Duane Brown felt “disrespected” by Texans and Bob McNair

Getty Images

Seahawks left tackle Duane Brown opened up to a former teammate about his departure from Houston, and admitted his frustration with the team’s negotiating tactics as well as comments by owner Bob McNair.

In a podcast with former Texans running back Arian Foster, Brown went into some details about his holdout, contract talks and eventual trade to the Seahawks. But it was clear after months of acrimony that McNair’s comments about “inmates running the prison” were something he couldn’t let pass.

I had to voice my displeasure,” Brown said, via Matt Young of the Houston Chronicle. “There was so many other people who wanted to but that fear factor was there. But I was like ‘[screw it’], you don’t have to, I will.'”

Of course, the next week he was traded to the Seahawks, but there was plenty of acrimony between him and the team already, centering on his hopes for a new contract and the subsequent holdout.

“It was bigger than football for me at that point,” Brown said. “I was disrespected. I can’t walk in that building and only play football. You have to interact with these people at some point. I’m not one of those people that can fake my way through that [stuff]. I can’t. It was too far gone, and the departure was needed. It had nothing to do with me wanting to get out of Houston or leave my teammates. Not at all.”

Brown traced the beginning of the end of his time there to a failed drug test in 2015 (a potential 10-game suspension was overturned on appeal). He tore a quadriceps muscle that year, and didn’t make any friends upstairs when he protested during the national anthem while he was recovering from the injury.

“I wanted to finish my career there, and I wanted security doing that,” Brown said. “I made it known right at the end of the season. There was no conversation throughout the whole offseason about it, which is why I didn’t show up to anything. There was a conversation around minicamp where they said we can’t do deals with two years left, but they’ve done it before. Basically they were like, ‘We’ve done it before but you’re not worth that.’ So, I’m like, ‘OK, well, I’m not coming to anything then.'”

The Seahawks were happy to take him off Houston’s hands, but it seems apparent his issues with the Texans were far beyond money.

43 responses to “Duane Brown felt “disrespected” by Texans and Bob McNair

1. This might be the only time I hear an athlete use the word “disrespected” and not roll my eyes. Brown kind of has a point because it isn’t about the man, it’s about all of the people on the team. McNair’s comments, if I am looking at it from a business leadership standpoint, were indeed very disrespectful and disdainful of the people who make him money. That’s pretty much breaking rule #1 of leading something.

2. Hopefully he understands that he is not going to get a ton of money from the Seahawks on a long term deal. They just don’t have that kind of money and he’s getting pretty old.

3. Like no one has ever said anything they didn’t mean before or their words came out wrong. Some of these players are just so sensitive. Brown just was greedy and wanted more money so he was looking for any excuse to justify his actions. The reason Brown didn’t get his extension and the new contract he wanted was because he is old and injury prone.

4. Que the hot take of “This shouldn’t bother him. Grow thicker skin.” but that same person will lose their own mind when they are SITTING at home watching TV and a couple of people out of 100,000 people took a knee during an un-televised anthem. They’ll give advice to others yet not head it themselves.

5. He will be offered a fair deal in Seattle and as most know, the team culture allows players to be expressive of their passion and causes. Different atmosphere was what he got by that trade deal and much respect will be shown…….as long as he leads and performs well on the field, that is. Here’s hoping it works out for him and team in the long term.

6. From Duane Brown’s mouth – Basically they were like, ‘We’ve done it before but you’re not worth that.’

And there’s your explanation Duane. It wasn’t lack of respect. It WAS lack of worth.

Sorry, it happens to all of us.

7. I honestly believe McNair is a bit of a country bumpkin old-school cat and didn’t really realize the implications of what he said and how it could be twisted into a racial insult. That term is used in my workplace quite a bit and has never been considered racial… As an NFL owner he definitely should be more careful with his words in this current culture.

However, the street goes both ways… Brown completely disrespected the owner of the franchise with his comments afterwards and that’s why he said what he said he wanted to get out.

In the end it worked out better for everybody. Texans got a draft pick he gets to go wherever he wants because the Seahawks are going to release him shortly.

Thank you for your service and have a good life.

8. So sick of hearing about being “disrespected”. It was an off the cuff comment that meant nothing. Grow up buttercup and earn that respect

9. jimthebuilder27 says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:13 am
    Boo hoo, my boss didn’t respect me.

Try getting a job in the real world. That’s exactly how the bosses and CEO’s treat their employees.
    ———
    Well maybe not the janitor. What kind of place must some of you work? I get along great with our company’s owner. Sounds like some of you work for some serious butt holes. I try to get along with everyone. Some people don’t want to get along with anyone and I try to respect that too.

10. I work for a great man/owner in my real world.
    I was happy to be laid off of a prior job from lack of mutual respect with that company’s owner.
    And in Duane Brown’s real world he finagled a change that presumably has worked well for him.
    Only concern I see in this article is this is yet another Bob McNair story that paints a picture that the Texans are going to stay problematic for the foreseeable future, but at least he didn’t flip Brown a double-bird on his way out.

11. jimthebuilder27 says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:13 am
    Boo hoo, my boss didn’t respect me.

Crybaby
    ———–

And they get sued for it.

NEXT!

12. factschecker says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:32 am

Yes, you know what everyone is doing. Nice whole cloth made up story to suit the narrative.

