Brett Favre failed Monday Night Football audition

Getty Images

ESPN wants to bring some sizzle back in Monday Night Football. With future first-ballot Hall-of-Famer Peyton Manning not interested, how about another gold jacket-wearing quarterback with the kind of homespun charm that could bring a “turn out the lights” vibe back to the booth?

Yes, Brett Favre scored an audition for the role of lead analyst at Monday Night Football. According to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post, it didn’t go well, and Favre no longer is under consideration for the gig.

He clearly was at least interested in the job; otherwise, Favre wouldn’t have traveled to Bristol for the screen test. As noted by Kyle Koster of TheBigLead.com, Favre’s history with Jenn Sterger would have made him a potentially curious choice for the job, possibly prompting the kind of pushback that may have forced ESPN to quickly pull the plug.

Per Marchand, in-house candidates like Booger McFarland and Rex Ryan also will audition. With due respect to both of those guys, neither will come close to restoring the luster that the franchise has quickly lost given the recent departures of Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden.

Here’s the bigger question for Bristol: Given the army of NFL analysts currently under contract, can’t ESPN find someone who’d be both competent and compelling in the Monday night booth? At some point, they should just press Kirk Herbstreit and Chris Fowler into service, drop Joe Tessitore to the No. 1 college team, and be done with it.

85 responses to “Brett Favre failed Monday Night Football audition

1. Wasn’t it widely thought that Nnamdi Asomugha was perfect for this? Surprised to not hear his name come up. I know he’s acting now, but this would be steady pay, and he could book acting gigs in the offseason.

2. ESPN should focus more on trying to get the NFL to give them halfway decent games. Jesus could be in the booth and I wouldn’t watch most of these match-ups.

3. Sources said Favre used ‘me’ and ‘I’ over one hundred times during the interview.

4. The networks still don’t get that people just don’t care that much about who’s in the booth.

5. wlubake says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:10 am

———————————————————————————–

They considered Nnamdi…….but found him eating a sandwich in his car.

6. Why would Herbstreit want to leave the greatest job in the world to do MNF? CGD is far more enjoyable than MNF.

7. Herbstreit and Fowler are great at the college game. Don’t move them around and screw up everything ESPN.

8. While Brett may not be the man for the job in the booth on Monday night, I think that there is still a place for him on tv. He is pretty funny doing impersonations of people, maybe he can breath new life into game highlights like the once funny Chris Berman did. I think he would be great in a role like that.

9. endtimesparty says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:24 am

More Chris Collinsworth, Dan Dierdorf, and Matt Christiansen please w half time run by Bob Costas
    —————————
    Collinsworth is awful

10. The best combination in MNF history was Cosell, Meredith, and Gifford – 2 former players (one a straight play-by-play man and one with humor), and a writer/announcer who was outspoken and controversial. ESPN/ABC should try a 3-person team again, with Bob Costas as one of the 3, and maybe Rex Ryan for the humorous part. They definitely need to lighten it up in the booth – Tirico amd Gruden became boring.

11. With all due respect to the author…why on Earth would we want to hear Kirk Herbstreit call NFL football? His gig is college football. And that ain’t changing.

Same with Mayock. His gig is the draft or Notre Dame.

Give us NFL voices for MNF.

Dick Stockton should be the play by play. Dudes voice has been SYNONMOUS with NFL football for games for 4 DECADES! A

The analyst should be someone intelligent and not a criminal…like Greg Olsen.

12. Favre has an IQ of about 79. That is why they don’t want him for the gig. Ever listen to him talk? He was a great quarterback, but dumb as a box of rocks.

13. smarter than you should be hired by ESPN immediately.

Who has ever said “I can’t wait to watch the Gruden show tonight?”

We say, “Are you watching the game?” or the Steelers game, or the Packer game. We even say are you watching the Titans, before we say are you watching Gruden.

