Adidas: We’ll sign Kaepernick if an NFL team signs him

Getty Images

If Colin Kaepernick returns to the NFL, he’ll have an endorsement deal waiting for him.

Adidas says it would like to have Kaepernick under contract if he becomes an active player again.

“If he signs on a team, we would definitely want to sign him,” Adidas North America President Mark King said, via the Arizona Republic.

King said Kaepernick’s activism doesn’t make him too controversial for Adidas to touch.

“We love athletes that have a platform to make the world a better place,” King said. “If they’re an activist in a way that brings attention to something that moves the world forward, even if there’s controversy at that moment, we’re really interested in those athletes because I think it represents the world today.”

Of course, there’s nothing stopping Adidas from offering Kaepernick an endorsement deal now, regardless of whether he’s in the NFL. But apparently Adidas first wants to know that Kaepernick will be on Americans’ TV sets on Sundays. So far, there’s been no indication that any NFL team is planning to sign Kaepernick.

125 responses to “Adidas: We’ll sign Kaepernick if an NFL team signs him

1. And that will be another company I’ll no longer think about buying from….regardless if they actually sign him or not. Their willingness to do so is enough for me.

2. That could backfire. Because if a team puts him on the field and he gets exposed as a poor player (based on what I have seen from him thats my belief as to what would happen) then flunks out of the NFL they would lose out on their endorsement money. Unless of course they have doubts of their own that would compel them to build protections into the contract, like if that happens they can sever ties without paying.

3. If the deal is big enough, Squid might be able to recoup the money he spent on all those hundreds of pairs of shoes he never wore. Maybe even the flat brims as well.

4. Talk about having it both ways! They get to claim they’re all down for the cause, but with less than a 10% likelihood he gets signed they don’t risk a backlash from those who disagree. Way to thread the needle!

5. And Adidas will lose a lot of customers, if they had a lot before. The majority of Americans won’t buy from a company who supports anti Americans. I know I won’t.

6. One can only hope. He’s done nothing but bring drama into the game. He can do whatever he wants on his own time but not on taxpayers time. Taxpayers are those who fund these games and the two should not have crossed into each other. This was while he was on the job. Had no business protesting on paid time. I hate people who live for drama and those not smart enough to see them for who they are and never should these drama queens get away with it at work. And btw where is he now? I don’t see any organized protests he’s leading.

7. Does anyone else know the etymology of the word “Adidas”? It’s of Philippine origin, meaning “fried chicken feet.” It’s true. Apparently, fried chicken feet is some sort of delicacy in the Philippines. It’s also why the company logo resembles the stamp of a chicken foot.

No NFL team is going to sign Kaepernick. If one would, he would be signed already. Dangling out a commercial endorsement for Adidas isn’t going to change that. Teams don’t want the negative publicity that this shoe company so desperately seeks.

8. For the last couple of years, Kaepernick has picked up where Michael Sam left off.

Both are side-shows with skills that are far below NFL levels.

9. belly laughing. I like the three lines and will probably buy either way. If he your kind of guy what is holding you up? He is what you want. He gets plenty of pub, so, sign him.

as for the nfl, he would be a good packer.

10. No worries. I haven’t bought anything Adidas since the 3 white stripe casual shoes from the mid 90’s. It’s hard to boycott something in anger when I accidentally started years ago!

11. I see the echo chamber for the Fraternal Organization of Right Wing Rednecks is still at it.
    Adidas, and the rest of the country, understand what Kaepernick is all about. And they approve by a huge margin.
    If the NFL, or at least one owner, had the spine of a garden slug they’d have signed him last year. And made a ton of money by doing so.
    You guys go watch pro wrestling. Plenty of folks – of all races, creeds – will snap up those season tickets.
    Oh – and quit patting yourself on the back because viewer stats dipped a bit. Just modern tech. taking people away from the old folks networks. You really should try to keep up.

12. gawainsghost says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:09 pm

—————————————————————

That works….cause Kaepernick is cooked.

13. Enough! This is getting really old. Go away Kaepernick. And as far as I’m concerned, go away Adidas or any other company who would consider signing this guy.

14. Seeing as Addidas has the NCAA in a world of trouble right now, their reasoning and response is laughable. I recently sent a letter to the Kansas University alumni asking pressure be brought to end KUs endorsement deal with Addidas. Their work at the collegiate level is a sorry state of affairs.

15. Good for Adidas. If an NFL team signs Kaepernick and then Adidas signs him, I will never watch any game Kaepernick is a part of and I will never purchase anything Adidas sells.
    See? We all have the right to choose what we do.
    I refuse to watch an anti-America athlete who makes millions of dollars. I hope millions of others do that, too.

16. Do people really still buy Adidas?

I thought Nike had pretty much cornered the market? Regardless, if they sponsor Kaepernick their products will likely end up at Walmart like LA Gear, And One, Fubu, etc, etc..

