad….dont cry crybabiez….its ok you’ll have a legendary QB someday. When I’m dead

121. I could give two fig newtons if a player is having fun or not. Bring home the metal. Full stop.

Taking Johnson at his word for the moment, it might be premature to suggest the Eagles method is better. The sample size is smaller.

122. eaglesmaina says:

February 11, 2018 at 6:06 pm

I hope you enjoyed the ride dopes.

=============================

Actually lots of Vikings fans were rooting for the Pats in the stadium because they were pretty appalled at the Eagles fans during the NFC championship game weekend. And get your argument together, if your going to call Pats fans frontrunners, at least accurately point out it was the era before Bledsoe, not Brady, that was a dark age for the franchise.

123. This might’ve meant something if it came from LeGarrette Blount or Chris Long.
    But since Lane Johnson has never played for the Patriots or under Bill Belichick…who cares what he thinks? An unqualified opinion and nothing more.

124. marthisdil says:
    February 11, 2018 at 1:02 pm
    How many rings do the Iggles have?

How many rings do the Pats have?

Case closed.
    ————————–
    How many rings did the Patriots win this past season?

How many did the Eagles win this past season?

Full stop. Game over.