Kaepernick’s lawyers want to question Papa John, too

Getty Images

We may finally get a glimpse of John Schnatter in something other than a bright red shirt.

The former CEO of Papa John’s, who stepped down late last year due in part (we’re told) to his misguided effort to blame reduced earnings on the NFL, will be getting a ticket to the Colin Kaepernick Collusion Party. Kaepernick’s lawyers want to take the deposition of Schnatter, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports.

Some believe that Schnatter publicly chastised the NFL at the urging of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who disagreed with the league office’s handling of player protests during the national anthem (and who was trying to block Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract extension). Jones has an ownership interest in more than 100 Papa John’s stores.

Although some within the NFL may actually be intrigued by what Schnatter would say about the situation under oath, there’s a fundamental problem for both Kaepernick and the league: The arbitrator who will resolve the grievance has no jurisdiction over Schnatter.

He can’t be forced to testify, and there’s no reason why he would want to testify — unless he’s bitter about what happened and now wants to create trouble for the NFL. (If that’s the case, Kaepernick’s lawyers shouldn’t be taking his deposition prior to the grievance; they should be preparing him to show up and testify as part of Kaepernick’s case-in-chief.)

107 responses to “Kaepernick’s lawyers want to question Papa John, too

1. I just about spit my drink out when I read this headline. I thought it was a joke. Now that I know it’s true, it’s kinda sad…..

2. I can’t wait to see the 30 for 30 where Kaepernick opted out of a multi million dollar contract due to an inflated opinion of himself. Then proceeds to waste all the millions he’s earned by paying lawyers to investigate Papa John’s and Roger Goodell’s wife.

3. In accordance with rules governing those who work in the pizza industry, Mr. Schnatter’s deposition must be delivered in 30 minutes or less.

4. Jones is a racist Basta*d. What he represents sickens me as it should any decent American, then again, as we look at America today, decent Americans seem to be in the minority

5. First question, do you actually understand what “better” means? Because there’s clearly a big misunderstand when you say “better ingredients…better pizza…Papa Johns.”

6. I’m satisfied knowing that Kerpernick will never put on an NFL uniform again. Despite the efforts of the marxist sports media. Eventually he’ll blow away like a leaf in the wind.

7. Why is it every time there is a Papa Jones commercial it’s followed be a commercial for something that takes care of “upset stomach, bloating and diarrhea?”

8. “Why does your pizza suck so much?!”
    – Football fans everywhere

Horrible stuff, and I swear it always arrives undercooked. It’s no big wonder why he’s losing business while other pizza chains are gaining it.

9. “Liberals ruin everything.”

SMH

10. Kaepernick doing something that’s ill advised? I don’t believe it. It’s not like he wore socks with pigs in police costume socks… It’s not like he wore a Fidel Castro shirt in Miami… Also, it’s not like he tweeted a picture of a storm in Texas that killed people with his slogan “7torms coming.” No Kaepernick is definitely calculated in his every move.

11. I can’t wait to see the 30 for 30 where Kaepernick opted out of a multi million dollar contract due to an inflated opinion of himself.
    ——————————————–

uhm…that’s some irrational belief about Kaeprnick you got there. Kaepernick was going to get cut anyway. Shanhan and Lynch pretty much told him that. He opted out so he could become a FA on his terms/timing.

12. harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm

“Liberals ruin everything.”

____________________
    Your delusions are noted. The racists and fascists today are on the Left. Look around.

13. Hoping to God he spends all his money on this pointless lawsuit. Let me fill you in on what will happen: Dem judges will rule for you. Higher courts will overturn. Your lawyers will have all your money.

14. The judge will be asking the same question I have asked at parties for years. “Why are we calling Papa John?”

15. “You’re so right. The things they want to “ruin” include racist behavior, bigotry of all kinds, the behavior of tiny brained white fascists, all things that we should all be standing up to support whole heartedly.”

Wrong. Liberals pander for votes. Ask all minorities who hold different political views than liberals if they’ve ever been called names like a sellout by the so called “tolerant ones.”

16. “Thus, fascinating as it may be to hear the pizza man get grilled about his effort to cook the NFL’s goose, chances are that the grievance will proceed without Schnatter’s testimony being one of the better ingredients.”

Best paragraph ever written.

17. I have eaten this so called pizza once…and once was enough…declining sales because of the NFL…how about declining sales because the pizza sucks…

18. doug ablitt says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:50 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Good call, slick. Racist white men typically hire 30+ black employees and give them all $500K – $10+M every year.

