Owners vote down West Coast teams’ proposal limiting early kickoffs

Getty Images

Teams in the Pacific time zone wanted a rule limiting how many early kickoffs they could be forced to play, but those teams were not able to convince the teams in the rest of the country to go along.

The NFL’s owners today voted down a proposal brought forward by the 49ers, Chargers and Cardinals, which would have limited how many road games Pacific teams could play early on the East Coast (and earlier in London).

The proposed rule said that no team will be scheduled to play more than three away games with a scheduled kickoff time prior to 1 p.m. in the time zone of their home stadium. For example, the 49ers have road games in Green Bay, Minnesota, Kansas City and Tampa Bay next season. The rule they proposed would mean that at least one of those games would have to be a 4 p.m. Eastern kickoff.

The problem is that the NFL likes to have flexibility for TV scheduling purposes, and limiting those early kickoffs could make it harder to set the television schedule to the league’s liking. And so the majority of teams who are east of the Mississippi won’t be accommodating the request of the teams out West.

59 responses to “Owners vote down West Coast teams’ proposal limiting early kickoffs

1. Tom Brady complained over a decade ago about having to travel west and the NFL immediately changed the rules to accommodate him and how often teams have to travel west.

2. I’d ask why, but then I remember it’s the NFL.

3. Well….. Why would they do anything that would be good for the Fan Base. They’re only interested in do things that drive fans away.

4. “Also there’s a part of me that doesn’t feel any sympathy for people on the west coast. They don’t know what it’s like staying up till 12:30 in the morning to finish watching primetime games, only to wake up about 4 hours later for work.”

Except, you know, when West Coast games go into extra innings and last until after midnight. And my start time used to be 3:30 a.m. back in the old days.

The West Coast teams need to start scheduling some 7 p.m. games to even things out.

5. Never understood the supposed disadvantage to a west coast team playing at “10 a.m. their time.” Don’t all teams start practicing at like 7 am?

6. maddmatter5 says:
    March 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm
    I’d ask why, but then I remember it’s the NFL.

—————–

Who’s forcing you to watch the games that late?

7. @madmatter

Do you know what it feels like the shut down the bar every night and have to get up for work with a raging headache with only 3 to 3 1/2 hrs every morning?

8. variant703 says:

Who’s forcing you to watch the games that late?
    ———————-

faithful49er707 says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:06 pm
    @madmatter

——————–

@Variant No one is forcing me, but I do remember getting maybe 2 hours of sleep after that Clemson-Bama National Championship game last year.

@Faithful, No, I’m usually at work when the bars close.

9. It’s just one of those things that go along with living on the west coast. All games should start at 1 pm local time no matter where played unless the game has national significance to merit a 4 pm start (or the Giants/Jets thing). People on the west coast know that if they want to watch early games, it’s brunch and football. Move on.

10. Then i think all east coast game shout start at 0400. and be taped delayed for prime time.
    Give them a taste of their own medicaine.

11. What doesn’t make sense is having 9 1pm games and 2 4pm games By all means any Pacific time teams should have a 4:05pm or later kick off on the east coast. Just makes sense.

12. It’s funny when your comment gets more down-votes than up-votes when all you’ve stated is a fact. I guess that’s what happens when you live in an Idiocracy.

13. J Huber says:
    Give them a taste of their own medicine

I’m thinking this must be a joke, if not you should really think things out before sending.

14. buttfumbles says:
    ——————————————————–
    No. The players have to get up at 5:30 AM on their body clocks and play at 10 AM. Multiple studies have shown that athletes bodies don’t really “wake up” until about 1-2 in the afternoon. I have watched West coast teams sleep walk through these 10 AM games for decades. reaction times are slower, mental mistakes are far worse. It’s totally unjust, especially in the playoffs.

15. This really has nothing to do with East Coast/West Coast Bias. The reason the NFL does this is to force everyone to watch a couple of Specific 4pm games. The Networks want this because the 4pm Time slot has more people watching and the networks schedule what they think will be the most watchable games of the day. They’re wrong of course and what is happening is people are just tuning out and doing other things if their team isn’t playing because there is only one or 2 options and they don’t want to watch either game. I certainly don’t blame anyone for that and I’d rather watch a golf tournament or Nascar than tune into an NFL Game that means nothing to me. I can’t speak for the gamblers though who will watch anything, But this is just one of the reasons why the ratings are down.

16. Of course, the BENEFIT for those west coast teams playing a 1pm game on the east coast is that they gain 3 hours on the trip home and can get a decent night’s rest in their own beds. East coast teams don’t have that luxury when they head west and spend the night flying home.

17. 16 games…if the Seahawks play 4 games @ 10 am, that’s like an NBA team playing 20 of their games at 10 am. It doesn’t happen. But it does in the NFL. Heck, 3 years ago Seattle played both their playoff games at 10 in the morning. How come golfers in the lead over the weekend get the 2 pm tee times instead of the 8 am? Why are other playoff and championship games played in late afternoon/evening?

18. Hawknballs says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm
    ———————————————————————–
    I guess that’s what happens when you state a bald faced lie, and say it is fact!

19. Hawknballs says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm
    ===========================================================
    Actually, you made that up. Tom Brady never complained about making more than one trip west. When did he say it? He usually doesn’t bring up league issues and leaves that to Belichick. Your statement is just misguided.

20. Hawknballs says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm

It’s funny when your comment gets more down-votes than up-votes…
    ________________________________________

What’s funny is an adult that trolls then counts up/down votes and whines about them.

21. I can’t speak for players and how their body clocks feel playing the early games. But as a fan who grew up in the eastern and central time zones and moved to the west coast as and adult . . . it’s way better having earlier start times than later.

