Vikings extend Eric Kendricks

Getty Images

Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks will be staying in Minnesota for years to come.

The Vikings announced today that they have agreed to a contract extension with Kendricks, their 2015 second-round draft pick.

Kendricks had one year left on his rookie contract, at a salary of $1.1 million. According to multiple reports, Kendricks will make $50 million over five years if he plays out the full contract, and he has $25 million guaranteed.

Kendricks started all 16 regular-season games and both postseason games for the Vikings last season.

66 responses to “Vikings extend Eric Kendricks

1. Too bad on the decline Aaron won’t be around to see Kendricks for those five years.

2. I’m not trying to pick a fight here, but I think it’s an interesting observation that the Packers were desperately in need of an inside linebacker in the 2015 draft but they passed on Kendricks to draft Damarious Randall. They also drafted Brett Hundley that year, who was dubbed the steal of the draft by Packer fans. Now Kendricks is one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL and Randall has been traded for a quarterback who was winless last year to replace Hundley. It’s just kind of interesting how things happen.

3. Excellent news! Draft Oline and re-sign A. Barr during preseason. Hunter has played the least, so let him prove himself a little more this season. That #1 defense will be playing hungry and happy this year.

4. scottb23 says:
    April 16, 2018 at 12:53 pm
    Skol! Now we need to lock up Hunter next, Barr may need to be the one who ends up walking of the young guys we need to resign.

————————————————–
    Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but I tend to agree. I think it says something about what the Vikings thoughts/plans are that Kendricks deal got done first.

or in the words of Florio unless it doesn’t

5. I’m a bit surprised by this move. First of all, I think Barr is more valuable. He has more talent and he is more dynamic. Second….I think they need this money to re-sign Diggs now before he truly gets expensive. Digg’s is a player they need to keep. They also have to re-sign Hunter. Makes me wonder if they are letting Barr go next year because of perhaps his injury history and also being accused of “Coasting”. I would of thought Diggs, and Hunter would have been a higher priority as the LB position is devalued, and DE and WR’s are more important in the NFL in this day and age.

I hope this move doesn’t cost them losing Diggs or Barr and perhaps Hunter. But it’s hard to be unhappy about the move. Kendricks is a fantastic player and doesn’t have injuries like Barr and Diggs.

6. Longtime Vikings Fan here..
    Not for nothing, but can we (Vikings fans) just STOP being like Pack fans and making every post about the Vikings a fight or dig at Packers?

This has NOTHING to do with the Pack. Period.

It’s so annoying to have EVERY post on PFT be some dig at the Vikings by Pack Fans, I hate it when I see Vikings fans resorting to it…

7. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    April 16, 2018 at 12:58 pm
    I’m not trying to pick a fight here, but I think it’s an interesting observation that the Packers were desperately in need of an inside linebacker in the 2015 draft but they passed on Kendricks to draft Damarious Randall….
    —————————
    Well, you know, the guy who drafted Randall is no longer the GM. Deservedly so. We were all screaming for Kendricks then too.

8. I love this guy as I watch a LOT of college football and I easily remember Eric Kendricks at UCLA having this incredible knack for being around the ball a lot whether picking up a fumble or an interception. However I have been a Viking 4life since 1968 and this guy misses a lot of tackles-we need to clean that up!

9. ajzinnecker says:
    April 16, 2018 at 1:04 pm

———————————————————
    I like this move as I think he fits what Zim is trying to do on D perfectly. I also think when you pay a QB close to 100 Mil guaranteed that they hope is you can can continue to find/develop and draft WR’s that he will make better. It’s not that I don’t like Diggs, I do, but he disappears for long stretches of time, I just think you can find better value at that position. Like Wright for 1 mil……there will be other deals out there like that in future years. Hunter is the wild card, still raw with tons of potential. I have a buddy who is a fairly prominent coach, and he always says “potential will get you fired” meaning you can’t pay a guy on potential, have to see consistent production I think this is a big year for Hunter and Barr in that regard.

10. For what it’s going to cost to resign Barr, I just feel like he’s the most expendable between him, Diggs and Hunter. I think Hunter can turn into an all-pro.