19. exinsidetrader says:
    February 13, 2018 at 6:03 pm

The racists and fascists today are on the Left. Look around.
    ________

I don’t agree with the whole kneeling thing, but this is the stupidest thing posted here yet, including anyone who thumbed this up.

No member of any white supremacy group voted for the black guy for president. They all voted for Trump though. Won’t stop the snowflakes like you that keep crying about Kaep from lying like you just did though.

20. Yep….its officially the off-season. The combine cant get here quickly enough. The next time I want to hear about Kap is when he breaks the world record for largest afro.

21. Wow. Colon Krappernick is really sending a message about how much he really wants to play football.

ROFL>

22. Opted out of his contract, no one twisted his arm. I didn’t know that we are entitled to be employed by the NFL I wanna be a QB too

23. harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm

“Liberals ruin everything.”

____________________

——————————————————————–

Fascists can’t exist on the left?! They’re on opposite ends of the political spectrum. God you knuckle dragging mouth breathers never cease to amaze me with your stupidity. Learn what words mean, heck learn new words so you don’t look like a dunce.

The left can be intolerant, militant, they can be politically correct, annoying, etc. but liberal fascist is an oxymoron.

24. And what company would want to hire a disgruntled employee? Not only that, Kap didn’t even know what he was protesting at the beginning.
    Kap had a contract that he opted out of. First of many bad moves by him.

25. This headline ought to be prefixed with “In a desperate attempt to find a scapegoat and blame someone other than their cluent,”.

If Kaepernick’s lawyers are looking for the cause of his current lack of employment, they need only go back to their client. Let him go hang out with Chris Kluwe, who also still hasn’t figured out why he never landed another NFL gig. Actions have consequences.

26. You remember when Kaepernick was white and he called the other player the “N” word and got a huge fine and penalty called on him. Now he’s Malcolm X. He wants to be forced onto a team? I can see the Democrats pushing this one, until Trump is called to testify. Hillary lost. You want to win bring a better candidate.

27. Sombody sign this stooge, so we can watch him implode and everyone will see why he hasn’t been playing.

28. Jones is a racist Basta*d. What he represents sickens me as it should any decent American, then again, as we look at America today, decent Americans seem to be in the minority

That’s impossible. Only whites are racists. Ask Whoopi.

29. I love football and accept we all have different perspectives on life but the vilification of a fine young man like Colin by the sycophants of a treasonous coward who avoided military service five times by lying about his health is a stain on our great country.

30. First of all it would be hilarious to see the likes of Goodell, his wife and Papa Johns testify.

Second –

“I can’t wait to see the 30 for 30 where Kaepernick opted out of a multi million dollar contract due to an inflated opinion of himself.’

People keep propagating this lie as if the 9ers hadn’t made it clear he was going to be cut, and the only reason he opted out was in hopes of catching on with another team earlier in the offseason.

You don’t like the guy I get it, but when you have to tell lies to make you’re point you’ve already lost the argument.

31. usa98j30t4 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 7:29 pm
    That’s impossible. Only whites are racists. Ask Whoopi.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Or ask Oprah, she said all old white people should die. Obama set race relations back in this country by 60 years.

32. “The racists and fascists today are on the Left. Look around.”

Actually they populate the white house and the GOP extensively.

33. I will first say I dont support Kaep or his actions. I am African American but respect this country and I am honored that my Father and Grandfather both served in the military. Kaep took a stand and became the sacrificial lamb. Kaep opted out of his contract. Kaeps wife/girlfriend made the stupid mistake of posting that pic blowing his chance with the Ravens. He got what he deserved the “Blackball”. I know most fans think its BS but the blackball does exist in the NFL and all pro sports.

I do believe it will come to some sort of settlement. These owners really dont want to give up cellphone records and emails. I guarantee one of these owners said something stupid.

34. I personally don’t give a crap about either side but for you morons that keep posting that he opted out of his contract, he was told he was going to be cut. He wasn’t given a choice in the matter. I don’t understand why that’s so difficult to get through your THICK, THICK skulls.

35. BraceForImpact says:
    February 13, 2018 at 6:55 pm

harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm

“Liberals ruin everything.”

____________________

——————————————————————–

The left can be intolerant, militant, they can be politically correct, annoying, etc. but liberal fascist is an oxymon

________________________
    Most certainly fascists can exist on the Left (see Alt-Left Antifa) if we define them by their actions.

