Report: FOX now wants Joe Buck, Troy Aikman to handle Thursday nights

Getty Images

After trying and failing to hire Peyton Manning, FOX now wants to do on Thursday Night Football what CBS and NBC did previously: Give double duty to the network’s top Sunday crew.

That would be Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, whom FOX is asking to handle Thursday nights, according to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post.

It’s not clear yet whether Buck and Aikman will accept that offer. They’ll obviously want more money for more work, and they might object to the schedule. Buck, in particular, already has a busy schedule in the fall because he handles baseball postseason games for FOX. The network might need to give the pair some Sundays off to avoid burning them out.

FOX made a major five-year investment in Thursday nights and wants to find the right broadcast team. Other potential analysts whose names have surfaced include the recently retired Joe Thomas and Carson Palmer.

94 responses to “Report: FOX now wants Joe Buck, Troy Aikman to handle Thursday nights

1. Troy Barkman offers nothing to a telecast other than his love for his Dallas team and his hate for everyone else in the NFC. He likes to talk about himself and he offers surprisingly nothing about football – it is as if he is still on the sidelines after being leveled by Lavar Arrington. It should be noted that Tony Romo has a superior grasp of the game and is 100x the analyst that Barkman ever was. I’m not even sure if Troy is lucid during the telecasts.

2. Try something different – have NO box crew at all – just televise the games with all the in stadium sound – include the slow motion replay shots – people will love it.

3. “Troy Barkman offers nothing to a telecast other than his love for his Dallas team and his hate for everyone else in the NFC. He likes to talk about himself and he offers surprisingly nothing about football – it is as if he is still on the sidelines after being leveled by Lavar Arrington. It should be noted that Tony Romo has a superior grasp of the game and is 100x the analyst that Barkman ever was. I’m not even sure if Troy is lucid during the telecasts.”

Let me guess, Eagles fan? Redskins? I’m an Eagles fan and can say with total confidence that nothing you said is anywhere near accurate. Aikman is about as good as there is and he NEVER has been a homer. I can’t stand when simplistic fans make these dumb generalizations based on nothing but childish hatred because the guy QB’d a rival team. Grow up. Sadly you’re likely in at least your 40’s and still profess hatred for an opposing player who hasn’t seen the field in forever.

4. Ultraviolet Thunder says:
    April 2, 2018 at 7:26 pm

___________________

We must be watching completely different football games, because Aikman never treats the cowboys any better or worse than anyone else. He always calls a bad play a bad play. I think he’s one of the best (Romo up there with him), and this is coming from someone who loathes the cowboys.

5. Some Sundays off to prevent burnout??? Are you kidding me? What’s so exhausting about working 1-2 days a week for 3 hrs each time to simply talk football? Not to mention the mega $$$ they’ll be earning for just talking.

6. Why don’t they treat the Thursday Night game like any other game on their schedule? In other words, if the matchup is say Philly-Dallas, have Buck and Aikman call the game. If the game is Cleveland-Cincinnati, have their 6th or 7th rated broadcast team do the game. Personally, I couldn’t care less who announces a football game. You could have Dennis Miller and Rush Limbaugh on the call, and if it is a game I am interested in, I will tune in. If not, I won’t. “Dressing up” a Cleveland-Cincinnati or Chicago-Detroit game with the “A” broadcasting team is putting lipstick on a pig.

7. Being relegated to thursday night football is a broadcasters version of being sent tomthe gulag

8. Anybody that likes Joe Buck should have to take a drug/alcohol test.

The only possible way to alike Buck would be in an altered state of mind.

9. Fox doesn’t seem to have a clue how bad this team is. I always groan when my team gets a national telecast and they show up. On top of being bad they will be exceptionally clueless because they will have no time to prep for the game. Seriously Fox, get some new standards.

10. Not sure what “name calling” does for you when addressing Troy Aikman but you really dont watch much football obviously.
    I get made at him because he IS so Hard on the Cowboys! He calls good games. He gives credit where it is due and never once shied away from giving division rivals props!
    Anyhow I love the way Romo calls the games, the insight is incredible. Would like to see Buck leave, not a fan. Why cant this league find another Madden! Love That Guy!

