Getty Images

Marquette King denies his celebrations or his personality are reasons Oakland cut him. The punter said he never even met Jon Gruden.

“I just saw him on car commercials and stuff,” King said in a conference call with Denver writers, via quotes distributed by the team. “I get to see him two times a year [now].”

King joined the Broncos on Thursday, agreeing to a three-year deal worth up to $7 million. He chose Denver because it was the best fit, he said, but added, “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

King won’t wear No. 7 in Denver, obviously, and he will retire the bucking Bronco celebration.

“Now it’s time to find a new celebration, because that’s when I was trying to troll y’all,” he said.

King, 29, can’t wait to punt in Denver. He calls it a “punter’s paradise” because of the altitude, and then there’s the Broncos’ organization itself.

“The cool thing about the Broncos is the people that work at the Broncos encourage you to be yourself,” King said. “That is real cool. Players play a lot better when they can let their hair down and be themselves. It’s cool. They encourage it. But no, I don’t think that’s what the reason was [for his departure from Oakland]. Everybody has their own way of doing things. Maybe that is how they felt they wanted to do things. More power to them.”

He will continue celebrating, though he vows the unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are a thing of the past.

“I’m still going to have fun,” King said. “I’m still going to dance and still celebrate. I’m going to be me. Nothing is going to stop me from being me. The flags—I got three flags two years ago and one flag last year—it’s in the past. I’m just looking forward to doing my thing and making sure I’m working on my composure and doing the right things to making sure the team is in the best situation possible.”

80 responses to “Marquette King on never meeting Jon Gruden: I just saw him on car commercials and stuff

1. This “Punter” better have a NFL Record year. If not his mouth is cashing checks his foot can’t afford.

2. “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

And this is why he was cut. He thinks his extra 2 yards per punt makes a difference. Ideally a punter shouldnt see the field.

3. I hope Jalen Richard runs his 1st punt back for a TD. And then Jalen can do the “Donkey Dance” in the end zone like Travis Kelce.

4. Revenge? From a punter? LOL
    ____

Hey, just wait for that 55 yard coffin corner followed by Doug Martin getting tackled in the end zone for a safety because he can’t hit a hole anymore to save his life, but for some reason Gruden and the Raiders felt HE was valuable to their organization but one of the best punters and field position flippers in the league wasn’t. Also his hang time in that altitude, gonna help limit a lot of return opportunities even more on top of already having one of the best net averages in the game.

#puntersarepeopletoo

5. Yeah. John Elway loves dumb celebrations. Sure he does.
    No idea why Elway did this. To take the spotlight off Keenum? Lol keep that leg ready, Marquette.

6. Cutting a productive player because you don’t like his attitude…and you’ve never even met him???

What was it? Hearsay? Tweets? Didn’t like his Instagram pics???

7. kurdishpats1 says:
    April 5, 2018 at 3:36 pm
    Revenge? From a punter? LOL
    ================================

I know hey?

What is he going to do, punt the ball towards Gruden?

LOL

8. A clue for you, Marquette: Just because Gruden never met you, that doesn’t mean he has never seen your BS celebrations and the personal fouls you’ve collected over the years.

Cuz guess what? You’re on tv!

Not to mention your bloated $3M/yr contract.

9. “I’m still going to dance and still celebrate. I’m going to be me. Nothing is going to stop me from being me. “

And then he wonders why he got traded. You’re a punter, dude. Know your place.

10. The NFL needs personalities and I like King. There shouldn’t be “revenge,” though. King was cut because of his stupid contract. Blame Reggie for that, not Gruden.

11. While we are talking about punters is there any argument that can support ray guy innthe hall of fame over cliff harris , the dallas safety who was an 8 timempro bowl, 4 time all pro, 2 time super bowl winner 1970’s ALL DECADE TEAM PLAYER ! talk about farces.

12. reprob8 says: “Cutting a productive player because you don’t like his attitude…and you’ve never even met him??? What was it? Hearsay? Tweets?”
    ———————-

More like 6 million reasons over the next two… Considering the Broncos are paying him less (3yr/$7m max with incentives), it seems it was the right decision for the Raiders.

And this is after the fact that Elway is valuing punting a lot more given how putrid the offense was last year and now with Keenum, they really need play the field position game just to help the defense…

13. The only things worse than having to punt are 1) a turnover or 2) having a bad punter who botches up the punts. Anyone who has ever rooted for a team with a bad punter knows what I am talking about, it just makes you want to change the channel.

