Belichick has nothing to say about Gronk

Getty Images

Free agency has come and gone, and the draft is approaching. Still, nearly two months after Super Bowl LII, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has yet to commit to playing in 2018.

Earlier this month, Gronkowski’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, was mum on the topic. Gronkowski’s boss likewise had nothing to say on Sunday at the annual NFL meeting.

I’m not going to speak for anybody else,” Belichick told reporters, via Tom Curran of NBC Sports Boston. “Conversations I’ve had with the players — and I’ve had a lot of them — I’m gonna keep those private between myself and the player. I’ll respect that coach-to-player conversation. I don’t want to speak for anybody else.”

Belichik then was asked whether the team needs to make alternative arrangements at tight end.

He covered it, but he said nothing. And the silence about Gronkowski is getting more and more deafening.

The next question becomes whether Gronkowski shows up for the start of the offseason program next month, and ultimately whether he reports to the annual mandatory minicamp, followed in late July by the start of training camp.

50 responses to “Belichick has nothing to say about Gronk

1. Gronk doesn’t need to publicly confirm he’s coming back. Unless he announces his retirement, it’s just a normal offseason for any player.

2. Gronk needs to move on. He’s got the rings, he’s got money, he needs to keep his senses.

3. ‘Trying to get the slider coming in over the outside corner?” Belichick said. “Yeah. I think I just covered that.”

Love em or hate em, that was a solid comeback Bill, solid response.

4. Bill covers a lot of questions without saying anything. A different version of the same article could be published every time the man steps behind a podium. He is the grandmaster. No back door sliders. Not on his watch.

5. I’m shocked. I can’t recall a time when Belichick was not forthcoming to the media regarding players who wish to renegotiate their contracts.

This is really unusual behavior for him.

6. Surely Gronk will inform the Pats of his decision “69” days before the season begins.
    He’ll then giggle and smash a beer can on his forehead while twerking.

7. Sadly, whether he retires or not, the Patriots will more likely than not, be in the Superbowl.

8. Doesn’t matter one way or the other. We just watched the end of the Pats run. It was most impressive, but it’s over. Gronk knows it, Belichick knows it, even the assistant coaches knew it.

9. That was a hang em and bang em curve, Bills heard everything from the media but the reporters keep throwing them hoping a different result. Gronk will be back but I am sure theyll look for a TE in case.

10. I think Gronk could have a great career in the movies if he wanted to. He could be like Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Sylvester Stallone. Schwarzenegger was an ex- Mr. Universe. Gronk has perhaps even a better image for those roles. He’d be a huge box office draw. I can’t remember there ever being a football player better suited for those Schwarzenegger type roles.

11. Gronk can’t save them now. It’s all downhill from here. They let a backup QB destroy them on the way to SB MVP honors and Brady choked away yet another big game.

12. LOL at anyone who says Brady choked the big game, or any big game. The defense lost the SB to the backup, but let’s keep the fantasy going. As for Gronk, he’s a big boy, figuratively and literally. He can make his own decisions, and I am sure he will, at his own time.

13. @JustBlameTrumpOrRussia

Brady throws for 500+ yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs and scores 33pts, meanwhile his defense gives up 41pts and you say Brady choked the game away? On what planet?

14. We know that Gronk has career earnings of $44.532M and he hasn’t touched a cent, because he lives of his endorsements. Therefore the $44M is now probably well over $100M. We also know that Gronk’s last concussion was serious because he didn’t pass the concussion protocol for over 1.5 weeks. While he plays the part of a lovable meathead who just loves the chicks, the truth is that Gronk is extremely close to his family and they are very protective of him.
    So if you were worth over $100M, had suffered a very serious concussion in the past year (and multiple major injuries over his career), had played for 9 seasons and are a certain future Hall of Famer because your results are near the best at the TE position, would you consider pursuing a new lucrative career in Hollywood while you still have your marbles? While I still think he comes back, don’t be surprised if his family are advising him to hang up his boots and he makes the decision to retire.

15. Let me pose a question: Why would Belichick OR Gronk want opponents to have any idea whether Gronk is going to play next year, as those opponents are trying to decide how to build their rosters?

16. Or to put it another way: “Hey Gronk, you going to play next year or what?” “Yeah coach, I thought it over an hour after I told the media I wasn’t sure, and of course I decided I was going to keep playing.” “Okay, obviously we aren’t going to tell anyone that until we absolutely have to, or at least until Fraudger singles us out and decrees that keeping secrets from the Jets destroys the integrity of the game.” “OK Coach, that makes sense. I mean, if I was an immature manchild I’d have told the Jets, Bills, Phins, and the rest of the world to load up on tall, fast linebackers, but I’m not, which is why I’m still on the team. So I’m actually going to keep my mouth shut and we’ll keep winning by doing our jobs.”

