Muhammad Wilkerson: I’m going to get back to being the dominant player I can be

Getty Images

After seven seasons with the Jets, Muhammad Wilkerson is ready for what some close to him are calling a “rebirth,” Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports. Wilkerson, 28, signed a one-year, $5 million deal with the Packers, with another $2.75 million available in incentives.

It gives Wilkerson a chance to prove he still has it.

“I just learned that’s how this business is,” Wilkerson said, via La Canfora. “I won’t be the first player and I won’t be the last that some of these things happen to. So, is there a little extra motivation? Yeah, a little bit. But at the same time . . . everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I’m my own man, and I know what I can do and what type of player I am capable of being, and I feel like I’m going to be able to get back to being the dominant player I can be.

“There is a lot more in this tank, and I know that. I’m ready for this change and the doubters, I’m ready to pretty much shut them up. And people will still talk of course, as people will, but it’s a motivation for me definitely.”

Wilkerson carried a $16.7 million base salary for 2018 with the Jets, and they weren’t willing to pay that for a player who has battled injuries the past two seasons and found himself in the coaches’ doghouse. The former first-round pick arrives in Green Bay healthy and with an organization giving him a clean slate.

“I always had some ups and downs from the time I walked in One Jets Drive,” Wilkerson said. “So to come to Green Bay, it’s all about winning, and they’re always in the hunt, and that’s something that I definitely want to be a part of. It’s definitely something different for me.

49 responses to “Muhammad Wilkerson: I’m going to get back to being the dominant player I can be

1. It’s usually just Packet fans, Packers coaches, and the Packer’s front office that talk a big game during the off season. Now it looks like Packer players are going to join them this off season. Sheesh. Blah blah blah blah. Where is Mark Murphy’s preseason Super Bowl guarantee going to be this year?

2. good luck Pack fans. This dog took the money and ran. He’ll mope around the league another year or two, just long enough to get a few more checks. Then teams will realize he gave up.

(He was one of the main reasons we didn’t win)

3. A really good player who simply stopped playing once he got paid. If he was really serious about returning to the player he once was, he might want to include several million dollars back to the Jets that he stole over the last 2 years of his contract.

If what he says is true, then the Packers made a good signing. Still doesn’t mitigate his theft in NJ.

4. Translation: I got a huge contract from the Jets and came nowhere close to performing to that level and I liked to nap during meetings. Now that I’m on a 1-year deal I want to play at the level that got me the big contract with the Jets and hope to repeat history.

5. Maybe if you like, you know, TRIED and played hard in NY you might be playing in January.. Greedy, childish ME guy. No ill will to Greenbay, but I hope this clown still plays like dog crap and shows everyone who he really is. Bum

6. “So, is there a little extra motivation? Yeah, a little bit.”

Adding “a little extra motivation” to the negative motivation he had the last two seasons still leaves you in the negative. He got his money and he quit! Maybe he will play hard this year, but don’t pay him unless you want an overpaid dog who is late to meetings and walkthroughs.

7. cheeseisfattening says:
    April 13, 2018 at 3:25 pm
    and they’re always in the hunt….
    ——–
    So…he must consider 3rd place in the division “always in the hunt”.

Ha ha.

_________
    Well…winning the division 5 of the last 7 years with one 2nd and one 3rd place finish during that time doesn’t qualify as bad, wouldn’t you agree? I have no dog in this fight, just thought I’d fact check a bit. Granted, 2 of the last 3 have been won by the Vikings, so I can see the merit in that comment. Either way, it’s a year-to-year league, anything can happen…

8. So, is there a little extra motivation? Yeah, a little bit.

Mmm what? You just got paid as highest defense player in your position for past 2 year, and that wasn’t enough motivation? You just got fired for being so lazy, and that isn’t motivation? Gzz, he need to wake up soon. GB certainly look like his last team to play.

Had enough of WilkerLazy

9. pkrlvr says:

April 13, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Let’s hope he backs it up!
    //////////////////////////////

is this what you consider an off season participation banner???

10. I want to get to the Super Bowl now. That’s really why I chose Green Bay……………..

Mo will you show up on time or will you miss it like you did your last birthday?

11. Well, if nothing else, signing Wilkerson is something Ted Thompson never would have done.

Welcome, MW!

12. ““I don’t mean to knock any player or anybody, but I just don’t want to be one of those guys in Year 10, or even after that, I’m still trying to find a team that’s winning and playing in January and February. I want to win now and be a part of a winning culture now and I want to get to the Super Bowl now. That’s really why I chose Green Bay.””

Um, you chose wrong.

13. Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing. To go to a team with a Hall of Fame QB and a new DC; one who fought for Wilkerson to be drafted by the NYJ. With their roster mismanagement and lack of consistency in QB, I can see why it would be tough to play for the Jets.

14. Wilkerson, Daniels & Clark.

Oh my gonna be long day for somebody trying to run da ball against them BEASTS!

Green Bay Super bowl bound BOOK IT!

15. I’m not a fan of this type of player. Blue chipper who collected checks but took the year off in the ‘try hard’ department….then comes back next year saying he’s really gonna try this time.

16. So why didn’t he do that with the Jets? I bet I know why…the $2.75M in incentives. That’s the only way you can motivate this clown. Still, he’s going to make $5M anyway so he’ll probably be content to give 10% again and steal another $5M this year. I get the feeling the Pack may regret signing Albert Hayneworth 2.0.

