Sheldon Richardson to Vikings on a one-year deal

Getty Images

The Vikings just made another big purchase.

This time, literally.

The Vikings have announced that they have agreed to a one-year deal with former Jets and Seahawks defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson.

The one-year deal’s an interesting one, as Richardson may not have found the kind of long-term love he was seeking. But with a short-term deal with what is expected to be a talented team, he’s in good position to cash in a year from now.

109 responses to “Sheldon Richardson to Vikings on a one-year deal

1. I’m a Niners fan and I think we are close to filling out our roster and I am totally sold on Jimmy G after watching all 5 of his starts last year. I think the NFC is going to be HYPE next year. Minnesota, Eagles, Packers, Saints, Rams and I think my Niners are going to be up there too.

2. And all the Packer fans will say he’s also over rated… Love management going all in!

3. bad guy, bad attitude, acted like he was a huge star before he ever won anything. tons of potential but needs a new personality.

4. Ughhhh this pack fan is dreading the next few years. No Jordey. Ageing and bitter Rogers. No Ted Tompson. No Capers. Not looking good boy’s. No Damareis Randle either. Not good. AND the Vike’s keep pouring it on too make thigs worse. Not a good time too be a PACK guy. …. GO PACK

5. With Joseph and the rest of this defense, Zimmer will get the most out of Richardson. This defense is Loaded!

6. PrincePaul says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:10 pm
    *****
    Vikings, Eagles, Saints & Rams will be very good next year. Niners are on the rise (maybe another year away). Packers are going in the opposite direction. They think having one very good QB makes up for a lack of running game and a weak defense.

7. Great addition to a DL with Linval, Griffin and Hunter. Going to be tough to block those guys. Let’s see if we can make a run at Honey Badger and make it a trifecta ?!

8. numba1wiscosportsfan says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:28 pm

/////////////////////

Hang in there pack fan, you have a new GM and he is dealing. You guys picked up DeShone Kiser.

9. I was 100% confident he was going to sign based on the reports I was reading in that he actually stayed overnight, but when I was absolutely not expecting was only a one year deal. Will be interesting to see how that plays out next year

10. To recap: in the last 24 hours the Vikings signed the #1 free agent quarterback and just added the #1 free agent defensive lineman to their already #1 ranked defense. Have the other 31 teams in the NFL waved the surrender flag yet?

11. Liberalsruineverything says:
    March 15, 2018 at 3:10 pm
    Yea I would take him on a 1 year incentive laden contract. It would be smart on his part to play with all that talent then he will get the Keenum/McKinnon treatment from another team in free agency next year.
    ————————————

I nailed that one…….Ouch!! I think I pulled something slapping myself on the back!

12. Having watched all of his games with the Jets, he’s solid but not great on the D line. He will be motivated for money which is good for the Vikings but someone needs to babysit him until training camp. He’s also not going to be a positive influence in the locker room. Decent signing.

13. Great signing. 1 year is all I would want. Stephen will be ready to take that role a year from now. Richardson. Is younger and has more potential than Tom Johnson. Only reason Tom Johnson wasn’t resigned is because he will be 34 next season, which surprised the heck out of me because I figured he was a second or third year guy lol.

Hope this guy buys into Zimmers scheme and attitude. I’ve heard he is like Mo Wilkerson: kind of an attitude problem. We will see. Need to thank Latavius Murray for this signing, as he freed up cap room yesterday.

Vikes will be able to keep diggs, Kendrick’s, barrr, and hunter too. I can see hunter being the odd guy out if he doesn’t have a better season. I doubt they extend him this offseason. Diggs, Kendricks and Barr are the priority for sure to lock up. I bet they restructure joeseph, Rhodes, and Hitman contracts to open more cap space.

14. Sheldon? No, you can not have great defensive tackle play with Sheldon. A Sheldon can do your income taxes. If you need a root canal, Sheldon’s your man…but pass rushing and tackling is not Sheldon’s strong suit. It’s the name. “Sack the quarterback, Sheldon. You’re an animal, Sheldon. Bring down the ballcarrier, big Sheldon.” Doesn’t work.

[Loosely translated from When Harry Met Sally.]

15. ackattack22 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:46 pm

The Vikings gave up 38 unanswered points in the NFC Championship Game.

So no.

16. Congratulations Viking fans! I think this is the earliest off-season championship you’ve ever won!

17. I’m waiting to hear from our friends to the east on how the Vikings are in cap hell…

As reported after this story, we did renegotiate with one of our players. We didn’t insult him like the Packers did to Nelson.

Murray is staying put because he wants to be part of something special.

Cousins took less money because he wants to be part of something special.

There’s no guarantee how this season will work out, but I’m looking forward to the ride.

I’m proud to be a fan that doesn’t have to attempt to justify questionable decisions made by my favorite NFL team.

18. Can any law enforcement stop by the Dallas Cowboys headquarters
    to check on whether anyone is alive? One of the top interior
    lineman in the NFL available for one year and he goes to Minnesota.
    This used to be one of Jerry’s strengths. He would tell a player
    who needed a bit of a rep refresher,,,there was no better place to do so
    than in Dallas. He would talk about support, and publicity and soon the
    player would sign. What’s going on in Dallas?

19. Lets Recap:

1. Lucky to beat N.O.
    2. Lost in the NFCCC
    3. Never won a SB. #SKOL Vikes is the some Ole Vikes
    4. Terrible Contract for Cousins. 1 play and an injury in 3 seasons, your on the hook for all the $$$$$.
    5. Sheldon basically said, “pay me 1 year, I’ll try and prove myself and dip next season for more cash somewhere else”.
    6. Nobody wins on paper (just look at Philly).
    7. As for Murray, he didnt take a pay cut to stay, he took it to be free next year. He saw what the RB market looks like, he’s going to try and cash in also.

20. stellarperformance says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm

______

Sorry, you already claimed the offseason championship when you declared over and over and over that “the New Green Bay Packers” are the team to beat in the NFC North, on the basis of firing half your front office and coaching staff.

21. What’s left? OG / RT, maybe an upgrade next to Harrison Smith, LB depth in case we lose Kendrick’s and/or Barr next year. Throw in some CB depth and a new kicker? Looking pretty good. I would like to see them make an offer to the restricted nickel from Chicago.

22. Every year at this time, Vikings fans get out their off season champs gear on and post furiously on why the Super Bowl will be the Vikings for the taking in the upcoming year. Every year, whether they are in the playoffs or not, they choke.

Going all in for next year…..just like going all in with Bradford….etc

23. stellarperformance says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm

————————————————
    No congrats to you Stella – an hour is the longest you have gone before bringing your negativity to a viking post. It seems your obsession with our squad never ends.

24. with these additions that the Viking fans are so excited about, maybe they only lose to the Eagles by 21 points instead of 31….. Oh wait, the Eagles get their starting QB back at the beginning of the season so the beat down will be worse this time around. but you know, solid job on Richardson, he’s no Ngata but you know…. cute.

25. allday38 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    Lets Recap:

1. Lucky to beat N.O.
    2. Lost in the NFCCC
    3. Never won a SB. #SKOL Vikes is the some Ole Vikes
    6. Nobody wins on paper (just look at Philly).
    ************************
    Let’s Recap
    Vikes beat the Packers twice last year on route to winning the NFC North. Packers were knitting green and gold mittens on their couches while watching the Vikings come within one game of the Super Bowl.

26. What a nice fantasy football team you have there Barneys. Now only if you could win when it matters.

Vikings went from 8-8 to 13-3 in one magical season that ended in utter failure. Let’s wait to see if your team can even make the playoffs twice in a row.

Packers were in the playoffs for 8 straight years with a SB win. Took losing the 2nd best QB in the NFL for 9 games to break that streak.

Poor Viking fans, I hope your team can win at least 1 SB in your lifetime.

27. MOSSistheGOAT says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:15 pm

——————————————————————————————–

No — he’s a choir boy who fits right in with your Purple Barneys. Wait until he shows up late for meetings and gets suspended again. Remember — he’s the idiot who was driving at 140 mph while under the influence of marijuana and with a 12 year old kid in the car.
    Sounds like his IQ is perfect for a Vikings player to me.
    Think about it Barneys — if Pete Carroll didn’t want him, what does that tell you?

