Carson Wentz has started running

Getty Images

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz met with the media to provide an update on his recovery from the torn knee ligaments that ended his 2017 season.

Wentz tore his ACL and LCL in a December game against the Rams, which opened the door for Nick Foles to lead the Eagles on a run that culminated in a Super Bowl title. If all goes according to Wentz’s plans, Foles will be back on the sideline when the team plays its next meaningful game.

Wentz said he won’t skip any steps or rush any parts of his rehab, which may mean he remains on the bench during the team’s preseason schedule. He is still targeting a spot in the lineup for Week One of the regular season, though, and gave some positive news about his progress.

“We’ve started the running progression, and all those things,” Wentz said, via Philly.com. “I feel good. … I’m happy with where I’m at.”

There’s a lot of time to go before the Eagles take the field on the first Thursday night of the regular season and more for Wentz to do before there’s real reason to start thinking about his Week One availability, but good news of any kind is better than the alternative for a player on the comeback trail.

38 responses to “Carson Wentz has started running

1. Glad to see Wentz on schedule.I’m a Vikings fan and one thing I don’t like seeing, even for opposing teams is an injury. This league needs bright upcoming stars to carry the torch as these older qbs near the end of the line. Wents iz definitely one of them.

2. Take your time Carlson, all of the Eagles fans have already declared a dynasty…

Your a lock for the next few Super Bowls. Per the fans.

3. Sure can’t ask for a better situation with Foles at the helm until Wentz is 100%. I for one hope Foles is not traded until Wentz is ready and able; however, all it takes on another team’s starter to go down with an offer we “can’t refuse”

4. I feel bad for Carson Wentz. If this kid plays anything but almost perfect ball the fans are going to be screaming for Foles. The fans will turn on him after the first incomplete pass or interception.

5. Huge Carson Wentz fan! Even thou my team is the Vikings. I hope he recovers. He is one of the most fun players to watch in the league. A big reason I am fantasy football champion in my league. Best Waiver pick up for the year! Luckily Blake Bortles got me through the remaining weeks.

6. Hope all goes well. League needs QB’s and he should be up there, health permitting.

PS

Since he said “And all those things”, he’ll make a good coach one day. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I read/heard a coach say “And those types of the things” (Paraphrased or otherwise, close enough).

7. You listen to Skip Bayless to much.

——————————–

cletuspstillwaterjr says:

April 17, 2018 at 3:48 pm

8. patriots123456 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 3:28 pm
    Take your time Carlson, all of the Eagles fans have already declared a dynasty…
    Your a lock for the next few Super Bowls. Per the fans.

WOW still bitter loser? Get over it, you didn’t even spell his name correct idiot. Nobody is stating those things trust me just haters hating.
    #superbowlchamps

9. wentz is under more pressure than any qb in league. anything less than a bowl and he’s gone from hero to bum. not fair, but fans are idiots everywhere.

10. Foles will be insurance if Wentz isn’t ready maybe start a couple games. The team will trade him to a desperate team for a second round pick (more than the compensatory pick they would get for him and sooner) before the trade deadline and after Wentz is full and clear. They suposedly like Sudfield they can roll with him for a bit or sign a veteran.

11. Wentz was d@mn good when he was on the field. That being said, the Eagles won the big game with Foles.

What they can or can’t do with Wentz (in terms of Superbowls) is mere speculation.

That’s all I got.

12. As someone who’s had an ACL replacement …running is step 5 of 40 steps to get back on the field. He’s running forward…he’s not even close to running and cutting on it. He’s got A LONG WAY TO GO. This isn’t a knock on him…it’s great he’s running, but letting people know he won’t be playing until December at the earliest. My bet is he’s out this season…but wishing him luck.

13. Im glad you’re running Carson. Now stop being a tool, saying you’re gonna continue running on the field. You’re not Mike Vick, mmmkay?

You can either save your career and start sliding or wind up forgotten like RG3. Choice is yours.