17. “That’s really why I chose Green Bay.”

You chose Green Bay because they offered you a contract better than anyone else did.

When the best you can do is a 70 percent wage cut, it means no one trusts you to actually perform.

And somehow, I have the feeling that you’ll still be a disappointment.

18. LOL he’s talking like it was the Jets that did him dirty. It was everybody else’s fault you were lazy and always late for meetings Muhammad huh? This quote takes the cake though “I feel like I’m going to be able to get back to being the dominant player I can be”. So he admits he gave up and dogged it the past 2 years? There was no reason he couldn’t of been a dominant player this whole time since he got paid. EAD Muhammad

19. Talk is cheap.
    It’s an old saying, but a very apt one.
    Especially in this case.
    I’ve made it perfectly clear that I’m really not a big fan of this particular signing.
    Mo’s got the talent and tools, but seems lazy, lacking the desire for greatness.

He’s going to have a great opportunity to get back to focusing on football and anchoring a defense that will be on the rise.
    I sincerely hope he proves me wrong by backing up his big talk with some big time play.

Wilkerson is definitely right about one thing, people love to talk.
    As the Barneys are so prone to do.
    Time to shut them up.
    But that, in itself, would be a gargantuan task.
    Almost as difficult as winning Super Bowl.

20. I’m beginning to think the Viking fans on here truly believe they can alter reality with their negativity. Like they are six years old….

Wilkerson on a 1 yr deal, we’ll get what we get. He should be motivated. Whether he is or not, guess we’ll find out.

21. So he is pretty admitting that he dogged it after he got the big contract. I knew he was going to claim he was going to be a changed man and he just did. I did not hear him saying he was going to return some of the money he got the last few years while giving sub-par effort and being a locker room cancer. Does it really take a lot of effort to show up on time?

22. Shinnbone says:

April 13, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Wilkerson, Daniels & Clark.

Oh my gonna be long day for somebody trying to run da ball against them BEASTS!

Green Bay Super bowl bound BOOK IT

//////////////////////////

There you go stella, you have always had it backwards. Its the packer fans who claim the off season championships.

23. flviking says:
    April 13, 2018 at 9:11 pm
    //////////////////////////

I don’t know why you’re dragging me into your pettiness, but I’ll be glad to respond.

I read “Super Bowl-bound.” I didn’t read anything about a championship. All teams are “bound” for the SuperBowl……..eventually. Even the Vikings.

24. They could finally have a decent DT rotation, need another body or two though, especially one or three rushing on the outside. I hope Pettine is going to bring back more 4-3 fronts, 3-4 packer fronts just dont look right.

25. Pettiness is a Barney staple of their dysfunctional personalities.
    It comes from years of anger and self loathing.
    Pity them as they know of no other rational way to respond to adversity.

26. Smelliness and arrogance is Gumby staple.
    It comes from years of patting themselves on the back for things that did not accomplish themselves and over eating.
    Pity them as they actual believe they are special just because of the sports team they cheer for.

27. cheeseisfattening says:
    April 14, 2018 at 5:10 pm
    /////////////////////

You’re always whining about Packer fans thinking they’re better than you. The sports team we cheer for is special in so many ways, and that annoys you. It’s under your skin and your typical response is to pick needless fights, as though that might have an effect on the circumstances. On every Packer story, over and over, you continue to prove how easy it is to be better than you. It doesn’t take much.

28. Nah, I just enjoy poking you “owners”. Please go on believing that you and the team you follow are special and that I am scared or bothered. It makes it more fun.

And besides my post was just a reaction to another post. Don’t you follow some sort of silly “rules” that makes that ok?

29. cheeseisfattening says:
    April 15, 2018 at 2:47 pm

////////////////////////////

You still sound whiny. And needy.

30. Responding to every slight no matter how small, just to salvage your pride and self-respect is a waste of time. You have neither.

31. Blowing off your purposefully fight-picking posts as mere “silliness?” is like saying Bill Cosby was only “horsing around.”

You don’t get to soft pedal and self-describe yourself. Actions speak louder than words.

And now we’ll wait for you to reply.

32. You don’t get to tell people what they can and can’t do in here. You get to label Viking fans as fight pickers I get to call Packer fans arrogant fatties. And I get to say I have fun doing it and don’t take it seriously.

And since you always want to have the last word I will keep calling out your goofy posts because I am having fun with that too. Once I get bored with it is when I will stop.

33. Lol stella. Lotta talk coming from a fan of a team that has a history of getting SHUTOUT in 25% of their HOME regular season games.

#entitled

34. cheeseisfattening says:
    April 15, 2018 at 5:47 pm
    Once I get bored with it is when I will stop.
    /////////////////////

…..as predictable as shooting fish in a barrel.

35. stellarperformance says:
    April 15, 2018 at 7:03 pm

…..as predictable as shooting fish in a barrel.
    ————————————

That makes sense since most people from Wisconsin don’t know how to fish.

36. stellarperformance says:
    April 15, 2018 at 7:03 pm
    cheeseisfattening says:
    April 15, 2018 at 5:47 pm
    Once I get bored with it is when I will stop.
    /////////////////////

…..as predictable as shooting fish in a barrel.
    ———–
    What is, my replying or your relying?