28. allday38 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    Lets Recap:

1. Lucky to beat N.O.
    2. Lost in the NFCCC
    3. Never won a SB. #SKOL Vikes is the some Ole Vikes
    6. Nobody wins on paper (just look at Philly).
    ************************
    Let’s Recap

If you’re going to say it, say it right. The Vikings were getting their teeth kicked out by the Eagles. The Vikings “great” defense must have forgotten they had a game to play that day.
    I can’t wait until Captain Kirk Cousins falls flat on his face while Case Keenum is leading the Broncos to the playoffs! That is really going to be salt in your wounds!!
    Make sure you Vikings fans keep showing up — because you have to pay all that dough to Cousins!!

29. That warm sensation that will being sensed running down a opposing QB legs will not be andrelin when staring at that front four of the Vikings. Prepare for soiled pants accompanied by the chant of SKOL!! Good signing, 1 rental year while drafting the future under tackle(3 technique) in this years draft or optioning out with no salary cap hit say a Remmers to sign Richardson to a long term deal allowing the ability to sign all that young talent. “Armed” with a franchise QB with the QB whisperer Coach Flip and RB Dalvin Cook return. A simmering Zimmer will be in the lab this off season correcting what went wrong with his D the last 6 quarters in the playoffs. Now let’s get S/CB Tyrann Mathieu!!!! I’d suggest we would be competitive when the games begin.

30. stellarperformance says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Stella

How predictable…

While I was typing my prevoius post and asking how long it would take our friends to the east…

You posted that crap immediately before mine.

Nowhere in my post did I claim the Vikings were winning a championship.

I leave that for our friends to the east, as they seem to think they are always the team to beat.

But history ha proven that more often than not, Packer fans need to look up above the Packers to find the Vikings in the standings.

As a Viking fan, I’m used to looking down to find the Packers.

31. allday38 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    Lets Recap:

1. Lucky to beat N.O.
    2. Lost in the NFCCC
    3. Never won a SB. #SKOL Vikes is the some Ole Vikes
    6. Nobody wins on paper (just look at Philly).
    ************************
    Let’s Recap
    ********************************

Who’s talking about G.B.?

Stay on subject.

32. stellarperformance says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm
    —–
    This from a guy who brags about preason power ranking. Typical Packer fan.

33. bad guy, bad attitude, acted like he was a huge star before he ever won anything. tons of potential but needs a new personality
    —–
    You have confused ex Jet DL. You’re thinking of Wilkerson.

34. mediasloppy says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:35 pm
    Goodness, I’m a Vikings fan till the end, but slow your roll. Nothing wrong with confidence, but too much of it is bad karma

//////////////////////////////

Agree, let’s just sit on our hands and not get excited. No such thing as karma

35. A 1 year deal is awesome for this guy. Say he is a cancer in the locker room or does something stupid, the Vikings would cut him. Richardson would then ruin his chances and cashing in next season.

As Billy Haywood in Little Big League said (slightly altered) “Hey Sheldon, what’s the going rate for a disgruntled DT who’s doggin’ it?”

36. gtodriver says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:02 pm

—————-
    Friends? Where exactly?

37. 49ers fans finding any excuse to talk about their team lol.

Congrats to the Vikings, hitting everything they need to. All that is left is getting one of those high profile guards to be there on draft night.

38. allday38 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:05 pm
    Lets Recap:

1. Lucky to beat N.O.
    2. Lost in the NFCCC
    3. Never won a SB. #SKOL Vikes is the some Ole Vikes
    6. Nobody wins on paper (just look at Philly).
    —————————————————————————————————————————-

Not my team, but still this is the most ridiculous comment on here!!
    1.) They were leading the Saints virtually the entire game
    2.) They made it to the NFC championship game moron.
    3.) Some ole vikes? They’re youthful on the roster smh
    4.) Horrible contract? Yeah that’s horrible I guess. Lets look around the league at contracts and talk, Bradford is horrible not cousins.
    5.) Who cares! Worked out for alshon and the eagles right?
    6.) Nobody wins on paper? Actually teams have. Super bowl favorites going into the season have one, find a better saying.
    7.) Again who cares. keep reaching.

39. nyneal says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:32 pm
    MOSSistheGOAT says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:15 pm

——————————————————————————————–

Sounds like his IQ is perfect for a Vikings player to me.

