Rams keep going all in, possibly with short-term players

Getty Images

The Rams have acquired several key players in the past month, and they eventually may have to make some tough decisions about which ones they’ll keep.

Defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has signed a one-year deal, and now receiver Brandin Cooks has been acquired as he enters the option year of his rookie contract. With defensive tackle Aaron Donald in the same posture and with only one franchise tag to use, the Rams eventually may have to let one or more of these guys walk after 2018.

It likely won’t be Donald, who remains on track for a long-term deal. Between Suh and Cooks, the Rams are staring at an either/or decision (assuming Suh’s deal doesn’t include a no-tag provision).

The Rams didn’t hesitate to take a similar risk last year, adding receiver Sammy Watkins in the final year of his contract and letting him walk away via free agency. Still, even with the added compensatory draft-pick consideration that comes from free agents leaving, the Rams watched a second-round pick walk away this year when Watkins left, and they could see their 2018 first-round pick become a one-year stint with Cooks.

Beyond Suh and Cooks, the Rams traded for veteran cornerback Aqib Talib with two years left on his current deal, and they traded for former Chiefs cornerback Marcus Peters with one year left on his rookie contract and an option year.

The end result of the various trades (including picks added from the trades of defensive end Robert Quinn and linebacker Alec Ogletree) is that the Rams have only one third-round pick, three fourth-round picks, and two sixth-round picks in the 2018 draft. They also have given up a second-round pick in 2019.

The approach cuts again the approach that many teams take to building the franchise, opting for cheap, young talent that can be developed at low cash and cap numbers and that becomes the nucleus of a team that has consistency and continuity.

48 responses to “Rams keep going all in, possibly with short-term players

1. Won’t be long before they’re back to where they usually are – drafting in the top five

2. Cue patriots bandwagon nation now bashing a guy with 65 catches, 1082 yds and only deep threat they had

3. the problem with a lot of teams is that they are building a team to win 1 superbowl, when the good teams build teams to win many superbowls.

4. Their window closed last season. Team building through free agency never works. Been proven time and again. Goff was a flash in the pan who’s coach calls the plays for him. 40 year old left tackle who’s on the back nine. They were incredibly healthy last year and that never repeats. They took advantage of an easy schedule and a down year in the conference as a whole. Back to 8-8 where they belong.

5. Remember when Washington used to do this all the time, and they wound up winning multiple Super Bowls because of this?

Pepperidge Farm remembers!

6. Jimmy G will destroy the NFC West next year. Kyle will you the short passing game with Jerrick and those two 2 DT and outside CB’s won’t mean a damn thing.

The NFL will never be the same.

7. A trade like this makes me wonder who the backups are at QB and RB for this team. Arguably, the WRs and TEs and linemen are largely fungible. If Goff and/or Gurley go down, this team, for this season at the very least, are done.

8. derp363 says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:01 pm

————
    if they can win the SB it’s worth it … you can count on one hand the teams that win many superbowls.

9. I will laugh so hard when the Rams DON’T win the Super Bowl.
    I don’t believe they will even play in it.

10. The Rams are serious.

Time for the Philthydelphia Football team to stop praising themselves and parading around like they have no common sense and to focus on being more than the one hit wonder they are.

11. Ultraviolet Thunder says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:25 pm
    The Rams are serious.

________________________________

Parading around is quite literally your team’s god-given right when they win the Superbowl. Bitter about something? Guessing you’re a Vikes fan.

12. Ultraviolet Thunder says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:25 pm
    The Rams are serious.

—— only one team can get a repeat of the Super Bowl win this year.

13. Smart move… They have a legit QB who is cheap. Load up now…

In three years when Goff is on contract 2, the Rams will only be able to dream of having talent around him.

14. Spent all of the Fisher era “building for the future”. Learned last year that the future is now.

Eight Pro Bowlers on their roster before adding Talib, Peters, Cooks and Suh.

Yeah, they may not win the SB but it won’t be for a lack of trying. Don’t see how improving your team (and they have) is a bad thing.

15. The Rams did try that approach and for ten years they were bad , But it did enable them to grab these guys and mix them in with the key players from last year . This is a bit different then the Eagles approach as we let Watkins , Tru , Olgetree leave and there pay is a combined 40 million per year . The Rams are smart because if these new guys don’t pan out they will let them leave …The Rams have plenty of players on the team that are young and on rookie contracts and they have the most cap space of any team next season . But I think most of the players will work hard and play hard for the next big payday

16. dejc421 says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:11 pm
    derp363 says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:01 pm

————
    ===================================================================================

You need 2 hands actually.

Steelers 6 SB wins
    Pats 5 SB wins
    49ers 5 SB wins
    Cowboys 5 SB wins
    Giants 4 SB wins
    Packers 4 SB wins
    Raiders 3 SB wins
    Redskins 3 SB wins
    Broncos 3 SB wins

Several have won 2 Super Bowls but I don’t count that as winning many so I left them out.

But that is 9 teams with 3 or more wins 6 teams with 4 or more wins and those 6 teams don’t fit on one hand.

17. It’s so weird how people are bashing a team that’s been absolutely awful for the last ten years and are trying to do something about it. Finally.

It’s fun to have hope though.

18. Love the jealousy guys…Keep it coming.

Just got a better WR than Watkins for half the salary…for the 23rd pick in the draft.