11. Aikman is aggravating to knowledgeable fans, ok for the casual fan and great for the people trying to learn the game. The best I can say about Buck he does well on Baseball. I would prefer a new crew.

12. .
    get rid of thursday games and problem is solved.
    only reason for thursday is $$$. there is no other reasons for it. get rid of it.

13. bspurloc says:
    April 2, 2018 at 8:36 pm

get rid of thursday games and problem is solved.
    ——————

The only reason for Sunday and Monday games is $$$. Should we scrap them as well?

14. I hate the cowboys but romo and Aikman are two of the best. Aikman puts serious prep in to calling his game so imagine he won’t take the gig.

15. TheDukeofWellington says:
    April 2, 2018 at 7:42 pm

——————————————————————————————–

Many years ago, one of the networks did just what you suggest. They used no one in the booth and just let the sounds of the game go to the tv audience. Surprisingly, they got negative reviews of it from fans and the media.

16. So they want even lower ratings ? If it’s not a good game I’m not going to torture myself listening to Joe Buck ramble on and on and spitting out useless stats that some producer is putting into his giant empty head.

17. The networks should fire everybody and replace them with the fanboys who post here every day, 24/7, because they are unemployed, live in Mom’s basement, but they know everything about everything.

18. I have always found aikman,to be IDK how to put it. But he just seems like he actually doesn’t bring anything to it. He seems like he says the obvious like(now see bell took a stutter step to left and found his hole great patience) that type plus he seems to always be very hometown,Dallas this Dallas that when I played we did this or that. I just want a guy who brings a different view and doesn’t state the obvious,maybe a guy who isn’t gonna explain what I just saw because duh I just saw it but maybe tell me what he thinks is the play there running. Kinda how romo,does he actually did it often he would say now look dalton is looking to AJ he is gonna do a hook route. But ultimately it doesn’t matter cause 90% of time I just turn sound off. Oh also how do they know aikman and buck or there number 1 group? Cause it seems to me if they put me on all the number 1 games that had playoff spots on the line etc that I would be as well,it’s not cause there good it’s cause there on for the best games. Maybe they should switch them all around and see who gets best ratings or have a fan vote.

19. Troy Aikman during a Cowboys-Giants game around 2010 “Miles Austin might be the best receiver in the NFL”..he actually said that, and Buck is terrible

20. I dont get the Joe Buck Hate — He explains the play and shuts up, Troy gives obvious explanations on whats happening. They are the conservative group for me esp compared to NBC Sunday night or god forbid Jim Nantz, who has stories about the players families and family outings, and giving away his tie. Nobody has ever done anything negative according to Nantz and all college atheltes are 100% family oriented not interested in the opposite sex according to his endless player narratives.

I really think Buck just does his job and doesnt say much which is what viewers would normally enjoy.

21. Great idea as I do not watch TNF due to players out with injuries and sloppy play. I
    I will watch Sunday or Monday just not TNF. Bad idea done for greed.Hogs get slaughtered.

22. Aikman doesn’t know the game today. Watch Romo who is more current and then listen to Aikman. Aikman says stuff that Buck or any other casual fan would now.

23. Pick two fans each week to do the game. They have to be serious but make it fun. Very few people care what those people say so put a regular fan in there and give people someone to root for. If not two people than one with a rotating player. It can’t be any worse.

24. I used to like Aikman, but for some reason, he is really getting on my nerves now!! I guess I am comparing him to Tony Romo, and he doesn’t quite “cut the mustard” anymore! It sounds like he is talking in a monotone to me. 😦 Whomever said he is pro Cowboys, obviously does NOT pay attention……..

25. Aikmen isn’t a HOMER, HE SIMPLY TALKS TOO MUCH. From the time Buck says “Elliot pushed out of bounds at the 5” Aikmen talks until the next snap. No dead air. The man is nauseating.

26. I honestly didn’t think they could do anything to make Thursday Night Football worse. I guess Fox just isn’t satisfied with one unlistenable game each week and they’re going to go for two.

27. Good! I can’t stand these clowns. Terrible takes on football, offer not much to the broadcasts. If I never have to see them again except for the rare time I tune into the crappy Thursday night games, that’s a win for me.

28. FOX Executive: “We need to do something to fight the perception that NFL players are the world’s most self-absorbed narcissists.”
    Employee: “Joe Buck just said he could do Thursday nights.”