17. This is the kind of boss I can work for. If it doesn’t concern you or the business then you don’t talk about it. Not a Pats fan but I dream to actually find a boss who is just about business and doesn’t care about anything else.

18. uglydingo says:
    March 26, 2018 at 1:41 am
    We know that Gronk has career earnings of $44.532M and he hasn’t touched a cent, Therefore the $44M is now probably well over $100M.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    That’s a hell of a growth rate, and the IRS might have gotten their cut and maybe his
    agent.

19. uglydingo says:
    March 26, 2018 at 1:41 am
    _________________

So you’re trying to tell me by investing roughly 7 million dollars each year he’s gone from 44 mil to 100 mil in that short of time in this market? Give me the name of his financial planner. He’s world player of the year. Lol

20. pointtwopsiistheissue says:
    March 25, 2018 at 11:04 pm
    “ The end of the Patriots run” ??? Seriously they just lost a Super Bowl because the NFL allowed 2 TD’s that should not have counted. Don’t think it’s the end!

And they got to the Super Bowl because the NFL disallowed a touchdown in the AFCCG that would have put the game out of reach but for an early whistle.

Stop whining. They lost because they lost.

21. pointtwopsiistheissue says:
    March 25, 2018 at 11:04 pm
    ——————————
    Stop whining, the Pats have benefited more from questionable calls than any other team in the league…ever. Or have you forgotten the tuck rule?

22. Gronk is not replaceable. if he retires you move on, Bill would not be able to find anyone who is available to step in and replace Gronk so why worry about….

23. “Stop whining, the Pats have benefited more from questionable calls than any other team in the league…ever.”

Actually the whining is the Pats haters crying about refs. The fact is the Pats have been screwed just as much as any other team by the refs, but the double standards you people lives by says Pats screwed nothing to see here, any other team screwed its a national emergency.

24. JustBlameTrumpOrRussia says:
    March 25, 2018 at 11:24 pm

_________________________________

Evidently you don’t watch or understand football chip and yet you somehow ended up with severe Patsanoia. It’s obviously a very complicated condition.

25. harrisonhits2 says:
    March 26, 2018 at 11:17 am

——–

Ha ha that’s a good one! Care to list all these times the Pats have been “screwed”? Meanwhile, another rule gets changed but not til the Patriots have been the big beneficiaries of it. You’re as funny as that tylawspick6 who’s always making injury excuses for the Patriots.

26. turns out most of those marching snowflakes at the rallies the last 3 days were paid 50 bucks a pop. nice grass roots movement.. teenagers are useful idiots as they say.

27. TruFBFan says:
    March 26, 2018 at 7:59 am

———————–

Do you mean the play where Lewis had the ball trapped against his body and was down by contact, yet the refs somehow gave the Jags the ball?

28. ampatsisahypocrite says:
    March 26, 2018 at 11:58 am

————————

Tuck Rule
    Fat Ryan blocks an official so the whistle gets blown, stopping a likely touchdown.
    Riveron to scared to correctly overturn a touchdown in the Super Bowl.

That’s just a few. A real list would be as long as it would be for any other team. The difference is that the Patriots don’t use them as an excuse.

29. uglydingo says:
    March 26, 2018 at 1:41 am

Or maybe his investments haven’t done so well and he’s down to 5M.

30. I like that BB doesn’t run his mouth to the media. Nor does he make any excuses, nor does he throw his players under the bus, nor badmouth them out the door, nor blame or falsely accuse other teams – he is the anti-Tomlin.

31. uglydingo says:
    March 26, 2018 at 1:41 am
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    agent.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Gronk (like his QB, Tom Brady) probably gets top financial planning advice – the best of the best and has for a long time. By not spending any of his earnings it grows with a multiplier effect. I don’t know for sure but I expect that he has done spectacularly well.

32. The guy needs to retire. It’s pretty amazing to me the injuries this guy seems to overcome regularly and quickly. Blow out knees, jammed up vertebrate, cracked ribs, serious concussions. He just comes back and keeps playing. Enough man. He is getting frustrated and it shows. I saw him take the dirtiest of cheap shots on a guy this season. The guy was totally defenseless. And Gronk launched all 250 lbs at him, at his back no less. I get it, it has to be frustrating for Gronk. He keeps overcoming all these serious injuries and plays his azz off, and he gets held all the time. But it ain’t gonna change. Time to walk away and enjoy a year without a major injury.