13. He wanted to paid at 35 like he was at 25, and oh just forget about my failed drug test in 2015, torn quad in 2016, and being a quitter in 2017. Get lost.

14. BelgiumHawk says:
    ————————————————————————————-
    Actually, with just a few simple moves (cutting Lane and Avril, restructuring Wilson and Wagner) the Seahawks should have about $43 million in cap space this year and $71 million in 2019. So they’ve got plenty of money to pay him and he’s younger than Andrew Whitworth. Stop believing the myths.

15. Sounds like somebody needs a safe space to go to and curl up if the boss says something he doesn’t like. He signs a contract and holds out because he doesn’t like it, why then did he sign it? His boss says something he disagrees with and he throws a tantrum.

I think i’ll request a safe space from my boss if he says something I don’t like and see what he thinks of that. I might spend entire weeks in there!

16. He is an upgrade (ROTFL) over Russell Okung, the LT on that Super Bowl winning* team (* for the failure to call defensive holding all season and especially in that SB). If the 12th has any question as to how the team has gone downhill, just compare the rosters of the current team compared to the roster in 2013. Gone are the entire O line, entire D line except for Michael Bennett. Gone are db Walter Thurmond, WR Golden Tate, Jermaine Kearse, and a TE (Zach Miller) who can both block and catch the football. Gone are SB MVP Malcolm Smith, and of course the Beast Mold. The downhill slide will continue until there is a change in the head coach position, which will likely not happen before we have another president inside the white house. Enjoy the ride.

17. Duane was a commodity whose shelf life was about to expire. It sucks but that is the truth. Duane also would like to consider himself as a SJW yet is more like a rebel without a cause. Hold tight to what you have Duane because other aspects of life fade and drift away as you get older!

18. Any way to rationalize all that cash you lost with a pointless hold out. I’m sure your teammates didn’t feel ‘disrespected’ by that at all as you wallowed in self-pity at that paltry $10 million you’ll make in 2018. What 33 year old Tackle thinks they will get a better pay day?

19. andymannfl says:
    February 15, 2018 at 10:30 am
    ———-

Uhhh an older Andrew Whitworth.

Then again, you prove why they’re playing for eight figures, the owners and agents grapple over said contracts, and you’re working at Garden Ridge stewing with jealousy that these guys make more per game than it takes you to make in three years.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    February 15, 2018 at 9:03 am
    jimthebuilder27 says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:13 am
    Boo hoo, my boss didn’t respect me.

Crybaby
    ———–

And they get sued for it.

NEXT!
    ————————
    Very rarely do they get sued for it with any success. Sometimes the snowflake community (fellow crybabies) gives them a lot of sympathy and tells them what a victim they are. And if everyone screams loud enough a CEO or organization might issue a heartfelt sound apology that if translated would read “there, you happy? Now shut up and go away”. But no matter how that little dance plays at first the result at the very end is that the complainer winds up on the outside looking in. Im not going to defend whether this is right or nit, but it is indeed how life works really.

21. Reality Check – NFL players your bosses are the GM and your head coach, don’t ever expect to have a relationship with the owner unless you are a TB12 type…how quickly you forget for some NFL owners the team is just one of their businesses.

I’d say the majority of Americans do not like their boss for one reason or another but we are good soldiers so we can get promoted…if you don’t want to be dis’d then start your own business, be your own boss, then we’ll all see how fast you drop the social justice BS and become a fiscal conservative after you realize what it actually takes to turn a profit when the govs got 2 hands in your pocket.

22. Ok so let me get this straight – you cheated, got injured, and became insubordinate, but deserved all the security in the world? Sounds about right to me.

23. factschecker says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:54 am
    jimthebuilder27 says:
    February 15, 2018 at 8:13 am
    Boo hoo, my boss didn’t respect me.

———
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You mean custodians right?

24. Oh grow up man!!!! It is a phrase that has been around more years than you have been around. You want to make a scene and force a trade? That’s fine. Enjoy all the moving problems and expenses, ripping your family out of their normal routines, schools, etc., and putting yourself into unfamiliar situations that in the long run will cost your reputation and money. All over a phrase that is not designed to be racially sensitive, but to be funny. You gave up a lot just to prove you are a snowflake.

25. Watch this be another bad bad extension the Seahawks sign. Guy is entering his mid 30’s with a history of injuries but looking for one past pay day. I personally beg Schneider to resist this urged and stop the 3rd contracts and paying old guys. One bad mis step and Brown is out 8 weeks to the season and the 8-12 million cap hit will just add insult to the Chancellor gift basket handed out.

26. Boo hoo. Cry me a river. I didn’t hear about him being disrespected while the Texans were paying him over $40M during his stay there. He decided to sit out because he was “only” being paid $9.4M.

I suspect he’ll feel equally disrespected if the Seahawks cut him since he’s due to make $9.75M next season.

27. The Texans have only torn up deals with 2 years left for JJ Watt & Andre Johnson and they were both much younger at the time which is a key point. The dude was under contract, injured and north of 30. He had no leverage at all. His solution was to not show up and work costing himself major money and DISRESPECTING HIS TEAMMATES. The Texans owner is from South Carolina and talks as folksy as Foghorn Leghorn which leads to confusion/interpretation of his meaning. The truth is that Bob McNair is one of the best owners in sports and most charitable citizens of Houston.