29. This is good news. Now I don’t have to hear these two idiots.

On a side note, I wonder how Joe will handle the day Aaron Rodgers retires. Hope he’s working on finding a safe space to curl up in.

30. Neither one of them is any good. More than half the time their comments are just plain ignorant of the game of football. They’re biased, boring, and mute-worthy. Their only redeeming quality is that they’re good for an occasional laugh.

31. ike1973 says:
    April 3, 2018 at 8:45 am
    How about Aikman and Romo together?

——

Tony would never do it. Aikman would constantly remind him that he has more SB wins than Tony does postseason victories.

32. My biggest problem with Buck is he’s a total cheesehead.
    His call though on the Diggs touchdown vs the Saints was phenomenal though.

Who watches Thursday night football anyway?

33. patsfan1960 says:

April 3, 2018 at 9:39 am

Just to let you know FOX nobody watches TNF. .the games all suck…

_____________________________________________________________________

Ratings say otherwise. Ratings say people do watch. AS its still the highest rated TV program on during the weekdays on NETWORK TV.

34. I hope they do it. It would officially kill Thursday night football. Buck and Aikman are the worst announcing duo. Why? Let’s see. As insightful as Aikman can be at time (not really), the game has simply passed him by. He doesn’t really add anything to the game that we don’t already know. Unlike Collinsworth or Romo who actually tell you things that you don’t already know. Also, Aikman is really biased towards QBs.

Buck has got to be one of the worst play by play announcers. He has very little enthusiasm and his calls are some of the most boring of mankind. “Mitchell…Mitchell….Mitchell”. He is also obsessed with the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. It seems like the two of them just slobber over Rodger’s D anytime they’re calling one of his games. “That was the greatest 1 yard TD throw I have ever seen!!!!”

35. If Buck doesn’t want to do it, just pair Aikman with someone else on Thursdays. It’s the color guy that gives viewers insights. The play-by-play guy only tells us what we’ve already just seen. Any competent play-by-play guy who stays out of Aikman’s way should do fine.

I’m an Eagles fan who (of course) hates the Cowboys but has to agree that Aikman is one of the best color commentators in pro football. I’d be glad to hear him on TNF.

36. interesting. I don’t watch postseason baseball when Joe Buck is the broadcaster. And I’ve found that when I ‘watch’ TNF games, I spend more time looking at my tablet than actually watching the game (usually when I look up from my tablet, it’s just another commercial).

If FOX can have Buck on TNF as a trade-off for ALL postseason baseball, I might work for me.

37. I am convinced that many of the posters here simply “hate” everything…. They must lead some sad pathetic lives…

Go outside guys…get some fresh air…it will all be ok.

38. Troy Aikman? really? Aren’t we done with this experiment? I can see Joe Buck. But not Troy Aikman. Lets go with Joe Buck and Tony Romo. That would be a good pairing.

39. Romo is by far the best announcer I’ve listened to in a long time and I’m an Eagles fan.

40. aikman and buck especially aikman should do the tuesday friday double for women’s prison league football , there are 50 color announcers I would rather hear than aikman . Dang ed near as many play by play guys ahead of buck.

41. As others have pointed out, Aikman is FAR from being a homer. If anything, he’s tougher on the Cowboys which I’ve always admired. Like most, I don’t like the Cowboys either, however he’s no “fan” in the booth. He’s also a very good announcer to us “common” fans, with apologies to the poster above that’s apparently more knowledgeable than us “common” fans.

42. I can’t stand when simplistic fans make these dumb generalizations based on nothing but childish hatred because the guy QB’d a rival team. Grow up.

____

Best quote ever on this site. Thank you…..

43. unbiasednfltruth says:

April 2, 2018 at 8:30 pm
    Need a Joe Buck mute button.. keep wondering when these two are just going to come out and kiss and get it over with already.
    ______

Joe Buck cannot cheat on his true love, Aaron Rodgers.

44. This will go along with the lack luster games we have seen on Thursday, these two are as lack luster as it gets when calling a game.

45. Honestly surprised at all the love for Tony Romo in this thread. I find him annoying as hell. Never shuts up.

46. eaglesince86 says: