WEEI losing advertisers over Christian Fauria’s racist Don Yee impression

Getty Images

Former Patriots tight end Christian Fuaria did a racist impression of NFL agent Don Yee on his WEEI radio show, and the show is losing advertisers as a result.

Comcast and City of Boston Credit Union have pulled their ads from WEEI, the Boston Globe reports.

The president of City of Boston Credit Union says his business couldn’t support “the hateful and divisive content that seems to have become a matter of course at WEEI.”

Last week, Fauria said he was doing an impression of Yee, the Asian-American agent of Tom Brady and Jimmy Garoppolo, and then spoke in a stereotypically Asian accent while his co-hosts laughed and a producer played music typical of Asian martial arts movies. Fauria later apologized.

The Asian American Journalists Association released a statement saying the WEEI sketch “perpetuated harmful, inaccurate and insensitive stereotypes about Asian Americans.”

29 responses to “WEEI losing advertisers over Christian Fauria’s racist Don Yee impression

1. .
    Just to give others context, the WEEI afternoon sports show is not a radio version of Sportscenter. It’s more like a sports / morning show / TMZ hybrid. They’ll more spend time on a some player’s stupid utterance rather than whether the Patriots should use two TEs this week.

2. These advertisers are more enlightened than the commenters to previous PFT stories on this situation. Those commenters thought it was perfectly OK for Fauria to mock the Asian people.

Civilized people understand that we haven’t progressed as far from the WWII internment camps as we had hoped.

3. Like people who claimed Brady cheated without reading the Well’s report, they should actually listen to the program. He KNOWS Don Yee. They played recordings of Don Yee. He was making fun of Borges, who should know what Yee sound like, faling for a guy who sounds nothing like Don Yee.

4. Odd thing id Fauria will have been punished more than Ron Borges or the Herald.

Fauria- unintentionally said some stupid things in an attempt to be funny on air.

Ron Borges- Lied, tries to besmirch one of the greatest NFL players (twice now), doesn’t do his job, plagarizes.

Boston Herald- twice now caught outright lying and making up negative Patriots stories.

That’s the problem with Fake Outrage thing, the real culprits never seem to suffer any consequences.

5. Don Yee speaks English better that Fauria…The only show I like on WEEI is Kirk and Callahan…the other shows and vanilla…..

6. joetoronto says:
    Advertisers care, the vast majority of the people don’t.

-Advertisers only care if they might lose some money, not because they think what he did was wrong.

7. joetoronto says:
    February 13, 2018 at 6:44 am
    Advertisers care, the vast majority of the people don’t.

That’s the screwed up world we live in.
    ___________________________________________

Are you sure you are from Toronto? You sound nothing like a Torontonion. And people do care, especially the folks that are the target of racist attacks.

But hey, let’s keep stereotyping folks of color -after all just because he’s born in the USA doesn’t make him a “real” American. To be a “real Murican” you gotta be a white, conservative right?

Only fools like you don’t care. And make no mistake you are either an expert troll or a complete fool.

8. I’m loving seeing WEEI get hit in the pocketbook. Their on-air “talent” are almost all a bunch of moronic jackasses and up until the last few weeks the bosses have been encouraging them to crank it up. I know it’s too much to hope for, but maybe they’ll start telling these lunkheads that this is sports talk radio, not the Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh shows.

9. castlelong1 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 7:15 am

5 3 Rate This

—————————————–

He still shouldn’t have done it, knowing how PC our society is. Honestly, I have no idea how the hyenas in the 2-6 slot on 98.5 haven’t been fired yet. They’re worse than humans on a radio show anywhere in the country. Just a digusting group of people.

10. remizak says:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:12 am

3 1 Rate This

———————–

The bottom line is, the media gets away with murder far too frequently with no accountability whatsoever.

It’s way out of control. And, then you throw in our dumb society who believes it all. Just embarrassing.

11. Why does the line get drawn with Comedy. Watch the latest dave Chappell special. Hes said things 100x worse than fauria but it’s ok. Maybe saying racial jokes is ok based on what color your skin is.

12. First….I tend to be sensitive to others when I speak, it’s just my nature, but I don’t usually call out other people for a lack of being PC. However it does provide me a snapshot of their true nature and character, so I get a sense of the type of personality I’m dealing with.

With that being said….I must admit I might have laughed at such an impression, depending on the circumstances. If it was on Saturday Night Live, known for comedy and satire, then yeah I would have laughed. On a sports broadcast….probably not, as comedy and satire is not the purpose of the broadcast nor is it the presumed nature of the show.

I’m a long time fan of Boston area sports, but I have long thought of Fauria as an annoying and egotistical sports personality, and have long avoided him on the weekly Patriots TV shows. I’m not one to listen to sports radio much.

Now if it was Howie Carr that did this impression, I would not have been surprised.

13. They’ve been getting beaten out by 98.5 for years so they’ve tried to beat them at their own game, only to ovr-compensate and doing something like this, amongst other things.

4 2

This comment from this poster is probably the most hypocritical comment posted on here ever. Only wish the poster could be suspended like the Weei fool.

14. I think Fauria is part white right? Worse, he looks more white than whatever other race is part of his genetic makeup, so he’s considered white, whereas Barack Obama being half white is considered black because he appears more black. As such, appearing to be white, he’s fair game for hypocritical commentary considering all of the other race-based jokes told by other races. I don’t remember who told the joke, but it has always stuck with me, where an Asian comedian told a joke pretending to be working in an Asian restaurant talking about the “round eyes”and how they ordered and talked etc. I don’t recall anybody being upset at all.

15. I don’t understand. Some people can go on TV and boldly make fun of every race, religion, gender etc and people not only pay to see them, they adore them. So why exactly is this comment a problem? Could this possibly be a color thing? It seems that whites get into a lot more trouble a lot more often when other say far far worse things with no repercussions.

Trying to understand.

16. tylawspick6 says:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:30 am
    remizak says:
    February 13, 2018 at 9:12 am

3 1 Rate This

———————–

Well yes, D bag and Mazz finish ahead of Dale & Holley as the Sports Hub earned an 11.3 share and WEEI a 9.2 to finish 1-2 in the fall period from Sept. 14 to Dec. 6. but,

WEEI earned victory in the mornings with “Kirk & Callahan’’ finishing first (13.0), one spot ahead of the Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich’’ (12.2, plus 0.3 for its online stream).

“OMF’’ finished first in the fall with a 10.3 share, edging the Sports Hub’s second-place “Zolak & Bertrand’’ program (9.8)

Not much of a beating if you ask me.

17. I hate the PC nightmare going on in the world today. If you listen to the PC nation, you will notice that only white people can be racist. It’s stupid. What ever happened to sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me? Anyone who is butt hurt by insults should grow a thicker skin. Insult me all you like, but unless I give you the power, you will not reach me with the insult. Acting like a racist says more about you than it does about me, but if I have to call the PC police, it says more about me than it does about you.

18. terripet says:
    February 13, 2018 at 10:31 am
    Eei was the worst guys to talk sports. Holley Callahan are horrible

—————————

Shocking—-you’re inaccurate yet again. It’s actually quite remarkable just how consistent this is. Points for you on that.

Kirk & Callahan in the morning, Dale & Holley in the afternoon. Something tells me you don’t know anything about or listen to either show, but your obsession wih trolling the team which dominates yours got away from you yet again.