//////////////////////

Really? That’s where you are going. Look At Wilkerson, you know him, the pack signed him. Talking about being late to meetings, the Jets suspended Wilkerson multiple times because of that and left him in NY last year when they played New Orleans. Punishment for yet being late again for meetings. Think about it a Gang Green – if Todd Bowles didn’t want him, what does that tell you.

40. jucam1 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:20 pm

/////////////////////

Did Wentz go to some special doctor. He will not, repeat not be ready to go season opener. You’ll be lucky to see him by mid season. Torn ACL take up to a year to heal. Pay attention to your team.

41. numba1wiscosportsfan says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:28 pm
    Ughhhh this pack fan is dreading the next few years.

—————————————————–

Can you believe that people actually pretend to be fans of a team when they’re actually trolling. I cant believe people do that. My Vikings are stacked this year. Unfortunately, we all know that the Packers will beat us again, dominate the NFC North, and are likely to compete for the championship. Those damn Packers have made the Playoffs 8 years in a row with a healthy Rodgers. We got there twice – once we fell apart in the first game, and then last year, well you all saw it, a guy missed a routine tackle or we woulda lost to NO but that would have been merciful considering what the Eagles did to us. Made us look like high school players. Well, fingers crossed. Skol

42. stellarperformance says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:01 pm

//////////////////////////////

There’s a great article on PFT on the packer site talking about the pack possibly getting Kyle Fuller. There is no posting from you there, only on a Viking story. Trying to start fights again, that’s what packer fans do.

43. allight59 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:45 pm
    VIKINGS. WORLD. CLASS. ORGANIZATION. #DYNASTY

—————

Vikings Dynasty? Really?

44. Well when no one else wants your services there’s always the Vikings, he was probably sold as they walked him down hall at Vikings Head Quarters pointing out all the Vikings Super Bowl Trophies…..

Oops

45. The Viking fans are drooling all over themselves this off season…LOL

They may be on to something, because on paper they have improved a lot.

I Wonder where they stand (per Vegas) on chances to win the SB???

Calm down Skol people we still have to play the games…

46. tangysizzl says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:32 pm

Packers were in the playoffs for 8 straight years with a SB win.
    *****
    So if the Packers were in the playoffs 8 straight years with one SB win, does that mean they were utter failures those other 7 years? Come to think of it, with 25+ years of HOF QB play between Favre & Rodgers, why does each only have one championship? The 49ers had back to back HOF QB’s and had FIVE championships. It’s a shame the Packers have wasted most of Rodgers career with only one title by not giving him any support.

47. Ugh! The Vikings cut Jarius Wright! They kept Treadwell over Wright! This make no sense at all!!!! Treadwell is a bust and should have been cut mid season. Anybody expecting Treadwell to step up hasn’t watched him closely. He can’t get open!!!! Wright could get open!

Cut Treadwell, admit the mistake in taking him as a first rounder , and move on. Stop this Treadwell nonsense!!!!

48. 1.) They were leading the Saints virtually the entire game
    2.) They made it to the NFC championship game moron.
    3.) Some ole vikes? They’re youthful on the roster smh
    5.) Who cares! Worked out for alshon and the eagles right?
    7.) Again who cares. keep reaching.

Please, they only beat the Saints because they turned off their replay cameras. That made a huge difference in the game. Unfortunately, there was karma to be had for cheating and they got their teeth kicked in the next game by an avg QB at best.

The Cousins contract is awful. He’s good at times and bad at times but he’s never amazing. That was a desperation contract not the contract of someone coming to play for a SB team.

Sheldon is known to be a bad locker room guy and his last 2 yrs he’s avg’d 1.25 sacks a year…if that’s the best defensive lineman available…yipes. He’s had more arrests and ejections in the last 2 yrs than sacks…

Sorry there is not any reason for joy here. That is a TON of money to be tied up in nothing. It may work out but on paper these are bad verging on stupid signings…

49. I don’t know much about the guy outside of what I’ve read here and other places online. I guess we’ll see which guy you all say he is. If he’s a problem and/or doesn’t fit, he’ll be cut at the 53 like Datone Jones and the other fellow we picked up last year. Hope it works!