Kaepernick has way more people that dislike him than like him at this point.

17. @7:09pm

I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic or not. Adidas is a combination of the founder’s name; Adi Dassler. His brother Horst started Puma. The Adidas original logo is called a trefoil.

18. I love all of the “I’ll no longer buy adidas” statements. Probably the same people who have been saying “I’m done with the NFL” for two seasons now.

Yet secretly still watch every game.

Keyboard warriors.

19. I love this; you phony patriots and good ole boys with nothing better to do in your lives than to troll every Kaepernick story; who by the way, can buy all of your wives and girlfriends very expensive gifts. Colin Kaepernick is better than 50% of the starting QBs in the NFL and is more accomplished than many to boot!

20. I love Addidas gear and wore their wrestling shoes since I was a senior in high school (I will be 40 in June) and was going to get my son a pair when he made his right weight class but if this is true I am done with the company!

21. Why not just sign him now? If they truly believed in this guy there wouldn’t be any stipulations.

22. If Kaep’s message is SO valuable and noteworthy, Adidas would sign Kaep whether he was on NFL team or not.

23. stexan says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:18 pm

———-
    They approve that Kaep was pouting because he was benched for Blaine Gabbert?

24. Last two pairs of shoes I bought were adidas. They will be the last two pairs I ever buy.

Back to Nike, New Balance or Under Armour.

They picked their side, so will I.

25. When will Squidward just go away. Why do people think he is this great guy? He is divisive selfish and hypocritical. Not to mention he is not a good qb

26. Hahahahaha to those of you saying you’re tired of the Kaep stories…WHY DID YOU CLICK ON THIS ONE?!? Your hate of Kaep is stronger than your love for anything else in football like free agency and the draft.

To those saying they won’t buy Adidas anymore…who cares, you probably buy one pair of $40 adidas every decade. Adidas money doesn’t come from your demographic.

27. So sign him after, so that you don’t have to bare the brunt of negativism and then reap the awards from his fellow athletes coming over to you now, even if he isn’t signed and later because your being progressive? Geez three stripes, doesn’t take a marketing genius to recognize your play.

28. Put your money where your mouth is and just sign him. Why put the stipulation saying only if a NFL team signs him first??? If Beiber and Kanye the klown can have an Adidas deal why cant Kaep??? I guess Beiber and Kanye offer so much more to society.

29. I’m not sure he is a good enough player to be signed, but I respect the position. It shows respect for the First Amendment, just like it is your right to not buy Adidas if you don’t like the decision. Funny thing though….history shows Adidas will be around longer than you are so….good luck with the protest.

30. If that Happens i will NEVER spend a dime on Adidas again. Just like if my team signed him i would spend a dime on them ever again either. No jerseys, Hats, nothing, NO GEAR.

31. Adidas is laughing all the way to the bank…all you fools..I’m not buying or I’m not wearing…next week when the new shoes come out…you all will be fighting to be first in line…😂😂😂

32. Smart business move for Adidas, while sure you will lose customers because they have jumped on a bandwagon because Fox news tells them Adidas is Anti-American now,but you will gain tons of new customers dropping Nike & UA gear to support the cause they believe.
    Everyone is foolish in all of this picking sides…you don’t even know what you think you support.

33. Regardless if Kaepernick is on another roster ever again my kids (or myself) will never ever ware Adidas again that was purchased with my money.

34. HA Baker says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm

—————————————————————————————-

Name the team(s) that runs the type of offense Kaepernick can excell in and why he’s better than the guy they have now.

35. Why are yall so angry, bitter, and unpatriotic? yall sit online bashing someone whom you know good and damn well you wouldn’t say a thing about. Yet consistently, yall hate on him soooo much, that every article about him gets huge responses. suck it up, you know you have no say in any of this other than to whine.

As for Adidas, What team does Kanye play for? They’re playing both sides by enticing a team , while not actually taking a stance, while gaining a lot of pub

36. balt88 says:
    April 16, 2018 at 8:54 pm
    All the more reason to buy your shoes from an American company and not Adidas

You’re probably alot smarter than me so please name a few American Shoe Companies that actually make their shoes in America.

37. alonestartexan says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
    Do people really still buy Adidas?

Kaepernick has way more people that dislike him than like him at this point.
    ———————————————————————————————————————————
    Yet racism doesn’t exist? While his protest is more of systemic racism that exists in this country, racially suggestive comments like yours if part of the problem and why his protest is legitimate.

I can only laugh at the comments here. So fragile many of you are. Someone actually posted a comment that he’s a troublemaker. How so? Because he didn’t stand in line and shuck and jive like a good ol’ boy?

38. an “American” company? tell me when you find a footwear or apparel company that is an “American” company… if you think Adidas sales will suffer for this you are mistaken. Most of the people who think Kaep is a clown don’t buy Adidas to begin with. The people who do are such a small percentage of their overall market share. Globally people will love this move as will the vast majority of people they hope to sign sponsorships to. You may not like it and that is your choice. This is a free country…. right?

