Draft prospect Antonio Callaway: I’m not the bad person the media portrays

Getty Images

During his freshman season at Florida in 2015, Antonio Callaway was an All-American return man. During his sophomore season in 2016, he was the team’s leading receiver. And then he was kicked off the team for a series of off-field incidents before his junior season.

Now Callaway is hoping that in 2018, NFL teams will look past those off-field incidents and look at what he’s capable of doing on the field.

Callaway would be wise not to blame himself, not the media, for any perceptions of him as a person. It wasn’t the media that led a woman to accuse him of sexual battery when he was a freshman. (He was later cleared in a Title IX investigation, although the claim he made in his defense, “I was so stoned, I had no interested in having sex with anyone,” isn’t likely to impress NFL teams.) It wasn’t the media that got Callaway cited for marijuana possession in a separate incident. And it wasn’t the media that caused Callaway to throw away his final chance on the Florida football team when he was entangled in a credit card fraud investigation.

NFL teams know what kind of athlete Callaway is. It remains to be seen whether they are convinced he is the kind of person they want on their team.

28 responses to “Draft prospect Antonio Callaway: I’m not the bad person the media portrays

1. Bad person, maybe not.
    But between the assault accusation, the credit card scheme, and the not mentioned here time you were arrested for marijuana possession while driving with a 40-year-old criminal who had been a record for for battery, cocaine possession, drug trafficking, grand theft, and lewd and lascivious behavior with a child – you certainly don’t make the right life choices.

4th round to the Bengals with ya!

2. Oh he’s not ? Talk to any florida alum or current student athlete that was there with him. A first class punk

3. Yes, judge him based on his actions, lol..

Have to agree with the poster above, he sounds like a Bengal..

4. The credit card thing doesn’t bother me that much. The pot thing doesn’t bother me at all. The sexual misconduct does bother me, but only if the allegations are true. The kid is perhaps the best WR prospect in the draft, on film. There’s no two ways about that. I would tend to steer clear of guys like this, but America, in general doesn’t necessarily agree with me. If we, as a nation, were really turned off by sexual misconduct by men, we certainly wouldn’t have elected the guy we elected to the oval office. So if that’s the way we want to treat our women, this kid’s a first round draft pick. This kid is not going to be making decisions that effect our lives. Boys will be boys, right? Sign him up!

5. charliecharger says:
    March 31, 2018 at 3:06 pm
    ________________________________________

6. These are the only problems that we KNOW of. If Florida cut him with all his abilities, I have to believe there are more skeletons in the closet. 7th rounder at best, maybe undrafted.

7. “Let my actions speak for me.”
    ==========================================

They do. Why else would we think you’re a human red flag?

8. If NFL had any morals or standards they wouldn’t allow players like this in the league but as the Texans owner stated they are letting the inmates run the prison.

9. commentawaitingdeletion says:
    March 31, 2018 at 3:22 pm If you could just keep your politics out of football sites I’d be happy to keep my football out of political sites.
    **********************************************************
    I’d say that’s Mike Florio’s decision. Florio doesn’t seem bothered by our expressing social or political things. The kneeling and Redskins name are big time topics on this site. Our laws are evolving. Pot is legal now, so teams are changing the way they view players who use it. Sexual assault is becoming more accepted too, or Trump wouldn’t be in the white house. We’re discussing Antonio Callaway, and he was charged with something the president did before we voted for him. So I think America has spoken, and this kid will be a first round pick, and I’m not expecting a backlash from the fans, who are also voters. There’s just no way to separate this stuff, unless you put your head in the sand. I’m proud to be an American. If our country embraces something, then that’s the way it’s going to be. Evolve.

10. charliecharger says:
    March 31, 2018 at 5:42 pm
    commentawaitingdeletion says:
    **********************************************************
    Hey big Guy, pretty sure pot is not legal in most places. Also pretty sure sexual assault is not becoming more accepted in America either! Sounds like maybe You should keep those things in mind.

11. charliecharger says:
    March 31, 2018 at 5:42 pm

commentawaitingdeletion says:
    **********************************************************
    ____________________

Actually in this instance it was your decision since you chose to insert politics into it. Or is it your contention that you are not responsible for your decision? Do you always struggle taking personal accountability for your actions? The inability to exercise good taste and judgement is devolution not evolution.

12. dynastypolice says:
    March 31, 2018 at 4:37 pm

We’ve seen this before, ghetto is what ghetto does
    ————
    I’m not exactly sure what you are saying unless it’s an obvious stereotype. You might want to take the time and think about it. People have made their way out of the ghetto at great odds. I give credit to any inner city kid who managed to go to college in order to get a foothold in the NFL or pursue a degree. These things don’t happen in a vacuum. College sports are a billion dollar industry and they don’t care anything about who is supplying their bottom line until a talented kid like the one above becomes too hot to handle. It’s an industry. Some people fail and some people overcome. Randy Moss was one of those guys. He took years to come out the otherside. I’m not saying this guy is a gem or will amount to becomming a productive citizen. I’m hoping one day he does, along with anyone deemed a ghetto person doing whatever ghetto people do…

13. The Florida Gators have notoriously had a ton of turds play football over the years. The fact that this particular turd was so bad off the field that even THEY would rather dump him than use his talent on the field says all you need to know about him. Sorry, kid. Your actions have spoken for you and they are not saying the things you want them too. Young or not, actions have consequences and the consequences for stupid actions can be pretty harsh down the road. Next time think about what you are doing. I have no sympathy for him and wouldn’t want my team to sign him in any capacity. He can grow from his mistakes but nothing says he needs to make millions doing it on TV in the NFL.

14. “I’m not this bad person that the media portrays,” Callaway said. “I mean, I can’t stress it enough. I just gotta . . . actions. Let my actions speak for me.”

First, yes you are a bad person. Second, your actions have already spoken for you. They say you’re a bad person.

15. I’m sure Aaron Hernandez said the same things. Maybe the Patriots will draft Callaway then.

16. Of course he’s from Florida. They’ll take anyone at Florida. You have to be REALLY bad to get kicked out of Florida

17. “I was so stoned I had no interest in having sex with anyone”—- haha. Maybe honesty is a silver lining here? And whatever came of the whole credit card fraud thing, any charges?

A couple years ago a guy slid to the Chiefs bc of character concerns, and he has been a contributor. This guy will slide but you know what, that’s not necessarily a bad thing for him. He will be up for a second contract sooner than if he were a 1st rounder, and we all know those rookie contracts ain’t where it’s at these days. If he can produce and keep his nose clean he’ll get paid when it counts. See how I slipped that pun in there?

18. I wonder, even when he was on the team, how many times guys like this actually see the inside of a classroom. The team schedules their lives, but if it’s really a university, there ought to be some minimum standards – it might serve them well in later life.

19. I hope he’s truly grown and gets another chance. But the bigger question is….what is it with Gator football? How do they continually have turds floating thru their program? Granted it’s the $EC but still.