14. Ruha Nuggetcrusher says:
    April 5, 2018 at 4:01 pm
    ________________________________________________

Good luck w that. Nobody ever blames Reggie for anything. Not his horrendous drafts, or his horrendous FA signings, or even his horrendous W/L record.

You know, just all the things GMs are supposed to be held accountable for.

15. “This “Punter” better have a NFL Record year. If not his mouth is cashing checks his foot can’t afford

I bet King’s hangtime pales in comparison to how long you’ve waited to crack that gem.

16. He could punt the ball really high, and then when everybody in the stadium is staring up at it I.K. can jump out of a stategically placed orange cooler and karate chop Gruden in the throat. I hope security trains to prevent this scenario.

17. Darren Bennett, not King, is the only punter that could make that type of claim. Dude would clean the returner’s clock.

18. From afar; my take:

It’s not that he didn’t want to meet you, it’s just the rules didn’t allow it. Your release was business, nothing else. You make too much and Coach wants to use the savings elsewhere. If you were a Kicker who was 2yds and/or 2% better than other elite kickers, you would still be on the team. Punting, not so much…….

19. King’s #4 in NFL history in yards-per-punt with 46.8.

Punters aren’t the most important position, but it’s better to have a great one than an average one. Plus King would have fired up a Las Vegas crowd. Raiders made a (minor) mistake.

20. ” Anyone who has ever rooted for a team with a bad punter knows what I am talking about”

Lolz I remember in 1993 the Pats had place kicker Scott “Missin” Sisson. He only made about half the field goals he attempted and the Pats ownership at the time shut down people bringing in “Missin’ Sisson” banners they were so embarrassed by his performance.

21. If Gruden never met him, then it’s a stupid cut. To the extent that a punter could affect the game outside of his foot, I’d think it could be worked out with a face to face.

22. Can’t wait for the first roughing the kicker in the Raiders/Broncos opener, lol. 🙂

23. Note to Mr. King – being yourself doesn’t mean you are unprofessional and a non-team player – and you were. Gruden wants winners, not whiners. And you are gone. Get a clue.

24. If Gruden cut him without even meeting him, he’s showing his absence from the game is not serving him well. Ten million $ a year hype lapped up by Al Davis’ son.

25. I dont care how far you punt the ball. the fact is, if your out there punting then the D did its job and its good for us.

26. Punting good. Then, tell everyone.. everywhere. Must be good. Tackling. Then, telling everyone I tackled good? Oh, come on.. YOU got tackled by the punter, Taunting, then telling everyone I taunt better than everyone else.

It’s probably the SOLE reason that players come in on Mondays. To watch film on how your punting prowess DESTROYED the opposing team.

if you all take a pause and look at it? OMG! I’m waiting, anxiously, for the sequel to the greatest career ever from a punter! Where does he go? What will he say? Will he punt it 10 yards? Or will he punt it 52 yards?

I CANNOT WAIT for him to join my team so I can brag on twitter: BEST PUNTER EVER!

27. After the initial Star power and glitz wears off we will all see that Gruden should have never coached again. The man is completely looney tunes. If the Raiders didn’t need a Buzz name HC due to moving to Vegas Gruden would still be in the booth. Whic I am so glad I don’t have to listen to his mindless dribble any longer.

28. There was a coach, I think Jimmy Johnson, where he was talking about the problems of one of the teams in the league and he said, “They’ve invested too much money in the wrong positions.” That pretty much sums up what happened here.

This is typical Gruden, he likes to send a message about who’s the boss early and often.

29. I’m hoping a Raider crushes him on his first punt. It’s worth the 15 yard personal foul.

30. There is nothing more hilarious than being threaten by the punter. Punters have changed the course of football history in so many big games their names are unforgettable.

31. time will tell…it was a good move by one of the teams, time will tell which one.

Go Raiders….did we sign bowman yet?

32. You don’t realize how important a good punter is until you don’t have one. When you are pinned in your own end and your punter shanks a 15 yarder, you start to think you could live with a little celebrating if the guy could kick the ball. Strange move to cut him, good luck King.

33. He gets to go to a team that has a head coach who has little to no control over the players and is incompetent as a head coach.

34. Not good, Raider Nation.

King is going to be pinning teams inside the 5 punting from the opposite end zone.

You effed that one up, Reggie/Chucky/Lloyd.

35. I laugh at those who think that punters are worthless. Show me one team that scores on every drive. Now show me one coach that says field position doesn’t matter. Yeah, just what I thought.