50. He told the Vikings how bad he wanted to play for them if they could just up their offer a little bit more because there was “another” team that offered quite a bit more so if they could just up their offer by 3-4 million he’d accept it because there was “another” team in the bidding…wink wink to this hour no one can locate that “other” team…hmmm
    oh yeah the Vikings increased their original offer by 4 million…N I C E!

51. taintedsaints…

there is no advantage to cutting Treadwell. He’s on his rookie contract, there is no cap savings by cutting him. Learn how the NFL works before making statements. I like Wright but you can’t pay a 4th WR 5 million. We are signing some big upgrades, we will have to make some cuts elsewhere. Besides, I predict Cousins will make Treadwell look a lot better. I was at the Viking home game vs the Pack and he was open consistently, but Case couldn’t find him. The only issue i have is Wright could be picked up by GB and our 4th stringers are starters on their pathetic team….

52. Shinnbone says:
    March 16, 2018 at 8:29 pm
    oh yeah the Vikings increased their original offer by 4 million…N I C E!

/////////////////////

I think you have this story mixed up with the Bears and Kyle Fuller. The other team is the packers. You have a hard time with reading comprehension.

53. I am so ashamed.

In previous posts, I referred to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

I am old and stupid.

Welcome to the Four Norsemen!

TRAIN’S COMIN’!

SKOL!

54. allight59 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:45 pm
    VIKINGS. WORLD. CLASS. ORGANIZATION. #DYNASTY
    ===========================================================================================================================================================
    If a Dynasty is 2 playoff wins in the last 13 years and getting blown out by 31 points in the most recent NFCCG, then yes, #DYNASTY!

55. Some of these comments are getting so long, that it looks like a book! Wow that Pack fans really have a problem. Well after Barr breaks the other collar bone it will be our fault that you are no longer relvant, a one man team falls again!

56. the sack numbers and even the tackle stats are pretty meaningless – Richardson’s job was to keep people off Bobby Wagner and the other LB’s so they could make tackles – and he did it very well. he was tough at the point of attack, and disruptive. Prime of his career, and playing for a contract – i’d say the Vikings just got better.

what a cr*p off-season for my Hawks – i get the re-load, but jesus, who’s lining up on Sundays next year? Among other things, losing Richardson like this is a complete waste of the 2nd round pick they dealt for him. oh well . . .

57. seahawks80 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 4:33 pm
    Vikings are going to have a very good defense, now if they can just find a QB that knows how to win they might be on to something…lol
    =========================================================================

Well, their new QB, Kirk Cousins led the NFL last season with four 4th quarter game winning drives.

Being that no other QB had more, I guess Kirk knows how to win.

The Skins had a below average defense the last several years and now he’s going to one of the top defenses in the league.

Still, they’ll play the first place schedule this season which means getting 13 wins again will be very difficult, but they should still be OK.

58. Really the Vikings have the Bengals to thank for turning their once inept franchise into a contender. If it wasn’t for all the knowledge that Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, and Duke Tobin bestowed upon him he wouldn’t have this once sad franchise where it is today, your welcome Minnesota

59. pdway says:
    “what a cr*p off-season for my Hawks – i get the re-load, but jesus, who’s lining up on Sundays next year?”
    ———————————————————————-

Idk too much on Richardson. Thanks for the insight.
    One final statement, on September 24th, 2012, it was definitely a catch/td.

60. Pieces are in place! 1st draft choice – get the best O’lineman available. 2nd choice – get a slot corner candidate! S K O L!!!!

61. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:08 pm
    golions1 says:
    March 16, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Vikes D looks very good on paper.
    _________

And grass. And field turf. And on your TV.

———————————-
    Except for in Philly. On grass. On everyone’s TV. When it actually counted.

62. Seattle GM John Schneider is executive of the year for 2017. LOL

He acquired Blair Walsh and he rented Sheldon Richardson for one season by trading away Jermaine Kearse and a draft pick.

63. “And, I agree the ‘hawks have many holes to fill. How is that possible to fix w/o having a hiccup here or there for young replacements? Maybe pete can regroup.”

These things go in cycles I guess – and it seems like you get about 5 yrs with one group – Hawks had ’12 to ’17, and it was a really good run. They’ve still got some good pieces, and most importantly have a QB w lots of good years left – so you re-group around that position. Basically what the Pats have done so well.

But I’ll miss that defense. Not many things more fun as a sports fan than when your football team has a killer D . . .