11. Kendricks epitomizes the modern-day NFL interior LB — the right mix of strength speed and pass coverage ability. About the only negative with him is overpursuit (which he has improved on every year) and missed tackles (which he really hasn’t). Barr gets more publicity, but I almost wonder if Kendricks isn’t more valuable. It will be tight to sign Hunter, Diggs and Barr — if they do, Remmers will be either gone or take a pay cut.

12. Great move by vikes for Kendricks. Diggs is always hurt and lacks consistency. Barr is the same. Sign Hunter to an extension and draft replacements for Barr and Diggs. SKOL Vikes!!

13. I think Kendricks’ deal came first because it happened to be the one that got done first. I wouldn’t say they prioritized him over other players like Barr. Barr has a $12 million dollar cap hit this year because of the fifth-year option so I’m sure they will probably extend him sometime this offseason. Diggs and Hunter are probably less motivated to sign before seeing how this year plays out because WRs and DEs can get huge contracts in free agency. If they can get one or both of them this summer it would be fantastic.

14. Nothing to do with the Packers, yet a bunch of you feel the need to bring them up. What a joke. I see it the other way too, but you guys prove to be no better. Just talk about the great signing and move on.

15. Next is Barr and then Hunter. We might have to let Diggs walk (hope not) after the Landry contract. I really like Diggs but we can get another receiver before we can find difference makers on defense like Hunter and Barr. Skol#

16. I think Waynes and Diggs are more important than Barr. You can’t pay EVERYONE big $$ and the MLB is the QB of the defense (yes I know Barr wears the green dot) Unless Hunter makes a big leap this year his production level is replaceable.

17. I get the impression that Vikes fans think it’s either/or. Not true. The original article said the Vikes were also working with the agents of the other three players. I say lets just leave it up to the people who, we well can concede, know precisely what they’re doing, and will, most certainly, do what’s best for our team.

18. Good move. Kendricks is the first of several to come, including Barr, Hunter, Waynes, and Diggs. Yeah, they can all be re-signed. The 2015 draft brought in all of these guys except Barr, and the 2016 draft didn’t produce much. They’ll have the cap room.

19. That is mighty generous, but it may mean they do not have to franchise tag him or pay him a fifth year option, both of which are more expensive than paying him $10 million a year. They pay him more the next two years, but less for the 3 years after that.

20. People who say receivers are easy to find and Diggs is the most replaceable seem to have forgotten about the Vikings signing the likes of Michael Jenkins, Bernard Berrian, and Devin Aromashodu and drafting Cordarrelle Patterson and Laquon Treadwell. Just because the current guys are a 5th-round pick and a UDFA doesn’t mean it’s easy to replace them. Diggs led the league in contested catch percentage last year and Keenum wouldn’t have looked as good without that statistic. Let’s see how Cousins does with guys like Treadwell and Coley before deciding to move on from Diggs.

21. Word is that as great as Barr is, the coaches are getting tired of having to continuously motivate him…great talent and I hope he finds a way to stay, nonetheless.

22. Looking at the Vikings contracts and ages of their core players, this team has a 3-4 year window to get that Super Bowl won. After that their core players currently with long deals like griffin, Joseph, reiff, Rhodes, sandejo, Smith, Rudolph, and remmers will be on the way out.

If they keep cousins, diggs, thielan, Barr, Kendricks, hunter, waynes, Easton, elfein, and Alexander beyond 2021, they will have a nice core to build off of for another 3-4 years.

Overall this team is sitting pretty.

23. “Draft Analyst” Brzezynski fails to mention the two washouts Vikings drafted ahead of Aaron Rodgers. Kendricks will play 8-10 years. The Rodgers goof-up was an 18 yr. mistake, at the game’s most important position.
    “It’s just interesting how things happen”.

24. Great move.

Now lock up Hunter. Barr(he’s soft)and Diggs(I love but imo very few WR’s are worth 15m plus and he’s not one of them)are likely gone. The only reason Barr isn’t traded right now is no one has offered a 1 for him. Vikes are better off keeping him for anything less, and letting him walk next year and getting a 3 for a comp pick for him….Same goes for Diggs. Unless he’s gonna take less then 15m, which I doubt, cya.

Sign Hunter is priority. Waynes, if he’s playing great by week 8, I’d lock him up as well. I think the Vikes are not yet sold on Waynes…his hips are terrible and hold him back from being a great CB

25. I think Waynes and Diggs are more important than Barr. You can’t pay EVERYONE big $$ and the MLB is the QB of the defense (yes I know Barr wears the green dot) Unless Hunter makes a big leap this year his production level is replaceable.