Those 23rd picks are such a guarantee…insert eyeball here.

19. Great move he is already familiar with Goff plus half of the price Watkins wanted and he is just as good in not better than him. They have plenty of room in the salary cap for next year. The Rams have only picked up one big name free agent in Suh so far. The guys they let go wanted big money if the Patriots did these moves people would be praising these moves.

20. the window is now…if you look at the last 6 different Superbowl winners…the largest cap number was about 18 million…you can’t win a Superbowl if you’re paying a QB a ludacrist contract…which the Rams will have to do with Goff…

21. Their best offensive players, aka the expensive guys, are on rookie contracts. This makes all the sense in the world to do now, before Gurley is making $12M and Goff is making eleventy billion or whatever QBs are making when he gets re-upped. The d-line will be nuts with who they have this year, and they just completely rebuilt a secondary with a couple of really good guys that they can try out for a year and decide on. Smart moves by the team, esp with Arizona and Seattle deciding they’ve had enough of the playoffs for the time being.

22. I remember when everyone was bashing the Rams last year. Same old guys yacking off, different day.

23. I am not saying these are bad or the rams can’t win it all. I simply stating the obvious,why go this route? We have learned for the last 20 years not to be the big spenders during the trade and free agency period. Not 1 team is 2000 has the team who everyone thinks tore up the trades and free agency has won, most find that there our to many leaders or egos rather in the kitchen. Plus I find it hard that this didn’t already happen,I mean AD sat out last year due to contract and now suh gets double his money? I mean if I know I’m better then someone at work and I ask for a raise they say no then bring someone in who I’m better then and give them a raise,I gotta say If AD isn’t mad about that then he is a better man then me. Even if that makes my job a little easier,I’m still mad cause I’m better. Plus gurley in his 3 years has never been consistent,1 great then 1 bad then 1 great,so we don’t know he isn’t a Doug Martin type then Goff who if gets in trouble and mcvay can’t tell him what to do that will get him in trouble. Plus Goff can not win you games,I may be wrong but I believe the rams never won against 1 playoff team last year. I mean my niners only won 6 games and 3 were against playoff teams I just think that’s an issue and it’s squarely on Goff,qb and D wins playoff games. Plus yes they got Peters and talib well he is 33 come the season and I wouldn’t say he is better then Johnson so they basically improved only 1 cb spot,then they trade there 2 and only LB I mean they have no one on the LB spot I mean ya some one could develop,but right now all a team has to do is stretch the field and pass in the middle,that takes suh and AD out and CB don’t cover the RB or TE or slot wr I just don’t see why there supposed to be so good they clearly have huge holes. Now you can think that AD and suh our unblock able but that’s why if you have a quick release qb Brady,wentz,jimmy,brees etc and use a hot route that ends that. Sorry they just don’t scare me. Obvious holes and obvious ways to scheme a plan to beat them. Plus remember d don’t decided what package they have on the field they match up with what offense puts out and so don’t believe wade is gonna make it work crap, it’s simple he doesn’t decide,he can only make packages and groupings with what the offense has on the field.

24. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    April 3, 2018 at 6:45 pm
    If they don’t win it all this year, 2019 is going to be pretty ugly. Then it will be time to pay Goff. The window is open this year and that’s it.

98 20 Rate This

——————
    yep

the thing is..it never works..a one year window? even the jets were not that dumb

snead and mcvay are already on the hotseat

25. If I’m a RAMS fan I absolutely love this. Recognizing your window & going all in. You only get so many chances at a serious run. So GO FOR IT. I’m a BILLS guy so I would love this scenario.

26. Let’s be clear. This has only to do with Stanley being able to sell SSLs to the new palace. Once those seats are sold most of these players will be left to walk away, the few fans they have will be screwed and the future will be bleak for the team. You cannot sustain this type of operation in the long run before you get into “cap hell”.

27. Unlike MLB or the NBA, you can’t buy or slap together a championship team in the NFL. Rams ownership is about to learn that lesson.

28. The Truth says:
    April 3, 2018 at 6:57 pm

—————–

Funny, I don’t see any Pats fans bashing Cooks or any ex_pats players…. Why would we?

As for the Rams, if they stay relatively healthy this season they are going to be very scary. The Eagles are the Champs and should be favored until proven otherwise, but this Rams team has made some major upgrades to what was already a very good team coming into the offseason

29. Ultraviolet Thunder says:
    April 3, 2018 at 7:25 pm
    The Rams are serious.

————–

Why? I would say they earned it. And especially after winning their 1st SB I would expect Eagles’ fans to be quite excited. Let’s see if they can make it make it back to a few more over the next 4-5 years. To the point of this thread, it looks like the Rams will be the Eagles’ major obstacle.

30. Rams seem to be going for it while they have Goff and Donald on rookie deals. I like the aggressiveness, particularly in a new market, that has a second team, no less. Swing for the fences. Only thing is, Suh, Talib, and Peters are all highly combustible guys. Do I love their loose cannon antics as a fan? Absolutely. I have soft place in my heart for crazy, destructive people, I don’t know why, but I find it very entertaining. BUT… you have a kid barely older than these guys (and probably the same age or younger in Talib’s case) trying to keep a lid on the crazy. We’ll see how that plays out. These guys will for sure be exciting to watch in 2018 though.