39. good for you addidas
    remember, most Americans know racism is rampant in America
    we need to find a way other than taking a knee which has become politicized
    the message was lost early on
    patriotism is in the heart and I truly believe Kap is as patriot as most of his detractors
    he has somehow become a magnet for all those who somehow believe America is without fault

40. The thing is, none of these companies care about the opinions of middle-aged consumers that are mostly set in their ways. They want to get on the right side of younger people who will have significantly more influence on purchasing going forward and probably already do (we all know parents buy their kids what brands they want anyways). And guess what middle-aged America… younger people support Kaepernick and athletes that use their stage to speak out on social injustice. The times they are a-changin’!

41. Adidas,just saying you’ll pay this lover of dictators if he signs with a team, lost you my business. Bad patriotic and business move. Hopefully your stock drops.

42. HA Baker says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Seems there’s a certain segment of the population that feels that $ is the end all and be all in life. So riddle me this, if what you say is true, is not Trump your pinnacle? He can buy your girlfriend or boyfriend a lot more than you or he who shall not be named.

43. I was around in the 60’s when Martin Luther King was in his prime, and believe me, he wasn’t any more popular than Kaepernick is today. Now we have a national holiday in King’s honor. Dr. King still isn’t loved by a lot of us, but most of us are too cowardly to admit it in public. Adidas is just ahead of the game. They’re appealing to the folks who love America, and what our flag actually stands for. I’m going to go buy Adidas shoes today, even if they don’t sign Kaepernick.

44. I’m not surprised. After all, Addidas was caught paying college athletes. Low character company.

45. I understand people not thinking he’s a great player or not liking where and when he protests. But why are people still insisting he’s protesting the flag or the country? He’s protesting other people being treated unfairly (not himself) he’s been treated great. He was raised by white people in a white neighborhood and was a sports star. Most people Didn’t even know he was mixed race until his protests.

46. stexan says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:18 pm
    Adidas, and the rest of the country, understand what Kaepernick is all about.
    ——————————–
    Obviously, you know very little about “the rest of the country”.

47. …Said the European shoe Company with no ties to the US and no clue about American Football and what constitutes a lack of talent.

48. rainsarge says:
    April 17, 2018 at 8:43 am

—–

It’s easier than facing the truth.

49. Adidas could care less if kap signs with a NFL team. Because just the offer, wil bring a few bleeding hearts to their company to buy shoes and apparel.

50. In a related story:

Uncle Rico would have taken the team to a state championship in high school if his coach would have started him.

51. I was around in the 60’s when Martin Luther King was in his prime, and believe me, he wasn’t any more popular than Kaepernick is today. Now we have a national holiday in King’s honor. Dr. King still isn’t loved by a lot of us, but most of us are too cowardly to admit it in public. Adidas is just ahead of the game. They’re appealing to the folks who love America, and what our flag actually stands for. I’m going to go buy Adidas shoes today, even if they don’t sign Kaepernick.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

So you are paralleling Dr. King to Colin Kaepernick? You cannot be serious! Dr. King protested reasonably and within the context of the day….Kaep “protests” because 1) He was benched and refused to stand for the anthem during a preseason game prior to which he had been beaten out for the starter’s job by a teammate and was moping behind the 49er’s bench 2) Was prompted by his radical girlfriend to embrace his “blackness” and lack of privilege…when he was raised by rich white step parents all his life 3) He insisted that he was protesting about “brutality by police”…yet he never once appeared at any rally, march, or public event stating this position…until he was called out by the media 4) He became the “face of the media” by kneeling…when it was Eric Reid who convinced him to kneel so that real patriots might not be so offended 5) He is now the darling of SJW and is now suing the NFL…even though he walked away from a contract in hopes of raising his profile and gaining even more money from some unsuspecting NFL team. In other words, he was and is a faker….waiting for someone to make him a “celebrity” at their expense.

Dr. King has his own holiday because he actually did sacrifice for his cause. Kaep never sacrificed a thing…except the contract that he willfully walked away from.

52. cookerduff123 says:
    April 16, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Yet secretly still watch every game.

Keyboard warriors.

Believe me, it is a lot easier to stop buying Adidas products than it is to stop watching pro football.

53. I just removed a pair of Adidas’s from my shopping cart. Will not spend my dollars with companies that go out of there way to alienate the vast majority of citizens who view Colin K’s protest as anti-American/anti-veteran.

54. Some of you clowns amaze me. I prefer he stand for the flag…he should have. But, it’s his given right not to. I didn’t care. It was his choice.
    Consequences came with this choice. But, for how long? He never broke a law. Never killed anyone. Did not commit sexual assault.
    You’ll take a pass on a President that can’t doesn’t even know the lines to National Anthem, assaulted women, and obstructed justice. But skewer a guy who took a knee.
    Hypocrites.