__________________________________________________

Here is the Vikes priority

1. Hunter
    2. Kendricks
    3. Diggs
    4. Barr

Waynes technically I won’t add to list just because if they want they can wait 18 months on what to do with him…

26. The Eagles can’t seem to find the perfect fit for his brother Michael. I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him,. But if they did, it would be cool to see him team up with his brother for the Vikes. Michael is a speedy athletic smart guy at LB. not sure why the birds have not ever been totally sold on him.

Fly Eagles Fly. PS: Eagles never had any bad blood for the Vikes , just in the way of destiny this past year . : ).

27. Lot of money but he’s a good player.

Serious question: Why do some of you Viking fans feel the need to constantly start pissing matches with Packer
    fans? It’s not like they’re trolling this article. Time to grow up fellas.

28. He was the number 1 guy I thought they needed to lock up. He’s great in pass coverage, which is what Zimmer wants. I actually think they should focus on Waynes next, he has really come around. Hunter declined after becoming a full time starter, so I would like to see another year from him. I think Barr is the odd man out. A nice player, but a bit overrated because of the Rodgers hit. They say guys that can rush the passer are most important, but also the most expensive…and he has been hurt. And oddly enough, Diggs may not stick around. Not only will he cost a ton, you can’t really justify paying him more than Thielen, so he would need a raise too. Maybe they find a way to make it work tho.

29. I would get Diggs and Hunter locked up next. Offer Anthony Barr a solid contract, but a bit less than he could get elsewhere, and say take it or leave it He has all the talent in the world, and can damn near take over a game if he gives 100%. Problem is, his overall effort is around 80% on average. Can go up or down, when he’s at 100% he’s a monster. But he also will be invisible at other times.

30. Glad they signed Kendricks over Barr. Barr’s the bigger name (for now) but Kendricks is the better player. I think Barr’s days are numbered with MN.

31. pkrlvr says:
    April 16, 2018 at 2:56 pm
    Lot of money but he’s a good player.

fans? It’s not like they’re trolling this article. Time to grow up fellas.
    ———————
    It’s called “living rent-free in your opponent’s fans’ heads”. I didn’t have time to read all of the comments on this article, but there’s actually some that are related to the article itself with no mention of the Packers. Apparently, there are some viking fans that want to discuss their favorite team. And then there are the rest…

32. I agree that it is annoying how Vikings fans are trolling the Packers. This article has nothing to do with the Packers so why pointlessly insult their team? If you don’t like how they troll our team, why not take the higher road and not do the same? I think it’s foolish for Vikings fans to think the Packers won’t be competitive next year, and to question the greatness of Rodgers.

33. milkcan44 says:
    April 16, 2018 at 2:21 pm

“It’s just interesting how things happen”.
    ___________

I guess I didn’t mention it because of its complete irrelevance. I did say the Packers were desperate for an inside linebacker, whereas the Vikings had no need for a new starting quarterback in 2005. In hindsight, it would have been a great pick, but at the time it would have been stupid.

Besides, nobody running the draft in 2005 is still with the team now. And the genius who drafted Rodgers got fired this year for never drafting anybody else good.

34. ajzinnecker says:
    April 16, 2018 at 1:04 pm

*****

Agree to disagree. Kendricks is the signing that needed to happen first.

35. Good luck Vikings. The proof of a GM is not in building a winning team. It is in keeping a winning team competitive once young stars salaries start to rise, particularly the QB. Though it took Spielman forever to do this; never getting the QB right, wasting first round picks on washouts and such. We’ll see if he can keep the team competitive. The division is looking up overall with a true starting QB on every team, some decent newish coaches and a new GM in Green Bay that may not be asleep at the wheel in free agency for years on end.

36. milkcan44 says:
    April 16, 2018 at 2:21 pm
    “It’s just interesting how things happen”.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Well when your 26 year old QB has an MVP quality season, see below:

379-548 69.2% Comp. 4717 yds 39 tds 11 ints
    406 yards rushing and 2 tds rushing

-Your offense is #6 in scoring
    -Your offense is #4 total yards
    -Your offense is #2 in average yards per play

You might not want to think about using a mid first round pick on a QB, no?