I remember when the Giants were terrible and Beasley Reece was part of CBS’ 4th announcing team. Reece was terrible. I still watched because I wanted to see the Giants (even with Joe Pisarcik)

Smarter then you is smarter then ESPN. Its the games/teams not the announcers.

14. Just do this Mystery Science Theater style. Have some die hard fans watch the game from a couch and commentate and drink beer all game. I really don’t need all the insight that a Romo or an Aikman throw in there. I want to watch the game and that’s it. Half the time the game is on anyway I mute it because we have friends over and we’re talking and watching on our own. While we’re at it, give the fan option to choose a camera angle with no commentary, just crowd noise to get the game feel.

15. I would enjoy having Favre on the broadcast for a year—-his personality would result in a unique perspective that many fans could relate to (besides ESPN knows better?!)

16. Most people could tell even without the tryout Favre would be awful UNLESS they go back to the 3 person booth and he played the dandy don role, that might work

17. Isn’t he having CTE issues already? I am not surprised he failed. He’s never been the brightest bulb in the shed.

He’d throw 3 INTs a game within the blink of an eye and then wonder who his team lost.

18. cmonitsfunny says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:46 am

May be due to the “thousands” of concussions he says he had over his career.
    Although he played in hundreds of games.
    ———————-

You think they can only get one per game?

19. How about getting some commentators that are actually entertaining…some of the guys who live-tweet the games are hilarious. Just once, I’d love to hear a commentator say something along the lines of “the secondary couldn’t be more flammable if they were doused with gasoline.” Oh, and MNF didn’t lose it’s luster recently, either…it’s sucked for quite awhile now. Then again, that’s pretty much par for the course at BSPN.

20. joexfed says:

April 17, 2018 at 11:35 am

—————–
    Cossell is the most overrated jerk ever!

21. definitely consider put booger on there. everytime i see him on tv looking so good i remember he came from nothing and its inspiring. man knows the most about football. inspiration to me.

22. There are plenty of really good announcers out in the world if you look hard enough. Can they poach the other networks? Id love to hear Gus Johnson and Steve Tasker together again. And Johnson can make any boring matchup at least sound exciting

23. MNF hasn’t had any “luster” since it was taken off network television. It used to be an event. Now it’s just another game on cable TV. Despite what Fox Sports tries to claim with their ridiculously pandering “America’s Game of the Week” nonsense. Everyone knows the game of the week is now the Sunday night game on NBC.

24. silvernblacksabbath says:
    April 17, 2018 at 12:22 pm

Cossell is the most overrated jerk ever!
    ———————–

Did you mean Costas?

25. ksiner says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:56 am

Sexy Rexy would be a disaster, worse than Dennis Miller. UNWATCHABLE
    ————————-

Miller was okay. It was that blowhard and Cowardly Lion looking Kornheiser that was the disaster.

26. I think whoever you put there, needs to have some personality, and a intimate knowledge of the game. I would think Rex Ryan would be a fun addition just because he may say unintentionally interesting things. Id like a guy who has a dubious filter. He strikes me as that guy.

27. mmack66 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 12:07 pm
    cmonitsfunny says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:46 am

May be due to the “thousands” of concussions he says he had over his career.
    Although he played in hundreds of games.
    ———————-

You think they can only get one per game?
    _________

You think they average multiple concussions per game?

28. If Rex announces I wont watch.

Favre must have said “Do I think I can still play?” a thousand times.

Dude is a stud, but when interviewed he cant be succinct. Not good for the booth.

Romo is pretty damn good, surprisingly.

Let Prime Time call one game, then let Irvin, and so on. Lets rotate it weekly and see who does best.

29. I do not have the sound on when I watch football. I certainly know as much as 80% of these people

30. This is when people should be talking about the fact that he got a 15 on his Wonderlic exam! Keep in mind, this guy admittedly didn’t know what a nickel defense was when he came into the NFL.