36. Raiders got 2 5th rd picks and 2 6th rd picks. They can draft the best punter from college and replace King with someone who doesn’t get 15 yd penalties and bring a bunch of punting drama to the team. They will also pay the new guy a lot less. No big loss other than he signed with the Donks.

37. therealraider says:
    April 5, 2018 at 3:49 pm
    “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

——————————-
    Are you new to football? 2 yards makes the difference for wins and losses in a lot of games. Ideally isn’t reality. Maybe a team shouldn’t get any RBs who can run for more than 3 yards because ideally their QB completes 100% of his passes. Reality is the team that won the Super Bowl averaged over 4 punts per game. Hey, I think teams should punt less, but field position is always going to matter.

38. Until you have a punter that changes the game, you will never respect a punter.

Signed, John Hekker!

39. Gruden loves celebrity life (“man, I love that guy!” Over and over and over) but he won’t share it. That’s why King got kicked to the curb. Good luck with Chucky. He was a terrible announcer and even a worse hc.

40. therealraider says:
    April 5, 2018 at 3:49 pm
    “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

—————————————————

In the NFL an inch can make a difference.

41. therealraider says:
    April 5, 2018 at 3:49 pm
    “There is somewhat of a revenge factor in there, too.”

– – – – – – – – – – –
    The ball being punted to the 2 yard line instead of into the end zone is a difference of 18 yards

42. Gruden won’t waste his time meeting with a replaceable head-case punter.
    No need.
    See ya. We’ll get a more professional guy to do his thing 3 times per game.
    And probably save some money.

43. lengai says:
    April 5, 2018 at 4:33 pm
    ————————————–

Yes – Darren Bennett was awesome!

44. raiderej says:
    April 5, 2018 at 11:56 pm
    Jon Gruden is clearly the most OVERRATED coach in the history of the NFL!

——————————————————————————-

Because he cut a loudmouth punter with a bloated salary? Yes, clearly they should just tar and feather him!

45. reprob8 says:

April 5, 2018 at 3:54 pm

What was it? Hearsay? Tweets? Didn’t like his Instagram pics???
    ———————–
    He went on NFL Network and said some dumb things about his new/old coach Gruden.

That’ll do it.

46. PhD says:
    April 5, 2018 at 5:23 pm

———————————————————————-
    Well let’s see, showboating on the sidelines after a punt getting two 15 yd penalties in back to back games, and a bloated salary. Sure, Gruden has no idea what he is doing, lol…

47. Edward Halverson says:
    April 5, 2018 at 7:38 pm
    Until you have a punter that changes the game, you will never respect a punter.

Signed, John Hekker!
    __________________________

I thought that would be signed Ray Guy or Shane Lechler. Both former LONG-time Raiders.

There’s not an NFL team out there that has benefited more from great punting than the Raiders. Period.

48. raiderej says:
    April 5, 2018 at 11:56 pm
    Jon Gruden is clearly the most OVERRATED coach in the history of the NFL!
    _________________________

Explain yourself. How is it that a guy who built the Raiders into a SB team (who would have won one against any team NOT coached by Gruden, or if the refs hadn’t handed the Pats the Snow Job win), and then took another team to the SB and BEAT that first SB team – is overrated?

I’m sure you have some magical logic with which to dispel my incredulity. Because otherwise you sound incredibly uninformed. To put it politely.

49. Gruden clearly IS overrated and the record speaks for itself.

Why is Gruden a legend for the Raiders when he was 8-8 his first 2 years and didn’t reach the playoffs until his 3rd season (where he knew he’d get fired if they failed again). In contrast, Art Shell in his first Raiders stint (after inheriting the Shanahan disaster) went to the playoffs in his 2nd year. And the much-maligned Del Rio also got the Raiders to the playoffs in his 2nd year (and probably would’ve made it last year too if not for Lynch being forced on the team and the replacement of Musgrave with Downing at Carr’s insistence).

Some also forget that Gruden lost his last 3 regular season games in the final season of his first Raider stint. So clearly his act was growing old and if he had remained in 2002, there’s no guarantee they would’ve even gotten back to the playoffs (let alone the Super Bowl).

Aside from Gruden’s 3rd & 4th years of his first Raider stint and a few good seasons in Tampa (including the Super Bowl season) Gruden’s records have been less than mediocre. As with Lynch, Gruden was not in demand by any other team and certainly no one would’ve been as crazy as Son-of-Al to dump that kind of truckload of cash at his door as part of a publicity stunt.