37. ajzinnecker says:
    April 16, 2018 at 1:04 pm

//////////////////////

Kendrick’s is much more valuable than Barr. Just pull the stats on both men and it’s night and day. Barr maybe more “dynamic” but you don’t win games being dynamic. Barr also has an injury background, can’t tackle from the sidelines. I like a Barr but I can see him being traded. Hunter is next on the defense that needs to be signed.

38. Obvious choice to get Kendricks done before Barr. Barr will get $ with the 5th year acceptance. Get Hunter signed next! Love Diggs but I think we can find a very close substitute for less $. SKOL!

39. Great signing, I was glad to see the Vikings keep Kendricks. To me he is harder to replace than even Barr. It is very hard to find a 3 down MLB who can take on the OL and cover, plus run sideline to sideline. Tough decisions ahead with Barr, Hunter, Diggs and Waynes up next. Throw in Richardson’s 1 year prove it deal and that’s another on the pile for next year. They can’t sign them all, but can’t lose Hunter, he’s only 23 and already has 25.5 sacks. DE’s and CB have to be their highest priority as they are the hardest to replace. I could see them parting ways with Diggs and Barr. Although the Vikes have the best cap man in the industry, so I wouldn’t be shocked if they find a way to keep 3 of the big 4. But ultimately either Diggs or Barr, or both will likely be lost to FA. Both are going to want $12-15m/year.

40. Good player, good sign….too bad the Vikings will soon be in cap hall and have to start making choices on players in the future. Barr is likely gone.

41. No the vikes won’t be in “cap hell” the salary cap will rise again and we have contracts that can be moved if need be. Everson and linvals contracts have very little guaranteed money and can be freed up if need be. The vikes have had a plan in place the last 2 yrs. Unlike most gms our front office plans for the future not just a single yr. Also we hit on a huge part of our draft picks.

42. The Vikings hit on a majority of their draft picks? Is that why the Vikings are good one year bad the next?

43. Rob Brzezinski is a Magician says:
    April 16, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I’m not trying to pick a fight here, but I think it’s an interesting observation that the Packers were desperately in need of an inside linebacker in the 2015 draft but they passed on Kendricks ……….. Now Kendricks is one of the best inside linebackers in the NFL
    ________________

Who had more tackles last year, Blake Martinez or Kendricks? I’m not trying to pick a fight here, but I think it’s an interesting observation.

44. packertruth says:
    April 17, 2018 at 1:45 am

—————————————

The Vikings defense lead the league in 3rd down conversion percentage. While Martinez was making tackles Kendricks was sipping Gatorade.

45. Happy to see this get done Eric has been a great addition to the team from the start. For the packer fan who asked a question. I have one for you – who is better in coverage Kendricks or Martinez? Kendricks I think is the better of the two all the way around

Martinez’s numbers – 48 tackles (96 combined tackles), 1 sack & 1 INT
    Kendricks numbers – 67 tackles (113 combined tackles), 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 TD

46. Martinez was 48-96-144 combined. Tied for first. Kendricks 46-67-113. A solid 15th.

I grant you Kendricks is superior in coverage, but note for the record Martinez vastly improved his play-action recognition last season.

47. And why do you guys think literally every contract the Vikings sign is too much money? What in the world would you have them do? Players cost money, and it cost money to keep your own players. I’ve literally never seen any of you guys be like “ya know, that’s an appropriate contract, he’s a talented guy, I have no need to compare him to another player and throw negatives at one or both of them, management sure got this one right, they’ve built a pretty amazing team, think I’ll put my faith in them to do what they’re paid to do”. Ya know, something like that. Been a fan my whole life of this team, and by what I hear and read from other fans of the same team, you wouldn’t be satisfied unless you had the entire pro bowl roster, and you got them all at a discount well below a veteran average. I for one am happy they’re trying to keep the team together and are still able to sign high end free agents. Breathe, smile, we are in good hands and the team looks better than it did last year when we went 13-3. Do you guys wake up thinking about what you want to complain about with this team every day?! Posing negatives about some of the best players we have had at their positions in decades…

48. Martinez’s numbers – 48 tackles (96 combined tackles), 1 sack & 1 INT
    Kendricks numbers – 67 tackles (113 combined tackles), 1 sack, 1 INT and 1 TD

source NFL.com

Martinez is good not Kenricks good.