31. Booger is a bad joke with worse grammer. Change the sirius channel if he is on. An announcer should speak English. Is that axing too much?

32. Meredith, Cossell, and Gifford were Monday Night Football! Those were my guys in the booth. Games were fun and lively with this threesome. ESPN had a hard time finding anybody that could come close after that. Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden weren’t bad. I don’t like Sean McDounough. I think there wasn’t any chemistry with Jon and Sean, and it was obvious. You have to have good chemistry, especially if it’s a “stinker” of a game.

33. Dennis Miller is available. He’s between Joe Dirt shoots. In all seriousness, I could stomach him when he was in the booth.

Let us once more draft him for the role. He’s last until that one Roger Goodell joke falls flat.

34. When scrolling through the available games to watch on Sunday my criteria is never based on who is calling the game. NEVER. Sure, some guys are more likely to say something worthless and ill-informed, so there is just more to tune-out.

35. shlort says:
    April 17, 2018 at 11:46 am

—————–

Yep.

Mississippi guy. Hunting, fishing, rednecking….That’s about it. The music is killer, though.

36. Kirk Herbstreet? Are u kidding me? More then half the country cant stand the guy. We need someone who isnt self absorbed and wont make the broadcast all about him. We had that wjth Grude :/ and I think its a big reason why the ratings slipped. Also Kirk is 1 of the most biased people in football made even worse bc hes indignant and self righteous about it. Like hes not being biased and its just that OSU is greatest program in sports, has all the best players, while also having all the underrated players. That every other program in the Big 10 js flawed and undeserving while OSU is perfect. That when players from other big schools get in trouble its horrible when OSU players get in trouble its no big deal. And that all these opinions of his arent opinions there facts that cant be questioned.

The guy is literally the worst and if he ever ends up calling an NFL game Im watching I wont be watching. At least not where the NFL will get my ratings from it. Ill stream it muted online just out protest.

The NFL needs to get away from having these personalities in the booth and go back to the days when they just had professionals in the booth. Like MLB is famous for. Its the 1 area where baseball dominates football. Theres a reason why a guy like Harry Kalas has a statue but u will never see 1 of Troy Aikman as an announcer.

37. Interesting that you played the Jenn Sterger card given that Tirico has a well-known (and arguably worse) history with sexual harassment than well, most people. I don’t think Tirico was ever that great or even especially good, he just kept getting gigs so is on all the time…but fortunately, not on Thursdays (or Mondays) anymore.

38. Ed “Guns” Hochuli. As a side benefit, they could do a segment of him arm wrestling the home team coach each week.

39. Well, how about pairing up Brett Favre’s fromunda cheese (or is it fermunda?) with Warren Sapp’s breath? Some may say it stinks while others may think it’ll grow on them.
    I watch football for the game but good commentary certainly helps (for all those saying it doesn’t matter). I would think they could have a The Voice style competition (no seeing or knowing the contestants, only hearing their voice, delivery, & propensity for savvy intellect while not making it rocket science) for the opportunity. Seems pretty simple.

40. At one point in time, Favre was a part-owner of a NASCAR team.

He went to Bristol for the race. He went to the interview so he could write off travel and hotel expenses on his taxes.

The audition was simply a formality. He pooched it intentionally, he doesn’t want the booth.

41. The name isn’t a big deal. It’s like when studios get a ton of different stars to voice an animated movie – no one cares! Oh, the lion is voiced by such-and-such? I like it much better now! Right.

What I want is interesting chit chat about the players and the game. Give me a better technical understanding of what happened on the previous play. If you have time, tell me a little bit about the players, but that’s less important to me. Not that that information can’t be interesting, but so much of the talk in the NFL is just canned sound bites. “We got to sit with him for a bit, he’s such a bright young man…blah blah blah”.

Find a couple of people who have good chemistry, who love the game, and are good at analyzing what they see and can relay that to the audience. Most fans don’t care who they are, the names don’t matter.