22. seahawkboymike says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:35 pm

Of course they do. It’s the most unfair advantage in sports…
    ________________________________

The most unfair advantage in sports belongs to Pro teams that play in Denver. It’s not even close.

23. Hawknballs says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I actually went and found your original post, just so I could thumb it down.

24. maddmatter5 says:
    March 27, 2018 at 5:56 pm
    I’d ask why, but then I remember it’s the NFL.

88 45

…hey! they’ve got this thing called DVR

25. “It’s funny when your comment gets more down-votes than up-votes when all you’ve stated is a fact. I guess that’s what happens when you live in an Idiocracy.”

No that’s what happens when you lie and make things up that never happened.

26. Meanwhile, Brady is demanding that all Pats games are played at home. He will be very unhappy if his wish is not granted and this will affect tv ratings should he choose to tank.

27. Millionaires complaining to billionaires about “time zone changes”? Shut up and snap the ball. Like London is a fun road trip? Talk about a “who gives a crap I wanna go home game”… but I don’t see the NFL giving that up anytime soon.

28. Hawknballs says:
    March 27, 2018 at 5:55 pm

========
    Sweet fake news. Did not happen.

29. I think easy coast owners should propose playing 3 games on the west coast at 1pm eastern, so that the east coast teams don’t lose three hours that night on the trip back. Or that no prime time games can be played on the west coast period since they wouldnt get back home until 5am the next day.

I’m guessing west coast teams would be adamantly opposed to these suggestions.

30. I just to sympathize with the so called East Coast Bias angle until I found out that 80% of the US population resides in the Eastern and Central Timezones. Therefore any bias makes logical sense. Pareto Principle.

31. The system of scheduling was devised 16 seasons ago. It hasn’t changed since the start of the 2002 season. No player has ever complained and had it changed. Good grief.

32. Maybe it is marginally unfair to teams, but as a fan, I have always appreciated being on the west coast. Monday Night Football starts at 5:30 pm, doesn’t keep you up too late. Sunday football starts at 10 am! That’s truly a full day of football, and again, ends at a reasonable time.

Now I live in GMT + 8:00 so London games start at 9:30 pm Sunday, then usual games start at 1 am / 4am Monday, until daylight savings ends and it gets an hour worse. Time zones! Everybody has one. Whatever, I am just glad the Seahawks weren’t backing this whiney proposal

33. screamingyellowzonkers says:
    March 27, 2018 at 9:05 pm

I’m guessing west coast teams would be adamantly opposed to these suggestions.

______________________________________________

Actually I’ve been saying this for the last few years. It’s only fair in exchange to start some West Coast games early in the morning on the West Coast, especially if the West Coast teams are sleeping in their own beds and don’t have to travel, why not?

West Coast teams in the East play at 4 PM Eastern and vice versa
    East Coast teams in the West play 10:00 AM start.

It’d be great to force some of these lushes to wake up early!

34. Of course it was voted down. It’s a CLEAR advantage for the east teams. “Competition” committee working for the fans! Lol

35. There are way too many 1 PM games. It seems to me that the networks want to have as few 4 PM games as possible so they can artificially create 1 “National” game at 4 PM so they can get good ratings on it.

As a fan of an east coast team, i watch every second of my team at 1 and the when 4 PM rolls around, i’d like to switch around to a bunch of games, but i can’t because there’s usually only like 3 and they seem to always go to commercial at the same time.

I’m surprised more people don’t complain about this because you really don’t get your money’s worth out of redzone or sunday ticket when you watch a complete game at 1.

It wasn’t long ago that there would be 4 or 5 games at 4 at it was great.

I’m tired of every partner trying to squeeze every nickel out of the games. It is starting to hurt the product.

36. I’m fine with them not doing this as long as they go back to making east coast teams flying west more then 3 times a year. If you’ve ever travel west you know its way easier then flying back east. Its absurd they don’t make the east coast teams fly west but dont do the same for teams flying east.

37. East coast teams that play WCT on Sunday or Monday night basically lose a day traveling home. It all evens out except it seems that the schedule monkeys at Park Ave still can’t, or won’t, figure out how to schedule bye week teams into TNF. Why does NE have to play 8 of the last 12 games vs Denver in Denver? Might have a lot to do with the success the Broncos have enjoyed.

38. Awwwwww…the West Coasters are upset that they have to get up a little early to watch a game? You do realize that there are nearly 2/3 more people in the Eastern and Central time zones than yours, right?

Since the networks and the NFL cater to you enough with prime time games as it is, I think they’ve conceded enough. Grow up. The world doesn’t revolve around California.

39. Ewhite1065 says:
    March 27, 2018 at 6:57 pm
    __________________________________________

You had me until NASCAR! 🙂

40. What was the vote count? How many owners voted for it?

I’d like more 4 PM games and have no problem with the idea that all west coast teams start their east coast games at 4.

LOL at commenters who apparently missed the point that teams don’t get to choose their own start times!

41. In the days before widespread airplane travel, teams would get on trains to play teams on each coast.The games were scheduled so a team could ‘swing’ through the east coast on back-to-back weekends before heading back to the Midwest or west depending. They would set up practice sites near the game, stay in hotels, and then play the game. I didn’t read about any whining then. How about flying in a day earlier, practicing at a field nearby and playing the at the designated time?

42. Sometimes life just isn’t fair…Is it fair that sometimes an ET/CT team hosts a 4:05 game denying them the right to see the national 4:25 game? If the NFL wants to really accomplish something, get rid of that stupid “home exclusivity rule” where a game can’t be shown opposite your team’s game.

43. Players get paid millions to play a game.
    They should not be complaining about starting work early.

44. justbegbaby says:
    March 27, 2018 at 8:32 pm

—————————–

Why? He wins just as many on the road.