14. cletuspstillwaterjr says:

April 17, 2018 at 3:48 pm

————————————

No, they won’t. There are only a few Eagles fans who even remotely entertain the idea of Foles over Wentz. The majority miss Carson badly and can’t wait for Foles to head back to the bench.

15. arzcardinals says:
    April 17, 2018 at 4:20 pm

————-

And some of us are medical professionals. Please do not comment on things you apparently do not know enough of. Wentz will be back in September, early October at the latest.

16. ShouldBuffaloStay says:
    April 17, 2018 at 4:35 pm
    How do you leave a super bowl winning QB on a bench tho

——–

When there is a better QB on the roster. Thats when.

17. harrisonhits2 says:
    April 17, 2018 at 4:30 pm
    “And the entire nfl landscape just trembled with fear ….”

Uh, no

———–

Should he. He’s a top 3 QB in the NFL.

18. arzcardinals says:

April 17, 2018 at 4:20 pm

—————————-

What is it like being a finely tuned Professional Athlete with the best trainers at your side? OHHHH, that’s right…you aren’t one.

19. No way Wentz should p[lay until after Thanksgiving. These players kill me with these super human recoveries: everybody want to be like Adrian Peterson and defy the odds. 9 – 12 months is average, COULD BE LONGER. If I’m Jeffery Lurie this guy isn’t taking the field until week 10 at the soonest.

20. As arzcardinals said, me too Im rehabing currently an ACL tear far less worse then Wentz mutliple tears injury, running is just a step along a long and complex recovery.

Like you can be able to run but not have full range of motion, not having regained full muscular mass in that leg (it shrinks almost instantly after the knee cant hold weight), etc. Some pain may still be there.

Also I dont know the timeframe his surgeon will be OK with as far as ligament maturity for heavy loading. People need to understand when ligaments are repaired what is really done is the surgeon will remove the old one, take a ligament somewhere else on the leg (typicaly the hamstring witch has 3 ligaments) and implant that as the new ACL in this case. Then the new ligament will get thicker and its anchors will get stronger with time.

21. Exactly, harrisonhits, when Nick Foles lights you up for 41, what’s the point in worrying about a better player if your bum squad can’t even cheat well enough to beat a backup

22. ajzinnecker says:
    April 17, 2018 at 3:55 pm
    ——-

Just curious. . . . If you picked up wentz on wavers and you started bortles after wentz went down, who did you draft at qb? I drafted wentz in my leagles but got him in the late rounds. I had cam and mariotta as my top qbs. No way we can steal wentz this year.

23. Its funny how hurt patriots fans are. Just check every eagles article and you’ll see the constant whining from new England fans. They’re now obsessed with the eagles. And I bet it bothers them even more that lane johnson was spot on with his assessment of the patriots not being allowed to have fun.

24. No real fan thinks Foles is better than Wentz. Or as good. And that’s not at all a slight on Foles ability. It just is what it is if you wanna compare the players.

25. Patriots fans are crying too hard to realize they’re continuing to inflate Eagles nation’s pride with their trash. They’re not upset with LOSING TO PHILLY straight up, they’re upset because their time draws to an end around the corner.

Count their rings and trophies… even after all of that they’re still BEATEN.

26. ShouldBuffaloStay says:
    April 17, 2018 at 4:35 pm
    How do you leave a super bowl winning QB on a bench tho
    ———————————————–

This will be a valid argument as soon as football becomes an individual sport instead of a team sport.

27. cletuspstillwaterjr says:

April 17, 2018 at 3:48 pm

________________

No chance of that happening bro. I don’t think you understand what he means to us here in Philly. The dude is loved by all and we know what kind of baller the dude is. The hype for this kid is unbelievable. Classy player on and off the field, football junkie, and busts his rear end. The city of Philly always admires players who are give it their all and take accountability. I loved McNabb but that’s the difference and why they would never boo this kid