Your thinking is so limited that you see the spectrum as only linear — it is not (and I make that point without having to note that the Nazis were National Socialists … ooops, I just did). I say again, those ACTING like fascists today — from censorship of opposing thought (see ban of Conservative speakers on colleges) to violence against those with whom they agree — are almost exclusively on a wide-scale on the Left. Liberals today are very illiberal. “Sad.”

36. Honestly I think his lawyers’s strategy meetings have nothing to do with winning this because they know there is nothing to win. What they talk about is how to keep stringing him along and what busy work they can come up with to do and bill him for until they have bled him dry. Then they toss out a few press releases so he sees lots of noise and thinks something is actually happening. I actually feel sorry for him at this point because I see how its all gonna end.

37. One thing is for sure, He’ll never replace his earnings as a QB from this….
    California thinking…

38. xnflplaya says:
    February 13, 2018 at 7:39 pm

Thank your grandfather, father, and you for your military service.
    There is one thing I would like to add to your post. Kaepernick should never have been allowed to do what he did in the first place. I don’t know where you work, but can you demonstrate your personal beliefs on company time where you work? I know I couldn’t do that (and rightly so). And could a player hold up a small Confederate flag and get away with it while the Anthem is being played? We all know the answer to that one, and it would be right to stop him, too.
    Aside from the fact that I don’t agree with what Kaepernick and others did by disrespecting our anthem and our flag, that is the biggest issue I have with him and the others. They were at work and when you are at work, you should not be allowed to cause a disturbance like that for your personal and political beliefs.
    And — unfortunately this behavior has filtered down. I attended the men’s college basketball game this past Saturday night between Marist and Rider College. Marist hosted Rider. During the National Anthem, two Rider players (both black) were talking to each other and laughing as the Anthem was played. I was so annoyed I emailed a lengthy letter to their head coach, Kevin Baggett. I respectfully told him I was very saddened to see their behavior while the rest of the kids on both teams and the crowd stood and listened to the Anthem. Several of the other black players also had their heads down during the playing of the Anthem, too, which is also a sign of disrespect. I saw two black players who were facing the flag with their hands over their hearts, and Marist has three players from Europe who also stood and faced the flag as a sign of respect.
    I have a long history of military service in my family, dating back to the Civil War (my great grandfather served for the Union in the Navy).
    My dad put a career in the Army and was at Schofield Barracks at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941, the day the Japanese attacked. I never saw that man stand and listen to the National Anthem without a tear in his eyes. It would break his heart to see what these players did and are doing if he were still alive.
    I enlisted in the Army in 1971 and I would have been proud to serve along side of you in defense of this great country. America is not perfect, but its ideals and Constitution are still the greatest idea ever in trying to insure its people are free. It’s a work in progress, for sure, but I believe that people like Kaepernick are dangerous because they cause a bigger divide between the races as opposed to trying to bring people together.

39. doug ablitt says:

================================================================

And you wonder why democrats hold the fewest seats nationwide today in the history of the party.

40. BraceForImpact says:
    February 13, 2018 at 6:55 pm

harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm

“Liberals ruin everything.”

____________________

——————————————————————–

———————————

Liberals have hijacked “fascism” just like they’ve hijacked the media and the NFL.

41. Jerry Jones the cheating racist owner perfect for the yahoos in Dallas. That redneck pizza owner got what he deserved. Kap I am so proud of your cause. Unfortunately, most people in the South just dont get it. May take another generation or two of educated people to understand.

42. Interesting that this all comes down to slices of pizza, as evidence suggests it may be the ONLY situation where the plaintiff can actually recognize “8 in the box”.

43. I don’t care about Pappa John! He started shorting me that second pepper with every pizza so he could get enough pennies together to pay Peyton Manning to do commercials. I don’t care about Kap either! Wait, does that mean I might get asked questions by his lawyer on collusion as well?

44. I swear, I feel like we are living in a simulation and the game player has entered the cheat code for Ludacris mode.

45. PresidentTrumpIsRightRespectYourCountryAndFlag says:
    Better testimony! Better Collusion!
    ———————-
    The one above wins as best post.
    The one below wins as most accurate post:
    ———————-
    rr2000k says:
    Better Quarterback, Better Team…

46. Its been a bad year for Papa John. No Manning’s and even Jerry Jones cut bait. Its almost but not as bad as his pizza that has the box tasting better then pizza inside.

47. All of this nonsense because Kaepernick couldn’t beat out a 2nd rate QB. Thanks a lot Blaine Gabbert.

48. “Although some within the NFL may actually be intrigued by what Schnatter would say about the situation under oath, there’s a fundamental problem for both Kaepernick and the league: The arbitrator who will resolve the grievance has no jurisdiction over Schnatter”.

Yes, because owners are sitting around a table asking themselves.. What does the guy who makes pizza think about this national anthem protest thing?
    Or “Maybe we should ask Papa John for some answers”

49. harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:57 pm
    “Liberals ruin everything.”

They’re guilty in spades of both counts above.

50. The speculation is that Kaep bailed on his contract because he was going to be cut anyway. That actually has some moniker of truth, but the real fact is that, if he would have stayed on and gotten cut, he would still have been entitled to his base salary due in his contract. He took a chance and opted out…and is never to be seen on an NFL field again. He took his chances..and is paying the price.

51. As a 49er fan I watched this guy for years. My nick name for him was “vapor lock”. He can’t read defenses, he is slow and not the sharpest tool in the tool shed. He would always be trying to change a play at the line and be running out of time on the play clock ,he’s just bad,sorry but that’s the truth. His protest was more about Colin not playing and riding the pine. He wasn’t protesting when he was starting,once benched,he went S.J.W. . I believe the entire “protest” was more about attention for Colin and less about justice. I think the protest thing took on a life of its own and he just went with it and the fact that his liberal girlfriend had a big influence on him. If anyone believes he is not playing because of his politics they just haven’t witnessed his regression as a quarter back playing in the N.F.L.

52. harrisonhits2 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 7:37 pm

…but when you have to tell lies to make you’re point you’ve already lost the argument.

————–

I agree. Remember “If you like your current health insurance your can keep your current health insurance”?

What a whopper that was….

53. ayokel21 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 7:39 pm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    It doesn’t matter but you are not correct. Even if you were right, your argument is he quit before he was fired. The issue is that he is saying he can’t get work because they are colluding but the last action he did in the league was to quit his job. He may have been told by Balke/Kelly that he would be released but those guys got fired. Lynch/Shanahan said they would evaluate the situation and were just starting that process as of 21 Feb. 1 March Kap said he would opt out and then did so on the 3rd. There was no public statement by either side between 21 Feb and 1 Mar and neither side said that he would have been cut if he didn’t opt out. If you go back to when he signed his deal it was understood that he would likely opt out and I believe he actually said so when his trade scenario fell through. What you are remembering seems to be nothing more than the twisted stories put out by those in support of Kap and his “movement”. That does not make their claims true. Research on your own and you can find all this stuff for yourself…but it is easier to just believe the BS put out by the side one agrees with.

54. birdmantd says:
    February 13, 2018 at 5:50 pm

—————————————
    You win!
    Best comment on the site today. Take a bow!LOL

55. Outlaw53james says:
    February 14, 2018 at 10:45 am
    _________________________
    Absolutely 100% incorrect.
    The 49rs did not owe Kaep one red cent if they cut Him after after his rookie deal. But why should you be any more informed than the rest of the usual suspects.

56. If i remember Kaep was about to be signed by Baltimore until his girlfriend started bumping her gums. Bottom line is Kaep is a midlevel QB at best. If he were a Rodgers/Brady talent

57. This player starts the biggest disruption in NFL history and is allowed to walk. This was due to his play, but as 2 execs talk to each other one asks, Thinking about hiring kap, what do you think? Other exec, ” Hell no, he is a horrible QB, NEVER”. Now according to Kap, this was collusion because of the Kneeling thing.
    Who wins here? The ones that always win… The Lawyers!
    What a waste of time and money!

58. killitandeatit says:
    February 14, 2018 at 11:01 am

———-

Perfection. All that ever needs to be said is summarized right here.

Sorry snowflakes, Kaep is done and gone for good. Find something else to be offended about today.

59. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    February 14, 2018 at 5:53 am
    Can’t wait for next person on the deposition list……..
    Colonel Sanders or Dave Thomas?
    ————————————
    That would be one tough deposition, considering both (and Ray Kroc) have long since shuffled off this mortal coil.

60. If they want to be taken serious they should be questioning Kaps girlfiend and Kap himself on why they would try to sabotage his opportunity to sign with the Ravens then cry collusion afterwards.

The collusion of events that led to his unemployment was sitting for the anthem after being benched, opting out of his contract, pig socks, Castro, unflattering tweet towards owner attempting to make a deal, and sub par talent.